FLaXCarnage
+1|6786|Florida
How do you guys feel about the Hind and Apache. I think the Hind is to damn bulky and the Apache has to big off a cockpit....but their missiles pwn everything.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6770|AUS, Canberra

FLaXCarnage wrote:

How do you guys feel about the Hind and Apache. I think the Hind is to damn bulky and the Apache has to big off a cockpit....but their missiles pwn everything.
i dont mind them but i prefer to fly the cobra over the two newies.
alf.ha
+5|6740|Berlin/Germany
The missiles are very powerfull but dont fly really straight. But thats easy to handle. My problem is that they have a completely other flying behaviour than the choppers in BF2. You have to be very careful while flying them. I will have to practice a bit till i can fly them without crashing every 3 mins like i did in my first tries. But i will improve this ;-)
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6782|The Hague, Holland
Is it me, or are these choppers Sloooow as hell?
Compared to the Cobra anyways.
Gilgalad
Renaissance Soldier
+2|6777|Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
These helos should make all the DC freaks happy, they overcompensate almost as badly when pivoting. Having n00b pilots was bad enough before, but now having one means you might as well jump out because there is no way you'll ever get a clean shot at anything. Okay then, enough rant, more discussion.

Thier power is definately there, but control is very different from the other BF2 helos. I've heard them described as a "pig" by another player. It slides around, and is more difficult to quickly stop and hold a stable hover with than the original BF2 helos. So far the best adaptation I've seen is for pilots to embrace the sloppy conton to easily circle strafe a target zone. Now this presents difficulties for the gunner to aim accurrately, but is the best use I've seen so far.

Overall, I don't like trading control for power. I don't like the new helos.
Dizazter
Crazy has a mind of its own
+0|6820
From what little I've flown the new choppers, I like them. I think their new offesive power makes more sense, but then their slow speed makes them more vulnerable to AA attack. Its nice too that they're more difficult to fly, so its not like any old joe and jump in it and start tearing ass. Definately more like the DC days.
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6787|Hanging onto the UAV
I gotta agree with the 'pig' term. Very wallowy and the inertia due to their weight means abrupt stops are pretty much out of the question.

The thing with the missiles is that they don't fire in as much of a 'cone' shaped trajectory as the smaller attack choppers. This makes judging hit points as the pilot more tricky.

Undeniably powerful though. And I agree with the fact that these helos are easier to circle points in.
Boomerjinks
+301|6795|Denver, CO
I was disappointed in the look of the choppers. Battlefield is renowned for how realistic and beautiful the vehicles and maps are. The modeling on the US APC is brilliant, looks fantastic. The skin on the F-35 is a work of art.

And then we get these two new choppers that look like a four year-old made them with play-doh. Feh. The Hinds gear doesn't even retract. WHAT IS THAT?? I was also hoping for helicopters with more than just new bodies. As you have all said, the Apache and Hind are pretty much the same (albeit with squirrelier controls) as the Cobra and Havoc.

Damn, why don't we get something that is more....Special Forces-y? The US chopper is not just an average Apache, it's an apache longbow. That means it should have radar. I think it would be spectacular if it had radar that could detect vehicles, giving it an advantage, but not allowing it to hunt down infantry.

As for the Hind, that thing is a freaking tank! I think it would be great if it could carry troops, like the real Hind. Say three in the cargo hold. Then it could be used as a spawn point.

I dunno. Just thoughts.

What do you think?
SlickWRX
+6|6743
Haven't spent much time in the Apache but I did get to spend some time in the Hind.  First time flying it I got like 20 kills on Ghost Town with no deaths.  My gunner got quite a few kills too.  I don't agree about the Hind flying similar to the one in DC.  The Hind in DC was much much more of a pig to handle.  It was very easy to lose altitude in.  The Hind in SF flys more like the Apache flew in DC.  All of the choppers in DC you can get into a hover and take your hands off the controls and they will maintain somewhat of a level hover.  In DC this was absolutely not the case.  The only time you dared take your hands off the controls was if you were landed.
Turtle
+7|6757|Boulder, CO
I'd say they're more like stubborn mules. You have to over-compensate when you try to tilt and rotor spin to make sure you don't hit the ground. They're also slower than the smaller heli's but what they lack in mobility they make for in firepower. With a cobra you have to make a direct hit on infantry to kill with one rocket. But the missiles in the sf choppers seem to have a good deal more dmg and splash dmg. The copilot guns kinda suck tho, seem to be more erratic and less powerful than the cannon on the cobra.
Also, the cockpit is larger and it seems to make it easier to shoot out pilots with mounted mg fire, or anti tank rockets. All in all tho, I like them, it's something new and different.
Beatdown Patrol
+1|6738

Boomerjinks wrote:

I think it would be spectacular if it had radar that could detect vehicles, giving it an advantage...

As for the Hind, that thing is a freaking tank! I think it would be great if it could carry troops, like the real Hind. Say three in the cargo hold. Then it could be used as a spawn point.
...as if Helo's need more of an advantage.  Gimme a break, dewd.  I mean, not to sound like a jerk, but changes like that would just be plain asinine.  That would be like saying,"Hey...I got a great idea, why don't they give all jets tactical nukes?  That would give it an advantage."

- Beatdown
wensleydale8
+81|6769|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire
ive flown a Hind i think they are easy to fly they maynot be as fast but i prefer them to the BF2 choppers.
Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6774|NRW,Germany
I like the behaviour of the Apache and Hind in SF as it´s a little bit of realism brought into the game.

IRL the Hind is supposed to fly low and fast killing everything in it´s path and be gone before someone can start a counterattack.
The Apache is supposed to sneak close to it´s target using the terrain as concealment. When close to it´s target it hovers up, shoots, hovers down and makes it´s way back home using the terrain again.
Mr_Spork
+2|6741
The gunner's seat seems to be lower so please - pilots, remember to point the nose up a little higher than usual or the gunner will start spamming and crying.

Even though they are slower - these choppers are the sex when it comes to flying sideways. This is soo useful on Iron Gate as you can circle and face the carrier at the same time.

For heli vs heli fights, it's a whole new world. Instead of fighting like snakes, you start fighting like a sloth - the choppers don't turn well at high speeds and you end up flying sideways. A good tactic is to try and slow down so you can out-manoeuvre the other heli and eat him up.

Anyway I think these new choppers are more or less perfectly suited for the smaller infantry based SF maps.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard