Reizors
Ninja's > BF2s
+42|6494|Australia

Kmarion wrote:

WTF-FUBAR wrote:

I myself am curious how he keeps from getting any spyware without software to protact it.
Stop or you will go blind Rosy Palms.
Simple, Mozilla Firefox and half-a-brain.

I don't have anti spyware or anti-virus, they are good, but i don't need it, and i download alot of shit, torrents etc., i just know what is real and fake.
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6665|Vancouver BC Canada
Im running this in my laptop, yes its hot.

Intel Core Duo @ 2.16Ghz
2Gb ram @ 667Mhz
Nvidia Geforece Go 7600 (its underclocked for heat
100Gb 7200RPM HDD

Its bacically the maxed out Compal HEL80

Game test 1:

I can run BF2 with respectable (30+)  FPS on medium to high settings, I left some lighting on low though. Oh yea and that was with a widescreen 1680 by 1050 widescreen resolution. Load times are excellent.

https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/The_Outsider38/screen000.jpg
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/The_Outsider38/screen001.jpg

Game test 2:

I  had tried to run Cellfactor on my desktop w/o a physics card (simply add EnablePhysX=false to the command line)

AMD FX-53 @ 2.6Ghz
2GB ram @ 400mhz
2x Nvidia Geforce Go 7800GT COs
2X 160GB 7200RPM HDDs

But found that the physics engine/bots overloaded the single core cpu. So i did a little experiment, I already knew that the dual core in my lappy could encode video faster, so maybe it could also run Cellfactor with bots. So i tried, and It WORKED, it runs aprox 30 FPS although it dips to about 20 at the most. Definatly playable, its better when bots are off. Multiplayer was awesome for not having the physX card.

I have experienced no CTDs on this machine.

I am extermely pleased with the Core Duo. Im contemplating buying an X2 for my AMD.
fierce
I love [fiSh]
+167|6538
It's not that this topic is about Intel's Core 2 Duo...
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6665|Vancouver BC Canada
Yea i saw that after i posted, heh. Anyhow if they are anything as great as the core duos I give them an A+.
I've never had any probems with Intel processors. My dad was considering buying one for his intel system.

Dual core FTW.
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6524|SoCal
Hats off to the guy who had the balls to post his stats. Someone said that I would believe what you guys posted over a tech page and yes I would, unless your implying your a lier which I can't image anyone doing that.

now take what I am about tell you and try to see it as if you had no doubt it was true then apply it to what you know and see if it makes sense.

first off I am not attacking you core 2 owners, AMD dual core suffers many of the same issues. you see a "great" performance increase in those tests but here you got a person who is probably as honest as he could be when he describes his dual core to his FX52. to him what he see in front of him is all that counts, not what some site or guy who may or may not be getting a kick back and you have no way of fin dining out anyway.

He says his dual is better and he obviously likes it but his FX52 he does not really have much to complain about it. That is the problem and the proof, a dual core, amd or intel or otherwise should smack the shit out of that FX52. sadly, the FX52 could be configured faster by optimizing the software and if that not done to the dual core he might even start thinking the FX was faster, or at least the same.

That is what I have been trying to say all along, first you have XP, which is way over bloated and Dx support is the only reason another OS has not already taken microsoft out of the drivers seat. It is not designed with dual core support to be truly used to its max.

Also why I mentioned the Nvidia chipset they're coming out with, which I never said was for Intel or AMD or both, cause I'm not sure. What I am sure is that a dual northbridge could open the door for a dual channel bus so that each core could send and receive data down their own pathways, making them x3 than a dual core of any kind on a single channel mode as is now, don't believe me, put your memory in a single channel mode and test it then test it in dual channel mode.

same size and speed memory in your own system will be fast in a dual channel mode because 2 gig in single mode, 1st stick transfer data while 2nd is retrieving next block, then 2nd transmits, etc.

Dual mode both sticks are read at once as if it where a single 2 gig stick, everything comes to clock pulses, in 1 clock pulse, the 1st can only transfers 1 gig with the 2nd in the next pulse, the dual sent all 2 gig in the same pulse because it had 2 channels to use.

Making sense? what it all means is that right now since you cannot get the performance you should I don't feel the cost is worth it, but don't think that if they put out a motherboard that had dual channel mode for a dual core based processor tomorrow that I wouldn't get that shit tonight if I could.

Dual core whatever is not that awesome now but by the end of the next or next year. If they are smart about it will be the standard.

Oh to answer a couple of things. Processes:
taskmgr.exe (to view them)
IEXPLORE.EXE(to post it here)
explorer.exe
nvsvc32.exe (not a must but make sure my refresh is to its highest)
spoolsv.exe (printer)
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
system
system Idle Process SYSTEM
svchost.exe (x3 ) (this is for the dll files that are or might need to be share dll's to be used by multiple programs or operations)

Explorer.exe is the biggest hog of the resources but you can end task before running your games or even make a second profile and use msconfig to make it not load. also it is possible to get this down to just 4 but you loose the ability to configure network settings and other things I find I accessed too much to leave shutdown. Think of it like this, you can have a Ferrari but your software drives it like a pinto so it is a very expensive pinto.

Put your favorite nascar driver in the seat and it is a different story.

I don't use anything else but IE, not because it is so good, it actually kinda sucks, but if I can make IE safe and secure on the net then I knew my system is protected, like setting up a 2003 .net server without putting it behind a router. If you can manage that then you know your server was locked up better than fort knox.

Here is a little bit of what I do. 1. must have XP pro, home lacks the security options. 1st remove everybody from any computer policy that grants local authorities or the ability to make core changes in windows except the local admin account, yours and system, then make sure to add every other one to any of the policies thqt deny access.

then next lock down your IE panel, spybot s&d can do it but there is other ways, block all third party cookies and allow 1st and session. after that disable all scripting under your interent settings on the security tab. I then have a special list of trusted sites that only I can add to or remove from and those sites i allow some scripting to run.

the only down site to my setup is that I cannot do any file sharing, or have shared folders on my local network because none of my systems can be seen. Also I cannot do the windows update because of the restrictions I set. There are several services I have disabled, but DO NOT disable RPCS (remote procedure call service) or you cannot load into your computer after the first time you reboot/shutdown anymore.

Someone said prior that the other core was good in managing  background processes, but why should I have to pay my money to provide a 2nd core to run their crap in the background just to be able to play my game without issues. when i do finally get a dual core I expect to have both cores availble for what I want, anything less is unexceptible if my money is invovled.

bottom line, yes I said your dual core of now is not anything special. Yes you think I am nutts, but wait until you finally get a sytem that has dual channels for that dual core and then you'll be impressed and if the software gets optimized to take the most avantage of it, then you'll be amazed.

Here is a debate for you, which you think is gonna perform better a core 2 extreme or one of Nvidias quad SLI video card MoBo's ? For me I'm not sure, depends on how bad the pci-e bandwidth sharing issue will effect the performance, the worst that is the better the odds in the core 2's favor (keep in mind I didn't see if Nvidia ahd a quad option for a core 2) I was trying to imagine spending the cost of 1 7900 series 512 or 1gig card then times by 4 and buy the board and cpu on top of it......ouch.

Never take anyone persons word without questioning it somehow, not an "expert", not me, but never dismis what they say either take it and do your own testing and then deside for yourself. It is at your desk when your playing your game or whatever that really matters, look at W2K bug, they had most every computer fixed, if it even really needed it, before it even turned 2000 and still played on it all the way till the end cause it gave them lots of attention and they knew it would end good. Anybody who upgraded their bois after the first quarter in 1999 had been fixed the min they finished flashing it.

Now come on people and post your benchmark scores, you see you may not have a dual core but your scores aren't going to be horrible if you setup your stuff right. besides what do you want to see, scores from a controlled lab type envioronment or scores from the real world which we all actually play in.

Last tip I have always buy one step back from the newest tech after the new one is released and you will always have plenty of performance and save huge amounts of money.  you've seen the video card you've been thinking of getting suddenly go from $365 down to $187 as soon as the new one is out. Sometimes this is after you paid $365 other times you get to be the one who pays $178 and smile. One the chance to not care about price comes around go nuts then.
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6524|SoCal

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

3d mark 05 hits 9000
What is the hardware you got? hard to know if this is impressive or not without knowing what made the score.

Built this for my buddy on 2/21/06 his score is 10,924 on 3DMark 05:

1   MWAVE HACHIMAN MIDDLE TOWER W/450W ATX POWER SUPPLY 4x5.25" 2x3.5" 3x3.5"(hidden) W/ FRONT I/O CONNECTOR & 120mm CASE FAN x 1
EXTRA 120mm FAN(BLACK)

3817893 - - - -BA20497   1   Discontinued on 6/8---SONY DRU810A 16x8x16x/DVD+RW 16x6x16x/DVD-RW 8x/DVD+-R DL INTERNAL W/SW (Retail) (*Regular $80 - $20 Mwave Instant Discount = $60, While Suplies Last!)
NO ACCESSORIES
NO MEDIA
NO CD CASES
18" UV-BLUE ROUND CABLE

AA32400 -BA15556   1   MITSUMI FA-404 1.44 FLOPPY + 7 IN 1 CARD READER (Black-bare drive)
18" FDD ROUND CABLE

AA13850 - -BA20500 -   1   LITE ON SOHD-16P9/16P1S BLACK 16X-DVD/48X-CDROM INTERNAL EIDE (Bare drive)
NO EXTRA AUDIO CABLE
24" UV-BLUE ROUND CABLE
NO ADD-ON MEDIA

AA36130 - -BA20504   1   WD 160GB 1600JS SATA300 8MB 7200RPM (Bare drive)*Requires SATA Data Cable
NO EXT.SATA ENCLOSURE
0.5m UV-BLUE SATA CABLE

3868348   1   LOGITECH CORDLESS DESKTOP MX 3000 KEYBOARD & LASER MOUSE COMBO USB/PS2 (Retail)     

AA40280   2   Discontinued on 6/21---EVGA 256-P2-N516-RX GEFORCE 7800 GT 256MB PCI-E GDDR3 w/HDTV & VIVO)

3533564   1   LOGITECH X-530 6-PC 5.1 70WATTS SPEAKER SYSTEM VOLUME W/HEADPHONE JACK (Black) (Retail)   

BA21102 -BA21965   1   ENERMAX EG565P-FMA WHISPER II ATX 12V VERSION 2.0 535W UL & FCC POWER SUPPLY FOR ATX CASES (SUPPORT DUAL PCI EXPRESS NEW SLI TECHNOLOGY)

MB-BA21464 -BA22220 -BA22062 -   1   Discontinued on 7/24---AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+ (ADA4400CDBOX) RETAIL BOXED W/1MB X 2 CACHE 90NM (TOLEDO) BUNDLE W/
MSI K8N DIAMOND PLUS
CORSAIR TWINX2048-4000PT
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687
E6600
7900gt
800mhz ddr2 2GB cas 5 g.skill
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

CronicjoeBlunt I want to show you why people are falling in line with Intel now. Whether or not it's all lies is debatable. Reading stuff like what I am posting at every single turn is kind of hard to ignore. That is all I was trying to say.

https://www.stormsurge.us/Store/c2d.jpg
Also +1, you posted some very useful information.

Edit: I guess you wanted our specs .
Well in less than 2 weeks this will be here.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800 2.93GHz 4MB Cache 1066MHz FSB
High-Performance Liquid Cooling (No maintenace)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 x 1024MB
GPU: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2L
Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite High Definition 7.1 Audio with XRAM Technology
DVD ROM: 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive
HD:(RAID 0) - Dual Raptors 300GB (2 x 150GB) Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 10,000 RPM w/ 2 x 16MB Cache
NVIDIA nForce 4 SLI Motherboard
PS:650 Watt  Multi-GPU Approved
Mouse: Logitech G-5
[KeyBoard:G15
Monitor:24 inch Dell Ultrasharp Widescreen

Right now I am running
Processor: Intel Extreme 3.73 @ 4.2 1066 fsb
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Ram (Dual Channel)
GPU: Radeon x1900xtx
Sound Blaster ZS 2
DVD ROM: 16x Dual Layer DVDR/W Drive
HD:1 puny little 120 gig HD 7,200
Abit Fatality Mobo
PS:490
Mouse: Logitech G-5
KeyBoard:G15
Monitor:24 inch Dell Ultrasharp Widescreen

Yes it's an Alienware, go easy on me .
http://static.flickr.com/86/227737244_bc6bd56177_o.jpg

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-08-30 01:04:22)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687
my own personal scores, stable overclock.

https://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5011/conroescorejh4.jpg
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6524|SoCal
Well as I said AMD dual core has the same issues in regards to bus limitations, I am not really jumping behind AMD. I am though saying Nvidia is the shit to have on your MoBo, the best scores from Intel or AMD are coming on the back of a Nvidia. Not too long ago it was Intel chipset for an Intel based system and a Via for a AMD, Now if the word coming down is true and Nvidia is making a dual northbridge chip based board and they are developing a CPU of their own, probably with the plan to run on the new board, Intel and AMD might be in big trouble real soon and Nvidia may end up all we are discussing after that......one thing is for sure, time will give us these answers soon enough, with a big price tag attached I'm sure too
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6524|SoCal

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5011 … orejh4.jpg
I assume that is a 06 score but is there anyway to make the lettering sharper? Or is that the best it can be cause it is posted here and it would be too big to be allowed to post?

Also, Is it a SLI setup or just a single video?

Last edited by CronicjoeBlunt (2006-08-30 01:12:39)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687
i would doubt that nvidia would start making cpus... dualcore chipsets yes, but not cpus
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6524|SoCal

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

i would doubt that nvidia would start making cpus... dualcore chipsets yes, but not cpus
I'm not so sure, only because 3DFx was in the process of developing one along with mobo chipsets which after Nvidia bought them, is how Nvidia got into chipsets and is also were SLI tech came from. So if they already made use of 2 of the 3 things 3DFx was working on, the only reason they woulding on the 3rd is if they didn't think it was profitible, I think that would depend on how far 3DFx got before Nviidia bought them, if there was a working prototype versus still a file on a CAD program for example
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

CronicjoeBlunt wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5011 … orejh4.jpg
I assume that is a 06 score but is there anyway to make the lettering sharper? Or is that the best it can be cause it is posted here and it would be too big to be allowed to post?
If you are using firefox right click on the image and hit view image.
If IE then I guess you would have to actually right click and save the image to be able to see it clearly.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-08-30 01:23:11)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6524|SoCal
Man you know how much performance you could gain if you cleared out some of those processes? I have to say I am surprized you can score that with 72 processes but think what your score could be with just 30, 20 or less? Only other question is how many video cards are in it? If I can catch my buddy at home I will take a screen print of his score which was 6200s and be sure to show you the total processes because that has alot to do with why he got that score. there is things there I'm sure you don't need to have running and to elminate them will free up the resources used by them.
FirePhoenix
+18|6609|hamilton, scotland
I just got my core2duo rig  a week ago and yeah compared to my socket a rig its majorly faster.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

CronicjoeBlunt wrote:

Man you know how much performance you could gain if you cleared out some of those processes? I have to say I am surprized you can score that with 72 processes but think what your score could be with just 30, 20 or less? Only other question is how many video cards are in it? If I can catch my buddy at home I will take a screen print of his score which was 6200s and be sure to show you the total processes because that has alot to do with why he got that score. there is things there I'm sure you don't need to have running and to elminate them will free up the resources used by them.
i know =/ 1 vid card only 7900gt at 525mhz core 725 mem. im too lazy to clear processes... im waiting till vista
rick2k
+0|6617

Towelly wrote:

With a AMD X2 you have to install a updated CPU driver to make things work better, otherwise you get the "There is a problem with your connection" message all the time, maybe we all just need to update our drivers and 1.3 will work.

But yea, I found that Bf2 played no differently, just doing other stuff while playing BF2 didn't slow it down.
Thats untrue.. There is only a problem with bf2 over LAN

For some reason its fine over the net but as soon as you play lan it has connection problems. Drivers or no drivers it still does it.

Just thought i should clear that up after alot of personal experiance with the problem.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687
more scores!

https://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2669/aquamark3hm9.jpg

109k in aquamark3
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6524|SoCal

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

CronicjoeBlunt wrote:

Man you know how much performance you could gain if you cleared out some of those processes? I have to say I am surprised you can score that with 72 processes but think what your score could be with just 30, 20 or less? Only other question is how many video cards are in it? If I can catch my buddy at home I will take a screen print of his score which was 6200s and be sure to show you the total processes because that has allot to do with why he got that score. there is things there I'm sure you don't need to have running and to eliminate them will free up the resources used by them.
i know =/ 1 vid card only 7900gt at 525mhz core 725 mem. im too lazy to clear processes... im waiting till vista
still respectible scores but I wish I could say that the second card will double your scores but unfortunately they will probably not hit double. It is those things why I am not happy with dual core and SLI, I remember my voodoo 2 12 meg sli system and that it made an improvement in all games, written to see it or not, felt like I was getting x2 to x3 performance gains, so I was expecting the same now and it is not which to me frustrates me more cause of one bottleneck, the motherboard, it needs a serious breakthrough in advancement to catch up with the potential of the video and cpu power.

I wonder if they can put 2 cpus into one chip and make quad video sli w/multiple monitors, then why not make a board th qt uses that hardware in a way that would be 2 mobo on one board, then you have what, a dual channel computer then.

So then I guess our sigs would be like " I got a SLI AMD/Intel in dual channel PCs mode & Dual quad video 1/2 terra bytes of hd and 100gig of memory win 5k pro"

and our posts will be like "so I got all this hardware now, why doesn't the virtual leisure suit Larry 3 feel quite like real does? " and :Anybody else get a VD from the hooker in GTA 7 virtcity?" lol

Last edited by CronicjoeBlunt (2006-08-30 10:21:38)

Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6722|Toronto, ON
I would post my score of 9812 3DMark 2006...

But then I would get accused of hacking.
Alpha as fuck.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

You should try a program call wintask. What you do is close down all the processes you don't need like with task mgr but you have the option to make it a preset. You can have up to like 5 different presets. I have a gaming preset and once I boot up and just want to hop into a game I click on that preset tab and voila all my memory is freed. It's just easier the having to go through every time and figure out which is which. It also helps you decide which processes are necessary. When you click on one it gives a little description of what it is used for at the bottom.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA
I just use Freeram xp or something, works ok. 
Also nice chair you got there Kmarion
DecJW
Webhoster
+38|6554
WOO HOO! My core 2 duo is coming today!!!

Too bad the rest of my stuff has to wait until a couple of months...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Maj.Do wrote:

Also nice chair you got there Kmarion
Thx
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard