dknessfalls
+9|6415|Corona, California
let obesit pandemics go on, it will reduce worldwide population and only let the strong and smart ppl survive, therefore evolve beyond obesity

im a big guy myself, 5' 7" at 180 pounds, but my body reacts to anything i eat, or if i excercise i see immediate results, so i keep myself leveled out by working out and ripping a few muscles every now and then
JaMDuDe
+69|6748
I refuse to believe americans are fat. Its just the media that wants us to believe they are.
eagles1106
+269|6554|Marlton, New Jersey.
Dude, you said you're a minority?
The thin people are the majority, at least so far :\

Last edited by eagles1106 (2006-09-11 14:38:31)

Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
Well, for me this is how it is:
I am 5'6" and about 154 lbs. I am a little overweight. I could loose 10-20 lbs. This is my day: Wake up at 6:15 AM. Do my morning routine, shower, breakfast, get dressed. Go to school, I get out of school and I am tiredish. I go home and sometimes I hangout with my friend till like 5ish or sometimes I just play BF2. I do my homework, have dinner, watch TV or play BF2. Then I go to sleep. As you can see there isn't much physical activity in my day, so I think from now on I will go bike riding after school instead of BF2...I get kicked from every server anyway do to connectivity. ANd mind you, I don't eat fast food, the only junk food I eat is pizza really, which I don't really have that much, maybe once or twice every two or three weeks. I just think we need to exercise more, which I am about to do.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6520|Southeastern USA

Phantom2828 wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

That's one of the problems I'm talking about I use to snowboard and when I started 5 years ago it was like 20 for an all day pass. Now the prices are like 50 for an all day, all the healthy stuff in this country is expensive where it's cheaper to be fat.

Burger=1 dollar
Salad(even though from same ff resturant and still not healthy)= 5 dollars
QFT
this was one of my problems traveling, I was given 20 dollars a day each night I spent out of town cash for food expenses, so I usually stuck to the fruit at the hotel breakfast bars (free), then lunch was usually subway or chicfila (chicken wrap and a fruit bowl, which is very good usually especially since they added strwberries), and dinner was usually salad bar and an appetizer somewhere like ruby tuesday's, this left me enough money to have one or two very nice dinners at some of the various towns I frequented, no sense in traveling a thousand miles in a week and eating at the same places you have at home, I usually hogged out on oysters and fresh fish every chance i got whether it was sushi, fresh shell fish steams in savannah (i mean fresh, the oysters still had mud on them right before they brought them out), cajun crawfish and catfish in mississippi, or stuff like pecan crusted trout when I was in the mountains

edit:damn I just made myself hungry

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-09-11 15:01:54)

liquix
+51|6424|Peoples Republic of Portland
FOOD and our school+lifestyle system. American food is so chemically enhanced we might as well eat plastic disks with the word "food" stamped on them. Our culture is GO GO GO! so many people just work, sleep, work, sleep, etc. Also, our schools are so cut-throat about funding that P.E. and sports take a back seat to Math, Science, and English. Perhaps if no child left behind actually helped we would not raise our children on French fries in the cafeteria, and 5 push-ups once a week in gym class.

EDIT: for the record I'm 5'11'', 165lbs, and I ride a road bike as my only form of transportation. I don't drink alcohol, soda, smoke, fast food, order pizza. But I do bake cookies! I played 3 sports a year in High-school, 2hours of practice, 2 hours of weighlifting every day. To reinforce my lifestyle statement, I go to college now for Industrial Design and I only lift for 1 hour a week

Last edited by liquix (2006-09-11 16:52:09)

jpost8391
+7|6552|chantilly, va

liquix wrote:

FOOD and our school+lifestyle system. American food is so chemically enhanced we might as well eat plastic disks with the word "food" stamped on them. Our culture is GO GO GO! so many people just work, sleep, work, sleep, etc. Also, our schools are so cut-throat about funding that P.E. and sports take a back seat to Math, Science, and English. Perhaps if no child left behind actually helped we would not raise our children on French fries in the cafeteria, and 5 push-ups once a week in gym class.
see they may cut funding to PE/Health/Drivers Ed., and for the record im a sophomore at Westfield High(3400 students or so) in the FCPS system (Fairfax County Public Schools, VA) and i swear all the food not in the vending machine is soy(french fries, hamburgers,etc etc... the only things that arent soy are probally the salad and vegetables). so i usually eat a bag of potato chips and a thing of poptarts and a bottle of soda for lunch but back to my other point about funding, they cut funding for PE and all that for these core subject (english, math, social studies, science) teachers that complain that they dont have the materials they need to teach... which is complete bullcrap because these teachers have enough supplies that if they took the extras they could probally last an office about a month or so, oh and they whine about having old books and they want the newest and best books. but with sports my school has a very strong athletic booster program so theyre never really hurting about money but im sure some of the other schools in the county need money bad to get new equipment and all that fun stuff and in PE well they just dont teach it the right way I mean im in PE every other day for an hour and a half  and probally 20-30 minutes of that is wasted on getting changed, warm-ups and attendance and that leaves about 50 minutes in class to do whatever were planning on doing and usually its something stupid and not true exercise
but usually i get up at 6, take a shower, get dressed, go to school, be bored from 7:25-2:05 and come home and some days ill go out and do something and other days ill sleep and other days ill just sit around playing BF2 and Xbox games all day i probally drink too much soda, eat too much frozen food, not get enough exercise etc etc but i probally woulda played football this fall if it wasnt for my crap work ethic when it comes to homework and me failing algebra I and i dont even think i can play a sport until the spring because its like you have to have grades above a 2.0 GPA for 2 quarters before they let you do any sport(which i think is a stupid rule)and even then id probally need to work on getting in shape now depending on what sport i play/do (baseball, lacrosse,track, or soccer) but yea... if i dont stop now ill just keep on going and going

oh and if you want anymore info theres a wikipedia page on my school http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westfield_ … irginia%29
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6666|NJ
I got told by a beutiful girl I was too skinny last night.. which puts this all into perspictive I'm 6'0' 159 lbs... Now I could probaly use a few pounds but I am the minority in this country..
liquix
+51|6424|Peoples Republic of Portland
My girlfriend said that I was getting too thin once. When I met her I lifted alot and weighed about 192lbs, now im 165! Terrible.
ts-pulsar
+54|6473
I used to have a job that had me driving all over the west coast of the united states, from Seattle to LA.  I noticed that I would see a lot more fat pepople in small cities/large towns than I would in large cities like Seatle or San Fransisco or LA.  I think it's because there are fewer places to exercise in smaller communities.  No parks for jogging or playing sports. 

I could add more, but my lunch break is up and I need to get back to work.
Port_Wildcat24
+0|6636
A double cheeseburger from McDonalds  = $1.00

A healthy choice microwave dinner = $4.00
Mafia47
+27|6711|Chicago

Port_Wildcat24 wrote:

A double cheeseburger from McDonalds  = $1.00

A healthy choice microwave dinner = $4.00
interenet connection = $20 a month

Buying bf2 = $50

Buying your high end super sweet computer to play bf2 = $1500

Membership to most local gyms = $100 per year

also i find it hilarious that everyones putting their height and weight on here like it makes them feel better or something. weight means nothing. You could be 6 feet tall and weight 250 lbs. That sounds like someone overweight to me but it could be muscle. But, even people with lots of strength and muscle can still be overweight. Just because you can squat that 400 lbs doesn't mean your healthy. Case in point Reggie white who died of a heart attack at age 45 i think. If you don't know who that is he was a NFL defensive player who really wasn't overweight.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6540|Portland, OR, USA
I've wondered the same thing all my life.(the topic).  It isn't really that difficult to keep in shape, but it's easy to get fat.  Thats the kind of attitude that most of America has about everything.  There are always a select few that are actually motivated to do things, i dint think its a genetic trait, but more a skill learned through parents.  Fat parents have fat children?  It's a possibility and certainly something to think about when you look at the ridiculous childhood obesity statistics.

I recently got a road bike and i bike around 10-20 miles a day.  It usually takes me about 45 minutes to an hour.  I also used to run 1- 2 miles a day. But exercise isn't the major issue.  I think its more that people eat waaaay too much.  The serving sizes everywhere are ridiculously large.  Go to a Mexican restaurant and bet you they will bring you a plate full of food the size (diameter) of car tire.

I find that many fat/"overweight" people tend to be slackers in other areas in their life too.

We make excuses, especially parents for their kids, "he's big boned", "he's gearing up for a growth spurt"

bull shit your baby's a fatass.

but most of all, its one of those, "because we can" things.. arrogance- the american spirit
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6539|Mountains of NC

maybe we're not as big as they show on tv { trick lenses }

naw j/k americans are getting bigger by the sec and the media loves to show that as much as possible, I think alot of youth have lost their imagination-that will to go out play and burn calories ----- hows the USA going to look in 5-10 years

Last edited by SEREMAKER (2006-09-13 20:48:33)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6548|Florida

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I got told by a beutiful girl I was too skinny last night.. which puts this all into perspictive I'm 6'0' 159 lbs... Now I could probaly use a few pounds but I am the minority in this country..
You remind me of myself when I was in high school.  I weighed 160 lbs and Im 6'3".  Talk about skinny.  Now, Im a bit overweight, by about 10 lbs.  Im 6'2"/6'3" and roughly 214.  Four years ago I weighed 50 lbs less.  I grew up, everyone I know has gained weight since high school.  Partially because my job, being internet tech support I sit on my ass all day.  But since I need to get within USAF weigh requirements, I gotta drop a few pounds and my diet has drastically changed.  I only take in between 1200-1500 calories a day.  May day goes sorta like this

Mon-Thurs
Wake up - eat a small breakfast (pop tarts, power bar, other granola bar)
Go to class - (if i have it)
Go to the gym
Have lunch
Hang out for a bit with my g/f
Go to work for the night

Fri-Sat
Wake up - eat a small breakfast
Go to work at 7 AM
Go to the gym
Spend the rest of the evening with my g/f

Sun
Wake up/breakfast
Go to the gym
Spend the rest of the day with my g/f
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6494|Little blue planet, milky way

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Ok I have a few theories on this.  Being American myself and skinny(6'0" and 165 lbs), it makes me sick when I watch T.V. and walk around town everyone is huge. I'm a minority in our blatenly lazy culter.

So theories,

1. Majority of kids can't leave there house cause they'll get arrested(if they deserve it) or just harrased. I grew up in the Ledgewood area of New Jersey which is a quite town and got harrased almost ever day I went out.

2. Knowledge that someone else is going to protect us so we don't bother staying in shape.

That's all I have now so let me know what you think?
Dude... Newsflash... It's not just Americans... It's EVERYONE. I read somewhere that now HALF the worlds population is overweight (what CONSTITUTES overweight, it didn't say, so we may be talking some poeple who are just half a pound overweight, or people with a bad height/weight ratio).
People have posted this before.

IMO: dont blame mcdonalds, dont blame crime, dotn blame the gun nuts (in fact, I think they're leaner than most beause at least they GO somewhere to shoot their guns).
In fact: blame people. People are downright LAZY as you say. I'ev seen people in vegas driving GOLFCART from their room to the reception ! I'll admidt I use the elevator when there is one, but "rolling sidewalks", come on, how lazy can people get ?
Noone excecies enough, noone eats right (fast food doesn't mean BAD food, btw), and another emerging problem in the world today is that good, healthy food is MORE expensive than suger, fat and animal byproducts (like what you get at KFC, mcdonalds or IHOP). That's not just for "food outlets", but also the case for crocery stores and food markets. Good healthy food is more expensive, so as people get poorer, they also get less nutritional food.
So the poor people can't afford good food, excercise programmes, or even decent sports.
The rich people likes to get waited on hand and foot, so they never move anywhere (remind you of Jabba the Hutt from Star Wars, they do)
And the working class who potentially could afford the food, and aren't so rich that they get lazy, spend too much time on OTHER things than caring about their health. They dont eat right because they need food right away, even microwave dinners can be too slow. In fact I read somewhere that a VERY large percentage of american working class families SKIPPED their vacation last summer to get time for other things (probably work, I would assume).

This is a growing trend, not just in America, though it IS really bad there. It's cause for concern as obesity could potentially kill more people than smoking, guns, car accidents or any other illness in the world.

Obesity is a disease, same as addiction, cancer or anything else... AND IT CAN BE CURED.... The problem is that there are so many people who dont SEE obesity as a problem.

From personal experience I KNOW the fight is a tough one... I need to walk at least 20 miles every week, I barely get in 10.
I need to eat more vitamins and proteins instead of fat, sugar and carbs, but I dont, the sugar and fat are easy to drop, but the carbs... Oh my good, I love those carbs. Mac'n'cheese with low fat cheese is ONE thing.. but mac'n'cheese WITHOUT the maccaroni ? Using spinach, beans and broccoli instead ? That stuff tastes.... Well, ok it doesn't taste bad at all, but It's a lot more work MAKING the food, so I usually dont.
It takes work, preparation and planning to eat that shit. But I can just put a ham in the oven, start up the stove and have a decent meal with some pasta and boiled veggies, and I will be doing loads of other stuff while it's cooking... I do at least THAT much, but it's not enough. And people do a LOT less than me usually !
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6520|Southeastern USA
it is literally possible to become addicted to fast food, and, well, cold turkey is the best way to kick any habit.
Tunacommy
+56|6591|Massachusetts, USA

Superior Mind wrote:

I am 5'6" and about 154 lbs. I am a little overweight. I could loose 10-20 lbs. This is my day: Wake up at 6:15 AM. Do my morning routine, shower, breakfast, get dressed. Go to school, I get out of school and I am tiredish. I go home and sometimes I hangout with my friend till like 5ish or sometimes I just play BF2. I do my homework, have dinner, watch TV or play BF2. Then I go to sleep. As you can see there isn't much physical activity in my day, so I think from now on I will go bike riding after school instead of BF2...I get kicked from every server anyway do to connectivity. ANd mind you, I don't eat fast food, the only junk food I eat is pizza really, which I don't really have that much, maybe once or twice every two or three weeks. I just think we need to exercise more, which I am about to do.
no mandatory sports after school?  When I was in HS, we HAD to play a sport, and practices were 2 or 3 hours per day, depending on the day of the week.  Every school should have that.

edit: so I guess you are in college.

Last edited by Tunacommy (2006-09-14 09:52:24)

SGT.Slayero
+98|6436|Life in a vacuum sucks
Macdonald's   (home of the heart attack)
jpost8391
+7|6552|chantilly, va

Tunacommy wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

no mandatory sports after school?  When I was in HS, we HAD to play a sport, and practices were 2 or 3 hours per day, depending on the day of the week.  Every school should have that.

edit: so I guess you are in college.
no nothing is manatory anymore in school the only thing that you "have" to do is go to school, you dont have to "run" a mile its run/jog/walk a mile
Sone
i piss excellence
+22|6494|Houston (Spring), TX
No results found for manatory.
Did you mean mandatory? Click here

Last edited by Sone (2006-09-14 12:13:31)

jpost8391
+7|6552|chantilly, va
yea... i missed a letter but you know what i mean
Sone
i piss excellence
+22|6494|Houston (Spring), TX
hehe, yea.   i was testing out my new method of making fun of misspellings.  like when you go to dictionary.com and type in a wrong word, it suggests one.
jpost8391
+7|6552|chantilly, va
its a dick way of goin about it
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6672
Fat Is The Ally Of Comunists! Muhahaahahaha!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard