mrchinchin25
+14|6416
You could try HijackThis too.... see what that finds.....
{HMS}_Sir_Del_Boy
+69|6719|th3 unkn0wn

Viper007Bond wrote:

There is no spyware in BF2142. I just spent the past 3 hours (1.3 million files) running deep, full spyware scans using both Windows Defender and Adaware. Neither returned any results. So that right there answers the question if there is anything running while 2142 is not open (which I doubted from the beginning).

Now of course there can still be code within 2142 itself which tracks what ads you look at / view / whatever or more likely, where you are in the world and what ads to send to you (no sense in sending you ads for a company that doesn't exist where you are), but who really cares about that? It's not spying on your PC, it's just serving ads.
No dissing of EA?!?! He's an undercover EA exec defending the damn game. KILL HIM!!!

Last edited by {HMS}_Sir_Del_Boy (2006-10-18 07:59:51)

CITYHUNT3R
+15|6478|Winnipeg
I'm not as concerned about my privacy as I am about system slowdown (sad, I know ). I would hate for these ads to increase lag while I'm playing.
SchmilK
+4|6654
I've only been on the internet since the beginning...and in such i've seen lots of software get used by me and people around me...BUT...one thing always has remained true.  FREEWARE CONTAINS ADVERTISEMENTS and if you choosee to pay for registration, those advertisemetns are nicely removed.

HEY EA WTF!!?!?!?!! GIMME MY MONEY BACK IF YOU GONNA SPAM ME!!!!!!!
LaneLander
+1|6411

SchmilK wrote:

Me too, Well I paid already.  I just want the game with no crap, not even your stupid assed hey look at what er have now at ea.  Oh and if you click on me I will close the game down and open a web page.  You would think that they would figure out that people can do more that run one program at a time.

LaneLander

Oh I am still calling a lawyer about this.
Soldier-Of-Wasteland
Mephistopheles
+40|6666|Land of the Very Cold
Does anyone have, or can post actual in game screenshot of advertisment so we can see ? Not the photoshoped one.

manitobapaintballa
+32|6629

LaneLander wrote:

SchmilK wrote:

Me too, Well I paid already.  I just want the game with no crap, not even your stupid assed hey look at what er have now at ea.  Oh and if you click on me I will close the game down and open a web page.  You would think that they would figure out that people can do more that run one program at a time.

LaneLander

whats that going to do you got the card saying that if you install the game you are consenting to the ip trace
Soldier-Of-Wasteland
Mephistopheles
+40|6666|Land of the Very Cold

manitobapaintballa wrote:

LaneLander wrote:

SchmilK wrote:

LaneLander

whats that going to do you got the card saying that if you install the game you are consenting to the ip trace
It's because the card is in the box of the game (or on a file when you install), thus there was no way to know before hand. Knowing such a fact before buying would help. Maybe a notice above the games on the shelves.

Yes lots of us know now because many forums talk about it, but technicaly we only find out once the game has been bought, opened and thus non-refundable.
SchmilK
+4|6654

RoosterCantrell wrote:

You have been awarded: Meritorious Consumer Medal

Meritorious Consumer Medal is awarded to players completing the following Criteria:

50 Global Hours viewing in game Ad
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Belgrade
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Cerbere Landing
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Fall of Berlin
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Minsk
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Verdun
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Camp Gibraltar
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Suez Canal
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Shuhia Taiba
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Sidi Power Plant
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Tunis Harbor
BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!   That post just made all this IGA shit worth while!  LOLOLOLOL
LaneLander
+1|6411

RoosterCantrell wrote:

You have been awarded: Meritorious Consumer Medal

Meritorious Consumer Medal is awarded to players completing the following Criteria:

50 Global Hours viewing in game Ad
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Belgrade
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Cerbere Landing
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Fall of Berlin
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Minsk
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Verdun
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Camp Gibraltar
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Suez Canal
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Shuhia Taiba
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Sidi Power Plant
6 Minutes IAR viewing in game Ad In Tunis Harbor
OH MY TOO FUNNY, YES I AM STILL YELLING.  I NEED TO STOP.  DOES ANYONE HAVE A ZANEX?
1800fist4u
+0|6411|Albury, Australia
I read in an article on planet battlefield that BF2142 will have in game advertising.  The advertisements vary depending on what 2142 finds in your browser cookies....

Bloody great...  I'll be lining up the killer shot on a mech only to be distracted by an advertisement for Playboy or Hustler on a nearby bill board.

Anyway, how do you guys feel about this?  (Be gentle, it's my first post)
siciliano732
+202|6659|New York
im an senior advertising major....but im not sure how i feel about it....i feel like our society is so swamped with advertisements as it is, and then to put them in games...i think thats just stupid....the only way i can see that fitting in is if you have city maps and stuff but overall...i dont like the idea.  Yea there is money to be made and companies im sure will start advertising in games but...i still dont think its a good idea....especially if these companies go out and drop million to a company like EA to incorporate their advertisments or brand into the game somehow....
Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6767
Ok there is like 5 threads on this now...can we stop it with all the extra advertising threads
reyalP
+0|6411
I think what they did was shady!  There should have been notification on the outside of the box instead of inside.  Once you buy the game and open it you can't return it.  That to me is a shady sales tactic.  Also, they are making more money now due to sales and advertising revenue.  Pass some of that on to the consumer.  I don't have a problem with advertising in games if that will bring the sales price down but i do have a problem with third party apps on my computer wheter snooping or not running in the background.  I'm holding off on this game until I hear more about it.
siciliano732
+202|6659|New York

1800fist4u wrote:

(Be gentle, it's my first post)
jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6536|Singapore
as long as it doesnt cause extra lag/CTDs/damage to my computer, i dont mind
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6802

siciliano732 wrote:

im an senior advertising major....but im not sure how i feel about it....i feel like our society is so swamped with advertisements as it is, and then to put them in games...i think thats just stupid....the only way i can see that fitting in is if you have city maps and stuff but overall...i dont like the idea.  Yea there is money to be made and companies im sure will start advertising in games but...i still dont think its a good idea....especially if these companies go out and drop million to a company like EA to incorporate their advertisments or brand into the game somehow....
Adverts have been in games for several years already.  Anyway, what do I think?  I think looking at the current threads in a forum is a good idea, so you don't start a topic that's already been done to the death.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=48992
1800fist4u
+0|6411|Albury, Australia
I'd be half tempted to find a way to disable it...   but that'll probably cause punkbuster to throw a fit
Hallvard
+262|6532|North Norway

a lot of games have ads, and it gets more and more common, so I'm not surprised that 2142 have them...
Deader
+7|6802|TN, USA
I've decided that I don't like the idea of paying them to advertise to me. If I pay for the game I shouldn't have to deal with annoying adverts while I play. Much like websites that provide services minus ad's if you pay for membership, I think if I have to deal with advertising in game I shouldn't have to pay for the game client. The advertisers is who should be paying for the client in that instance. I've asked EA for a refund on my copy since I purchased through the web directly from them and I haven't installed it as of yet. We'll see how that works out.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6559|UK

aardfrith wrote:

siciliano732 wrote:

Adverts have been in games for several years already.  Anyway, what do I think?  I think looking at the current threads in a forum is a good idea, so you don't start a topic that's already been done to the death.

Indeed, you only need to play an EA sport's title to see advertising everywhere.
saber66
+12|6466
well i picked up my pre order today at best buy...and all i can say is that ea is really pissing me off...bf2142 isa the last game im buying  from them

wat is up wiiht the in game advertising tho....why would they do that to us

seems like EA jsut buttfucked millions a people simoltaniously
siciliano732
+202|6659|New York

Bell wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

siciliano732 wrote:

Indeed, you only need to play an EA sport's title to see advertising everywhere.
yea, i guess what im gettin at is like...with EA Sports games which i play all the time...i see them but dont even notice them but i dont think they are actual company advertisements rather than knock offs to just give the effects...plus there is advertising everywhere in sports.  What im sayin is on the "battlefield" per se, your not goin to see advertisements unless your in a city or something like that....you know what i mean?

Edit: actually i take that back about the knock-off ads....cuz now i think about it the new NCAA College Football has Coke ads everywhere and Fifa 06 and the World Cup game have actual ads....my bad.  But, its sports and advertising in sports go hand in hand.

Last edited by siciliano732 (2006-10-18 09:29:40)

Chou
+737|6801
I don't care, I am curious about what they come up with when I hear it has to be according the stuff on my PC.
Billboards all over the maps so bring it on!!

Last edited by Choumichel (2006-10-18 09:28:48)

Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6559|UK

Think the advertising is on billboard's or something?  Soooooo, I doubt many people will notice as there paying attention to the fight rather than the big poster's.  Unless they just flash up on screen any time u get a kill or death lmao.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard