hictor
+0|6424
Hello,

about 5 weeks ago I changed my ISP from BT to NTL, the day I ordered NTL they said I could use there 10mb broadband on a LAN shared internet connection. When there engineers installed they said I would not be able to share my internet with the modem/router I was using (Speedtouch 580) & that it had to be standard router, I later buy a Belkin 4 port router which was no problem setting up the LAN or shared internet on 2 pc's & 1 laptop but when I tried to play BF2 online via the belkin I kept loosing my connection as if the ports were shut (all ports, client & server have been opened on all pc's).

After asking for help on setting up the belkin on BF2sforums.com (I think I must have put it in the wrong place as it was removed) & having no luck I re phoned NTL support to ask for help. The support engineer (from india) told me that the belkin was no good for the job & I would need to use a standard hub/switch. To cut a long story short I today bought a Sitecom 8 port network switch & could not get the NTL internet connection via the sitecom switch to work. I re phoned NTL who instantly told me I could not use the switch to share the connection & would have to use a router. after 90 minutes on the phone with the engineer trying to help set up the original belkin he said forget what NTL have told me I would need a modem router !! I had already tried to explain to him the story & that i had my original speedtouch modem/router, a belkin router I had bought on there advise & now also a sitecom switch bought on there advise.

He eventually put me through to a supervisor who after some time said there engineers DO NOT KNOW ABOUT ROUTERS, SHARED INTERNET CONNECTIONS & SHOULDN'T HAVE GIVEN ME THAT ADVISE, & also said NTL ONLY ADVISE A SINGLE CONNECTION FROM THERE BROADBAND SERVICE ON A SINGLE PC & WOULD NOT & DO NOT SUPPORT ANYTHING ELSE & if I wasn't happy, to put it in writing & send to them. Noooooo

I can live with the fact NTL are not all what I was hoping (rot in hell) but I can't live with my LAN not on the web or not playing bf2 online ( especially now I have talked my girlfriend into playing BF2 & bought her her own copy for her birthday ! getinthere). I can play online with only 1 pc connected straight to the NTL modem but not while on the LAN which is a real pain.

My problem has now blown all out of proportion, I would be very grateful if anybody could help or give advise with the setting up of the belkin to allow shared internet for BF2 (or sticking it to NTL). I'm sure its still a port problem & have added ports via virtual server in the belkin settings, used latest belkin firmware & read lots on the forums, in the virtual server settings add, drop down box it lists lots of games & have tried the battlefield communicator in there with no luck.

[img]http://www.6565.co.uk/1/pic-9.gif[/img]

I don't have a problem with taking the router & switch back & buying something else if thats the answer.

Any help or advise would be appreciated, thanks for taking the time to look. best regards Paul
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6751|San Antonio, Texas
What is the model # of the router?

Last edited by {M5}Sniper3 (2006-09-30 11:33:15)

hictor
+0|6424
thanks for the quick reply,

router is: belkin 4 port router model F5D5231-4

thanks
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
hictor
+0|6424
you are a super star, thanks, I am on it, I will let you know (very soon) how i get on,

thanks again Paul
hictor
+0|6424
hi again,

I have used that setup for the belkin from portforward.com that you listed {M5}Sniper3 thanks, set up static IP, then listed ports in virture server as stated at portforward.com, no different, I can get a internet connection, login to bf2, connect to a bf2 server, join game then I loose connection after a short time.

Everything is OK connection wise when I use 1 pc with ntl modem but as soon as I use belkin router with  ports added in virture server (as well as in pc's), I loose the connection to bf2 server after a short while.

Not sure what else to try, thanks Paul
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
OK, I think it's Bf2's problem (not the connections). Now assuming you have tried multiple servers on BF2, go and play a different on-line game and see if you lose connection with that game.
=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6493|Houston, TX
I don't know about all the models and whatnot...but you should be using a broadband router.   Using a 4 port network hub won't cut it.
hictor
+0|6424

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

OK, I think it's Bf2's problem (not the connections). Now assuming you have tried multiple servers on BF2, go and play a different on-line game and see if you lose connection with that game.
how can it be a prob with bf2 it gives me a good conection without using the router?
i have tried many bf2 servers, i have'nt got another game i can use online to be honest so am buggered in that department
hictor
+0|6424

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

I don't know about all the models and whatnot...but you should be using a broadband router.   Using a 4 port network hub won't cut it.
NTL have told me you can not replace there modem its there modem or the high way,

i had was using originally a speedtouch 580 dsl modem router but could not get an internet connection useing router/modem with ntl modem, you have to use NTL modem full stop its mac serialed up from there end
Bozaloshtsh
Не пытай
+39|6499|51:33:24N 01:47:03W
Sorry to hear of your troubles hictor - you have finally decided for me that NTL are not to be used.  Their customer services have sucked for years, sounds like it got worse.

Good Luck with finding a solution dude!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard