YitEarp
+1|6745
initially i dismissed this gun for regular bf2 because of the 20 round clip and no nade launcher, but on SF maps where assault insurgents dont get nade launcher ive been using it recently and loving it!

awesome stopping power, decent accuracy.  20 round clip kinda stinks along with the iron sights but its damage is suhweet, and sniping with it isnt too hard.  too much fun to 1/2-hit people with.
Maj.Do
+85|6772|good old CA
i use the g3 alot in SF too
NamelessMarine
+0|6755
As a nilla BF2 player I feel it was a waste of unlock.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6767|The United Center
i believe it was my fourth unlock and i never used it.  i tried it a couple times and couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it.  i did like that you get frag grenades with it though.  lately ive been using it a bit more and found that in order for me to be at all accurate with it, i have to use the iron sites...for some reason i cant hit anything shooting from the hip.

it does good damage, and its pretty accurate once you get used to it, but the 20 round clip is a killer.  youre out of bullets before you even think about reloading.
a_fraudulent_miracle
+7|6735|MoVal, Southern California
I love the G3 I use it a lot on sharqi and karkand. People complain about the 20 round clip, but it's not that bad. If you do happen to come across a few enemies and run out of ammo, you gotta be quick and switch to your pistol. I took out 3 guys in a row because i flanked them from behind and wasted them with my fully-loaded G3, it was great

I like its iron sights as compared to the f2000 scope.
StikeZero
+0|6732
It was my Last unlock, but i like it, great stopping power and moderate accuracy I deffinatly think the F2000 is a better rifle though

Last edited by StikeZero (2005-12-11 11:41:58)

atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6791|Atlanta, GA USA
I just got it when I got 1st Sgt.  I really like it.  It is pretty accurate and does a lot of damage.  My only complaint (like everyone else) is the small clip size.  I have started trying to use it single shot to see if I can make a clip last longer.
RKF77
+1|6771
Use it on semi-auto and the 20-round MAGAZINE (it's not a clip, people) isn't as much of an issue.

It's pretty inaccurate on full auto (just another example of DICE not doing their homework), but moving smartly with it and using single-shot can be very effective.  It does have decent stopping power.  On full-auto it just chews through ammo too quickly...Assualt players that use it on full-auto find Jesus in Support players pretty damn quick.

I use it almost exclusively on Karkand and Sharqai when I'm not playing Support.

Last edited by RKF77 (2005-12-11 11:46:20)

Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6840

RKF77 wrote:

Use it on semi-auto and the 20-round MAGAZINE (it's not a clip, people) isn't as much of an issue.
yes, THANK YOU! people calling everything a clip these days really annoys me. they sound like gangbangers who bought a gun from the neighborhood crack dealer.
M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6774|Medicland, sthlm

RKF77 wrote:

It's pretty inaccurate on full auto (just another example of DICE not doing their homework),
Ummm... Homework? My friend, YOU have to do your homework. Firing the G3 on full auto at any range above 25 metres is a waste of ammo, as the 7.62 NATO cartridge packs a nice punch. The G3 is my serviceweapon in the swedish Homeguard. However, it's very very accurate RL-wise on singleshot, I give you that, not even remotely done justice by DICEs rendition of it.

RKF77 wrote:

On full-auto it just chews through ammo too quickly...Assualt players that use it on full-auto find Jesus in Support players pretty damn quick.
This I agree on fully. RL as well.
StikeZero
+0|6732

Krappyappy wrote:

RKF77 wrote:

yes, THANK YOU! people calling everything a clip these days really annoys me. they sound like gangbangers who bought a gun from the neighborhood crack dealer.
Lol i agree they kinda do sound like they bought AK-47's from the drug dealer down the road. It is a Mag not a clip =P
RKF77
+1|6771

M90Medic wrote:

Ummm... Homework? My friend, YOU have to do your homework. Firing the G3 on full auto at any range above 25 metres is a waste of ammo, as the 7.62 NATO cartridge packs a nice punch. The G3 is my serviceweapon in the swedish Homeguard. However, it's very very accurate RL-wise on singleshot, I give you that, not even remotely done justice by DICEs rendition of it.
Actually, I will respectfully disagree.  I've put several thousand rounds through a G3 and owned an HK91 for several years and found them both to be very accurate, including the G3 on full-auto.  Not as accurate as single-shot, obviously, but still pretty damn accurate for a big rifle on full-auto.

I'm speaking from my direct experiences with the weapon, so please don't presume to tell me I need to "do my homework".  I've done it, for a long time.  Given my experience with the G3, I think it's modeled very poorly across the board, with the exception of stopping power.
Locarno
Boom!Headshot?
+2|6860|Scotland!
will ummm  i got it.  the 20 rounds only doesn't bother me.
The no nade launcher doesn't bother me either.  I never used it, and never will.
I mean, if you can't take out 1 or 2 targets in 20 rounds, then you truely do suck,.
M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6774|Medicland, sthlm

RKF77 wrote:

M90Medic wrote:

Actually, I will respectfully disagree.  I've put several thousand rounds through a G3 and owned an HK91 for several years and found them both to be very accurate, including the G3 on full-auto.  Not as accurate as single-shot, obviously, but still pretty damn accurate for a big rifle on full-auto.

I'm speaking from my direct experiences with the weapon, so please don't presume to tell me I need to "do my homework".  I've done it, for a long time.  Given my experience with the G3, I think it's modeled very poorly across the board, with the exception of stopping power.
So post something about your experience with it, you wouldn't believe how these kind of forums sprawl with kids who get their information on firearms not from experience or training, but from the local CS-site or whatever.

Now that we've established this, we can have a constructive discussion. My humble opinion is that the G3 packs a too powerful cartridge to have practical application in full auto at ranges over 25-30 metres. Clearing rooms CQB-style, fine, it's sufficient, but firing full auto for effect... Meh, I'm not too convinced. Nothing near the accuracy of the FN-MAG or MG3.

Firing full auto, what kind of spread do YOU get with it? And in what circumstance would you find it practically applicable?
|60|Cobalt
Terror in the Skies
+30|6772|Leipzig/Germany
the only reason to unlock the G3 is to unlock the F2000

btw: although the real G3 isn't a bad weapon (at least in single fire mode) the G36 is way better - i was in the german army and shot both
M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6774|Medicland, sthlm

|60|Cobalt wrote:

the only reason to unlock the G3 is to unlock the F2000

btw: although the real G3 isn't a bad weapon (at least in single fire mode) the G36 is way better - i was in the german army and shot both
Havent' had the opportunity to fire the G36, have held one though, feels kinda like our AK5 (FNC). I still prefer the G3 over 5.56 (.223) variants, I prefer stoppingpower. As for the G3 ingame, I've picked it up from dead assaulters, toyed with it, discarded it, disappointed with it.
slidero
I've tried to use it and found it's just been worse compared to pretty much everything else.
RKF77
+1|6771

M90Medic wrote:

So post something about your experience with it, you wouldn't believe how these kind of forums sprawl with kids who get their information on firearms not from experience or training, but from the local CS-site or whatever.
Exactly, and it's insulting that you would ASSume I would be one of those kids before even talking to me.  Typical internet forum etiquette nowadays.  Nice work.  Had you not jumped to that conclusion immediately, maybe we could have been friends.

M90Medic wrote:

Now that we've established this, we can have a constructive discussion. My humble opinion is that the G3 packs a too powerful cartridge to have practical application in full auto at ranges over 25-30 metres. Clearing rooms CQB-style, fine, it's sufficient, but firing full auto for effect... Meh, I'm not too convinced. Nothing near the accuracy of the FN-MAG or MG3.
Fine, and my humble opinion is that for a weapon of its size packing the punch that it does, it is STILL pretty accurate on full-auto, based on my experiences firing the weapon.  Your experience is apparently different.  Unlike you, I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong.

My aim here was not to get your panties in a twist and force you come to everyone's rescue as the be-all, end-all expert on the G3.  It was not to pound my chest and talk about my "spreads" with it on full auto, or debate the practical applications of the weapon in full-auto mode.  It was simply to point out that across the board, I feel DICE modeled it poorly.  IMHO, they nerfed the accuracy (on full-auto AND semi-auto) because it does pack more punch...they did it for gameplay balance.

Last edited by RKF77 (2005-12-11 12:29:01)

YitEarp
+1|6745
ummm ok so pardon my ignorance for not being a gun nut, but wtf is the difference between calling it a magazine and a clip?  arent both acceptable terms for it?
slidero
Clip goes inside a magazine
M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6774|Medicland, sthlm

RKF77 wrote:

Exactly, and it's insulting that you would ASSume I would be one of those kids before even talking to me.  Typical internet forum etiquette nowadays.  Nice work.
Jeez, lighten up, had a bad day? Having seen this kinda stuff before, not only on this forum, I always assume the worst. Hence, when I have RL experience of something, I find it's a good idea to jot down a line on it.

RKF77 wrote:

Had you not jumped to that conclusion immediately, maybe we could have been friends.
If you took offence, my apologies, never my intention.

RKF77 wrote:

Fine, and my humble opinion is that for a weapon of its size packing the punch that it does, it is STILL pretty accurate on full-auto, based on my experiences firing the weapon.  Your experience is apparently different.  Unlike you, I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong.
I'm not trying to tell you youre wrong. I dont know what your experience of it is, I'm merely posting my experience with it.

RKF77 wrote:

My aim here was not to get your panties in a twist
I dont wear panties. Tried once on a drunken night years ago, painful experience. Still scarred by the ridicule.

RKF77 wrote:

and force you come to everyone's rescue as the be-all, end-all expert on the G3.  It was not to pound my chest and talk about my "spreads" with it on full auto, or debate the practical applications of the weapon in full-auto mode.
I've never posed as an expert on the G3. I'm a decent shot with it, have a decent amount of experience with it, shared my views on it. Was hoping to get an interesting discussion going on it, but apparently, alas...

RKF77 wrote:

It was simply to point out that across the board, I feel DICE modeled it poorly.  IMHO, they nerfed the accuracy (on full-auto AND semi-auto) because it does pack more punch...they did it for gameplay balance.
Here I agree. But I can at least fathom the crappy ingame fullauto accuracy.
RKF77
+1|6771

M90Medic wrote:

I'm not trying to tell you youre wrong. I dont know what your experience of it is, I'm merely posting my experience with it.
Sure seemed like you were when you told me that I needed to "do my homework"...guess I read that wrong.

My experiences with the weapon are that for its size, it is pretty damn accurate.  I had no problems whatsoever at 25m keeping all 17-18 rounds out of 20 within the silhouette using short, controlled, 4 or 5 round bursts on full-auto.  Not as accurate as an M4 or a CAR-15, certainly not as accurate as a G36K, UMP-45 or MP-5, but pretty friggin' nice for a big-ass rifle firing a 7.62mm x 51 round.

I'm not some 13 year-old, pimply-faced |33t h4x0r who doesn't know the difference between a magazine and a clip.  The G3 is just one of hundreds of guns I've put a lot of lead through over the years...and it is without a doubt one of my favorite guns to shoot when I do get the opportunity.

M90Medic wrote:

Was hoping to get an interesting discussion going on it, but apparently, alas...
Assuming you're talking to an ignorant kid and telling me I needed to do my homework isn't going to foster intelligent conversation.  But, what's done is done...you may not have meant it, but that's the way it sounded.  C'est la vie, shit happens and all that.  I'm past it. 

More than anything, it was a shot at DICE.  One of two things occurred with the G3 in BF2:  Either they didn't research it (because you and I both know it should be more accurate on single shot, and I think it should be more accurate on full-auto when using short bursts) or they intentionally made accuracy sketchy to balance gameplay.  IMO, had they modeled single-shot accuracy correctly, we'd see more people bitching about the G3 being uber than we see bitching about the grenade launchers...if that's even possible.
M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6774|Medicland, sthlm

RKF77 wrote:

More than anything, it was a shot at DICE.  One of two things occurred with the G3 in BF2:  Either they didn't research it (because you and I both know it should be more accurate on single shot, and I think it should be more accurate on full-auto when using short bursts) or they intentionally made accuracy sketchy to balance gameplay.  IMO, had they modeled single-shot accuracy correctly, we'd see more people bitching about the G3 being uber than we see bitching about the grenade launchers...if that's even possible.
True that. I considered the G3 for my first unlock, but having nicked a few, discarded immediately. Which is a shame, since it's a beauty.
NamelessMarine
+0|6755
Replace the G3 with the G11 and you'll have me interested.  Hmmm...come to think of it...*posts in suggestions*
jiggaman804
+0|6745
I think the gun is great. I love hearing other players using it when they're close.
Its got an awesome sound. I have no RL experience with it. But if I had the chance, Id use it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard