=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6790|Belgium

@Mad Ad:

Seems like a lot of work that can be simplified with the following action:

in the same file; in the same line:

Code:

HUD_STARTOFROUND_NRPLAYERSNEEDEDThe game will start when #NROFPLAYERS# more player(s) join
Just change the text between the two squares with a 'space'. Don't just delete it, or you'll get an error, but change it into a blank space.

Code:

HUD_STARTOFROUND_NRPLAYERSNEEDED 
Just that simple. Worked for over a year now...

edit: Than again I don't want to move it I want it out of my way so I can take screen shots without the annoying text. If you prefer to move it, than your way surely works

Cheers,
R

Last edited by =Robin-Hood= (2006-09-11 09:53:33)

Ducksteina
Choleric groundpounder
+42|6515

=Robin-Hood= wrote:

@Mad Ad:

Seems like a lot of work that can be simplified with the following action:

in the same file; in the same line:

Code:

HUD_HUD_GAMESTART_moreplayersneededThe game will start when X more player(s) join
I don't know the exact text anymore because I did this a long time ago...

Just change the text between the two squares with a 'space'. Don't just delete it, or you'll get an error, but change it into a blank space.

Code:

HUD_HUD_GAMESTART_moreplayersneeded 
Just that simple. Worked for over a year now...

Cheers,
R
The point of the topic is not to delete the message but to move it. Read the starting post again
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6701|Peoria, Illinois
Good post.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK
nice!
thanks!
linster
+2|6583|LEICS UK
nice 1 id +1 if i could
Mad Ad
+178|6481|England, UK
Wow, im pleased all you guys really like it, I wasnt sure if it was old news or not- looks like it wasnt after all

As for the moving off the screen, +1 for the space suggession, why I didnt think of that I do not know (especially since Ive done exactly the same to get rid of one of the normal text messages)  - Also +1 for you too Ducksteina, I really had not thought about moving any of the other messages about but of course using this method will move pretty much anything in text if you really want to - I'm not sure about any complications with the RoE though, thats down to you guys to discover.
Thump-GoA-
Thump the ARTY finder!!
+31|6630
Nice...thank you.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6666|Germany

Ducksteina wrote:

Thanks for the cool topic! That gives sooo many possibilities to rearrange the HUD... +1. I'm getting so many ideas right now...
I'm now centering the kill- / revive- / whatever-messages just under my crosshair so I don't lose view of the combat action. Much cooler
Oh, and I got another idea!
I'll seperate Team, Squad, Commander and General chat. Will make it easier to see the important messages...
And what about putting kill-messages of your team and of the other team in different corners?

Edit: What do you think of it? (just the centered point-messages so far)
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6899 … 027sx5.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6899 … 027sx5.jpg
Nice,you got instructions for that?I'm too lazy to count all the spaces myself....

Mad Ad wrote:

I'm not sure about any complications with the RoE though, thats down to you guys to discover.
If there's no trouble editing your localization files by adding orange Bonus+1 stuff or changing "killed" to "pwned" - why should there be trouble when just moving the text(inserting spaces)?

Last edited by Mj.Blindfisch (2006-09-13 08:57:29)

SteikeTa
+153|6717|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega
Hmm, i would really like to move the: "cryingn00b" has started a mutiny/kick vote" to just under the mini map... and since I am a complete retard and dont have common sence about computers, how do i do that? Explain it like you would to a 6 year old... im getting old.
Mad Ad
+178|6481|England, UK
That may not be possible im afraid- we can move things over, and down, but not up the page and that line you have mentioned comes in very low by default- unless you mean that its ok at that height.

Me I just shortened it so it was less of a mess on screen- youd be better off reading up the post on localisation files I mentioned http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=19541 there, and when you have got your head around that, you can find the line by searching for HUD_HUD_KICKVOTE_COMMANDER_START_REMOTE and edit the text to something you like.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6666|Germany
How many spaces does it take until it changes the line?
I've centered all the point- and kill-messages(around 50-55 spaces) but it's too close to the crosshair for my liking.
I've tried to lower it by adding 6 full lines to it(with enter-key) but it didn't change a thing,they were still centered.

So,how many spaces until the line changes and how many spaces to have the kill/point-messages centered and way at the bottom of the screen?
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6666|Germany
Bump.

I know,bumping is not very nice,but I don't want this thread to disappear in the clutter of millions of "1.4 BH/DD/PS-whining"-threads,because this is actually very nice and informative.
The more people read this and experiment with it - the nicer results we get in the end.

How about a featured post?

Last edited by Mj.Blindfisch (2006-09-16 06:39:57)

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6548|Florida
pretty sweet
SteikeTa
+153|6717|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega
Yeah, this thread could be featured!
Mad Ad
+178|6481|England, UK

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

How many spaces does it take until it changes the line?
I've centered all the point- and kill-messages(around 50-55 spaces) but it's too close to the crosshair for my liking.
I've tried to lower it by adding 6 full lines to it(with enter-key) but it didn't change a thing,they were still centered.

So,how many spaces until the line changes and how many spaces to have the kill/point-messages centered and way at the bottom of the screen?
Sorry for the wait, been out of the loop a couple of days....ok there is no way to add spaces to make the line drop, all you can do with spaces is force it left or right or push it off the screen.  Returns drop it down 1 line for each return- probably best to do the returns first then the spaces

eg from the second box
rtn
rtn
rtn
rtn
rtn
rtn
55 spaces here YOUR SCREEN TEXT

I found that 19 rtns dropped the join message to the bottom but other messages that start lower on the screen would take much less- ive not played with other messages so its up to you guys to get creative with it.

(im from the minimalist school of localisation modding, the less text on my screen the happier I am)

As for a featured post, im game if the powers that be are too   Ill keep it updated every now and again anyway.

Thanks guys!
duckforceone
+3|6693|Denmark
great post.. +1 to you sir...
BoomBox
+3|6427|Israel
I know what apace is but I don't understand what return is?
I want to place the line in the bottom.
what do I need to do?
Can you please just write the code here so I can copy paste it?
Mad Ad
+178|6481|England, UK
Return = Enter

to make it like the first picture just do 19 enters and save.

Code:

HUD_STARTOFROUND_NRPLAYERSNEEDED 

The game will start when #NROFPLAYERS# more player(s) join

Last edited by Mad Ad (2006-09-30 11:09:20)

Mad Ad
+178|6481|England, UK
Quick update- Ive now tried to move other things like the votemap, votekick and mutiny lines lower down and it wouldnt work, every return I put in was seen as a space on those.

So this trick only works with some lines and not others unfortunately.
~Smokey~
Steve Irwin Reincarnate
+396|6507|Internetfitlerland

Ive done it, and it great for mucking around before rounds start, no annoying message stating the obvious.
GbeTech
+9|6467
Thanks! Great find
spawnofthemist
Banned
+1,128|6611|Burmecia, Land of the Rain
why haven't i noticed this thread before now.

this is the only time i'll actually thank someone for reviving an old thread.

and Ducksteina's idea makes it a little more like BF2142's  layout.

and i like that.
commandochristian
Honda - The Power of Dreams
+293|6382|Michigan, USA

He he, someone mentioned this thread in this one: Click Here.  Excellent thread, I like where the OP likes to put the text: under the HUD, where it's still easily visible, but won't annoy you and interfere with text and such.  +1!
GuliblGuy
Zulu son, what!?!
+79|6755|Anaheim, CA

Nice!
deadlikeme667
+5|6139|MI
ok i've changed the files but now i go to save it and it says i'm using the wrong path or file name and that the game cannot create the English.utx file or something. . . i'm runnning vista so if anyone can help that'd be great

Last edited by deadlikeme667 (2007-06-29 12:12:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard