Yes45%45% - 9
No10%10% - 2
What is Starforce?45%45% - 9
Total: 20
Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6724|Sweden
Hi people!

Armed Assault is a Combat sim made by the creators of Operation Flashpoint. It is due to release in late November. There is one problem though: The developers might just add Starforce.
That is why i am urging you to sign this petition. This could stop the spreading of Starforce.

If you've never heard of Armed Assault, then please sign it anyway!
Perhaps you never heard of Armed Assault, but you still share my and my fellow Armed Assault fans hate
toward Starforce!! PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!

http://www.petitiononline.com/ArmA01/petition.html

Read about Starforce here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starforce

Last edited by Sh1fty2k5 (2006-10-05 08:20:08)

DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6560|Doncaster, UK
You got my honest answer, what is starforce?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6776

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6724|Sweden

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Here you go! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starforce

Im sure Starforce isn't too well know on these forums, since it is not used by BF2 and BF2 doesnt generally attract the real "nerds", but that doesn't change the fact that Starforce is all around us and it is eviler than all other computer copy protection systems ever created!

Did you sign ?
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6560|Doncaster, UK

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Im sure Starforce isn't too well know on these forums, since it is not used by BF2 and BF2 doesnt generally attract the real "nerds", but that doesn't change the fact that Starforce is all around us and it is eviler than all other computer copy protection systems ever created!

Did you sign ?
Okay, read all that, what's so bad about it?
Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6724|Sweden

usmarine2005 wrote:

Why would you not want the game to have this protection?
Please read the Wikipedia link.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6776

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Why would you not want the game to have this protection?
Please read the Wikipedia link.
I did........ sounds like a lot of geek rubbish to me.
Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6724|Sweden

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Did you sign ?
Starforce is a program that CANNOT be removed from a harddrive. Litterally the only way to get rid of it is by destroying your physical harddrive. It's like a tree with thousands of branches, it infects all other programs on your computer, and searches your harddrive every 5 minutes for a emulator or other crackprogram. This causes all heavy programs to lag or sometimes crash, imagine your BF2 crashing every half hour... Sure it does work but it can be cheated tho, just google it
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6560|Doncaster, UK

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

imagine your BF2 crashing every half hour
Patch 1.3 anybody?

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

Starforce is a program that CANNOT be removed from a harddrive. Litterally the only way to get rid of it is by destroying your physical harddrive.
That's not what the wiki says, it says it cannot be removed by conventional means. There are removal tools available.

This sounds like the Windows Genuine Advantage Tool.

Last edited by DoctorFruitloop (2006-10-05 08:37:47)

RaVeN.sco
+15|6548|Scotland

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

imagine your BF2 crashing every half hour... Sure it does work but it can be cheated tho, just google it
AND THATS DIFFERENT FROM NOW BECAUSE.................................

EDIT: BEATEN BY A FRUIT DAMMIT

MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS STUCK BTW......honest

Last edited by RaVeN.sco (2006-10-05 08:34:22)

Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6724|Sweden

RaVeN.sco wrote:

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

imagine your BF2 crashing every half hour... Sure it does work but it can be cheated tho, just google it
AND THATS DIFFERENT FROM NOW BECAUSE.................................
My BF2 never crashes... Your does?
Bernadictus
+1,055|6751

StarForce is a copyright protection software that is rumoured to fuck up your computer because it allegedly messes with all kinds of aspects of MS Windows XP and your hardware.

Anything with StarForce, is not getting installed on my Mac Bootcamp Windows.
Orgtheone
+30|6677|The Dark Side Of The Moon

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

Did you sign ?
Starforce is a program that CANNOT be removed from a harddrive. Litterally the only way to get rid of it is by destroying your physical harddrive. It's like a tree with thousands of branches, it infects all other programs on your computer, and searches your harddrive every 5 minutes for a emulator or other crackprogram. This causes all heavy programs to lag or sometimes crash, imagine your BF2 crashing every half hour... Sure it does work but it can be cheated tho, just google it
wtf are you talking about
as far as i knew SF was protection software installed into new games to stop piracy & nothing else
it makes it 100 times harder for People to crack new games & make no-cd crack's
and thats SF is a problem if you download games and not buy them
it installs fuck all onto your hard drive its not spyware or malware its just a game protection software
Go-Devil
Does a wild bear crap in the woods, son ????
+3|6464
WE SAY -= NO =- TO LAGG !!!!!!

F*CK LAGG-PROGRAMS  AND THEIR MAKERS !!!!

PEOPLE SPEND THOUSAND DOLLAR ON A PC AND THEN SOME STUPID RUSSIAN NERD WITH TOO MUCH SPARE TIME CREATES DIS SHIT....

I SAY BOOOOOH IN THE FACE OF STARFORCE AND ITS MAKERS ....

my caps lock isnt stuck, i'm just expressing my hate....

PEACE OUT !!  (lol)
kn0ckahh
+98|6753|netherlands, sweet lake city
lol mayB the petition should block PPL that try to sign it multiple times, @ the moment the petition isn't worth anything because somebody has voted multiple times.
Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6724|Sweden
More Votes that is
FesterTheMolester
BF2s US Server Admin, IRC>Forums
+157|6654|The Mind Of A Cereal Killer

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

Did you sign ?
i read the wikipedia article, and it said that in the new version whenever you uninstall the game, it uninstalls the driver.

also, in earlier versions, they made a program to un install it
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6786|PNW

I thought I was keeping up on copyright malware, but I honestly thought Starforce was like Starfox or something.

Signed (for all the good it'll do), because I hate reactionary, invasive software designed to serve corporations rather than their customers.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-05 11:46:14)

iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6560

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Sh1fty2k5 wrote:

Did you sign ?
I just installed a game that uses starforce and I remove it everytime i'm done playing the game. It's only 3 .sys files and 3 reg entries. I didn't need to destroy anything.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6681

Here's the important part in Wiki:

StarForce as malware, alleging several problems associated with the protection system, including disk drive performance degradation, weakening of operating system security and stability.

There are plenty of talks about how StarForce forces your CD or DVD drive to slow down to 1X speed, which will eventually destroy your drive.

I've also heard Punkbuster and StarForce don't play well together.  In other words, you can't play BF2 with StarForce installed.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6786|PNW

Ilocano wrote:

StarForce as malware, alleging several problems associated with the protection system, including disk drive performance degradation, weakening of operating system security and stability.

There are plenty of talks about how StarForce forces your CD or DVD drive to slow down to 1X speed, which will eventually destroy your drive.

I've also heard Punkbuster and StarForce don't play well together.  In other words, you can't play BF2 with StarForce installed.
My external Sony USB DVD writer has experienced alot of slowdowns over the past few years, and is now beginning to clunk and stall, forcing me to reinsert the disc it was using. I've had two DVD drives from different, reputable manufacurers fail within 1-2 years, both experiencing slowdowns, whereas before my disc drives lasted at consistant top speed until they were physically beaten into the dirt. And, upon checking, I have games and demos of games that employ StarForce. Does this necessarily prove anything? Not really. Suspicious coincidence? Why, yes. Do I get to sue those Russian sonsa'bitches for replacement hardware? Probably not.

Is it fair that people may eventually have to have at least two working computers to save their important applications from the copyright protection malware of their games? Not exactly. Is it fair that, in the relative absence of nerds complaining about copy protection on business applications, they will have bought two systems to operate under the illusion that their business PC will be free of all this garbage? Absolutely not.

Is it fair to PC manufacturers that some people may eventually tire of this crap and go Apple? Sort of. Perhaps that end of the industry should put some pressure on the software people.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-10-05 12:33:24)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6681

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

My external Sony USB DVD writer has experienced alot of slowdowns over the past few years, and is now beginning to clunk and stall, forcing me to reinsert the disc it was using. I've had two DVD drives from different, reputable manufacurers fail within 1-2 years, both experiencing slowdowns, whereas before my disc drives lasted at consistant top speed until they were physically beaten into the dirt. And, upon checking, I have games and demos of games that employ StarForce. Does this necessarily prove anything? Not really. Suspicious coincidence? Why, yes. Do I get to sue those Russian sonsa'bitches for replacement hardware? Probably not.

Is it fair that people may eventually have to have at least two working computers to save their important applications from the copyright protection malware of their games? Not exactly. Is it fair that, in the relative absence of nerds complaining about copy protection on business applications, they will have bought two systems to operate under the illusion that their business PC will be free of all this garbage? Absolutely not.

Is it fair to PC manufacturers that some people may eventually tire of this crap and go Apple? Sort of. Perhaps that end of the industry should put some pressure on the software people.

In the 10+ years or so I've built my own PC's, I've had only one CD-R drive go limping on me (real cheap brand to boot).  Then again, I've never installed StarForce (checked the games that had StarForce).  Google has ton of info about this malware. 

I so want to play X3, but am waiting for a StarForce-free version. I hear STEAM might make one available.

Which of those failed drives of yours had StarForce installed at the time?  What percentage?

I've got PC's all over the house.  Primary gaming PC, secondary gaming PC, Family PC, son's PC, media PC, secure PC, Laptop.  I'm currently putting together a new video-editing PC.

Last edited by Ilocano (2006-10-05 14:12:47)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard