Mafia47
+27|6711|Chicago
I'm planning on buying a new computer for $1,100-$1,300 (no monitor) and i'm not sure where to get it and what exactly to get...I know buying at retail stores is really stupid because everything is overpriced, but getting things at like dell and gateways just the same. So, i looked at www.cyberpowersystem.com and they had great computers you could buy cheaply, but i read that they have HORRIBLE reviews. i know new egg is a good site but i'm not smart enough to be able to assemble the computer myself once i get the parts...so thats step 1 in my help i need...lol

step 2 lol...what to get?

i don't really care between intel and amd config. i just know that for my price range i should go with 3.4 ghzs (intel) and amd 3200-3600. i know that i want at least 1024 mb of ram and that a huge hard drive wouldn't be that important just like 80-120? 160? my graphics card would (hopefully) be a 7800 gt 256 mb...and thats about all i really know what i want/could get...i know nothing about motherboards, sound cards, power supply, anything else i missed....

my biggest problem i guess is where to get it from because like i said i don't know how to put my own computer together, but i don't really want to buy from like bestbuy or gateway.com (to pricey) any sites anyone knows that are really reliable that build your computer and ship it out cheaply all i really know is

www.cyberpowersystem.com and thats gotten bad reviews but...does that really matter? anyone bought from here? well thanks lol
NamelessMarine
+0|6705
My Case and parts (without monitor, I already had it) cost under 1000, including the fact that I ordered HL2...I'd recomend building your own or getting someone to build it for you after you order parts.  If you where near me I'd build it (I dont' charge much) but I dont think you are.

And yes, newegg is great.
NJG HukaMaster
+1|6745

Mafia47 wrote:

I'm planning on buying a new computer for $1,100-$1,300 (no monitor) and i'm not sure where to get it and what exactly to get...I know buying at retail stores is really stupid because everything is overpriced, but getting things at like dell and gateways just the same. So, i looked at www.cyberpowersystem.com and they had great computers you could buy cheaply, but i read that they have HORRIBLE reviews. i know new egg is a good site but i'm not smart enough to be able to assemble the computer myself once i get the parts...so thats step 1 in my help i need...lol

step 2 lol...what to get?

i don't really care between intel and amd config. i just know that for my price range i should go with 3.4 ghzs (intel) and amd 3200-3600. i know that i want at least 1024 mb of ram and that a huge hard drive wouldn't be that important just like 80-120? 160? my graphics card would (hopefully) be a 7800 gt 256 mb...and thats about all i really know what i want/could get...i know nothing about motherboards, sound cards, power supply, anything else i missed....

my biggest problem i guess is where to get it from because like i said i don't know how to put my own computer together, but i don't really want to buy from like bestbuy or gateway.com (to pricey) any sites anyone knows that are really reliable that build your computer and ship it out cheaply all i really know is

www.cyberpowersystem.com and thats gotten bad reviews but...does that really matter? anyone bought from here? well thanks lol
Okay,  Heres what you need.  Grab a copy of last months PC Gamer. They show you how to build a sweat rig with dual vid cards atholon 64, a pimped out case, etc for way cheap.  I built it for fun and it rocks!!!!!!!  Now you can buy my ole' rig if you want, I'll sell cheap.
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA
^ Same.
wait u built the system they made in the magazine?
oh yea just search on yahoo or google on how to build a computer?  wikibooks has a good section on building comps
NJG HukaMaster
+1|6745

Maj.Do wrote:

^ Same.
wait u built the system they made in the magazine?
oh yea just search on yahoo or google on how to build a computer?  wikibooks has a good section on building comps
Yes sir, I did, 600 watt power supply and all
Jodah3
+1|6709
Do not, I repeat, do NOT buy a CyberPower computer.  Had a family member get one of those a year or two ago and it was hell.  First, they gave him a smaller RAM stick than was ordered, as well as a processor that was 200Mhz slower than ordered (the packing slip/receipt showed the correct hardware, but what came inside the box was wrong).

Then, it took a half dozen calls to actually get a person instead of an answering machine (no messages were returned), and at that point we got some lame excuse as to why the equipment could not be returned or exchanged.  He never did get it returned either.  It could've been a fluke, but it was the worst experience I've seen with an online purchase.

If you're unfamiliar with a online retailer, find them in here: http://www.resellerratings.com

You can get a good idea on the reliability of some people.
Sparky13
+1|6690
go to this website and learn how to build a computer, very helpful, helped me when i built this rig, http://motherboards.org/articles/guides/924_1.html
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6730|San Antonio, Texas

NJG HukaMaster wrote:

Okay,  Heres what you need.  Grab a copy of last months PC Gamer. They show you how to build a sweat rig with dual vid cards atholon 64, a pimped out case, etc for way cheap.  I built it for fun and it rocks!!!!!!!  Now you can buy my ole' rig if you want, I'll sell cheap.
Hey! A fellow PC gamer reader! (The PC was ~ $1,800)

Anyways, the best thing to do is build your own computer (as previously stated). Those computers at www.cyberpowersystem.com are cheap for a reason:

Jodah3 wrote:

Do not, I repeat, do NOT buy a CyberPower computer.  Had a family member get one of those a year or two ago and it was hell.  First, they gave him a smaller RAM stick than was ordered, as well as a processor that was 200Mhz slower than ordered (the packing slip/receipt showed the correct hardware, but what came inside the box was wrong).

Then, it took a half dozen calls to actually get a person instead of an answering machine (no messages were returned), and at that point we got some lame excuse as to why the equipment could not be returned or exchanged.  He never did get it returned either.  It could've been a fluke, but it was the worst experience I've seen with an online purchase.
I suggest going to www.tigerdirect.com for your computer parts, that's where I went to get my parts. I don't like newegg.com because it's cheap for a reason (hmm deja vu...) and that reason is, most of the products are sold OEM meaning you don't get the cables, software, ect. for them.
NJG HukaMaster
+1|6745
It wouldv'e cost $1700 but I pieced out things like ram, and video cards, as well as hard drive, etc.  It was a good project.  Probably a 2 on the cuss factor and a 8 on the easy factor.

And Yes PC Gamer rules.

I know those guys play. We should find their stats by looking at their screenshots in the Mag

it would be like PCG_Norm, etc.
Jodah3
+1|6709

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

I suggest going to www.tigerdirect.com for your computer parts, that's where I went to get my parts. I don't like newegg.com because it's cheap for a reason (hmm deja vu...) and that reason is, most of the products are sold OEM meaning you don't get the cables, software, ect. for them.
I happen to like both newegg and tigerdirect, and you are correct, newegg is able to sell alot of its parts cheaper because they are OEM.  But that is not necessarily a bad thing if you know what you are doing.  OEM does not mean that the part itself is of a lesser quality, it just means that you don't get all of the "extras" that are included within a retail package, most of it you will never use anyways.  Just make sure you read the description and know exactly which cables etc. are included with your purchase in case you need to add anything to your order.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.

NJG HukaMaster wrote:

And Yes PC Gamer rules.

I know those guys play. We should find their stats by looking at their screenshots in the Mag

it would be like PCG_Norm, etc.
//off-topic//

Yeah I've been reading since about 1995...(God that was a long time ago...)

Here: http://bf2s.com/findplayer.php?s=PCG_%2A

LOL at: http://bf2s.com/player/46203650/

//Back on-topic//

Jodah3 wrote:

...it just means that you don't get all of the "extras" that are included within a retail package, most of it you will never use anyways...
It would be nice to have the software to install the product...It sucks when you get a hard drive that needs drivers to work, but you can't install them because you don't have them...( I had to get on my other computer and download the drivers, burn them, and then load them.) Some people arn't as lucky to have a 2ed computer.

Last edited by {M5}Sniper3 (2005-12-14 21:24:18)

Xponential
+0|6734
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

The reason Newegg is usually the cheapest is b/c they're arguably the best hardware site on the net, hands down.  Their customer service is by far the best I've ever seen.  I've ordered thousands of dollars worth of hardware from them without a single problem.  There is a reason they have such high ratings with sites like BizRate.com and ResellerRatings.com, b/c they're one of the best.

P.S. I don't work for them, but I am a rabid fan
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA
wow u built the comp in the mag lol.  name the specs iforgot
Jodah3
+1|6709

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

It would be nice to have the software to install the product...It sucks when you get a hard drive that needs drivers to work, but you can't install them because you don't have them...( I had to get on my other computer and download the drivers, burn them, and then load them.) Some people arn't as lucky to have a 2ed computer.
Well, most harddrives are plug-and-play, but I understand what you're saying.  I never said that OEM is for everybody, but it's there as a cheaper alternative to retail for those who would prefer to go that route.  My CPU came as OEM, it was in a plastic case, inside bubblewrap, inside a plain cardboard box.  No I did not get a fancy booklet with it, but I paid about 80 bucks less than the retail version.  And that booklet is something that would sit in my desk and never be opened.  It's all about your preference.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.

Maj.Do wrote:

PSU: 600 watt
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
ASUS A8N-SLI ATX
512 (2 x 256)
2 Geforce 6800GT
CD Drive: Plextor PX-740A
320GB WD hard drive
Sound Blaster X-Fi ExtremeMusic

All for $1,776.
NJG HukaMaster
+1|6745

Maj.Do wrote:

I Know, it was a funny idea at the time, and I kinda wanted to see if it would work
specs are...

CASE:    ASpire x-Nav
PS         Enermax EG701AX 600-watt
MB        ASUS A8n-sli
RAM      2 gigs ddram (old pc)
VC's      2 PNY Geforce 6800gts (I already had 1 which is what made me really want to build this machine)
HD        320 gig smoething or other
NJG HukaMaster
+1|6745
would have cost me 1700, but it ran about 1100 becuase of swapping out Hardware

- 324 for Vid Card
- 160 for hard drive
- 88 for ram

Thats dollars, for those who are overseas.

Oh and I already had windows XP, so FU Microsoft

Last edited by NJG HukaMaster (2005-12-14 21:41:45)

LitterBox
+3|6684|The Land of Strippers and Blow
I don't work for the egg, but I do really like the site and the service.  I check at least once a day and at least half of my comp came from them.  That PC Gamer was a very good step by step guide and the rig he put together would play any modern game with ease.  If you don't want to spend 1800 bucks then substitute for less expensive items.  OEM = less expensive which means you can give more of your hard earned money to the bloodsuckers at EA!  Dammit!  LOL
Stunty13
+0|6704
If all your looking for is the tower, then maybe you should go to the alienware website and build a computer that will fit your wallet
Jodah3
+1|6709
"Alienware" and "fit your wallet" don't belong in the same sentence
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA
haha^
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6814|Waikato, Aotearoa
Despite what other people are saying, to run games like BF2, you really dont need the latest and greatest components available.
Try something like this (my old system)

Asus P4P-800 motherboard (skt 478)
P4 3.2 CPU
1 GB 400MHz generic RAM
80 GB Seagate IDE HDD
GeForce 6600GT (maybe the 6800 if the price haas dropped) video card
Pioneer 108-D DVD writer
17'' Viewsonic CRT Monitor

As I said not the latest and greatest, but sufficient to run BF2 (which what you want right??)
Altho my original video card was the FX5900, and the CPU was a 2.8GHz o/c to 3.1GHz, but that was in May 2K4
psychotoxic187
+11|6679
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/conf … spx?mid=70

Here's a good place to buy for good prices. I picked this one and changed a few things, and came to $1400. I put in the 7800gt, the AMD 4000+, and the creative x-fi, and took out the speakers with it. If that's to much, change processor to 3500, and it will be $1300, but I recommend the 4000.
Jodah3
+1|6709

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

Despite what other people are saying, to run games like BF2, you really dont need the latest and greatest components available.
Try something like this (my old system)

Asus P4P-800 motherboard (skt 478)
P4 3.2 CPU
1 GB 400MHz generic RAM
80 GB Seagate IDE HDD
GeForce 6600GT (maybe the 6800 if the price haas dropped) video card
Pioneer 108-D DVD writer
17'' Viewsonic CRT Monitor

As I said not the latest and greatest, but sufficient to run BF2 (which what you want right??)
Altho my original video card was the FX5900, and the CPU was a 2.8GHz o/c to 3.1GHz, but that was in May 2K4
Lol, that's almost identical to what I run.  In summer 03 I built the following:

Asus p4p800 mb
p4 2.4 HT cpu
1GB kingston 400mhz pc3200
80GB SATA  ---> crashed 3 months ago, now running 80GB IDE
Geforce FX5600 ---> now upgraded to 6600GT
52x cd-rom
17" Viewsonic CRT ---> upgraded to 19" flat panel (Samsung N930)

Original price was $820
I've dropped a couple hundred into the upgrades over last 2 years, but the system runs great.  No need for a top of the line IMO.
Darth_Rambo
+22|6677|Raleigh, NC
These guys build great gaming PC's...............www.digitalstormonline.com

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard