=CA=lamcrmbem
+16|6623|San Diego, CA

Chaos81 wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

Ya, but in order for EA to see the sites you visit they scan your cookies. When you input information into your computer over the internet, it is stored in cookies. Which means, everything I do over the internet, everything I type into my borwser is recorded.
Where does it say they scan your cookies? They aren't looking at the sites you visited, it's based off of the ads IGA is getting payed to promote. Depending on where you are located and what time it is, IGA chooses ads to display in game. It's not based off of where you go, or what you look at.

Think about it for a second. If it was based off of where you go or what you look at online, how would IGA make any money? They are payed by companies to place said companies ads into specific things. One of which being BF2142.

If someone can prove me wrong I'd like to see it, but I have yet to see any true info that states otherwise.
QFT!!!!!!!!  +1
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6818|Ohio
Photoshop FTW!

The crosshairs dissapear behind the target ad. Thats not even a good photoshop.
Sgt.Gene
+215|6937

=CA=lamcrmbem wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

=CA=lamcrmbem wrote:

Again...not true, there is an interview out with the CEO responsible for the in-game adds and he clarifies what the in-game adds do to keep current.
Ya, but in order for EA to see the sites you visit they scan your cookies. When you input information into your computer over the internet, it is stored in cookies. Which means, everything I do over the internet, everything I type into my borwser is recorded.
ok...all it is is an IP locator so that adds for Europe don't end up showing up on North America machines and so on.  Read the article....the CEO said they don't need to know about each individual player, its about demographics, not personalization...
Like I said, I'm not reading the stupid textbook answer given by some CEO jerkoff, But I will read this: http://www.hostimage.org/img/82432.jpg
Now, I just briefly scimmed over it but what I got out of it was this: They install a software on your computer that tracks your IP, and internet activity. Last time I checked you cant view the sites someone it on by locating their IP. So, what this does is it scans over your stored cookies in your cache, takes that information and sends them to its database. The database is sorted by Most Frequently Viewed things. From here, they upload adware to your machine to bring you crappy ingame ads.

Thats just what I got out of it, no corporate dickhead is going to convince me that installing this spyware will be any good for my machine.
l41e
+677|6822

That's fugly, incredibly poorly aligned, and doesn't even follow the sense of perspective set on the wall.

PLUS the right part of the crosshair is completely blocked out by the Target ad.

Photoshopped.

Badly, I might add.
Ice Cold Killa
+26|6617|Perth, W.A, Australia.
so what do u wanna do if u wanna purchase something shoot at it? lol still this is an all time low for EA and DICE.
=CA=lamcrmbem
+16|6623|San Diego, CA
Its ok....enjoy your opinion....I'll enjoy the game! :-)
Chaos81
+5|6862

=CA=lamcrmbem wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
Sgt.Gene
+215|6937

Chaos81 wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

Where does it say they scan your cookies? They aren't looking at the sites you visited, it's based off of the ads IGA is getting payed to promote. Depending on where you are located and what time it is, IGA chooses ads to display in game. It's not based off of where you go, or what you look at.

Think about it for a second. If it was based off of where you go or what you look at online, how would IGA make any money? They are payed by companies to place said companies ads into specific things. One of which being BF2142.

If someone can prove me wrong I'd like to see it, but I have yet to see any true info that states otherwise.
Then what fucking software are they installing? Im almost sure you cant get websites viewed fom your fucking IP. It states in the letter that you install the software on your machine to see what you visit. Now the only thing I can think of that has access to that would be scanning your cookies.
Sgt.Gene
+215|6937

=CA=lamcrmbem wrote:

Well, I hope you have lots of fun.
=CA=lamcrmbem
+16|6623|San Diego, CA

Sgt.Gene wrote:

=CA=lamcrmbem wrote:

Thanks!  I can't wait!  Cookie Scanning here I come!
Sgt.Gene
+215|6937

=CA=lamcrmbem wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

=CA=lamcrmbem wrote:

Thanks!  I can't wait!  Cookie Scanning here I come!
LOL prepare for  credit card max out! lol

Last edited by Sgt.Gene (2006-10-17 16:55:15)

Chaos81
+5|6862

Sgt.Gene wrote:

Then what fucking software are they installing? Im almost sure you cant get websites viewed fom your fucking IP. It states in the letter that you install the software on your machine to see what you visit. Now the only thing I can think of that has access to that would be scanning your cookies.
I asked it before, and I'll ask it again, where does it say they are recording what websites you viewed? Where does it say they are recording your cookies?
dubbs
+105|6805|Lexington, KY

Chaos81 wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

It looks like I did that already.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pid=880784#p880784
Sgt.Gene
+215|6937

Chaos81 wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

I asked it before, and I'll ask it again, where does it say they are recording what websites you viewed? Where does it say they are recording your cookies?
https://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5144/3737563736573657376537356777777777777yp9.jpg
In order for it to view your history, it has to read your cookies.
vanmani
Unintentionally Verbose
+26|6765|Australia

Sgt.Gene wrote:

=CA=lamcrmbem wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

Not me playing, I refuse to buy the game since I learned EA forces you to install Cookie Scanners, in order to play the game.
Again...not true, there is an interview out with the CEO responsible for the in-game adds and he clarifies what the in-game adds do to keep current.
Why talk when you're clearly wrong?

a) the picture is not even a photoshop, it's done in MS paint I'll hazard. The creator wasn't even TRYING to make it look real.
b) Cookies are a terrible place to look to see what siets you visit, and it would be a very poorly designed web page that stored your input in cookies.

Cookies are just little pieces of data that the web page can specify to store on your computer, generally they can be used to identify some feature you want to the server. i.e. it might store what particular stylesheet you have chosen to use on a particular site.

When you fill in a form on a webpage it will generally just be sent to another script/page on the server, which will store that information or act on that information server-side. The only way this information would be stored on your local computer is if your browser has some browser specific "remember my form information" feature enabled.

People have THEORISED that 2142's spyware stuff may scan cookies to determine if you visit certain popular websites which do store cookies, although this could be thwarted by simply disabling cookies. Seems more likely to me that it would try and scan through your history lists for IE/Firefox/Safari/Opera or whatever. This could also be thwarted by turning off or clearing that list, if you really wanted to.

It does seem more likely to ME, as someone who actually knows something about what he's commenting on, that they would be looking at IP addresses to determine location. Location based targeting is probably as fine-grained as would be useful for an advertising service on BF2142. i.e. no point in giving an ad for Wal-mart in Australia, 'cos we don't have Wal-mart! Similarly, no point giving an ad for Woolworths in USA 'cos they don't have Woolworths!

I see very dubious value in knowing what sites you've visited to target ads. They already know you're a "game player" who "purchased and is playing BF2142 online". That's enough. Seems unlikely that they're going to send you ... comic book related ads just because you visited penny-arcade. Way too much maintenance involved in updating those kinds of lists, for virtually no gain. However, I won't say it's impossible.

In short, your browser only records what you tell it to. And there is browser specific implementations on how to do this. EA could use this to target ads, but there would be far too much maintenance involved in it for very limited benefit. Seems far more likely that they would just be pushing location based advertising, which can be done easily and cheaply based on your IP address, which is apparently what the guy in the interview said it did.

Edit: History has nothing to do with your cookies.

Last edited by vanmani (2006-10-17 17:12:21)

Chaos81
+5|6862

dubbs wrote:

It looks like I did that already.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pid=880784#p880784
The funny part is, you didn't.
BornToKill67
It's a good day to die
+18|6834|Canada Eh?

Miller wrote:

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

Has photoshop writen all over it.
The_Killer
Banned
+113|6699|dunno

vanmani wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

=CA=lamcrmbem wrote:

a) the picture is not even a photoshop, it's done in MS paint I'll hazard. The creator wasn't even TRYING to make it look real.
b) Cookies are a terrible place to look to see what siets you visit, and it would be a very poorly designed web page that stored your input in cookies.

Cookies are just little pieces of data that the web page can specify to store on your computer, generally they can be used to identify some feature you want to the server. i.e. it might store what particular stylesheet you have chosen to use on a particular site.

When you fill in a form on a webpage it will generally just be sent to another script/page on the server, which will store that information or act on that information server-side. The only way this information would be stored on your local computer is if your browser has some browser specific "remember my form information" feature enabled.

People have THEORISED that 2142's spyware stuff may scan cookies to determine if you visit certain popular websites which do store cookies, although this could be thwarted by simply disabling cookies. Seems more likely to me that it would try and scan through your history lists for IE/Firefox/Safari/Opera or whatever. This could also be thwarted by turning off or clearing that list, if you really wanted to.

It does seem more likely to ME, as someone who actually knows something about what he's commenting on, that they would be looking at IP addresses to determine location. Location based targeting is probably as fine-grained as would be useful for an advertising service on BF2142. i.e. no point in giving an ad for Wal-mart in Australia, 'cos we don't have Wal-mart! Similarly, no point giving an ad for Woolworths in USA 'cos they don't have Woolworths!

I see very dubious value in knowing what sites you've visited to target ads. They already know you're a "game player" who "purchased and is playing BF2142 online". That's enough. Seems unlikely that they're going to send you ... comic book related ads just because you visited penny-arcade. Way too much maintenance involved in updating those kinds of lists, for virtually no gain. However, I won't say it's impossible.

In short, your browser only records what you tell it to. And there is browser specific implementations on how to do this. EA could use this to target ads, but there would be far too much maintenance involved in it for very limited benefit. Seems far more likely that they would just be pushing location based advertising, which can be done easily and cheaply based on your IP address, which is apparently what the guy in the interview said it did.

nice post +1
Chaos81
+5|6862

vanmani wrote:

Well said. +1 for you.
Sgt.Gene
+215|6937

vanmani wrote:

Sgt.Gene wrote:

=CA=lamcrmbem wrote:

Ok, so will you please explain:
1. Why do they need a disclaimer, if they are just tracing my IP
2. What the fuck are they installing on my machine (besides the game)
3. If this has nothing to do with looking at anything on my own computer why not keep the ad's serverside?
l41e
+677|6822

Sgt.Gene wrote:

1. Why do they need a disclaimer, if they are just tracing my IP
I'm just going to say that everything has a disclaimer in this day and age.

ATTENTION: Hot coffee can be hot! Warning! Do not accidentally spill on crotch! This disclaimer is here so you can't sue us!
Private_Adam
Medic since 1942
+245|6825|United States
Look what i found

https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2733/bf2142billboardax5.jpg

Does this look photoshoped?
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6820|Peoria
Look guys, this is going to be in EVERY game within a few years. Get used to it.
Aenima_Eyes
+20|6825

Private_Adam wrote:

Look what i found

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2733 … ardax5.jpg

Does this look photoshoped?
Very.
Sgt.Gene
+215|6937

Elamdri wrote:

Look guys, this is going to be in EVERY game within a few years. Get used to it.
It's also going to be very freakin gay. When I'm playing games, its going annoying to see posters of how I can increase the size of my penis in 3 easy steps.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard