usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6766

I will start out by saying that I am not a real good attack helo pilot, so I try to be the gunner when I can.  I have been yelled at, and have seen people get yelled at, about the TV guided missles.  Most people know how to use them, but the nose of helo has to be just right for it to be effective.  I hate when people say that the gunner is a noob or is blind.  In some cases that may be true, but for ther most part I beleive it is the pilots fault.  My question is.......  Do you guys beleive the gunner, (in most cases), is only really effective as long as you have a good pilot?
cablecopulate
+449|6742|Massachusetts.
Yes, but a good pilot is nullified by a horrible gunner. Today I had a really good gunner and we dominated. Then after I had a bad gunner and he wouldn't let my other guy gun for me, and we did horrible. He would fire his tv missiles randomly when I was moving from target to target so when there was an actual shot, he would be reloading. I was so frustrated.
blackwidow
+2|6746
tell your pilot to look in his HUD.  there is a box that he can line up the tv missiles with.  a small cross will appear in this box when he is lined up for you.........and tada easy kills!!!
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6766

Damn, thanks man, never knew that.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6839|Kubra, Damn it!

A good pilot is a dream come true. I can't fly for crap and play as a gunner when I'm in helis. Most of the pilots won't line you up for decent shots, don't look behind them when cap'ing a flag, won't pick you up again if you jump out to help the flag go faster... It's pretty frustrating. Occasionally, you get in with someone who really knows how to fly well, but they still don't know the little extras (like the things I mentioned above) that make a huuuuge difference. I've only found one guy that I really enjoy gunning for. The rest of the time, I'll jump in for a few minutes, then get irritated and jump out again.

Hey cable, next time you get a dork like that in your gunner's seat, fly to the edge of the map just far enough so that he's out of bounds and gets killed. That should send a nice clear message to the fool.
JeSTeR_Player1
Flying Solo
+98|6774|Canada, Ont
The Little Box Is Around the Area of The TV Missle View, But Its Not Exactly...

The TV Missle Always Looks Stright out -------->

So Unless your Hovering Like Flat Out, That Box Isn't Going to be Accurate, If you Got your Nose Pointed Down, Then its Above the Box a Little bit. If your Pointing the Nose Up, Then Its Below The Box A Little Bit.

Trust me...I Pilot A Pretty Sick Gunner.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6766

I need to fly with you jester.
Boomerjinks
+301|6799|Denver, CO
The only thing I ask my gunners to do is to constantly sweep left to right when we are flying, keeping an eye out for all targets.

Whenever I am gunner, I usually hop out to cap flags, that way it's faster, but when I want back into the chopper, the pilot usually just strands me.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6766

LOL.  Hop out = hitch hiking
Dr0pped
+8|6758|Ontario, Canada
When I am gunner (which I prefer..), the pilot makes a huge difference. I have flown with some absolutely stellar pilots who make gunning a snap, always pick up after I jump out to cap a flag, and so on. Just a treat to fly with. On the other hand, there are guys who can technically fly the bird, but have NO CLUE about using it tactically as a weapon. Nothing worse than a guy flying at full speed, jinking all over the place even when there are no apparent threats. Hard to get any shots off when your field of view is so unstable.

It would be worth having all chopper pilots do some serious time as a gunner so that maybe they will understand what the gunner needs to be more effective. I know it helped me so that when I drive, I do my utmost to give the gunner a stable platform from which to shoot.

Last edited by Dr0pped (2005-12-12 10:00:23)

topal63
. . .
+533|6722
You can pratice in single player mode - both flying and gunning [useing the tv missle]. It does not matter what you hit with the tv.missle in single player: a bot; bot in tank; a tree! If you see something and can re-site guide
the missle with mouse clicks - you my friends will be a devastating chopper gunner - unless the pilot SUCKS
and just crashes into sh%t.
dr4gonman
+0|6812

blackwidow wrote:

tell your pilot to look in his HUD.  there is a box that he can line up the tv missiles with.  a small cross will appear in this box when he is lined up for you.........and tada easy kills!!!
I'm curious to know if this box you refer to is the one at the bottom of the hud that represents the direction the nose gun is pointed?  Does that move with the TV camera aiming cursor as well?  I've not paid close enough attention when lining the bird up for a TV missile shot.  I do know that if the prospective victim is outside the HUD boundaries (that being the area boxed by Heading, VSI/Altitude, Gunner View Direction Indicator and Rotor Torque Indicator/Airspeed) the gunner (in TV cam mode) will not be able to see the target the pilot sees.  Are you saying that a box appears around the target similar to the ground target mode in the fixed wing?

I'm a pretty fair helo pilot and I always try to give my gunner a decent shot on target.  Gunners that have their priorities (1. AA, mobile or fixed and/or enemy attack helos, 2. all other targets by damage/threat relation) screwed on right are nice to have as well.  If a well trained helo pilot/gunner team is up in either attack helo and the enemy fixed wing (my preferred gunner and I have shot more than 1 down, but we figured they really sucked) stays occupied with other targets the balance is surely shifted to that team.

Any pilot that doesn't pick up his gunner after a flag cap needs to have his fingers and toes removed and not be allowed back in a helo.
cablecopulate
+449|6742|Massachusetts.
Gunners shouldn't be capping flags anyway. Leaves the chopper too vulnerable. That's what infantry is for.
dr4gonman
+0|6812
And if there are no groundpounders around?

Hopefully you pretty well cleared the area before taking a helo in for a flag cap anyway.
vjs
+19|6775
I just wish the heli pilots would play more of a supporting role. I hate being pawned by tanks when the a heli pilot is simply out capping flags or attacking on their own.

The best round I ever played while gunner, the pilot kept us advancing with tanks. Circle around take out the ground guys lined up for incoming tanks at a distance... while our ground crew was taking flags. Basically nobody shot at us, tank or foot soldier.

Ask yourself this question, when your on the ground with a tank or as foot solider. Do you shoot at the heli or other guys on the ground 20 feet infront of you.

----------------

Edit...

Yup see above post, the heli's should stay with the ground troops in a support role...

Last edited by vjs (2005-12-12 13:18:24)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6760|Scotland

dont even talk to me about bad gunners. jesus christ man all these guys race for the chopper i get in as pilot and then this first sergeant gets in or gunnery sergeant or someone else. and i always rely on my gunner to rack up poinys (although i like to kill as well) but omg the whole point of being in a chopper gets ruined when a bad gunner is in the seat. i had this guy. a first sergeant i think, who just looked around and shot off a few rounds in every direction, even when i got incredibly low to make him hit the enemies on the ground. he couldnt he just couldnt. he sucked so much i teamkilled him. (im sorry i know thts bad but he deserved this)  i mean cum on, i was usmc in wake and there was only one point on the map we had not captured. the airfield. it was 64 player so there were tons of people and ever enemy was spawning there. if any other experienced gunner had been in my heli he would have been killing 10 guys per 2 minutes i swear. but no he couldnt even get 5 in the whole round.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6724|California

i was on the {DeV} server last night playing Levathian, and my gunner sucked something awful, he ended up TKing us and 2 others with the splash of a TV missile
divided
Clear!
+3|6777
The only gunners that I hate are the ones that don't know that TV 'guided' missiles can be guided, and the gunners that don't know that they have missiles to shoot.
Jester.retseJ
+4|6735|Toronto, On
A good pilot is always important. If you can't stay alive in the air long enough, being a good gunner or not doesn't really matter does it?

The most important thing is teamwork/communication. Some pilots fly too low for TV missiles to be used correctly, or too fast and not allow you the time to find the target... in these cases talk to them and ask them to adjust. Pilots can also help gunners out by pointing out targets... use VOIP, that's what it's there for.

eg. "Guy behind crate on left."

And the one thing i always ask my gunners/co-pilots to do... SPOT enemy helicopters/planes as often as possible! Helps keep track of them when your pilot loses sight and helps keep both of you alive.
dalfiuss
+1|6835
I pilot for railz30 and believe we are one of the better chopper pairs out there (he averages over 100 kills an hour in the chopper, with a 5.5 K/D).

I think in most situations, the pilot has the harder job, as gunning down infantry, transports, and armor is extremely easy for a gunner if set up appropriatly.  Pretty much anyone can take out that stuff if they have a direct shot with a hellfire, or the cannon.  Railz is an excellent gunner because beyond that he is able to drop moving helicopters (and the occasional jet) at 400-600 meters quite often.  We are on Ventrilo whenever we play, and it is worthless flying with anyone without the ability to voice chat with them.

I think it is still possible to get by if the pilot is good but the gunner is garbage, whereas if the pilot is garbage the chopper is worthless.

On a side note, both the Mi-28 Havok and Z-10 have 30mm cannons (compared to the Cobra's 20mm), so why doesnt the Z-10 have any splash damage like the Havok?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6779|Noizyland

When I have a good pilot, I rule with the TV missiles. Laser guided missiles too, but mostly I get a jet pilot who is more interested in dogfighting, or flying erraticly through smokestacks.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
oberst_enzian
+234|6747|melb.au
funny that - i used to suck at the tv, until one day that I just couldn't miss with it. have been reasonably good ever since, dunno what changed (except for one incident a couple of days ago, wherein I was making all these funky shots, sideways, high speed and shit, but then... I couldn't hit a stationary apc, that hadn't noticed me, and we were hovering next to..... omg... wtf.... I had to bail and let the pilot get another gunner just out of pure embarrasment!)
Mosh
+2|6747
i cant fly to save my life, but i think im a damn good gunner
mycatsdied
+1|6796
Without a good pilot the chopper is absolutley worthless. If he cant fly the rest is pointless. Thats it. A great gunner cant hit anything if your pilot flies into trees, buildings , other helos ...... whatever.

I cant really fly so I spend almost all my time in helo as a gunner and keeing that chopper in the air is the most important thing. Even if you get one of those hotshot pilots that thinks flying a foot off the deck is the best way to show hes the best pilot ever if he doesnt crash its better than nothing. He might be thinking about only himself but a good gunner can make the shots even if they are not given to him.

If you get that pilot that truly understands the role of the attack chopper and you have a good gunner the results can be truly devastating.
^DD^GRiPS
American Hillbilly
+12|6803|Long Beach, CA
A great gunner always faces or scans the same way the pilot is pointing.  As a pilot I will always face towards the worst threat of taking us down.  My vid card is so good most the time I can see targets like infantry and line them up to have a clueless gunner looking far left while im facing the target.  Communication is the most important part.  I hate when I got a gunner who isnt even in my squad.
Ptfo

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard