0akleaves
+183|6623|Newcastle UK
i set mine to 40 as my average ping is 40 works better than 400 for me
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6775|Cambridge (UK)
hmm... having thought about this a bit, I think lower values make more sense than higher numbers - I would have thought that a value lower the your average ping would make most sense...

But it depends on exactly what the value means...

If we assume that you ping represents how often player position information is updated, so, if we have a ping of say 40, looking at a time line, we have something like:

0.........10........20........30........40........50........60........70........80........90........100

So, each green number is an update, then, common sense would imply, that we need to make the interpolation time lower that 40, so, for example with a value of say 23, we would get interpolation points as shown below (the yellow 'I's):

0.........10........20.I......30........40....I...50........60.......I70........80........90I.......100

But then, that doesn't entirely make sense with the fact that higher values seem to help.

So maybe it's a number of interpolations per 'time frame'...

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2006-10-06 11:36:19)

Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6640|Washington, DC

I seemed to get better results at 10 than at 400.
bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6699|London, UK
i just done this before i started and bf2 and i think i beat my best kill steak and at the moment its 39 tomoz mornin lets see what it is when my stats updated...
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6663

ExecutionerStyle wrote:

I'm still not sure what works best, at 400 I seem to get great reg but it comes and goes.. eg. the vast majority of the time it will be great but instead of the old 1-in-5 shots not hitting I'll have 15 shots not hit and then everything works fine again

God damn you DICE
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Zodiaccup
+42|6556

SargeV1.4 wrote:

ExecutionerStyle wrote:

I'm still not sure what works best, at 400 I seem to get great reg but it comes and goes.. eg. the vast majority of the time it will be great but instead of the old 1-in-5 shots not hitting I'll have 15 shots not hit and then everything works fine again

God damn you DICE
I joined a server yesterday to try 400. I suck as sniper but yesterday i had a 15-0 in about 5-7 minutes.
So i can say it improved my hitreg. Will try lower ones tommorw...
jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6536|Singapore

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

jkohlc wrote:

SargeV1.4 wrote:

[color=lime][b]Now verified: How to fix your hitreg!

The permanent way to do it:

1: Go to C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\settings
2: Open usersettings.con in notepad
3: Change the value of the line "SettingsManager.U32Set GSInterpolationTime" to 400.
what does the "400" stands for?
At a guess I would think it's a millisecond count - the 'time' between each interpolation sample...
between the what sample?
Hurricane
Banned

Interpolation is where your computer calculates the hitboxes. If it takes longer it will be worse hitreg.

So in theory, wouldn't a lower number=better hitreg?
Viller-Valle
Svensk Tiger
+15|6437|Sweden

ExecutionerStyle wrote:

Interpolation is where your computer calculates the hitboxes. If it takes longer it will be worse hitreg.

Yeah, I had 100 from the start and raised it to 400, it seemed to work fine but momentarily it seems to just don't work. Should it be the same as the average ping?
bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6699|London, UK
If i got 28-0 in 1 round, then 11-0 on another, then 31-0 on next map should my kill steak be more?
Hurricane
Banned

bullit wrote:

If i got 28-0 in 1 round, then 11-0 on another, then 31-0 on next map should my kill steak be more?
31 would be your kill streak. Kill streaks only count for the round, they don't extend into the next one.

EDIT: I pumped it up to like 800 and the M95 was god-like. Put the crosshair on the guy, click, hit.

Last edited by ExecutionerStyle (2006-10-07 11:34:59)

Ducksteina
Choleric groundpounder
+42|6555
Am I the only one thinking that this is just placebo? I tried it with many values but it didn't change ANYTHING. But yeah, if you think it helps you, then use it...
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6775|Cambridge (UK)

ExecutionerStyle wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. But then people are saying higher values are helping, so I dunno....

One thing I did notice, is the default values for GSInterpolationTime and GSDefaultLatencyCompensation are 100 and 0.100 respectively - suggesting they may be linked in some way... but without the source code in front of me, who knows...
fierce
I love [fiSh]
+167|6578
Any more experiences with these network tweaks?
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6637|Warlord

Ducksteina wrote:

Am I the only one thinking that this is just placebo? I tried it with many values but it didn't change ANYTHING. But yeah, if you think it helps you, then use it...
Nope. I haven't been using automatic weapons much (only a few minutes over the last few hours of play) but as for sniping I haven't noticed any change that I can be sure of. I've tried 40, 50 and 400 so far.

So although I was going to offer Sarge a big wet one if this worked luckily it seems I lucked out

fierce wrote:

Any more experiences with these network tweaks?
I also tweaked the GSExtrapolationTime (halved it) but then decided to work on one variable at a time and changed in back to 1200 (not that it made any difference that I could tell).
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6504|Sydney, Australia
Both the client and the server must perform interpolation, as the server won't know where each player is until after it receives a packet of data from each. So I think success in improving hitreg also depends on if the server has changed its interpolation time. If it hasn't, then perhaps clientside changes won't make too much of a difference.

To test this theory, I suggest gene_pool or anyone who has had certain successes with changing their values, to keep those values and play in some different servers to see if hit registration will diminish.

Last edited by Vub (2006-10-08 07:42:28)

(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6764
I dont recommend it to anyone.
I've tried it and since I changed the interpolation time in usersettings.con I cant join to any servers. When the "Join Server" would show up the "You lost connection to the server" appears. Ive copied back the backup file and the problem still occurs...
So reinstall for me...

Last edited by (HUN)Rudebwoy (2006-10-08 10:49:42)

Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6637|Warlord

(HUN)Rudebwoy wrote:

I've tried it and since I changed the interpolation time in usersettings.com I cant join to any servers. When the "Join Server" would show up the "You lost connection to the server" appears. Ive copied back the backup file and the problem still occurs...
So reinstall for me...
Are you sure that's the only thing you changed? Lots of people have done this without a problem; I'm currently testing another value, see if I can tell any difference.
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6600|Your attic

SargeV1.4 wrote:

ExecutionerStyle wrote:

God damn you DICE
Getting this as well, I already know it works as I played with it a few nights ago and it was godlike, then I play earlier today and nothing hits.

I'm guessing there is no real way to improve the hitreg perminatly in this game.

On a slightly different note did you ever get any of the other values in the usersettings file to effect anything?
Phrozenbot
+632|6625|do not disturb

Mine has improved.
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6764

Todd_Angelo wrote:

(HUN)Rudebwoy wrote:

I've tried it and since I changed the interpolation time in usersettings.com I cant join to any servers. When the "Join Server" would show up the "You lost connection to the server" appears. Ive copied back the backup file and the problem still occurs...
So reinstall for me...
Are you sure that's the only thing you changed? Lots of people have done this without a problem; I'm currently testing another value, see if I can tell any difference.
Well I've also changed the default latency compensation, but I dont think it would be the problem, because I had used it many times before...
lord_tyler_486
+54|6762|Upper Franconia
ok I played with 400 for some time. Obviously it really improves something as sniping and especially knifing is WAY easier. But sometimes I still get dust clouds that don't count as hit. So I changed it to 50, until now I havend noticed an uncounted shot yet...
edit: I changed it to 1 for a short time and about a minute after changing it begun LAGGING like hell.

Last edited by lord_tyler_486 (2006-10-08 12:17:52)

GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6772

This tip just fucking rules, I just had to post again. I got a new wireless card, and new internet service, and it took a crap on BF2 for some reason. I have an unstable connection and a high ping (90). I can't hit shit and it pisses me off to no end when I play. But then I use the Latency trick and Sarge's Interpolation trick and I'm on fire, even with the ocassional lag and skips. It really works, I don't know how, but it does. Thanks.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6762|Toronto, ON
How come killer21 posts disappeared?  ROFL.
Alpha as fuck.
pwned7
+53|6588
sif this works... lmfao...no user can change settings. its just that u "think" it works cause u are actually looking for the change in hitreg. hit registration is constant for every1.

btw sarge, i thought u werent gonna play this "shit" game because of the new patch... u as well as alot of other ppl. lol. i see absolutely EVERYONE that said they werent' gonna play bf2 anymore, nearly every day playing it. ur all infamous :p

ill stick to my 1337 skillz thanks one!!11!oneone!111!!!1

Last edited by pwned7 (2006-10-12 21:26:46)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard