elmo1337
Banned
+186|6529|The real world
Well, I got my k/d up to 1.39 with low graphics

Now I have a new pc, run bf2 at 1280×1024, everything high, 6x aa, 130 fps average..

it helps
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6591|Gold coast, Aus.
a good PC doen't MAKE a better gamer, it CAN make a better gamer.

If your a re a good gamer, but have a shitty pc, but then you upgrade, then, your going to perform better.

I have always considered myself a hardcore gamer, but i couldn't kill people as well as i desired.

I then upgraded to 1gb of ram, made it smoother. Could get more kills no lag killing me.

Later, i got a G5 and my mouse never skips

I can say, with complete sure-ness, I am a better gamer since i upgraded.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

When I got an extra 2GB of RAM things didn't change much. My stats have been in a very slow incline for a very long time. I hate getting a new mouse, like learning to frigging play the game again. Annoys me to no end.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
elmo1337
Banned
+186|6529|The real world
What do you think performs better..

This:
https://img50.imageshack.us/img50/3687/pic32523oq9.th.png

Or

This:
https://img93.imageshack.us/img93/1622/screen003xm9.th.jpg

And where would you see more?
DSRTurtle
+56|6656

leftoverkiller wrote:

the only thing i found that really matters is having a CPU that can run the game on 100% draw distance. the rest just adds realism. shadows and other effects. i have seen bf2 on my machine amd 3700 2 gigs corsair xms ram and a xfx 256 6800xt agp video card. then i ve seen it on a friends CPU a amd 3700 2 gigs corsair xms and 2 xfx 256 6800xt running in sli mode. both machines play the game with all settings maxed out with little or no lag at all.  Ive played on both and the sli machine seams to let me line up my shots quicker from the ground and choppers.
if your machine can only run on 70% draw distance you are at a disadvantage to others that are playing at 100%. Ive tested this a karkand with a friend.  i played at 60% and he played at 100%. he was starting at the square and i started at the hotel. he could see me before i could see him.all i saw was fog where he was standing.  but as stated above the best hardware in the world wont help you against a great player. but a great player with the best hardware will dominate the game. both machines were built off of new egg and neither machine broke the bank. the sli machine we build for about $900 and the agp machine we built for about $650. both use high end mobos  CPU memory and video cards n power supply's . nothing was the cheapest parts. all good brands.
Even $900 to $1000 is a lot of money.  I've priced a new system that  would allow me to max out the setting son BF2 for just over a $1000.  I've put about $1200 into my current system from what I paid for it orginially plus upgrading the video card and memory and addding a SB Audigy Card instead of the onboard sound.  I got my newer graphics card about a month after I started playing BF2.

As I use my desktop for work in addition to gaming I'm sure I have things on it that detract from game performance.  But until I can get another Desktop I will make due.  Way back when I was a Sgt my SPM was about 0.5  now it's 1.24 and my KDR was 0.33 now 0.9.  The only major upgrade during that period of time was the addition of memory to go from 512MG to 1.5GB. 

The improvement in my SPM and KDR was not due to changing graphics cards, but changing how I play the game to compensate for the weakness of my computer.  I know my system puts me at disadvantage in long range firfirghts.  To compensate I try to flank the enemy to get in closer to where I can actually see them.  Another thing was blowing up assets on capable enemy bases.  If I died and knew the enemy still had use of the commander toys I would spawn as spec ops to blow them uip.  It's a quick easy 2 points in 20 seconds or so.  And if your lucky the enemy commander will help you by dropping a supply crate so you can rearm and blow up the others repeatedly.  I got 15 pts that way one day before I had my first combat points.  and that was 5 minutes into the round after I joined the game.

Last edited by DSRTurtle (2006-09-06 04:37:15)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

No people hit them more easily.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6443|Kakanien
it is all about the speed of your internet connection (low ping) and a good computer!
DSRTurtle
+56|6656
No it's not.  I've owned guys with high pings and got owned by people with high pings.  Internet connection speed doesn't make that big of a difference.  A lower ping usually means that you will be able to kill them first all other things being equal but not always. 

It comes down to how good you are as a player.  As someone said ealier  A good player on a bad system is still better than a bad player on a good system.
dlbenson1979
Mr. 20,000
+23|6444
I know when I had a crappy card, and then upgraded to a better card I was able to turn up the setting and I could kill alot better.

For me, it was my view when I was zoomed in on the sites...I couldn't see crap on low setting, but now on med/high setting I can pick people off alot easier.

So I say yeah, don't get discouraged if people are kicking your ass...while they still might be better then you, part of the problem could always be the hardware.

Last edited by dlbenson1979 (2006-09-06 08:41:57)

DSRTurtle
+56|6656
Depending on the map the following can help you get better.

1.  Listen to your surroundings.  If listen closely even on crappy soundcards you can hear someone sneaking up behind you.

2.  Teamspeak or Vent or even BF2 VOIP.  Talking to squadmates/Listening to Commander can help.  They may be pointing something out that you can't see but affects you.

3.  Pay attention to the mini map.  A good commander and good teammates will spot enemy soldiers and vehicles that you can't see, but show up on the minimap.  I've gotten a few knife kills this way. 

4.  Pay attention to the UAV on the minimap.  It helps you see what direction the enemy is facing and moving. 

5.  Don't get cconsumed by the mini map it is a tool, but at the same time don't ignore because of 3 and 4.
DVSAZN
+0|6468
With it all said and done at the end... Yes a kick ass computer can help you play better then the next guy as long as you have the skill sets to get it done...
Jbrar
rawr
+86|6512|Winterpeg, Canada
I have a shitty comp, that's all i can say. Settings are a mix of medium/low/off, view distance 100% (always must have that). I've learned to play with the lag, I camp, ALOT. You're more likely to lag up in close quarters, which means ur more likely to get killed. Below is a comparison between me and a few friends. Myself, my friend with a similiar rig but better video card, and another friend with a top of the line rig.

http://bf2s.com/player/45325839/ -me (been playing for 6 months)
http://bf2s.com/player/47855782/ -my friend with an uber graphics card (been playing for over a year)
http://bf2s.com/player/45476732/ -other friend with a sweet as comp. (been playing for about 4 months.
Swimmerxc
+12|6448|DC/VA
i like sniping on low setting for some strang reason.... i did a tally to see which i would get more kills
on everything on high setting and view distance to 100% and resoltion to 1280×1024
i got 35 kills and 19 deaths (no arty death)
and everything on low setting and the view distance to the normal default for low setting
i got 51 kills and 17 deaths (no arty death)
this was all on Wake on a 32 man (although there was only like 20 people playing)
strange but true, it's like i can see the heads better on low setting
Rogue_Delta
+6|6425
yes, absolutely: try engaging CQC when your fps drop to 10~15; or turn the tank's turret to check around while you are capturing a flag with a regular mouse. then try with a gaming mouse at 1600dpi;

just a few examples but BF2 can get real frustrating on a bad computer..
Sa¢ripan
+12|6710|St-Dié/ Lorraine/ France
no because if ur sytem sux u put the settings on low...

my stats were built with a 9600 xt that i just replaced, and i think they're good.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
it maximizes potential. now stfu
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Icleos
+101|6712
I played with 512MB RAM and shitty graphics for about 8 months...  Then upgraded to 1GB RAM.
Even with the crap settings and RAM, I still played and did well in the CAL playoffs.

Last edited by Icleos (2006-09-11 09:15:08)

Burks
+2|6613
I've kicked many a players ass who have a better computer than myself. Having two $300 video cards and a $500 processor can't make up for having shit for aim.
greenhaven
+47|6436

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank wrote:

Good hardware never hurts, but I play on a mediocre machine.  I dont have the money to go and drop $2000 on a computer specifically made for BF2 and higher end games....thats retarded, I have bills to pay.  But, none the less, it all depends on the gamer.  As DSRTurtle said, a good player can overcome the set backs on their machine, making them just as good, if not better than someone with a rediculous rig.  Those types of gamers are the ones to fear, because if they ever do upgrade to a better machine, it will only make their skill twice what it was.

jsnipy wrote:

Not to mention a bigger better system gets you more friends and invited to exclusive events. A higher end systems also give you the perk of discounts where you normally shop. Not to mention you will feel better and look great!
I feel better after I go to the gym, not after I spend all my savings on a new pc.  But thats just me....different priorities and preferences I guess.
First off, 2K for a BF2 computer is ridiclious. My 900$ system gets 99 FPS on High settings.

Last edited by greenhaven (2006-09-11 11:18:51)

the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6665|Vancouver BC Canada
I recently started playing on my laptop (2.16Ghz Core Duo, Nvidia 7600, 2Gb Ram) because I left my SLI desktop (2.6Ghz FX-53, 2x Nvidia 7800GTs, 2Gb Ram) at home when I went off to university. I friggin suck now I think its mostly the keyboard, and quite possibly the laptop screens response time (25ms). I also had to turn the graphics from High to Medium!!!!

BF2 widescreen is pretty awesome though. (1680x1050)

However, being down south I get awesome ping times. I think I'll bring my desktop down at christmas.

Edit: Laptop = $2200 Canadian

Last edited by the_outsider38 (2006-09-11 11:29:52)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
I played Counter-Strike: Source on my brother's AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (BARTON!), 1.5GB of PC2100 RAM and a 9800Pro 128mb..

.. and I was un-freakin'-stoppable.
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6615|Ohio
My computer is the stock dell dimentions 8400.

Thank god im getting a new one
                        VVVV    VVVV    VVVV    VVVV    VVVV
[R.D]ProblemsSolver
+0|6686
Well, better PC makes a huge difference. For. ex. I went to my friends place to play bf2. He plays bf2 on laptop with 2.3 processor 1 GB of ram, 90 gb HD and and a pretty good video card dont remember which exactly.

Anyways, everytime i play on my pc when i am in the chopper gunning 6/10 shots i miss on helis or tanks.  But when i played on his PC i only missed probably 2/10 shots. The game was running so much better and it was way more enjoyable to play.

My computer has: 2.4 Processor, 1GB of ram, really old and crappy video card and only 34GB of ram. So the better PC makes big difference.

PS. I am trying to buy a good video in 100-250 range. Do you guys have any suggestions what should i buy?
thx. -[VT]=-Problem
norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6440

DSRTurtle wrote:

the computer makes a big difference, but a good player can overcome the limitations of there system with teamwork.
to a degree. i get 15 fps on uber low settings on my laptop, and well, its unplayable.  if ur at medium details with 60+ fps ur fine, but that extra 39fps and high details can really make the difference sometimes.  man i miss my computer back home. why are parents so lame they dont let me bring my pc to college....

oh yeah, cuz id flunk out.
Jenkinsbball
Banned
+149|6518|USA bitches!
Yes. I suck, but I still own a bunch of people.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard