Mad Ad
+178|6509|England, UK
Well I just got my air combat medal so im pleased about that, but now I want to try boost up my chopper skills and its doing my head in that I cant hit a barn door at 10 paces with the FFAR missiles.

Ive got over 2200 chopper kills so far but only a 0.9 KD, mainly cuz when I try to gun I get shakey jakey as my pilot so I end up piloting and while I might get plenty of driver points, I get next to no kills cuz I cant aim the rockets for toffee.

Ive tried watching these youtube vids and fired off '00s of rockets in empty servers but all I can say is mostly they seem to hit a little below the center reticule....sort of, mainly, if the wind is in the right direction.

The only thing I can safely say is when in a full tailspin, they hit wherever the hud sidebar is at the time you fire, great! except chances are the last thing im doing in a tailspin is firing rockets.

Otherwise when im going up or down or just jinking about they seem to have a mind of their own, the only hits I get are if I do a fullspeed nose down flypast and slam a whole pod into whatever is on the ground using that moving horizontal bar on the hud as a guide (which is usually above the center reticule by then).

So please, post your rocket tips for a chopper improver....all the guides seem to focus on keeping in the air and giving the gunner good TV shots- something I know and practice doing already.

thanks
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6647
aim at the tail
Simon
basically
+838|6656|UK
Mad Ad
+178|6509|England, UK
im talking about the pilots ffar's not the TV btw
cablecopulate
+449|6736|Massachusetts.
Practice.
Simon
basically
+838|6656|UK

Mad Ad wrote:

im talking about the pilots ffar's not the TV btw
Did you search ? Or look in the guides section ? I'm sure they have tips in there.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85

cablecopulate wrote:

Practice.
A shitload of practice
JaMDuDe
+69|6775
Solo chopper a lot, and if your still not that good after a few dozen hours find a new game, your officially a permanent noob at bf2.
Flaming_Maniac
Actually I reccomend flying with a gunner, if you can steal his kills you know you're good. Mostly you will probably be trying to take out infantry, which is about the hardest thing to do, if you can get good at the armor will be no problem and choppers will be easier.
Mad Ad
+178|6509|England, UK
thanks for the replies (and that vote of confidence jamdude lol!)....yes I have searched, read guides here and other places but i dont see much on the fixed rockets.

Where they hit seems to change whether im going up, down, dogfighting, going sideways, fast slow etc etc etc arrghhh and I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb that you develop as a helo pro for hitting things with the rockets.

As I said I already have over 2200 chopper kills since I bought the game in Feb, so im not a complete noob, just half a noob that wants to get better....I do prefer to fly with a gunner however some of them are, urm, less than observant sometimes   and I want to be able to cover their weaknesses by killing important things that they dont... like AA or SRAW jockeys.

cheers
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6516|USA
capains know best...aim for the tail
shadowkila
+26|6408|Canada

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Actually I recommend flying with a gunner, if you can steal his kills you know you're good. Mostly you will probably be trying to take out infantry, which is about the hardest thing to do, if you can get good at the armor will be no problem and choppers will be easier.
Your probably one of those pilots i hate flying with that trys to get all the kills for himself and ends up crashing into a tree in the meantime.
>A pilot flys (except special occasions) and the gunner kills, as simple as that.
Mad Ad
+178|6509|England, UK

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

capains know best...aim for the tail
last time I checked, troops or AA or tanks dont have much of a tail to hit...but im willing to try
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6529
For FFAR aiming I would suggest playing lots of SF and Apache. Play some iron gator and practice taking down the Hind. Anticapate where the chopper is going to be and make your shots count. Dont shoot all over the place like a moron. I ussualy can score around 5 or more hits if the other pilot gives me that sort of oppurtunity.

Also wait for an oppurtunity to fire your missiles. When your enemy is showing his side to you or he lost his speed.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
i find if you aim dead between the aim reticule, and the one that moves according to speed, they hit every time
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6645
Well, when you are moving, the rockets basically go farther than you think they will. So if you are going forward, fire before your reticule or w/e you want to call it gets to the target. Same for strafing side to side. How far it goes past it all depends on your speed and angle so it's almost always intinct, unless someone out there has come up with a system for using the markers on the screen. I know I haven't, mainly because my instinct works just fine.

Also, what I would recommend for taking out tanks and armor at first is to make good use of the s key, or deacceleration. It allows you to stay on your target longer, and make it much easier to line up your shots. The better you get at it, the higher angle you can come down at armor from.

Last edited by Ajax_the_Great1 (2006-10-21 12:44:45)

Flaming_Maniac

shadowkila wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Actually I recommend flying with a gunner, if you can steal his kills you know you're good. Mostly you will probably be trying to take out infantry, which is about the hardest thing to do, if you can get good at the armor will be no problem and choppers will be easier.
Your probably one of those pilots i hate flying with that trys to get all the kills for himself and ends up crashing into a tree in the meantime.
>A pilot flys (except special occasions) and the gunner kills, as simple as that.
Did you look at my stats at all? over 9,000 driver kill assists, 2,000 helo kills. I always fly for my gunners, but when there is a whole bunch of infantry and your gunner is mowing them down, its good practice to try to steal his kills.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard