Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6875
Were the World Trade Center's  Twin Towers legitimate military targets?

Is there such a thing as a target that's off limits in this day and age?

Menachem Bagan said a  "  Terrorist is a patriot without an Air Force. "

Whether he was talking about the PLO or his own days as a Terrorist I have know Idea.

I was close to ground Zero in a Subway when both planes hit. I watched the Second tower fall From a nearby roof top. I worked at the site in the for the first few days.
I knew a few people who died there.

My feeling was The got us, I always expected it and it was a legit target.
I don't think anything is out of bounds in a War.
I just dont understand  the Glee that some people have about the event.

What are your thoughts
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6858

hehe.

the people who say certain things are off limits in war are like the people who complain about 'cheapness' in a videogame. we certainly see a lot of that in bf2.

it's war, the enemy isn't going to ask you 'is it ok if i attack this target?' they don't give two shits whether you think it's a legitimate one. they'll hit you where it does the most damage.
Bert10099
[]D [] []\/[] []D
+177|6778|United States
Anything is legit if it causes great damage to your enemy.

Did you know that on 9/11 four planes were to hit four different targets on the West Coast of the United States?  However they were unable to do anything, either they were caught, or were too late after the first attacks, airports were shut down.
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6823|Perth, Western Australia
Well, in answer to the question, they were not legitimate MILITARY targets, but as far as a target that could be struck to hurt the US, they were right up there
TrevorP
+0|6831
wel in the us's case the Pentagon is the worst place to hti unless you got a big bomb to put in the center of it (Its like a giant target preety much)... The trade centers werent a military building but they sure did a lot of damage to the society...mainyl with fear...although its not really needed for terrorists to instill fear that way the government will do it it anyway whenever there is an election or they are under fire for something.
pacman VKC
+0|6754
Nice topic, as I see it, it wasnt a "military" target, if its was they would of hit a power station or a major refinery, they are radicals, so yeps anything is a target, personally thought they would of hit something bigger, more populated, just shows how underpopulated and undereducated they where/are. Thank god! But just showed how unaware (public) was at the time, was'nt hard to do 9/11 if you think about it. Didnt take millions, if I got it right, it was quite the opposite in fact. Dunno about Menachem Bagan (another name to read about)

About the "glee" yes would be expected cos it never happened on that scale, as you say if you where there n stuff, then shit m8 hmm, must of been quite something to say the least   But its like a road where an accident happens, never before but  afterwards it never happens again (sorry for bad comparison)

Off topic, good to see topics being talked and not the usual USA is best or CANADA is great (bar 1 lol) see too many us authored threads on other serious forums go west cos of we are best n the like. I like MOST americans, they got there problems like everyone else, just gets a bit annoying I LOVE MY COUNTRY n shit, but hey it seems a rarity nowadays, to say it? I seen a thread on bf2 tracker and something similar to this topic was on there, and it said basically if u aint american DONT comment lol

greets

pacman
NamelessMarine
+0|6773
I would have done the same thing.
freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6790
If you can hit it... its a target.
[blaq] plague
+0|6749
You really can’t consider the WTC towers valid military targets, but then again, the attack wasn’t a military strike, it was a fundamentalist terrorist attack.  A valid military target is one that is set forth and approved, so to speak, by LOAC (Law of Armed Conflict) established by the Geneva Convention (the same thing the prohibits the targeting of medical and religious personnel).  These rules are established because nations don’t fight wars…their armies do.  For something to be a valid military target, it would have to have a direct effect on the welfare and abilities of the military targeted.  A purely civilian target is not valid.  But I don’t think we can really consider it really an issue since it wasn’t attacked by a sovereign military, but by terrorists.  The goals and techniques of a terrorist are vastly different than that of an organized military.  A true military fights wars against armies.  A terrorist fights wars against ideas, and attacks symbols of the ideas he’s against (the idea of a terrorist is by definition merely subjective…one man’s terrorist=another man’s soldier and vice-versa). 

Now, of course it’s arguable that the very notion of applying law to war is merely disguising brutality in politics and civility…but I think it’s necessary to clearly differentiate between armies and their nation’s civilians…and fortunately, great strides have been taken since WWII or Vietnam, and I think that’s it’s because of those attempts that we’re not seeing a fraction of the civilian casualties in a war or any other kind of hostile engagement.

That’s my two cents anyway.
here is reality. DEAL WITH IT. which means yes they were legit targets. poorly chosen targets i admit, but targets none the less. if you want you can target a nun for all i care. i woulda hit the white house first before one knew that the planes were hijacked and the pres got moved. lol and i woulda shot everyone on the plane hell no one would mess up my suicide run.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6875

ubersoldat...dos sniper wrote:

here is reality. DEAL WITH IT. which means yes they were legit targets. poorly chosen targets i admit, but targets none the less. if you want you can target a nun for all i care. i woulda hit the white house first before one knew that the planes were hijacked and the pres got moved. lol and i woulda shot everyone on the plane hell no one would mess up my suicide run.
MY GUESS IS YOU WOULD HAVE DONE NOTHING
actually i would after i found out who did it i would send in one guy a undercover iraqy and have him get close enough to the person responsible and assinate him. tho it would be a suicide mission.
CC-Marley
+407|6866
Idiots!
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6858
the geneva convention is a bunch of bollocks. countries only bring it up when it's convenient for them.

how about the firebombing of dresden? carpet bombing of tokyo? napalm strikes in vietnam? v2 rockets on london?

you can always say that attacking a purely civilian target has a direct effect on the troops' morale. don't kid yourself with 'nations don't fight wars, their armies do.' that hasn't been true for centuries.
shingara
+0|6811|the motherland uk
to them it may have been, u killed so many of our ppl we kill so many of yours, but to even try to think like ppl that would do this is an impossible thing unless well u are one of them, the ira bombed innocent ppl for years, dont know how many died in the end, but that gives u a hint.

but whos to say it was the ppl in the twin towers they were attacking, i mean think about it, there were alot of companies in that building and goverment orgis dont usually stamp we are top secret goverment ppl on the door. maybe it was a companie or companies in the buildings they were attacking.

one thing that always made me wonder about the attacks that happened on that day though, what happened with the pentagon, big hole but no plane wreck or anything u would think would go with it. i did see a video that was floating about afterwords that showed cctv of it but it was a missile that u saw hitting it, not a plane and even the hole in the wall was that made by one of those bunker buster things that dont explode on impact but burry down then go boom.
            was this fake or what, anyone know

Last edited by shingara (2005-12-13 05:08:33)

fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6793|The Netherlands
Wasn't there important information about bin laden hidden in that tower? however if there was important info they probably have some backups.

I think this was just to intimidate us
p0wn
+1|6802

Wasn't the president in Florida at the time?
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6875

Krappyappy wrote:

the geneva convention is a bunch of bollocks. countries only bring it up when it's convenient for them.

how about the firebombing of dresden? carpet bombing of tokyo? napalm strikes in vietnam? v2 rockets on london?

you can always say that attacking a purely civilian target has a direct effect on the troops' morale. don't kid yourself with 'nations don't fight wars, their armies do.' that hasn't been true for centuries.
How about Israel laying down Cluster bomb strikes in the most densely populated spot on Earth
" The Gaza Strip " The USA sold them CBUs with the understanding they would only be used if they were being over run.

It was on the BBC late one night with footage, The film crew was agast. Then ...

nothing the story just disappeared.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6875

actually i would after i found out who did it i would send in one guy a undercover iraqy and have him get close enough to the person responsible and assinate him. tho it would be a suicide mission.
Hey, Maybe you could do it ?
[blaq] plague
+0|6749

shingara wrote:

one thing that always made me wonder about the attacks that happened on that day though, what happened with the pentagon, big hole but no plane wreck or anything u would think would go with it. i did see a video that was floating about afterwords that showed cctv of it but it was a missile that u saw hitting it, not a plane and even the hole in the wall was that made by one of those bunker buster things that dont explode on impact but burry down then go boom.
            was this fake or what, anyone know
there's a Col I work with that said everyone in the section he was working in was running around yelling 'it's a bomb!'...I think that's pretty interesting as well...
[blaq] plague
+0|6749

Krappyappy wrote:

True...but at the same time, the question was whether or not it was a legitimate military target...not an whether or not it was an effective target.  It was an effective target, but that doesn't make it legitimate.  For example, the targeting of civilian villiages in vietnam, killing innocent women and children...Just because it was done, doesn't make it right...It could be considered effective, but not legit.  Legitimate means being lawful.  And for better or for worse, the law is set forth by the Geneva convention, whether you agree with it or not.  I'm not going to argue whether or not it needs some updating, or more strict enforcement...
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6809|Atlanta, GA USA

Krappyappy wrote:

The Geneva Conventions didn't come into being until 1949, so the only thing you mention above that would be affected by them would be the napalm strikes in Vietnam.  I won't go into whether the napalm strikes were contrary to the Geneva conventions or not as I don't know.

Horseman 77 wrote:

Hey, Maybe you could do it ?
hell yeah i'd do it. if i had the proper training and i had time to do it. it would be fun.  then i'd kill some other ppl i recon cause i doubt i'd make it outa the country alive.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6858

atlvolunteer wrote:

The Geneva Conventions didn't come into being until 1949, so the only thing you mention above that would be affected by them would be the napalm strikes in Vietnam.  I won't go into whether the napalm strikes were contrary to the Geneva conventions or not as I don't know.
actually, the geneva conventions are a series of agreements that started in 1864. the part that deals with the treatment of civilians was taken from the hague convention X in 1907. so, all of those events do apply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_convention
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6809|Atlanta, GA USA
I got my information from the Geneva Conventions website:
http://www.genevaconventions.org/
EDIT: I missed this:
"The first Geneva Convention was signed in 1864 to protect the sick and wounded in war time. "

HOwever, it from what I can tell from the Geneva Convention website, it doesn't look like the fourth Convention (Deals with the protection of the civilian population in times of war) was added until 1949.

"In 1949, four Geneva Conventions extended protections to those shipwrecked at sea and to civilians."

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2005-12-13 14:34:48)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard