Lawk
+2|6780

Hyper_Dude wrote:

Lawk wrote:

Six months is not a long time.  Did you play BF1942?  I started playing it about a year after it was released and they continued to release patches and fixes throughout the entire duration, even up to and past the next releases in the series.  I am not so sure you understand what goes into these games on a development basis.  Anyhow, if you plan on playing this game for a while, expect many more patches to come out over the next few years.

It reminds me of when people complain about long time requirments for badges and medals.
Yay! Somebody who remembers EA/Dice from the good ol' days! I played BF1942 about a year and a half from release, and it was the support which won me over.

I've never seen any other developers give as much support and extra content as Dice have done for BF1942. I can think of 4 maps for core BF1942, 1 for an expansion, about 5 extra vechiles, an extra gun, an extra army with new voice actors, that alone is enough for a £10 expansion patch in EA's eyes!

When it comes round to patches people need to think, there will always be something better, but there will also always be something worse. Each thing will be different to different people and it's EA/Dice that need to decide who to satify more! For now, it'll be the people who play the game until something better comes along. A year down the line it's the more dedicated players, who will stay for 3 to 4 years that will get the stuff they want in the long run. Why? Because Dice will want to keep their hardcore players happy, and judging from past experiance, and what Lawk said, we will get that support.

You can argue that we haven't seen many patches as of recent, but they have been developing an expansion pack while giving us the support. Give them a break! Sit back, relax and the support will come.
Roger that.  Just some more fine tuning compliments to Dice and EA.  This patch looks great.  More to come.
Maj.Do
+85|6758|good old CA
no c4 fix??
Sprinks
+0|6806
this patch looks good.  Let's hope it comes out soon.
Flasheart88
+0|6766|Brisbane
Ok Muffy, just one point:

THIS IS A GAME, NUMNUTS! How can you sit there and criticize the changes based on what you know, or think you know, about how the weapons and vehicles work in real life? I don't know if you know this, but shock paddles don't work like that in RL either. And you don't rearm just by running over a ammo bag. And when soldiers die, they don't respawn.

Complaining that the attack choppers are not powerful enough is just ... it's insane. This game is mostly based on the rock-paper-scissors approach, where certain things are best suited for killing other things. Like the infantry/cavalry/artillery system in most RTSs. The choppers have to have weaknesses, otherwise the game would suck donkeys balls for everyone else. I mean, if RL, the bombers would never go within cooee of the battlefield - so for pilots in (RL)BF2 it would be:

1. Launch laser guided bomb.
2. Kill bad guys.
3. Fly home and shag the general's daughter.

Anyway...

To those people talking about ranks - yes! I totally agree. With 1.5 million (or so) people registered for BF2, you need higher ranks than 2nd Lt. Personally, I'd like to see officer ranks be determined by commander scores. I'm not sure how that might work - maybe combat + team scores can get you to the highest non-com rank, with command points beyond a certain level elevating you to a corresponding officer ranking. It might be complicated, but I think it might make a little more sense now that there are more BF2 players than there are soldiers in all but a handful of RL armies.

Finally, I totally sympathise with the bunnyhopping/dolphindiving masses. Sure, I hate them, and hope that each and every one of them are gangraped by horny baboons, but I DO understand their pain, because I've, on occasion, bunnyhopped round a corner or into a room, and it IS useful. I would have thought that instead of making it impossible, it would be better to just make jumping, and further, jumping then diving, a bigger drain on your sprint bar, and make jumping impossible if your sprint bar is empty. And maybe shooting less accurate if the bar is empty? That way it's still possible for the aforementioned jumping over walls and into windows to occur, but idiots can't dolphin dive their way across a battlefield, which apart from being a minor exploit of the sprint function, just looks plain SILLY!
RatedM.Muffy
+0|6716
*sigh*
there was no point in calling me names.
And for future referance, so you don't look ignorant, it is spelled numb nuts.  It is two words.  Numnuts, my friend, is purely improper.  I thank you for your criticisms, but please, can we remain civilized?

Your Smarter Friend,
Muffy
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6753|The United Center

Flasheart88 wrote:

Ok Muffy, just one point:

THIS IS A GAME, NUMNUTS! How can you sit there and criticize the changes based on what you know, or think you know, about how the weapons and vehicles work in real life? I don't know if you know this, but shock paddles don't work like that in RL either. And you don't rearm just by running over a ammo bag. And when soldiers die, they don't respawn.

Complaining that the attack choppers are not powerful enough is just ... it's insane. This game is mostly based on the rock-paper-scissors approach, where certain things are best suited for killing other things. Like the infantry/cavalry/artillery system in most RTSs. The choppers have to have weaknesses, otherwise the game would suck donkeys balls for everyone else. I mean, if RL, the bombers would never go within cooee of the battlefield - so for pilots in (RL)BF2 it would be:

1. Launch laser guided bomb.
2. Kill bad guys.
3. Fly home and shag the general's daughter.

Anyway...

To those people talking about ranks - yes! I totally agree. With 1.5 million (or so) people registered for BF2, you need higher ranks than 2nd Lt. Personally, I'd like to see officer ranks be determined by commander scores. I'm not sure how that might work - maybe combat + team scores can get you to the highest non-com rank, with command points beyond a certain level elevating you to a corresponding officer ranking. It might be complicated, but I think it might make a little more sense now that there are more BF2 players than there are soldiers in all but a handful of RL armies.

Finally, I totally sympathise with the bunnyhopping/dolphindiving masses. Sure, I hate them, and hope that each and every one of them are gangraped by horny baboons, but I DO understand their pain, because I've, on occasion, bunnyhopped round a corner or into a room, and it IS useful. I would have thought that instead of making it impossible, it would be better to just make jumping, and further, jumping then diving, a bigger drain on your sprint bar, and make jumping impossible if your sprint bar is empty. And maybe shooting less accurate if the bar is empty? That way it's still possible for the aforementioned jumping over walls and into windows to occur, but idiots can't dolphin dive their way across a battlefield, which apart from being a minor exploit of the sprint function, just looks plain SILLY!
actually i really like that idea of your accuracy getting worse and worse as you become more fatigued.  its somewhat true to life as well.  plus, then you wouldnt have the problem of jumping to shoot someone or chasing after someone and trying to shoot...the more you jump and the longer you run without resting, the more your accuracy gets shot to shit.  i like.
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6826
I think prone spamming is when you keep tapping the prone key, you'll stand/prone/stand/prone and if you move while doing it, it's quite an amusing animation and a little difficult to hit the target.

I've done it a few times and its quite effective. Not many people I've ever seen really do it though.
RKF77
+1|6757

ThomasMorgan wrote:

actually i really like that idea of your accuracy getting worse and worse as you become more fatigued.  its somewhat true to life as well.
That would kick MUCH ass.

I remember in Ghost Recon you'd limp slower if hit in the leg, your aim would get worse if hit the arm...that was pretty nifty.  Would be VERY cool if we'd see that in BF2/.
Flasheart88
+0|6766|Brisbane

RatedM.Muffy wrote:

*sigh*
there was no point in calling me names.
And for future referance, so you don't look ignorant, it is spelled numb nuts.  It is two words.  Numnuts, my friend, is purely improper.  I thank you for your criticisms, but please, can we remain civilized?

Your Smarter Friend,
Muffy
Riiiight. So your response to my criticism is to question my spelling and cry foul? Dude.

A) Internet forum = bad spelling. Oh, and if you're going to take that route, I suggest you learn how to spell 'reference'.

B) I'm pretty sure 'numb nuts' (see *I* can learn) is pretty inoffensive by most objective standards. If fact, I'd say it shows that I'm being fairly light-hearted about it all. If I were less civilised, I'd have called you an ignorant f***tard. But I didn't, did I? Because you're not and I wasn't trying to seriously offend. I was restrained, despite the fact that your post was pretty silly. So get off your high horse and if you're going to respond to my criticism, do so by defending your argument/attacking mine.

How's that for civilised?
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6826

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Enough flaming. Back on topic.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6771|Dallas
omg you guys are so fuckin lame.  Just shut the hell up and talk about the patch.
Anima05
+1|6766

Kriznik wrote:

if this is serious... so:

they gonna ruin BF2 (except last medic one > pretty good) BUT

why reduce hit point? so we will not be able to destroy tank with antitank / tank or whatever ... ok or we should shoot 10times to single tank to destroy it? ... it sux
I agree the armor hitpoints should be reduced, not jets and choppers
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

RKF77 wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

actually i really like that idea of your accuracy getting worse and worse as you become more fatigued.  its somewhat true to life as well.
That would kick MUCH ass.

I remember in Ghost Recon you'd limp slower if hit in the leg, your aim would get worse if hit the arm...that was pretty nifty.  Would be VERY cool if we'd see that in BF2/.
if you get hit in the head and dont die, you just cant see
Flasheart88
+0|6766|Brisbane

Anima05 wrote:

Kriznik wrote:

if this is serious... so:

they gonna ruin BF2 (except last medic one > pretty good) BUT

why reduce hit point? so we will not be able to destroy tank with antitank / tank or whatever ... ok or we should shoot 10times to single tank to destroy it? ... it sux
I agree the armor hitpoints should be reduced, not jets and choppers
Why should armour hitpoints be reduced? It would be nice if the vehicle models were a bit more sophisticated, then you could disable tanks by taking out their tracks, but in the mean time it's just not fair on the tank driver to make him killable by just the one or maybe two AT missiles. He's got lots of disadvantages - inability to hide, poor visability, now you want to make him easy to kill? C'mon mate, be reasonable. All it takes is a couple of AT guys to pop-up-attack the tank to kill him or force him into quick retreat as it is. Simply put: right now,  one tank vs one AT soldier on open ground should be 100 per cent in favour of the tank, and in broken terrain with cover and high vantage points, should be pretty even. I think that's pretty good odds for the AT soldier, considering he's not encased in tonnes of armour.

Think about it.

So, as far as the patch goes, I think changing the aircraft is the right way to go about bringing balance into the game.

Tanks = slow but tough.
Aircraft = fast but vulnerable.

Seems fair to me.
RKF77
+1|6757

Flasheart88 wrote:

So, as far as the patch goes, I think changing the aircraft is the right way to go about bringing balance into the game.

Tanks = slow but tough.
Aircraft = fast but vulnerable.

Seems fair to me.
+1

Simply making the AA more effective will greatly change gameplay...as it stands now, jets bomb spawns (at crawl speeds) with stationary AA guns because they simply aren't worried about them, and they shouldn't be.

Making jets more vulnerable and the AA more effective will only make the dumb pilots ineffective...the ones that bomb the same way as they do now.  If it works as advertised, jet pilots will have to actually think about what they're going to do instead of simply flying from one bomb-me box to another.  They'll have to use speed to their advantage, as well as terrain for cover.

I like it...and I enjoy flying, too.  It'll make better pilots.
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6740|Singapore
Hmm any chance the aa kit will be out?
Kkookie
Don't Flame
+20|6750|St. Paul, MN

tthf wrote:

is this for real or not?
please dont get my up hopes up for nothing. lol

sprint exploit what?
prone spamming what?
never heard those before.
is this for real or not?
please don't let my fears come true.
I'm not an advocate for bunny hopping or dolphin dodging, but that would really suck in many ways if they got rid of those things. For one like burly said, knife tactics would change for the worse plus jumping and shooting as long as it's not excessive is an important tactic; I mean say you know that there's a guy around a corner and you need to go around that corner to avoid being flanked by an APC, you would want to jump and gun around that corner but you couldn't. Diving and shooting is also another important tactic that would be taken away due to a few dolphin dodging schmackas.
secondly, what the hell is an SA80 or an M134?
thirdly, as far as I know the chinese and MEC APCs can shoot through walls.
and fourthly, w00t w00t to the aa lock-on and defib adjustments! well needed.
oh yeah, and they should fix that issue with switching from c4 to remote. and should give the commander a key binding for muting squads.
...shit that was a lot...
there's my '2-cents'...
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6726|California

Ayumiz wrote:

Hmm any chance the aa kit will be out?
id see that with the support class or AT class

a nice shoulder-fired heatseaker would do nicely
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

Kkookie wrote:

tthf wrote:

is this for real or not?
please dont get my up hopes up for nothing. lol

sprint exploit what?
prone spamming what?
never heard those before.
is this for real or not?
please don't let my fears come true.
I'm not an advocate for bunny hopping or dolphin dodging, but that would really suck in many ways if they got rid of those things. For one like burly said, knife tactics would change for the worse plus jumping and shooting as long as it's not excessive is an important tactic; I mean say you know that there's a guy around a corner and you need to go around that corner to avoid being flanked by an APC, you would want to jump and gun around that corner but you couldn't. Diving and shooting is also another important tactic that would be taken away due to a few dolphin dodging schmackas.
thirdly, as far as I know the chink and MEC APCs can shoot through walls.
and fourthly, w00t w00t to the aa lock-on and defib adjustments! well needed.
oh yeah, and they should fix that issue with switching from c4 to remote. and should give the commander a key binding for muting squads.
...shit that was a lot...
there's my '2-cents'...
lets try not to resort to using racial slurs on here, kay?
Flasheart88
+0|6766|Brisbane

Kkookie wrote:

You should read the entire thread - not just for the answer to this question.

But, I'm not one of those people who point to the clock on the wall rather than look at their own wrist, when asked the time, so the answer is the first is the L85, and the second is the Blackhawk minigun. As far as I know.

Kkookie wrote:

thirdly, as far as I know the chink and MEC APCs can shoot through walls.
That's not appropriate.
BigSwoll
+0|6720|Gahanna, Ohio
Has anyone even verified the authenticity of the author of the patch post?  I'll remain skeptical that this is even in development until i hear or see otherwise.
Far
+22|6737|USA

BigSwoll wrote:

Has anyone even verified the authenticity of the author of the patch post?  I'll remain skeptical that this is even in development until i hear or see otherwise.
He's a site Admin at ea.com, thats enough verification for me.
Marbles
+0|6716|Sacramento
Personally, I do bunny hop.  And before you all scream "omfg teh n00b" at me, let me say one thing.  It does take more skill to bunny hop than you would probably think.  Some people do exploit it incessantly, but I don't think that's grounds for making it impossible to jump and shoot at the same time.  There have been instances where I've jumped and shot at someone when I WASN'T bunny hopping.  At any rate, I agree with what Muffy said, it would be a better idea to make shooting while jumping less accurate. 

Also, I never had a problem fighting people who used "dolphin diving."  I don't do it, but I have dived to safety, and I think taking away jumping and diving is pretty silly.  However, I forget who said it, but I also think it would be a better idea to allow a single dive, and not tons of dives in succession.

Other than that, I think this upcoming patch is a little harsh.  I haven't had any problems.

Anyhow, flame me if you must.

<3Marbles
Sturmvogel
+1|6782

BigSwoll wrote:

Are you retarded or are you too stupid to click on the link?
BigSwoll
+0|6720|Gahanna, Ohio

Far wrote:

BigSwoll wrote:

He's a site Admin at ea.com, thats enough verification for me.
Works for me too. 

I'm sad to see that they'll be handicapping helicopters.  I'm no chopper whore, but I dont' think they need tweaking either way.  Or, to balance out the air assets, a buddy of mine suggested they add a new class of soldier, a stinger or red-eye soldier.  Armor has Anti-tank to keep them in line.  Sure there are AA turrets placed throughout maps, but lets be honest, unless this new patch really tweaks the turrets, they're stationary and can be taken out easily.

Personally, I like that idea.  Leave the choppers alone, add an anti-air trooper to balance them out.

Sturmvogel wrote:

BigSwoll wrote:

Are you retarded or are you too stupid to click on the link?
Grow up.  What are you, like 12?  Heaven forbid someone miss something or make a mistake.  Thank god you're here to keep everyone in line.

Last edited by BigSwoll (2005-12-13 22:56:41)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard