deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6463|Connecticut
Im gonna say everyone but France.......yeah everyone but France, even Iraq. Cuz they arent France.
Malloy must go
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6750|Great Brown North

ts-pulsar wrote:

I gotta say USA for one reason.

You can pretty much live any way you want, just pick a state that fits your beliefs and lifestyle.  No other country has anything like this.
lol you dont get out much do you? lots of places are like that. and you listed more then one reason btw :\
Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6680|Sweden
I'd much  rather live in France than Iraq...

It's funny how all americans say the USA
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK

Bubbalo wrote:

BN wrote:

For me, Australia is Utopia...for the refugees and aboriginals...thats another story.
A Utopian society means a perfect world in which everyone is happy, and everything is fair and equal.
Exactly that counts out every country in the world, the closest countries are probably Japan/oriental or Sweden/Norway/etc. For all you americans... you realy need to go visit some other countries if you think yours is even close to nice.
hilltop2bit
+9|6546|Doctor Evils Lair, Near You!

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

It's funny how all American's say the USA
The Americans are taught in schooling that there country is the centre of the modern world due to democracy and American ideals AKA californication.
Australia is the greatest ........... easy living...isolated in the south of nowhere and our beaches and standards of living are excellent. I have traveled and would not live anywhere else!
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6655|Espoo, Finland

hilltop2bit wrote:

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

It's funny how all American's say the USA
The Americans are taught in schooling that there country is the centre of the modern world due to democracy and American ideals AKA californication.
Australia is the greatest ........... easy living...isolated in the south of nowhere and our beaches and standards of living are excellent. I have traveled and would not live anywhere else!
Of course no-one wants to leave their homeland if they can live a good life there. Living in a country that you love, makes other countries seem worse even if the quality of life would be better there.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6489|Πάϊ

CameronPoe wrote:

Of the places I have seen with my own two eyes I'd have to say that Sweden is up there. Smallest gap between rich and poor that I've seen whilst still maintaining all of the freedoms of a non-communist society, affording them all of the most modern luxuries available and keeping enough of an incentive there to better yourself and to contribute to society as a whole. Wintertime there might be a bit of a drag however.
Exactly what I would say. I was there on a September and it was all sunny and warm. But I saw some pics of Stockholm during the winter that looked pretty mean... snowboarding must be great though!
ƒ³
THE RUSKIE
+19|6413|UK but from Russia(StP)
HAHAHHAHAHA Lol i cant belive someone said USA is a utopia, with the goverment going against its own people (9/11 False Flags) for just cause to go to wars for oil and defence benefits...Holland is up there and so is Sweden, whover said USA should be shot in the head (jk)...with additional the gun crime, and perveted killings in school, WHOEVER SAYS US< GET F**KING REAL,OPEN UR EYES!!!!
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
Estonia.
PHPR Hunter
+4|6508

mcminty wrote:

Not that I don't care what subjects you are doing, but I wanted a link to the Syllibi for some American Senior High School subjects. I just want to compare the Australian and American systems.

If I have to, karma to the person that provides a credible link.

Mcminty.
Here is a link to a U.S. High School Biology syllabus.   Just one I googled. 

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:bZQ … k&cd=8
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Anyone who thinks Holland is a utopia, is obviously basing this entirely on drugs, and has never been here. It isn't really that great.
Polux
H@x ?? No, just skill baby !
+73|6617|I smell corners
Rank      Country        GDP$ per capita

1            Luxembourg 69,800
2            Norway 42,364
3            United States 41,399
4            Ireland 40,610
5            Iceland 35,115

Country            HDI  High human development

1      Norway 0.963
2      Iceland 0.956
3      Australia 0.955
4      Luxembourg 0.949
5      Canada 0.949
6      Sweden 0.949
7      Switzerland 0.947

Got it from wiki...

I say Luxembourg and Norway win
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina
I use the HDI as my measurement of the quality of a society as well.  Granted, I can't speak Norwegian, so that's why I haven't moved to Norway.

Last edited by Turquoise (2006-10-15 12:22:56)

Polux
+73|6617|I smell corners

Turquoise wrote:

I use the HDI as my measurement of the quality of a society as well.  Granted, I can't speak Norwegian, so that's why I haven't moved to Norway.
Do you speak luxemburgish ?

Rofl I doubt....
Turquoise
O Canada

Polux wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Rofl I doubt....
lol...  True, but you know what I mean.  America is one of the highest ranked primary English-speaking countries in the HDI.  Canada is one of the only ones higher than us, and I may perhaps move there someday.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6460|Menlo Park, CA

ATG wrote:

The country I walk the land in.
The promised land.
The U.S. of A.
HERE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No where else on earth is EVEN CLOSE!
Turquoise
O Canada
FadedSteve...  I'd like to point out something interesting about your signature.

The terrorists we fight today are ultraconservative Islamists that hate what they see as "Western liberalism" invading their cultures through things like capitalism and the media.

They would agree with you that "Liberalism is a mental disorder."  In fact, I would assume you are a liberal compared to them.  You believe in equal rights for women and in the freedom of religion, correct?

I just thought I'd bring that up, since it's important for us to decide what we really stand for as the West.  I would assume our agenda is quite liberal compared to Islamic standards, so in effect, you really are a liberal in a global sense.  I would hope that you don't think of yourself as having a mental disorder.
Viller-Valle
Svensk Tiger
+15|6397|Sweden

rob777 wrote:

Personally i believe that Sweden's model of government and tax distribution i very close to being perfect, primarily funding health and education programs, and hardly spending a small portion on military and defense good standards for other countries to follow

agree/disagree share your comments
Agree=) But there is still more things to do here!
Polux
+73|6617|I smell corners

Turquoise wrote:

Polux wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Rofl I doubt....
lol...  True, but you know what I mean.  America is one of the highest ranked primary English-speaking countries in the HDI.  Canada is one of the only ones higher than us, and I may perhaps move there someday.
If you are looking for an English-speaking country you are correct, sure.

In case you change your mind I think Norwegian is easier to learn than Luxemburgish...lol
Turquoise
O Canada

Polux wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Polux wrote:

Rofl I doubt....
If you are looking for an English-speaking country you are correct, sure.

In case you change your mind I think Norwegian is easier to learn than Luxemburgish...lol
Heh...  I have to admit that I'm a bit lazy when it comes to learning languages.  I studied Latin and Spanish briefly, but I've yet to learn a language other than English that is primarily spoken in a highly prosperous country.  Besides, as much as there is to like in Norway, it's extremely expensive from what I hear.  Oslo is supposedly the most expensive city in the world.  I don't think I could afford life in Norway.  Canada would be much cheaper....
Lazzars
+4|6617
Monaco, San Marino, Liechtenstein, Andorra
liquix
+51|6424|Peoples Republic of Portland

c0mplex1ty wrote:

America!

/spreads buttcheeks
AHAHAHA Supreme response. Utopia? I'm not naive enough to think that could/does exist :0

Though, to answer you I'd probably say a non-industrialized island somewhere.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK

liquix wrote:

c0mplex1ty wrote:

America!

/spreads buttcheeks
AHAHAHA Supreme response. Utopia? I'm not naive enough to think that could/does exist :0

Though, to answer you I'd probably say a non-industrialized island somewhere.
How is your net speed so fast and yet you have a realy high ping? They are interrelated...? Just wondering.
Aenima_Eyes
+20|6621
RWANDA!

On a side note. . .if America kept her borders on lockdown like Norway and Iceland and made sure everyone was of the same color, I'm guessing its HDI would be a little higher.  We happen to be a melting pot tho and take people of all creeds, colors, etc. and so it isn't surprising that ours is lower.  Oh wait, sorry. . .I forgot.  You can't defend America on these forums because America is the evil Nazi regime who oppresses all its people and tries to take over the world.
Turquoise
O Canada

Aenima_Eyes wrote:

RWANDA!

On a side note. . .if America kept her borders on lockdown like Norway and Iceland and made sure everyone was of the same color, I'm guessing its HDI would be a little higher.  We happen to be a melting pot tho and take people of all creeds, colors, etc. and so it isn't surprising that ours is lower.  Oh wait, sorry. . .I forgot.  You can't defend America on these forums because America is the evil Nazi regime who oppresses all its people and tries to take over the world.
Actually, your response sounds a bit Nazi-esque when it comes to race.  Nevertheless, I think you're missing the forest for the trees here.  It's not about race, it's about class.  We have a lot of poor people entering our country from places like Mexico.  Because of this, yes, our standard of living is quite a bit lower than Norway's.  Also, it's important to note that GDP per capita is not the best measure of the quality of life.  Median income is far more accurate because it tells you how much the average person makes per year.  The HDI does include GDP per capita, but it balances things out with several other factors like literacy rates and such.

I would argue most of the reason why Norway is better economically than America is because it is a small society with people who mostly seem to agree on cultural values.  There doesn't seem to be much argument over what is socially acceptable and what isn't, due to their racial homogeneity, but I wouldn't say that justifies saying America should be racist in its immigration policy.  We should probably be classist out of practical concerns, but that's another discussion altogether....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard