sidneysmut
Banned
+13|6562
being all taken and the game is half over by the time i join. why is this? why do people join the game quicker than me?

also, when i do join i suffer horrendous lag for the first minute or so. i can't move or do anything. why is this?

thanks.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6624
Go to the bf2 help section, there are several stickies for this, I believe. Also search would help...

(the right answer is a long one, so can't really be bothered to copy what others have already written)
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6691|California

you need a better computer.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6662|Devon, England
basicly, you will need a good pc.
[mcp]eltorrente
+26|6479
It's a combination of everything in your computer- Harddrive (physically loading the info from your disk takes time), and Processer and RAM (To compile the data you loaded and convert it into the level that you go running around in), then network ("Synching up" with the server and the other players will take a few secs usually).
sidneysmut
Banned
+13|6562
i have a good pc. brand new dell thingie with top processor and stuff and memory and stuff to do with graphics and more stuff. sure my dell (he reads the label which is as far as his knowledge goes :-))) dimension 9100 is a good pc?!
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6624
While I write my full post, you will have to make do with this:

it's a Dell.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6691|California

sidneysmut wrote:

i have a good pc. brand new dell thingie with top processor and stuff and memory and stuff to do with graphics and more stuff. sure my dell (he reads the label which is as far as his knowledge goes :-))) dimension 9100 is a good pc?!
specifications?

and remember, however:

Sarge wrote:

it's a Dell.
sidneysmut
Banned
+13|6562

SargeV1.4 wrote:

While I write my full post, you will have to make do with this:

it's a Dell.
doh!
voltage
+46|6811|Sweden
The server needs a start delay
sidneysmut
Banned
+13|6562

stryyker wrote:

sidneysmut wrote:

specifications?

and remember, however:

Sarge wrote:

it's a Dell.
think i may have found my specs: 3.19 ghz, 1gb of ram. i have a nvidia geforce 6800 which i think is my graphics card which i think has 256 mb's of something or other. hard drive is about 240gb and i have a 2 meg internet connection.

Last edited by sidneysmut (2006-09-19 13:22:41)

jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6626|Cambridge, England
oh, thats not too bad, try lowering settings.

Last edited by jimmanycricket (2006-09-19 13:22:39)

Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6665|Howell, Mi USA

stryyker wrote:

you need a better computer.
QfT
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6662|Devon, England
so it's not THAT bad then...

maybe you should put your graphic settings to low?

bf2 has pretty high demands when it comes to full graphic settings.
sidneysmut
Banned
+13|6562

FFLink13 wrote:

so it's not THAT bad then...

maybe you should put your graphic settings to low?

bf2 has pretty high demands when it comes to full graphic settings.
that's what i was thinking. i may give that a whirl, drop it down a notch. i was thinking more about sound too.

i noted in my first post that right at the start i struggle to move for the first minute or so, however, when i do move it is when there is no sound, i.e. people spotting or rogering etc. so would it help if i dropped the sound quality or something down?
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6624
that's surprisingly not bad for a Dell. It actually has a video card!

ahem..

well, to be sure of your specs go to start > run > and type dxdiag. That will have most of your specs right there.

Did you buy the 6800 after buying your PC? You see, Dells are notorious for having mediocre PSU's (power supplies) and without a decent one that supplies enough power you can run into all kinds of trouble.. If you happen to know what kind of wattage it has that would be a start.. If the videocard came with the PC then it's probably alright.

There's all kinds of stuff that affects loading times in BF2: RAM (1gb should do for medium settings), harddisk (A SATA one with decent RPM) that isn't completely full, viruses, spyware, too many programs running, undefragmented harddrive (wouldn't that be fragmented? ah nevermind.)

Tried formatting yet?

Last edited by SargeV1.4 (2006-09-19 13:27:34)

M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6702|Peoria, Illinois
I had the same comp and same problems. Added RAM to total 2.5 Gigs and first in the server most of the time.
sidneysmut
Banned
+13|6562

SargeV1.4 wrote:

that's surprisingly not bad for a Dell. It actually has a video card!

ahem..

well, to be sure of your specs go to start > run > and type dxdiag. That will have most of your specs right there.

Did you buy the 6800 after buying your PC? You see, Dells are notorious for having mediocre PSU's (power supplies) and without a decent one that supplies enough power you can run into all kinds of trouble.. If you happen to know what kind of wattage it has that would be a start.. If the videocard came with the PC then it's probably alright.

There's all kinds of stuff that affects loading times in BF2: RAM (1gb should do for medium settings), harddisk (A SATA one with decent RPM) that isn't completely full, viruses, spyware, too many programs running, undefragmented harddrive (wouldn't that be fragmented? ah nevermind.)

Tried formatting yet?
thanks sarge.

the 6800 was with the pc. the harddrive is defo not full of viruses, spyware (scan all the time) and is usually at about 70% free. it is not fragmented either, i defrag it every week (sometimes more often if i have downloaded a lot of stuff). programs running in background i try to shut them down but i never now which are vital for the smooth running of the computer. i know to go in to task manager and i should be ok to shut anything down that is not 'system' but other programs not 'system' would be about 30+ and to shut them down everytime i want to play would be a little annoying.

what about formatting?

guess i should try running it on lower settings, see how that goes. think it is all running on 'high' at the moment, that could be half my problem!

Last edited by sidneysmut (2006-09-19 13:37:39)

Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6624
well.. here's the thing, I hate trying to find out the cause for annoying problems that never seem to have a logical solutions. First, do you get bad performance in other games? If not then you could try reinstalling BF2.

Faulty hardware could always be the cause, but unless if you have another stick of RAM lying around to test..

if I was you I'd format, but neither do I recommend formatting often, and it can be a pain to have to back all your stuff up too.. reinstalling BF2 + try using the search function here is really the best advice I can give as there's nothing wrong that usually is the problem.
sidneysmut
Banned
+13|6562
thanks again sarge.

think i will try knocking my settings down a level. don't want to start uninstalling/formatting just yet. see how it goes.
slicknic
+145|6597
thats most of your problem... you need to drop everything to low/off and it wont take near as long to load.

i think the main cause of the lag is not enough ram for high textures...
sidneysmut
Banned
+13|6562

slicknic wrote:

thats most of your problem... you need to drop everything to low/off and it wont take near as long to load.

i think the main cause of the lag is not enough ram for high textures...
to tell you the truth i have never looked at the settings. i'm a firm believer of 'if it works then don't fiddle or mess with it.' however, this is really starting to bug me so i think now it is time to mess with the settings and see if it makes any difference. i just wouldn't mind once or twice being first on the server so i can have a go of some kind of vehicle before they are all taken!
greenhaven
+47|6436

sidneysmut wrote:

No. The processor is okay, the RAM is likely generic slow crap, and only 1 GB, slow HDD, and pisswank graphics.
sidneysmut
Banned
+13|6562
how do i find out the speed of my hard drive and what kind of hard drive it is?

i thought nvidia were quite good graphic cards?

Last edited by sidneysmut (2006-09-19 14:36:16)

Bozaloshtsh
Не пытай
+39|6478|51:33:24N 01:47:03W

SargeV1.4 wrote:

if I was you I'd format, but neither do I recommend formatting often, and it can be a pain to have to back all your stuff up too..
You should always Backup - as often as you can - once every week at best...

There have been numerous whinges about lost data/files/photos...  Backup, backup, backup  remember!

You've got a pretty decent Dell there dude - another GB of memory should help - helped me no end

edit for spelling

Last edited by Bozaloshtsh (2006-09-19 14:47:53)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard