Poll

Does the media cover the 9/11 anniversary to much?

Yes they over do it. 48% 48% - 33 51% 51% - 35
No it Deserves all the coverage. 63% 63% - 43 36% 36% - 25
Total: 68
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6565|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

Gawwad wrote:

Do you know that they get very accurate statistics on which shows people watched?
That is how they know what people like and what they don't.

Probably last year the intrest in this event was huge and that's why it's been on the media so much.
I'm talking about our news and this is how the audiences figures are measured.  Now 5,100 homes out of a possible 25 million (the amount of households in the UK) is not "very accurate"; in fact it's just 0.0002%.  So let's just assume the other 99.9998% are watching the same thing to huh? 

Also, the news is not a programme like Big Brother whereby if it's boring one day you don't watch it the next.  You watch it because it's the news and you just listen to the stories whatever they are.

Tunacommy wrote:

to your point 1: you didn't have to know someone that died directly to sympathize with them/their families.  Seeing people jump out of a burning building falling 300 feet to their death doesn't cause you any sympathy?

to your point 2: the magnatute of this single event is what makes it important to remember - you could argue a cumulative death toll from general terrorism is greater than any single event - but the sheer volume of lives lost in the one event is cause for rememberance.

your point 3: don't you have a holiday for something called the Battle of the Boyne....I think that happened in 1690.....you should stop that.
1)  As I said before, I don't like plastic sympathy.  I never lost anyone so what right do I have for pretending to feel grief struck and that does not mean I am insensitive.  Because I believe you feel you should try and experience how they are feeling which to me seems idiotic as you are just spreading an awful feeling.  I want to get on with my life and let the families grieve in peace; call me selfish if you like.

If I had a time machine I would try to prevent the whole thing but as there is nothing humanly possible I can do I refuse to let myself become unnecessarily down when it serves no purpose.

2) I agree and well put.  We have remembrance Sunday that makes us think about the people that died in the two World Wars and I'm not saying don't remember; I'm just saying let the people who were involved and their families do it it peace. It doesn't need to be so public.  The media coverage only serves to bolster the terrorists' egos in my opinion.

3) I believe your talking about the Orange Men marches on the 12th July.  That is Northern Ireland but then as an American I wouldn't expect you to know the difference; after all, Bush thought Wales was in England (only joshing mate).  But seriously, a better point would have been the Gun Powder Plot and the annual event we have which 'celebrates' the failed bombings of the Houses of Parliament by Guy Fawkes in 1605.  On November 5th every year we have 'Guy Fawkes Night' or 'Bonfire Night' but it is not a day of condolence.  It's a time to watch fireworks and have too much to drink over a barbecue.
Rosse_modest
+76|6790|Antwerp, Flanders
Let's see if I remember what was on the news today...

1. 9/11
2. Trial of an 18 year old who was murdered by her stepmother and stepbrother 2 years ago started today. Both murderers were easily caught. Tried to kill her when she was sleeping, however she managed to send a short sms to her father who was in the Netherlands on a business trip while she was being beaten to death saying her stepmother was killing her.

So no, too much would have been if I could only remember the 9/11 bit.

Last edited by Rosse_modest (2006-09-11 10:48:53)

Tunacommy
+56|6635|Massachusetts, USA

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

1)  As I said before, I don't like plastic sympathy.  I never lost anyone so what right do I have for pretending to feel grief struck and that does not mean I am insensitive.  Because I believe you feel you should try and experience how they are feeling which to me seems idiotic as you are just spreading an awful feeling.  I want to get on with my life and let the families grieve in peace; call me selfish if you like.

If I had a time machine I would try to prevent the whole thing but as there is nothing humanly possible I can do I refuse to let myself become unnecessarily down when it serves no purpose.

2) I agree and well put.  We have remembrance Sunday that makes us think about the people that died in the two World Wars and I'm not saying don't remember; I'm just saying let the people who were involved and their families do it it peace. It doesn't need to be so public.  The media coverage only serves to bolster the terrorists' egos in my opinion.

3) I believe your talking about the Orange Men marches on the 12th July.  That is Northern Ireland but then as an American I wouldn't expect you to know the difference; after all, Bush thought Wales was in England (only joshing mate).  But seriously, a better point would have been the Gun Powder Plot and the annual event we have which 'celebrates' the failed bombings of the Houses of Parliament by Guy Fawkes in 1605.  On November 5th every year we have 'Guy Fawkes Night' or 'Bonfire Night' but it is not a day of condolence.  It's a time to watch fireworks and have too much to drink over a barbecue.
--------------
1) I think we more or less agree here.

2) Not sure why there is so much coverage in other countries - it has nothing to do with you, so I get your point.  Personally, I think the coverage in the U.S. SHOULD be big, especially on the 5 year anniv.  Not to mention, the gov't wants people to remember so they can bolster support for the war in Iraq.....so that side of it irks me.

3) - yah, I did a quick google search and that is all I could find.....didn't really read all of it, but it was old and seemed to be a holiday based on an event that didn't mean much to me....so I used it to bolster my point....don't you guys still "occupy" Norther Ireland?  Or has it been absorbed into the Empire?  We also agree on another thing here.....BUSH is an idiot.  What the hell is Boxing Day BTW!?!?!

To sum....9/11 to most American's is still very frustrating....watching your citizens being burned to death because some a-hole extremist wants to get laid in heaven by virgins has a way of pissing one off.....
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6565|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

Tunacommy wrote:

3) - yah, I did a quick google search and that is all I could find.....didn't really read all of it, but it was old and seemed to be a holiday based on an event that didn't mean much to me....so I used it to bolster my point....don't you guys still "occupy" Norther Ireland?  Or has it been absorbed into the Empire?  We also agree on another thing here.....BUSH is an idiot.  What the hell is Boxing Day BTW!?!?!
Northern Ireland is part of the UK as it was land we won over 800 years ago.  Eventually we granted Southern Ireland their independance and a vot was held over Northern Ireland. 60% voted to stay in the UK otherwise that too would have become a republic.  The trouble came when the people of Southern Ireland and the 40% who lost vote couldn't accpet the democratic vote thus tried to force the hand of the British Government by launching terrorist attacks.  In truth, it would have been easier to grant NI idependance but then we would be turnig our backs on the "loyalists" who want to remain part of the UK. Very complicated really.

Boxing day is the day after Christmas (December 26th).........
Fallschirmjager10
+36|6475

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Yawn. It shouldn't get all the coverage. There are much bigger attrocities that no one remembers. It was bad, but not as bad as it's hyped to have been.

What about the Rwandan genocide? That was much worse - no one televises the anniversary of that. But that's because they are poor people in general and so no one cares about them. How many died in 9/11 - a few thousand, in Rwanda about a million people were massacred, hacked to pieces with machetes - I think that's much worse.

What's the big deal about 9/11?

Just because they were American. Americans are no better than anyone else - everyone in the world has an equal right to life (unless of course they do something really bad, like genocide for example).
I totally agree, I actually find the whole thing disturbing watching on tele' as many of the American people they interview act (understandably I guess) as if it was the worst thing to happen to mankind in history or as if this is the only time terrorism has ever killed anyone.  Even on these forums I've read comments from our friends across the pond that imply that terrorism didn't exist until 11/09/2001.

The sad fact is, Americans (generally speaking) have either been shielded by their media or simply uncaring about past terrorist atrocities as it didn't affect them.

I have no problem with the US media covering the story every year as it was a massive event that happened on their soil, but it does annoy me that we have the same thing here in the UK when you know that the 7th of July bombings got no coverage in the States a year on. 

The only thing I would say is that I truly belive that terrorists are just as interested in getting recognised as they are in killing thousands of people and all this coverage is just helping them and not helping the victims who probably just want to be left to grieve in peace instead of having all the plastic sympathisers telling them 'they know how they must feel'........
blame your tv stations for broadcasting it, and besides a few events, Ameirca hasnt had such a disaster as that, which also destroyed a monumental building, im pretty sure if your queens palace was hit youd broadcast it 365 days of the year.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6483
Too much, it was like this for the past four years. It alrwady happened and the media always makes it seem as if it happens again, plus I think everyone who cares knows already. While I mean no disrepect this is like every April 20th a Columbine or WW2* thing is all over the news.

* the 20th of april was hitler's birthday
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6807

stryyker wrote:

I would like to reiterate something. If 3,000 people died in your country on a single day, you would be mourning and remembering too.
Over 6,000 Americans die each and every day (on average) but I don't see any tributes to them.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6770|United States of America
Like I said in another thread, it needs to be shown over and over. I think it should be shown at least once weekly.  People forget why we are at war, and what was lost on 9/11.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6858|Reykjavík, Iceland.
30 minutes of 9/11 on TV today here...Atleast on the one channel I watched.
N.A.T.O
The People’s Champion
+59|6454|A drop house

PBAsydney wrote:

30 minutes of 9/11 on TV today here...Atleast on the one channel I watched.
In the usa it more like the hole day and 7 befor it.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6505|Menlo Park, CA

aardfrith wrote:

stryyker wrote:

I would like to reiterate something. If 3,000 people died in your country on a single day, you would be mourning and remembering too.
Over 6,000 Americans die each and every day (on average) but I don't see any tributes to them.
6,000 may die a day, but that is all over the country with different death conditions! Not all 6,000 die as a result of some assholes ramming planes into buildings. . .

And generally all those 6,000 get death notices in the paper of some sort called an obituary, which is a tribute, small yes, but a tribute none the less. . . .

Your comparison needs to be re-thought!

9/11 attacks were a major loss of life in a short time! It was an unprecidented attack on our nation. . .

And if it happened in your country, you guys would be having the same rememberance, so shut your fucking mouth. . .
Diray
+13|6476|København, Danmark

Miller wrote:

Like I said in another thread, it needs to be shown over and over. I think it should be shown at least once weekly.  People forget why we are at war, and what was lost on 9/11.
Yes, that is how propaganda works.

Personally, I've seen so much of it that I don't even care anymore. WTC... So what?

Last I checked, my country was NOT at war.
Yes, I know we got soldiers in Iraq - because our premier-minister is Bush's lapdog - but we NEVER declared war on anyone.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6596|SE London

Fallschirmjager10 wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Yawn. It shouldn't get all the coverage. There are much bigger attrocities that no one remembers. It was bad, but not as bad as it's hyped to have been.

What about the Rwandan genocide? That was much worse - no one televises the anniversary of that. But that's because they are poor people in general and so no one cares about them. How many died in 9/11 - a few thousand, in Rwanda about a million people were massacred, hacked to pieces with machetes - I think that's much worse.

What's the big deal about 9/11?

Just because they were American. Americans are no better than anyone else - everyone in the world has an equal right to life (unless of course they do something really bad, like genocide for example).
I totally agree, I actually find the whole thing disturbing watching on tele' as many of the American people they interview act (understandably I guess) as if it was the worst thing to happen to mankind in history or as if this is the only time terrorism has ever killed anyone.  Even on these forums I've read comments from our friends across the pond that imply that terrorism didn't exist until 11/09/2001.

The sad fact is, Americans (generally speaking) have either been shielded by their media or simply uncaring about past terrorist atrocities as it didn't affect them.

I have no problem with the US media covering the story every year as it was a massive event that happened on their soil, but it does annoy me that we have the same thing here in the UK when you know that the 7th of July bombings got no coverage in the States a year on. 

The only thing I would say is that I truly belive that terrorists are just as interested in getting recognised as they are in killing thousands of people and all this coverage is just helping them and not helping the victims who probably just want to be left to grieve in peace instead of having all the plastic sympathisers telling them 'they know how they must feel'........
blame your tv stations for broadcasting it, and besides a few events, Ameirca hasnt had such a disaster as that, which also destroyed a monumental building, im pretty sure if your queens palace was hit youd broadcast it 365 days of the year.
You're really not getting the point, whether there have been any disasters in the US or not the climate of fear is still there. That is what the media manage to create. The war on terror is giving the terrorists all the publicity they need. There should be as little media coverage of terrorist activities as possible.

Miller wrote:

Oh dear. People really aren't getting the fact that all the media attention is what the terrorists want. That's why they attack high profile targets.

Don't get me wrong, it was a very bad event. But going on about it all the time does nothing but promote terrorism.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-09-12 03:33:43)

Tunacommy

Diray wrote:

Miller wrote:

Yes, that is how propaganda works.

Personally, I've seen so much of it that I don't even care anymore. WTC... So what?

Last I checked, my country was NOT at war.
Yes, I know we got soldiers in Iraq - because our premier-minister is Bush's lapdog - but we NEVER declared war on anyone.
So what?!?!?  It does not matter WHERE this happened.  U.S., Denmark, France, China or any other place.....I would never say "So What" to 3000 people being slaughtered in 3 hours.....

You have to be a total a-hole to say that.

Looks like you might have a little taste coming your way :

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7004762792 ..... maybe they will shove a car bomb up YOURS!

Last edited by Tunacommy (2006-09-12 07:48:59)

-Solv3r-
Heia den som vinner!
+115|6572|Oslo, Norway

Diray wrote:

I think it's too much. I'm just plain tired of hearing about it now.
OVERDOSE.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6786|PNW

Solution: ignore media for awhile.
o0flowerfairy0o
+132|6638|England, UK
The people who lost their friends and families on September 11 2001 will remember that day, everyday, for the rest of their lives.  And we moan that it is given too much TV coverage?  I don't think so.

If anything it is not given enough coverage by the media...  I live in England, and the only real coverage it gets is on it's anniversary.

I do not know what it was like for those who lost their loved ones that tragic day five years ago, I cannot begin to imagine how they feel each and everyday, but as a fellow human being I sympathise from the bottom of my heart with every American whose lives got turned upside down.

Fairy...
Rosse_modest
+76|6790|Antwerp, Flanders

Tunacommy wrote:

So what?!?!?  It does not matter WHERE this happened.  U.S., Denmark, France, China or any other place.....I would never say "So What" to 3000 people being slaughtered in 3 hours.....
What about 4 hours? 10 hours? 24 hours? A week? A month? A year? A decade?

At what critical point in time do 3000 deaths become a catastrophy?
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6757|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Tunacommy wrote:

Northern Ireland is part of the UK as it was land we won over 800 years ago.  Eventually we granted Southern Ireland their independance and a vot was held over Northern Ireland. 60% voted to stay in the UK otherwise that too would have become a republic.  The trouble came when the people of Southern Ireland and the 40% who lost vote couldn't accpet the democratic vote thus tried to force the hand of the British Government by launching terrorist attacks.  In truth, it would have been easier to grant NI idependance but then we would be turnig our backs on the "loyalists" who want to remain part of the UK. Very complicated really.

Boxing day is the day after Christmas (December 26th).........
That is quite a stunning summary of the partition in Ireland... lol - where do I even start? well to keep it succinct, people voted for democracy (good firday agreement 1998 - which was voted for on the entire island of Ireland  94% in the Republic 71%  in the North voted in favour). What does it mean? until it is the democratic will of the majoriety of people in N.Ireland to join the republic, then we remain part of the U.K.  - No Guns, all left to the ballot box to decide.

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2006-09-12 10:40:59)

Tunacommy

Rosse_modest wrote:

Tunacommy wrote:

What about 4 hours? 10 hours? 24 hours? A week? A month? A year? A decade?

At what critical point in time do 3000 deaths become a catastrophy?
Hmmm....that is such a thought inspiring question!  I don't know - use your head and figure it out on your own.

Actually, I figured it out....anything within 9.35 hours is a catastrophy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard