mad_jester813
+12|6447|Virginia, USA
I was discussing with a friend of mine (Captngetsome if you want to look up his stats) about what constitutes "good" in terms of how fast you make various ranks and score milestones. For example, Captn and me are the same rank, but I've played about half the amount of time that he has (and he only has about 40% more points than me).

So I guess I'm kind of curious to know that you all use as a measure of how good a person is. I'm personally not impressed just by a rank...I've seen people who are officers, but it took them a few billion hours to get it because their SPM is 0.000043.

So...what do you use? SPM? Awards or ribbons? Rank? Whether or not they're an admin or moderator on BF2S?
Trigger_Happy_92
Uses the TV missle too much
+394|6672
i dont give a fuck about stats. ive seen corporals who are better at TV guiding then fucking 4 stars. not to be crass, but i judge em ingame. i dont care what all their shit is. if you do good ingame, thats all that counts for me.
mad_jester813
+12|6447|Virginia, USA
Well, in game is definitely a huge part of it, Trigger Happy. I know that I've had a glitch a couple times where the server didn't get my right rank and unlocks, so I show up as a private sec. class, but then I score 100+ points and people are like "WTF? He's a private?" and then the cheating accusations usually start...
LT.Victim
+1,175|6585|British Columbia, Canada
I dont really care about stats, if the guy can pwn, then more power to him..

But, i think KDR is more important then SPM.. i mean its hard to get a high SPM on maps like Wake (unless your in a J-10 or Z-10..)

But its easy if your playing karkand..

So KDR is more important..
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6742|California

attitude > stats.

If i encounter a 4-star general, who may be in the top 30 (names witheld), and he goes insane when no one revives him, or something happens that he doesnt like... Then i would see that person as having little skill

on the contrary, if i play with a lance corporal, and he is a blast to play with, i would pick the LC any day.
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6648|Quebec city, Canada
To rate stats I look first at
KDR regarding infantry and vehicles stats (the 2 are important, dont forget its bf2 stats and there are vehicles in bf2)

SPM regarding maps (spm of 2 on karkand is decent but spm of 3 on clean sweep is strong)

sometimes the amout of gold stars... but the rest of the awards are not really important imo because some people play to get them and some dont change their behaviours (for example stay in a TOW for a whole game to get the gold badge).

edit : relative stats may tell a lot about a player skills if you can analyze them correctly. But ranks and time dont always mean real skills.

Last edited by -=raska=- (2006-09-24 19:51:39)

Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6771|Mark it zero.
SPM is not a good way to see someones skill level. when i play with my friends/clan, we usually run around on foot and sneak into enemy spawns and use c4 to fuck with people. it takes up whole rounds and usually not many points.
SGT.Slayero
+98|6488|Life in a vacuum sucks
i look at awards then spm,kdr,wlr,acc then how long thay have been playing.
im_in_heaven
+27|6610

Trigger_Happy_92 wrote:

i dont give a fuck about stats. ive seen corporals who are better at TV guiding then fucking 4 stars. not to be crass, but i judge em ingame. i dont care what all their shit is. if you do good ingame, thats all that counts for me.
Rofl i was playing with a colonel yesterday and i was piloting the chopper and was lining him up he would shoot the tv but he didnt know that he could guide it *sigh*. He insisted that i fly cuz hes "a good gunner". Not once did he guide the missle. And we played in it the entire round.  Iwas surprised to see someone with that rank not know how to tv
im_in_heaven
+27|6610

Kamikaze17 wrote:

SPM is not a good way to see someones skill level. when i play with my friends/clan, we usually run around on foot and sneak into enemy spawns and use c4 to fuck with people. it takes up whole rounds and usually not many points.
Exactly.
mad_jester813
+12|6447|Virginia, USA
I think that a couple of you had really good points about how SPM is directly tied to the map (thanks to everyone's favorite "Wake Island Whore" Lt. Victim for pointing that out. lol). I think that it's obvious that that's the reason why people love to play Karkand...for the points. But I have to say that (in my opinion) the points are directly tied to the fun, regardless of the score. I mean, when you're getting points, that means that you're in the action (unless you're stat-padding).

Don't get me wrong, it's totally possible to do dumb stuff in the name of earning points. How many times have YOU been laying dead in the middle of a street in Karkand and been revived three times and killed three times within about 10 seconds? That drives me crazy. I've been a medic for a fair share of my time, but if I revive you once and you die instantly again, I have a feeling that you don't want to get stuck in that cycle, so I just declare you dead, mark the time of death, and go on my way...

Anyway...back to our main topic...it seems like KDR is the preferred stat for most of you...but is that always a good indicator? Some people are just less likely to get killed...snipers immediately come to mind when compared to assault or spec-ops who run out face-first into the fight. A good sniper won't be in the middle of the action...just close enough to see it through his scope (and leave claymores for everyone to trip over).

Or do most of you look at lots of stats before making a judgment on a player? Like if you looked at my stats, what would you say about me without having ever played in a server with (or against) me?
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6728|Antarctica
SPM above 2 *if* you play all maps means you prob know what your doing, even though sometimes the low-scorers turn the tide of battle by holding/taking certain flags.  If you play Citymaps/Wake with a SPM under 3 you suck.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6742|California

VeNg3nCe^ wrote:

If you play Citymaps/Wake with a SPM under 3 you suck.
ooo! thats me!
aLi3nZ
+138|6529|New Zealand
I look at SPM and k/d ratio with each weapon and vehicle. I don't think accuracy or w/l ratio is a good mesure. SPM is also only a good measure if you play 64 plr city maps.
millhous
+39|6659|OREEGONE, USA
Ranks mean shit.  You could be like Blazin.uk and be a revive bitch or ECR.RC who's only existance in life is to polish the inside of a karkand tank with a tooth brush.
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6649|Sea to globally-cooled sea
WLR is a horrible indicator.  my WLR is 0.98 right now, and I know I'm better than most people out there.  If you want to challenge me, PM me and we'll figure something out.

a good indicator of someone who is good is accuracy, well-roundedness (plays several different kits well), SPM, to a certain extent.  I disagree with people who talk about a SPM of over 3 on Wake.  you're only talking Jet whores.  If you don't get to the Jet first in the very beginning of a round, you're stuck on the island until US finally does something.  overall, wake sucks.  Play Dragon Valley.

A good player will do what the commander asks, even if it involves running off to Factory to get a solitary guy rather than sticking around hotel spamming USMC with only 1,000,000,000 grenades.

I think another good indication of a good player is the amount of flag caps they have.  If you find a guy who spends more time as infantry than in armor with a good number of flag points, you know he's good.  You know that he will take on people to get on a flag, and be good enough to hold his position long enough to fend off any new spawned enemies and eventually cap it.

People have different strengths.  I'm not afraid to admit that there are better pilots out there than I am.  I'm practicing, and I'm getting better, though.

I think the best way to tell if someone is good is to look up their global rank.  Check if the number of hours they have is significantly less than the other people around them.  Then you know they are climbing quickly, and they are good.
slicknic
+145|6648
i usually go by spm and % they are in top 3 ... then k/d then accuracy
GermanLegionaire
...performing headshots!
+46|6607|Hamburg / Germany
Has anyone mentioned the "Kill per minute" indicator?
IntrebuloN
+8|6493
SPM is a good way of judging skill, but you have to factor it against whether they play a LOT of one map or if their time is fairly well distributed

i love sharqi and oman, not much for karkand unless i have a tankwhore m8 with me or something, but i do try to play all maps, even shongua and zatar (shongua is a GREAT map, fog, lots of cover, non-linear play)

other then that i would say figure out what kit the player uses most, and see what his accuracy is with all possible weapons in said kit

too bad we couldn't compare stats for say, the last 5, 10 or 20 hours (something like that) of play time

then again, i consider myself tactically skilled, and my personal strategy is pretty good (many have underestimated the sneakiness)

i love how ppl always try to cap the nearest possible flags on maps like mash, while i generally try for something closer to the opposing uncap, nme proximity keeps ppl on their toes and causes mistakes

look at dalian...first flag i go for (as US) would be entrance, since holding it puts a choke on assets coming from the airfield, and the j10's can't really bomb it after takeoff without circling once, and while china focuses on reclaiming that to get their second helo up, you're mostly free to cap the two warehouse flags (loss for their names)   Get those and china has their work cut out forcing us offshore again, even if they regain entrance

that all being said, i generally waste a lot of time (lowering my SPM) getting to those advanced positions so my team has an easier time at winning (all other things being equal of course)

on a map like wake, first thing i do as US would be to steal a (or both with a buddy) j10's

skill isn't just killing

when i snipe (l96a1 usually) instead of focusing on 1 guy until he's dead (since he'll zig like a mofo after 1 hit) i hit each guy i see once, and try to peg any medics while they toss packs, i may not get many kills, but i'm softening up advancing inf considerably, allowing my teammates to advance quickly

Last edited by IntrebuloN (2006-09-25 00:36:45)

lendll
+16|6455
I have to mention that in my case, and maybe in the cases of others, karkand and city maps are played more(and seen more in our stats) than other maps cuz of how a server's rotation is. For instance, my favorite server plays jalal. every other map. Does that mean I'm a jalal. whore to get intense-infantry-combat level points? Nah, just means server admins dictate to an extent what maps will be played, which in turn dictates your stats...to a certain point:)

Last edited by lendll (2006-09-25 00:53:19)

mad_jester813
+12|6447|Virginia, USA

IntrebuloN wrote:

too bad we couldn't compare stats for say, the last 5, 10 or 20 hours (something like that) of play time
Chuy, are you reading this? lol. I think that would be a great feature. That was another thing that Captngetsome and I were discussing...that even though both of us have SPM's beow 3, if we started a new account, we could probably be pushing 4 with out SPM's (yes, I will confess, I love Karkand. Fast paced infantry combat is where the fun is in my opinion).

IntrebuloN wrote:

when i snipe (l96a1 usually) instead of focusing on 1 guy until he's dead (since he'll zig like a mofo after 1 hit) i hit each guy i see once, and try to peg any medics while they toss packs, i may not get many kills, but i'm softening up advancing inf considerably, allowing my teammates to advance quickly
What a team player. I get so many assists when I snipe that it's not even funny. I think that part of what makes it so easy NOT to be a team player is that over the course of balancing the game, some of the kits have lost their punch. If you look at my stats, I have a ton of time as Spec-Ops. That was all I played up until the patch (I think that it was 1.3....) where they made it so you couldn't jump and throw C4. After that, tanks ruled the world (or at least Karkand) because it takes 3 or 4 AT rockets to blow them up. Then I unlocked the G36 for the medic and I became a medic since my beloved C4 had been castrated.

GermanLegionaire wrote:

Has anyone mentioned the "Kill per minute" indicator?
That's a good one if you're talking about someone who kills a lot. I got for a high SPM, but that doesn't make me a grenade spammer on Karkand. As several people have said, I like to take flags and sneak around behind the enemy (I'm that person you pray your commander scans and spots before he takes the suburbs or train accident ) It frustrates me SO MUCH when the idiots on my USMC team want to spend the whole round smashing their face into the hotel when I can run right past the hotel and try to take a spawn point only to get killed by one or two guys.

I think that there needs to be some way to earn points for team based activities (see my seperate thread regarding that)
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6852
The things I look for on someones stats are
Flag caps and flag assists vs. time playing.
Time spent on Karkand
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6761|The Hague, Netherlands

I judge the person Ingame, with multiple 1 vs 1 combat stuff, If that ever happens, I dont look at stats with the intention : Wooo look at him, mostly its nice, but nothing with "Skill"

-there are just so many ways to get the "good"  stats the easy way
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Z-trooper
BF2s' little helper
+209|6781|Denmark

stryyker wrote:

attitude > stats.

If i encounter a 4-star general, who may be in the top 30 (names witheld), and he goes insane when no one revives him, or something happens that he doesnt like... Then i would see that person as having little skill

on the contrary, if i play with a lance corporal, and he is a blast to play with, i would pick the LC any day.
Agreed
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6512|Gogledd Cymru

I go on ingame, just yesterday i was the highest ranking player on my team (2nd lietenant tho ) and there were 3 privates 1 private first class two gunnery sargeants and 4 lance corporals. Then the other team consisted of two Sargeant Majors (silver leaf thingy) and 2 lietenant colonels (bronze leafy thing) in the same clan, one general 4 stars 1 general 3 stars and there were 3 my rank 2nd lietenant and one captain ( 2 silver bars). The map was mashtuur 32 player, no vehicles we were usmc, they mec we zero ticketed the fools both rounds 150 sumfin - 0 and 93-0 to us it was quality, the officers were pwned next round i got swapped to usmc and joined the "better players" due to admins, then when i joined back mec i got kicked for disobeying admins !!! fucking side stackers should be shot.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard