Poll

Compared to the 90's How is today's music?

Much Better12%12% - 14
Better1%1% - 2
They are different, I like both27%27% - 31
Worse23%23% - 26
Much Worse34%34% - 39
Total: 112
LostMonkey
+2|6549|Norway
I'm 15 and when I hear a pop/rap/trance/techno songs from today I feel like hitting the artist with a REALY heavy bass guitars smasing their oh so "sexy" faces. Co'mon artist are supposed to be the meanest, ugliest people in the world!! Take Bon Scott or Angus Young for an example.
And their definatley not supposed to take drugs. Drink to they choke in their own vomit I say!

Oh, and the bands I listn to are:
Deep Purple, been at 2 concerts this year!! \m/
AC/DC
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Guns N Roses
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Bon Jovi, I know they sux ><
Creed
3 Doors Down
Foo Fighters
Blues Brother
Godsmack
Disturbed
Rage Against the Machines
I listn to classic music some times too, and good old pop from the 50's and up.
znozer
Viking fool - Crazy SWE
+162|6514|Sverige (SWE)
Every one just Rip, sample, steal, remix or re do.... so the old is best......................
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6679|Wilmington, DE, US

LostMonkey wrote:

Creed
No.
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6779|Marathon, Florida Keys
Todays music is:

Rap- Lets sing about how i rape/kill my girlfriend, and put as many swearwords in a 10 second period as possible
Others- Emo songs, girlie songs, and those songs with annyoing fuckers that dont know how to sing so they scream at the top of their lungs into the mic.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
eyesteponbabies
Banned
+13|6401|St.Louis, Missouri
I prefer all music, except for recent..and new rap (just hate it).
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6450|Somewhere else

ID like to see a little TOOL on that list.  And if anyone doesnt like PRIMUS, theyhave deep issues with reality and everything fantastic.  Alice In Chains are Eternal (R.I.P. Layne Staley), Badmotorfinger was too much kickass to handle, almost.  Pantera rocked faces so hard Botox cries like a bitch. Primus conjured up the most times "what the fuck?" was ever said at one concert.  TOOL wrote about anal sex.  Nirvana soared and fell (not a HUGE fan though). IT was a music era for those with true grit.

Now, the radio rants about today's rock: Nickelback. Fuck Nickelback Fuck thier sellout JVC ads, fuck thier shallow repetitive shit collection of piss poor sounds.  A new rapper comes out each week, less talented than the last. I was never a fan of rap, but the 90s rap spoke of politics and life. Now MAINSTREAM rap is about shaking asses and bling bling.  I choke slam women at parties that dance to this repugnant shit, I then rub thier faces off with my chest hair..

EDIT: tear thier faces off, I meant tear, not rub...rub seems too polite for a trespass so grave...

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2006-10-23 14:43:29)

ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6672
GOOD rapping = Beastie Boys, Rage Against the Machine, RUN DMC and of course DE LA SOUL!

Remember them? They were the rapper who had fun and didn;t talk about shooting things.
.|microphage
+4|6603|Vancouver, BC
coldplay! only band besides some others i actually listen too in the 21st century
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6692|Eastern PA
80's music rocks your shit to hell and back. As far as the most productive era in American music, I'd have to say it would be a 15 year period from 1965 to 1980. You had the beginning of rap, modern electronic music, metal, punk, avant-garde jazz, free jazz, jazz-rock, funk, and generally excellent pop music as well (Beatles, Led Zep, Sabbath, James Brown, Parliament and Funkadelic, Hendrix, and many, MANY more).
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

RoosterCantrell wrote:

ID like to see a little TOOL on that list.  And if anyone doesnt like PRIMUS, theyhave deep issues with reality and everything fantastic.  Alice In Chains are Eternal (R.I.P. Layne Staley), Badmotorfinger was too much kickass to handle, almost.  Pantera rocked faces so hard Botox cries like a bitch. Primus conjured up the most times "what the fuck?" was ever said at one concert.  TOOL wrote about anal sex.  Nirvana soared and fell (not a HUGE fan though). IT was a music era for those with true grit.

Now, the radio rants about today's rock: Nickelback. Fuck Nickelback Fuck thier sellout JVC ads, fuck thier shallow repetitive shit collection of piss poor sounds.  A new rapper comes out each week, less talented than the last. I was never a fan of rap, but the 90s rap spoke of politics and life. Now MAINSTREAM rap is about shaking asses and bling bling.  I choke slam women at parties that dance to this repugnant shit, I then rub thier faces off with my chest hair..

EDIT: tear thier faces off, I meant tear, not rub...rub seems too polite for a trespass so grave...
Thanks mate, I forgot Tool and Primus although I have all their albums.
And I also forgot an amazing album from Stabbing Westward called Wither Blister Burn & Peel.

Last edited by sergeriver (2006-10-23 15:27:08)

RoosterCantrell
+399|6450|Somewhere else

AND a bit of Sepultura TOO!

The only good things to come out semi recently are MuDvAyNe, System of a Down, American Head Charge, Perfect Circle..... (for the most part)

And for all you England folks. One Minute Silence? good band. Damn it Yap. why'd you end it?!

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2006-10-23 15:32:27)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Added, thx.
RoosterCantrell
+399|6450|Somewhere else

The only good things to come out semi recently are MuDvAyNe, System of a Down, American Head Charge, Perfect Circle..... (for the most part)

And for all you England folks. One Minute Silence? good band. Damn it Yap. why'd you end it?!

Repost because of editing...Sorry.
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6601|USA
I like them both but I am just glad bobby brown and whitney houston are has beens now..
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6679|Wilmington, DE, US
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina
Lol.  Nice finding.  Anyway we already knew Nickelback sucked.  It's girlie.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Eh, there is good music in most generations.  You just have to know what to look for.  Punk in the 70's and '80s was great, in the '90s and lately it hasn't been that great.  Reggae is only getting better and better, and there is a great indie hip-hop scene.  I wouldn't know much on the hard-rock level, because I tend to only listen to '80s (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera, etc) as far as hard rock.

Most mainstrem pop music they (the man) play on the radio stations sucks and always has.  That will probably never change.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Eh, there is good music in most generations.  You just have to know what to look for.  Punk in the 70's and '80s was great, in the '90s and lately it hasn't been that great.  Reggae is only getting better and better, and there is a great indie hip-hop scene.  I wouldn't know much on the hard-rock level, because I tend to only listen to '80s (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera, etc) as far as hard rock.

Most mainstrem pop music they (the man) play on the radio stations sucks and always has.  That will probably never change.
I don't say the 80's music was bad, au contraire.  I'm saying that the music in this decade sucks, exceptions made (SOAD and few more).
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6596|Sea to globally-cooled sea
We like 90s better because, honestly, radio sucks now.

If radio were better, people would enjoy the music better.  but who the fuck listens to the radio anymore?  it absolutely blows!!1!
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6603|USA
ok, besides Audioslave. Todays music sux. well, that and Sufjan Stevens. who is god.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

G3|Genius wrote:

We like 90s better because, honestly, radio sucks now.

If radio were better, people would enjoy the music better.  but who the fuck listens to the radio anymore?  it absolutely blows!!1!
But, radio is a mirror of what music is today.  I know the companies pay to put their shit on air, but anyway in the 90's you had material to put on, and now you don't have anything decent.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6643|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
I'll talk from a "Dance" point of view

Todays music is shite.  It peaked in '98, I happened to catch the best year of dance music whilst Radio 1 were in Ibiza for 2 weeks.  We were both there for the same time and it was excellent.  Ok I'm older now and a family man but I wouldnt return to the "white" isle instead id go for 2 weeks in Disney land.

Compare Cafe Del Mar, Greece 3000, Nalin & Kane with whats on offer today. Its shite.  Even Pete Tong can't be arsed anymore.

Drum n Bass is shit, House is shit, the clubs have gone commerical, you even get frigging phone ring tunes through the tracks now.

Ive clubbed in the best clubs in the world at the best time, if you love/loved dance music like me you'd consider yourself very lucky, young man.

Lets look at Rap:

Biggie n 2pac and a little bit of Jay-z, whats on offer now?  LLcoolJ raps to chicks, Nelly is smelly and the rest rap about prision. Get a grip, wheres the beef? 50 Cents is about the best but if he pulls up at my house dressed in them clothes expecting to take my step daughter out he got another thing coming!! Scruffy Rascal.   

As for reggae: Dont get me started, I cant even make out what the fuck their on about where as I could 10 years back.

Im on old fart who listens to old music. Before work today, Nina Simone n Meatlump, loaf whatever. Tonight it'll be, Ministry of Sound, 98-2000 era.
LostMonkey
+2|6549|Norway

Ikarti wrote:

LostMonkey wrote:

Creed
No.
HAHA Higher and Don't Stop Dancing, love'em!
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6790
did i stumble and fall into some twilight-zone episode where young people act like cantankerous old fogies? wtf is up with this ass-backward 'the present sucks and the future will suck worse' brand of nostalgicism?

the reason you think today's music sucks is because you're listening to the wrong music. just like science, art can only progress forward, and today's music is higher quality and more varied than ever.

remember that today there are more musicians than ever before in human history, and with so many people donig it, there's bound to be a shitload of trash. but the SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO has not changed - just as there is more bad music, there is also more good music today.

most of us form our musical preferences early in life, and we tend to get attached to them. it's no surprise that the people here will prefer music from the 90s - that's probably when your musical tastes were being solidified. you simple LIKE THE 90s MORE, that doesn't make the music BETTER.

most of you are also making a stupid logical fallacy. you compare the trash music of today with the best examples you could think of from the 90s, and then conclude the 90s were better? what about the vast amount of shitty music from back then that no one will ever care to listen to again? am i the only one who realizes that the shit they played on the radio was every bit as bad back then? but of course, you don't remember the bad stuff, because you're all too busy pretending like you can make broadsweeping assertions about how much today's music sucks.

the music of the 90s didn't die - it will always be around, through bands that are still together, recordings, and covers. the new stuff being made today can only add to the total body of music on the planet, and give us that much more music to listen to. i'm guessing most of us here are in the twenties-thirties age range, ffs you already sound like AARP members. stop sitting with your thumb in your poop chute and go try something new, instead of listening to that pearl jam CD for the 1000th time.

Last edited by Krappyappy (2006-10-25 14:44:22)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard