Banned
+1,153|6623|Washington, DC

I wish I had that tint on my sunglasses =/
MECtallica
+73|6497|jalalabad
You disconnected through punkbuster.

reason follows in english below

KICKING!!!! Mj.Blindfisch "STOP USING DOUCHEBAG GLASSES HACKS""' ADMIN DECISION

Last edited by MECtallica (2006-09-18 15:36:28)

Brasso
+1,549|6623

Jeez I wish I had orange sunglasses.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6689|Germany
At least is this thread more amusing and entertaining than the usual "OMG,HAXORS!"-,"I'M A CAPTAIN NOW"- or "Y 4R3 MY 1337 5T4T5 N0T UPD4t3D Y3T?"-threads....

And yes,you can't trick your eyes into "seeing better" with this.
You are actually seeing "different".
The difference is difficult to explain,I just can tell everybody to try it out yourself.
Maybe you like it,maybe you don't.
But at least try it or just shut up before you post that you always play in your granny's silk nightgown or your fluffy bunny pyjamas with a welding mask on.
TC><Injecter
+4|6821|Berlin, Germany
Nike produces contact lenses??? Playing a video game with sunglasses? Why not put a cigar into your mouth when being commander ^^.

But hm... The only thing left to say is: Oaklay rulez *putting blue-iridium on to try*...

@Blind: Orange Gläser fürs Radfahren sind fast genial. Scheiß Wetter, Brille druff und WOW die Sonne scheint Aber ich habs irgendwie gerne dunkler als so real.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6590|Seattle

So 1337.

https://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/61f66c758d.jpg
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6689|Germany
Yes,it is.At least this way:https://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l232/MajorBlindfisch/nike-maxsight-motive-1.jpg

Last edited by Mj.Blindfisch (2006-09-19 13:54:04)

specops10-4
+108|6736|In the hills
Hmm, i have some shootin glasses, i could try it but I dont want to make myself look ugly for myself.  I will just end up making fun of myself and eventually killing myself, if not i will go emo on myself!

COUNT THE # OF "MYSELFS", i just noticed it ...
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85
I don't have any of these glasses, hence I haven't been able to try it yet. I understand these glasses work in real life, but have a really hard time believeing they help in a game where every color you see isn't actually correct, just some color on a screen. If you bothered to look up the placebo effect, you would have seen i'm saying you think it actually makes a difference, but in fact doesn't actually change anything. The changes are real, but only because you want them to be real.
dont_be_ss
+312|6586|selby, n. yorkshire, UK

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

before you post that you always play in your granny's silk nightgown or your fluffy bunny pyjamas with a welding mask on.
Hmm have you tried a welding mask yet?
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6689|Germany

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

.....you think it actually makes a difference, but in fact doesn't actually change anything. The changes are real, but only because you want them to be real.
http://www.visionconnection.org/Content … e%5Ftest=1

"The concept of using lenses to control light is not new. Throughout history, people have tried various ways to minimize the effects of bright light and glare. The Eskimos used whalebone goggles with slits to reduce glare off the ice when they went hunting. The Chinese invented the Tcha Chi, a tea lens with brown tint. Green lenses were developed in England in 1561 to aid ailing eyes. But it wasn't until 1870 that a special lens was produced to absorb ultraviolet (UV) light."

"Sunglasses keep certain wavelengths of light from entering the eye. They can reduce the amount of light entering the eye, protect against harmful UV light, decrease glare and increase contrast."

"yellow lenses,(...) increase the apparent brightness of objects or surroundings, and may enhance contrast both indoors and outdoors. Yellow lenses, for example, may help a person see a golf ball"

Last edited by Mj.Blindfisch (2006-09-18 16:38:06)

Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6620|Warlord
Interesting Mj.Blindfisch, good find!

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I don't have any of these glasses, hence I haven't been able to try it yet. I understand these glasses work in real life, but have a really hard time believeing they help in a game where every color you see isn't actually correct, just some color on a screen. If you bothered to look up the placebo effect, you would have seen i'm saying you think it actually makes a difference, but in fact doesn't actually change anything.
It absolutely does change things. They are filtering the light coming from the monitor. The effect won't be as pronounced as from real-world equivalents but it's still changing the spectral profile of the light that gets to your eyes.

Semi-technical blurb: yellow lenses filter out blue (as in RGB blue) so it'll actually be cutting out some, or all, of the blue light emitted from the monitor. What's left is red and green, so in addition to having changed the colour of everything it's also cut the total luminance down by a third, which is why it would help with glare in the game. But generally it'll make things duller, lowering contrast, so I'm not convinced it would actually work to improve visibility but it's worth a shot.
skratch-x
+25|6629|NY, USA
The light generated by your monitor in no way models light you would see in analogous real-world situations; the effect of your roflgoggles is therefore not comparable to their effectiveness in real life.  I personally think your use of them is really ridiculous, but have fun...
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England
Yeah, how can the roflgoggles help on a 2d computer image. I'll take your word for it though, just that i'll never try it.
Trooper_Collider
+25|6737
Sounds interesting, I'm gonna get me a pair of those too. Thx for the info! +1

Semper Fi!
MrE`158
+103|6616
The lenses don't have to 'enhance' the 2d image coming off his monitor.  Read what Blinfisch posted above (see the horrible green of post #36):  Yellow lenses increase contrast.  It doesn't matter what you're looking at.

If yellow lenses increase your perception of contrast, then they'll help you spot changes in the image you're looking at, the source of the image won't matter.  Yellow lenses should in fact help you spot targets, since they are different (and thus contrast with the background).  By enhancing the contrast, you make the targets easier to spot.  And the quicker you can spot your targets, the quicker you can react to them, and the more time you have to kill them before they kill you.

There's no reason why yellow lenses wouldn't have this effect in BF2, though given the limitations of resolution etc. it may not be as pronounced as in real life.  And I'm still not going to bother my arse finding a pair of yellow sunglasses to play computer games in
Drax
Paddles/Plane Whore
+28|6553|Australia, NSW

skratch-x wrote:

The light generated by your monitor in no way models light you would see in analogous real-world situations; the effect of your roflgoggles is therefore not comparable to their effectiveness in real life.  I personally think your use of them is really ridiculous, but have fun...
the image created on the monitor screen are pixels created by directing electrons to each different spot on the screen, and colours come from RGB mixes. you may think that this is different to "real", but the way humans actually see colour(and shade etc) is taking in the different wavelengths of light that are reflected off the object.
(i wont go into much detail )
we see these formations on screen the exact same way we see anything else in real, just that you are confused because the monitor is refreshing the pixels nonstop. putting sunglasses on will effectivly change the way colours  are viewed by the eye, as different wavelengths of colours are absorbed into the glasses, and do not reflect.

colour/sunglasses do make a difference, and will work on the computer (but even then you should probably get a good detail monitor to greatly see change)

wow i do physics :p
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6683|Devon, England
um... what is the placebo effect?

oh, and surely these orange glasses/contact lenses can't help too much in bf2 (i'm not saying they don't), as bf2 has it's own lights that aren't natural.

i might be wrong, but i think there is some truth in what i said.
{TL}SHARPSHOOTER
Vacuum Sealed for Freshness
+26|6737|The Island of Carls Jr.
Ive tried 3D glasses, but theyre not good.
basetballjones
+30|6741
I have two pairs of hunting/shooting glasses, one orange and one yellow, and never considered them until now.  They work great in the RL, but conventional wisdom says that pixels are not RL.

Just got back from Oman and Dalian.

It works.  Thank you.  Sun glare is cut and somehow the new shading really does make players stand out like sore thumbs, and snipers on ridges and roof edges might as well have a sign "Sniper: here --->"
Also, for some reason they made it very, very difficult to see through the cockpit of the AZ on Dalian, but not through the Cobra..?

I honestly would have been sleptical that they would have worked with an LCD if I didn't have them here to try. I don't know how they cut rendered sunglare, that's just odd, but great.  I guess it could be the placebo effect, but I kinda do know what I am used to seeing without them. 
It's a good trick to enhance infantry, I might even say I did a tiny bit better in firefights during my test.
OpsChief
+101|6669|Southern California
A link to why filtering out colors 'enhances' vision is here http://www.accessexcellence.org/AE/AEC/ … round.html

I found this link to a shooting glasses seller that describes how different environments are compensated by  shades, http://www.sportsvisions.com/colspecs.htm#colspecs - lol i don't work for them. This was an interesting summary color/environment for use.

I have a question, When you tested the colored lenses was your gaming room well lit or dark except the monitor?
skratch-x
+25|6629|NY, USA

Drax wrote:

skratch-x wrote:

the image created on the monitor screen are pixels created by directing electrons to each different spot on the screen, and colours come from RGB mixes. you may think that this is different to "real", but the way humans actually see colour(and shade etc) is taking in the different wavelengths of light that are reflected off the object.
we see these formations on screen the exact same way we see anything else in real, just that you are confused because the monitor is refreshing the pixels nonstop. putting sunglasses on will effectivly change the way colours  are viewed by the eye, as different wavelengths of colours are absorbed into the glasses, and do not reflect.

colour/sunglasses do make a difference, and will work on the computer (but even then you should probably get a good detail monitor to greatly see change)

Yeah, I'm a third year physics major.  You don't have to explain the workings of the electromagnetic spectrum or how we percieve light.  It's not wavelengths we are sensitive to, but rather, frequencies; wavelength is dependent on medium while frequency is constant.
Because of the manner in which the monitor generates light, there are several differences between it and real life.  For example, the monitor's light is polarized and the resolution is far lower than the real world.  Time to finish my quantum mechanics homework.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6620|Warlord

skratch-x wrote:

Drax wrote:

skratch-x wrote:

Yeah, I'm a third year physics major.  You don't have to explain the workings of the electromagnetic spectrum or how we percieve light.
And yet a number of people have tried it and confirm it works... There's a trap in thinking that because we understand some of the science behind something (here, your knowledge of the electromagnetic spectrum) we can correctly determine certain outcomes, cause-and-effect scenarios etc. Here, knowledge of the way the human visual system is just as important as an understanding of the physics of light, if not more relevant.

You should be familiar with the old analysis of the flight dynamics of bees, the one that stated that they couldn't fly... now doesn't that tell us something about our understanding of aerodynamics since theres some pretty compelling evidence that bees can in fact fly perfectly well? Bottom line: beware the theoretical 'reasons' something shouldn't work when the experimental confirms it does.
J3ST3R
+59|6506|Vancouver, Canada

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

Anybody here know these yellow sunglasses which you can often see worn by guys on a shooting range?

I found a set of sunglasses with exchangeable lenses(my mom bought those years ago) in one of our many drawers yesterday.
I thought I give BF2 and these yellow glasses a try - and the effect is amazing!
This yellow filter really enhances the view,small targets are like "cut out" of their surroundings,irritating reflexions are gone(you can look right into the sun with those and still make out all the details).

If you got those or similar glasses I suggest you give them a try,it's a really amazing change(I'm not gonna say enhancement,some people might be distracted by the filter,I just love it).
As for me,I'm gonna order orange Nike contact lenses for myself,wanted to test those anyway for biking.
I wonder how much of a nerd your parents think you are when they walk into your room and see you playing with fucking shooting glasses on.
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6687|Vancouver BC Canada
Haven't tried it with BF2 yet, but the orange lenses do make a huge difference while skiing. They pick off the blue/white light, letting you see shapes better.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard