Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
PunkX
stoned
+198|4972|Canada
Hey, i bet you guys have been seeing screenshots around different forums and seeing that some people have things like "You Owned (name)" instead of "You killed (name)". Well today we can learn how to do that This tutorial will show you how to personalize your HUD with changing the words displayed when you or someone kills someone else.

1: Locate your Localization Folder!

90% of the time your localization folder will be found at C:/Program Files/EAGAMES/Battlefield2/mods/bf2/localization/english

If you are up to the date with the latest patch you should see 5 icons in there. If this is your first time doing this they will most likely look as if they arent formatted. To open one of them, double click the one labelled "English" and it should bring up a window asking you what program you want to use to open it with. Select notepad from the list and you will notice that the file extention is now UTXT. Now everytime you go to open a UTXT file, it should open in notepad.

1.2: MOST IMPORTANT STEP OF THEM ALL

Immediately upon opening, you want to click save as and save this somewhere (your desktop for example) This is an incredibly crucial step when editing/coding anything. ALWAYS make a backup file incase you fuck up!

2. What to edit and what not to edit

Okay, when you open this folder you will most likely be scared and cower to the nearest computer, when your done that, come back and we will continue the tutorial. Anyways, when you see that document you should see  something like this:

https://www.s6media.com/losers/uploader/forms/files/editingtext1.png

Now, we need not worry, scroll down a couple times and it will start to look like real words Now, i've scrolled down a bit so that i may label what you can and can't touch. Have a look:

https://www.s6media.com/losers/uploader/forms/files/editingtext2.png

2.5: Knowing what to edit and what it will do

Okay, this is pretty easy to make out. Alls you need is the knowledge to know what is what. For example:
Say that on the left it says "KILLMESSAGE_WEAPON_m16a2". That should tell you alot of things, first, KILLMESSAGE means that it is the message shown when someone is killed. Which are displayed up in the top left corner of your ingame screen. next is WEAPON, which tells you that it is a weapon. And lastly the m16a2, which tells you that the weapon name is the m16a2. So, you have now located the part where it displays a message for people killed by an m16a2. If you look slightly to the left of the KILLMESSAGE part, you will see two boxes, then M16A2, then two more boxes. In between those two boxes is what is displayed, and this is where you edit!

So, lets change it to something. For example, if you delete the text in there, and put "Banana" your kill message will look something like this:
https://www.s6media.com/losers/uploader/forms/files/banana.png

Now, what could be more fun than killing someone with a banana? lol.
Anywho, you can go on down the list creating weird names for them all, it's good for a laugh But if you think tactical, you may want to do what I do, beside the weapon name put the kit name. you can get the name of the guns and the kit name from the Wiki section at bf2s.com [ http://wiki.bf2s.com/ ] This has helped me quite a bit actually. It's nice knowing what kit everyone has, also allows you to take a kit that may be good against the oposing kit. (This is especially helpful to people that aren't familiar with the weapons in the game yet)

So thats just the Killmessage part. Now on to bigger fish

3: Let the editing begin!
Okay, so you know how to change a killmessage but can you change other things? I'll teach you some tricks of the trade

First, you may have been playing and seen what people call 'The Orange Name Glitch'. Well we can get that on your HUD by doing the following:

Find what you want to modify, i've chosen to change my "You killed" message to show the player's name that i killed in orange. So what i will do is where it says §0# is will change that to §C1001# and where it says #§1  i will change it to #§C1001. So you should go from this §0#PLAYERNAME#§1 to this §C1001#PLAYERNAME#§C1001 i now get this message:
https://www.s6media.com/losers/uploader/forms/files/youowned.png

Cool huh? You can change alot of things to be that color, like, up where we did the weapon name change, so that it appears in orange like so:
https://img503.imageshack.us/img503/157/lawllawl3mf.png

Locate this line: HUD_HUD_KILLEDBY_KILLS        §0#PLAYERNAME1# [§0#WEAPON#§1] #PLAYERNAME2# and replace the "§0#PLAYERNAME1# [§0#WEAPON#§1] #PLAYERNAME2#" with  §0#PLAYERNAME1# [§C1001#WEAPON#§C1001] #PLAYERNAME2# and that shall be it!

Play around with this stuff guys, just always make a backup before you try to edit anything. I won't take any responsibility for you fucking up your game or having it not work. So MAKE A BACKUP!

Now, heres some of my edits, each of them, you can do using this tutorial!

https://img503.imageshack.us/img503/8849/foget5id.png

https://img503.imageshack.us/img503/7112/nglshagjklbnksalha1im.png

Thanks guys, hopefully you guys find this usefull!

Tearsofromance // PunkX

Edit: If anyone needs help with this feel free to PM me or post your problem here, i wil try my best to help you out!

Braught to you by Tearsofromance // PunkX of bf2s.com ( http://www.bf2s.com )

Last edited by PunkX (2006-05-29 09:43:55)

^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,134|5086|The Hague, Netherlands

you all know that the vodnik is Ali's Milktruck !

nice post btw

Last edited by -=>cSc<=-*RunDje*cT| (2006-03-30 07:41:00)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|4980|Derby, England

Nice Post bro U mind if I use that For my Forums ?
PunkX
stoned
+198|4972|Canada

badhq wrote:

Nice Post bro U mind if I use that For my Forums ?
Go right ahead! But please credit me and my clan, just add this at the bottom:

=LSR= Tearsofromance
http://www.losers-server.co.uk

Thanks!
xaven
Member
+25|5081|Berlin
I changed this line

Code:

HUD_HUD_KILLEDBY_TEAMKILLS    §0#PLAYERNAME1# [§1Teamkills§0] #PLAYERNAME2#

into

Code:

HUD_HUD_KILLEDBY_TEAMKILLS    §0#PLAYERNAME1# [§C1001§1Teamkills - #WEAPON#§0§C1001] #PLAYERNAME2#
this shows the following:

[gc.tv]xaven [Teamkills - PKM] victim1

the teamkills-weapon would be orange (orange code is §C1001 at the beginning AND at the end of string). this is IMO useful so you can comprehend how you made a teamkill...

Last edited by xaven (2006-03-30 07:58:09)

PunkX
stoned
+198|4972|Canada

xaven wrote:

I changed this line

Code:

HUD_HUD_KILLEDBY_TEAMKILLS    §0#PLAYERNAME1# [§1Teamkills§0] #PLAYERNAME2#

into

Code:

HUD_HUD_KILLEDBY_TEAMKILLS    §0#PLAYERNAME1# [§C1001§1Teamkills - #WEAPON#§0§C1001] #PLAYERNAME2#
this shows the following:

[gc.tv]xaven [Teamkills - PKM] victim1

the teamkills-weapon would be orange (orange code is §C1001 at the beginning AND at the end of string). this is IMO useful so you can comprehend how you made a teamkill...
Yeah, usefull aswell. I will most likely add that kind of stuff onto th tutorial. Along with making up some so you can see who you revived or who you healed/gave ammo to.
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|5169|Belgium

@xaven: Now that is a gifted idea: really!

The first post: great sum up, but I recall seeing something like this before... hmm.
Still decent post

@Loser your ideas above sounds great

Cheers,
R
PunkX
stoned
+198|4972|Canada

=Robin-Hood= wrote:

@xaven: Now that is a gifted idea: really!

The first post: great sum up, but I recall seeing something like this before... hmm.
Still decent post

Cheers,
R
Yeah, its been done, i know. Just thought i would post my tutorial, get some brownie pooints ya know?
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|5169|Belgium

LOSER|Tearsofromance wrote:

Yeah, its been done, i know. Just thought i would post my tutorial, get some brownie pooints ya know?
+1

R
Picouz/VoiD
The Insomniac
+39|5013
Nice post

Anybody willing to send me theres as I cant be fucked doing some of it lol:D

One bit of help


For example if i had

KILLMESSAGE_Weapon_m16a2 -       M16A2


Where would i change "You owned"

Last edited by Picouz/VoiD (2006-03-30 08:46:20)

cmotdibbler
Member
+19|5014|The pork thing inna bun stall.
Might want to have a look at this in the ROE first...

§1.3 You may not change (hack) any core games files, load into memory or employ external programs or cheats for the purposes of giving yourself an unfair advantage over other players.

This would include but not limited to:
§ MSX and other 3rd party software.
§ Modification of weapons code, aka Tank turrets exploit.
§ CVAR hacks which would make players appear Neon
§ CVAR hacks that let players see thru walls or buildings
§ Mini-Map hack so all players are visible
§ Modification of Player Names which would alter their size or colors.
§ Items not included in this list would be up to EA & DICE to interpret.
Note the sixth line down in bold.

Changing the weapon name seems ok though.

Last edited by cmotdibbler (2006-03-30 10:18:38)

ThundergodTyLor
You am dee best!
+34|5044|RCM Headquarters

cmotdibbler wrote:

Might want to have a look at this in the ROE first...

§1.3 You may not change (hack) any core games files, load into memory or employ external programs or cheats for the purposes of giving yourself an unfair advantage over other players.

This would include but not limited to:
§ MSX and other 3rd party software.
§ Modification of weapons code, aka Tank turrets exploit.
§ CVAR hacks which would make players appear Neon
§ CVAR hacks that let players see thru walls or buildings
§ Mini-Map hack so all players are visible
§ Modification of Player Names which would alter their size or colors.
§ Items not included in this list would be up to EA & DICE to interpret.
Note the sixth line down in bold.

Changing the weapon name seems ok though.
That has to do with the character names that come up on the score board.
Buzerk1
Member
+44|5184

cmotdibbler wrote:

Might want to have a look at this in the ROE first...

§1.3 You may not change (hack) any core games files, load into memory or employ external programs or cheats for the purposes of giving yourself an unfair advantage over other players.

This would include but not limited to:
§ MSX and other 3rd party software.
§ Modification of weapons code, aka Tank turrets exploit.
§ CVAR hacks which would make players appear Neon
§ CVAR hacks that let players see thru walls or buildings
§ Mini-Map hack so all players are visible
§ Modification of Player Names which would alter their size or colors.
§ Items not included in this list would be up to EA & DICE to interpret.
Note the sixth line down in bold.

Changing the weapon name seems ok though.
This change it localy only and will only be seen by the person changing it. The ROE is about people adding the color caracter control into their prefix/name to make their name appear bigger for everyone.

Those changes are safe and doesn't risk you being kick/ban/stats reset.

Nice tutorial!!

Last edited by Buzerk1 (2006-03-30 10:26:49)

xaven
Member
+25|5081|Berlin
we modify kill strings which are only displayed client-side, so there is noting against the RoE. If so, I wouldnt change anything... furthermore utxt files are no core game files, even punkbuster doesnt check them. so don't worry.

picouz: search for "you killed" in the file and set "you owned". and what about the m16? you can change M16 into US plastic gun for example. but do not touch the left parts!
cmotdibbler
Member
+19|5014|The pork thing inna bun stall.
Ah ok sorry. Got the wrong end of that one.
PunkX
stoned
+198|4972|Canada

cmotdibbler wrote:

Ah ok sorry. Got the wrong end of that one.
NP mate. I just want everyone also to know that i did read over the RoE to make sure that me making a tutorial would not affect any of the do nots etc.

Thanks though
StickyBombs
Member
+8|5105|Sacramento, CA (USA)
First off great post...

second...king of a newb question...but will this work for Multi-player games?

I see from the screen shots that you tested this in single player.  Does it only work when playing single player?

Thanks in advance.
PunkX
stoned
+198|4972|Canada

StickyBombs wrote:

First off great post...

second...king of a newb question...but will this work for Multi-player games?

I see from the screen shots that you tested this in single player.  Does it only work when playing single player?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, becuase they are glabal-local files it will change it in multiplayer aswell, they both use the same utxt file to display.

My ss's are in single player mode because i was in a hurry to finish!

And thank you!

Last edited by LOSER|Tearsofromance (2006-03-30 12:08:30)

Picouz/VoiD
The Insomniac
+39|5013
Right first of all i'm getting there =p Few problems as stated below     :-

First of all -  https://x11.putfile.com/3/8814220116.png

Thats what I get when I kill someone/ get killed, can't figure out what it is, maybe I doubled lines ?


Another problem -  I get this when I join the game  https://x11.putfile.com/3/8814224738.png



Instead of commander screen, and I also get something to that affect instead of Create Squad.


Any ideas?
StickyBombs
Member
+8|5105|Sacramento, CA (USA)

LOSER|Tearsofromance wrote:

StickyBombs wrote:

First off great post...

second...king of a newb question...but will this work for Multi-player games?

I see from the screen shots that you tested this in single player.  Does it only work when playing single player?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, becuase they are glabal-local files it will change it in multiplayer aswell, they both use the same utxt file to display.

My ss's are in single player mode because i was in a hurry to finish!

And thank you!
Sweet...I will have to try it when I get home from work...thanks for the info.  I really appreciate it.
xaven
Member
+25|5081|Berlin
picouz: I guess you got a problem with spaces. retry carefully with your backup utxt... (hope u made one)

Last edited by xaven (2006-03-30 13:10:42)

Picouz/VoiD
The Insomniac
+39|5013
Yup I made one I'll look through it allllll tomorrrow lame
Chowley
Member
+1|5034|Ireland
Nice guide. Is it possible to do another colour besides orange ?
PunkX
stoned
+198|4972|Canada

Picouz/VoiD wrote:

Right first of all i'm getting there =p Few problems as stated below :D    :-

First of all -  http://x11.putfile.com/3/8814220116.png

Thats what I get when I kill someone/ get killed, can't figure out what it is, maybe I doubled lines ?


Another problem -  I get this when I join the game  http://x11.putfile.com/3/8814224738.png



Instead of commander screen, and I also get something to that affect instead of Create Squad.


Any ideas?
You have removed a couple of the squares, this is a simple fix, just find the line where it goes "you killed/owned" then take the ending squares from the one above it, and pste it at the end of the line "you owned PLAYERNAME"

Same goes for the other things.

Chowley wrote:

Nice guide. Is it possible to do another colour besides orange ? :P
As far as i know. Orange, green, blue, and yellow are available.
xstax981
Community Modder
+93|5024
I nominate this for a sticky, it's useful. I did that at one point, but I had to formate my game later .

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2019 Jeff Minard