Evil. I'm not American.18%18% - 58
Total: 317
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6804|USA

GATOR591957 wrote:

lowing wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

I would agree with your statement.  However BushII initiated the "No child left behind"  If you'll recall BushI was the war on drugs.  Both have failed. My point was the president made a point to put money toward education.  He's failed, miserably.  One area where the money is needed is to fund after school programs.  The pressures of two working parents takes it's toll.  These kids need an active learning environment after school, rather than going home to sit in front of an idiot box.  There is money needed for the inner city schools.  Jeez, I could go on and on, but the gist is this, if a President is going to fund a program, he should do so.  I'm wondering what we could do with a month's worth of funding that we are currently spending in Iraq.
This would suggest that education does get its share of tax dollars.

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/c … 052203.asp
These were taken for the school year 2000-2001.  Kind of old facts don't you think?
ok fair enough........"Education: $732. Education spending is primarily a state and local function; 9 percent of the total comes from Washington. Federal education spending has surged 137 percent since the 2001 enactment of the No Child Left Behind Act. Most federal dollars are spent on low-income school districts, special education and college student financial aid."

taken from......... http://www.heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed041406d.cfm

Last edited by lowing (2006-08-22 20:35:37)

GATOR591957
+84|6780

lowing wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

lowing wrote:

This would suggest that education does get its share of tax dollars.

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/c … 052203.asp
These were taken for the school year 2000-2001.  Kind of old facts don't you think?
ok fair enough........"Education: $732. Education spending is primarily a state and local function; 9 percent of the total comes from Washington. Federal education spending has surged 137 percent since the 2001 enactment of the No Child Left Behind Act. Most federal dollars are spent on low-income school districts, special education and college student financial aid."

Here's why I think NCLB is hoax:

1. The massive increase in testing that NCLB will impose on schools will hurt their educational performance, not improve it.

2. The funding for NCLB does not come anywhere near the levels that would be needed to reach even the narrow and dubious goal of producing 100% passing rates on state tests for all students by 2014.

3. The mandate that NCLB imposes on schools to eliminate inequality in test scores among all student groups within 12 years is a mandate that is placed on no other social institution, and reflects the hypocrisy at the heart of the law.

4. The sanctions that NCLB imposes on schools that don't meet its test score targets will hurt poor schools and poor communities most.

5. The transfer and choice provisions of NCLB will create chaos and produce greater inequality within the public system without increasing the capacity of receiving schools to deliver better educational services.

6. These same transfer and choice provisions will not give low-income parents any more control over school bureaucracies than food stamps give them over the supermarkets.

7. The provisions about using scientifically-based instructional practices are neither scientifically valid nor educationally sound and will harmfully impact classrooms in what may be the single most important instructional area, the teaching of reading.

8. The supplemental tutorial provisions of NCLB will channel public funds to private companies for ideological and political reasons, not sound educational ones.

9. NCLB is part of a larger political and ideological effort to privatize social programs, reduce the public sector, and ultimately replace local control of institutions like schools with marketplace reforms that substitute commercial relations between customers for democratic relations between citizens.

10. NCLB moves control over curriculum and instructional issues away from teachers, classrooms, schools and local districts where it should be, and puts it in the hands of state and federal education bureaucracies and politicians. It represents the single biggest assault on local control of schools in the history of federal education policy.

OK, that's ten: But frankly this law is so bad, I needed 11, so here's #11 on my top ten list of reasons why NCLB is a fraud:

11. NCLB includes provisions that try to push prayer, military recruiters, and homophobia into schools while pushing multiculturalism, teacher innovation, and creative curriculum reform out.

Taken from: http://www.rethinkingschools.org/specia … hoax.shtml

I would ask where is the money going, because it is not going to the schools where it was earmarked for.

Another note, the 732 dollars is per household, not per child.

Last edited by GATOR591957 (2006-08-23 12:57:05)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6804|USA

GATOR591957 wrote:

lowing wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

1. The massive increase in testing that NCLB will impose on schools will hurt their educational performance, not improve it.

2. The funding for NCLB does not come anywhere near the levels that would be needed to reach even the narrow and dubious goal of producing 100% passing rates on state tests for all students by 2014.

3. The mandate that NCLB imposes on schools to eliminate inequality in test scores among all student groups within 12 years is a mandate that is placed on no other social institution, and reflects the hypocrisy at the heart of the law.

4. The sanctions that NCLB imposes on schools that don't meet its test score targets will hurt poor schools and poor communities most.

5. The transfer and choice provisions of NCLB will create chaos and produce greater inequality within the public system without increasing the capacity of receiving schools to deliver better educational services.

6. These same transfer and choice provisions will not give low-income parents any more control over school bureaucracies than food stamps give them over the supermarkets.

7. The provisions about using scientifically-based instructional practices are neither scientifically valid nor educationally sound and will harmfully impact classrooms in what may be the single most important instructional area, the teaching of reading.

8. The supplemental tutorial provisions of NCLB will channel public funds to private companies for ideological and political reasons, not sound educational ones.

9. NCLB is part of a larger political and ideological effort to privatize social programs, reduce the public sector, and ultimately replace local control of institutions like schools with marketplace reforms that substitute commercial relations between customers for democratic relations between citizens.

10. NCLB moves control over curriculum and instructional issues away from teachers, classrooms, schools and local districts where it should be, and puts it in the hands of state and federal education bureaucracies and politicians. It represents the single biggest assault on local control of schools in the history of federal education policy.

OK, that's ten: But frankly this law is so bad, I needed 11, so here's #11 on my top ten list of reasons why NCLB is a fraud:

11. NCLB includes provisions that try to push prayer, military recruiters, and homophobia into schools while pushing multiculturalism, teacher innovation, and creative curriculum reform out.

I would ask where is the money going, because it is not going to the schools where it was earmarked for.

Well we obviously could go round and round over this, for me it comes down to 1 thing: And the liberals hate it!!

Personal Responsibility.

Our education system provides classrooms with controlled environments, supplies, teachers. All the the parents have to do is supply a properly raised kid who wants to learn. Instead, the schools get kids that spent the first 5 years of their lives raised like shit. Then the school gets blamed because the kids ACT like shit. The parents are the ultimate responsibility in all of this. It takes more than just a gazillion dollars thrown at a fuckin' education system, it takes a tripod of learning. Teachers who want to teach, kids who want to learn, and parents who support that learning ( instead of using school as a free baby sitting service).
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6804|USA

jonsimon wrote:

lowing wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

Well we obviously could go round and round over this, for me it comes down to 1 thing: And the liberals hate it!!

Personal Responsibility.

Our education system provides classrooms with controlled environments, supplies, teachers. All the the parents have to do is supply a properly raised kid who wants to learn. Instead, the schools get kids that spent the first 5 years of their lives raised like shit. Then the school gets blamed because the kids ACT like shit. The parents are the ultimate responsibility in all of this. It takes more than just a gazillion dollars thrown at a fuckin' education system, it takes a tripod of learning. Teachers who want to teach, kids who want to learn, and parents who support that learning ( instead of using school as a free baby sitting service).
What does that have to do with NCLB? And why would liberals hate personal responsibility?

I think you may have just dodged this good man's argument. :\
Not hardly. I said we could go round in circles on this. I merely am stating that when you cut away all the fat, the root problem is personal responsibility and parenting.

As far as my comment about liberals: you want to blame everthing on every one else, you refuse to take responsiibilty for your own actions. read my other posts I am not going to re type it. All opininion of course based on people like you and your posts and daily observations and life experience.
Hellfire(Fish)
Your Favorite Whiny Liberal
+8|6658|Alabama, United States
Why are you changing the subject from the NCLB act to the responsibility of parents to their kids?
Yes parents are where the REAL responsibility lies, but the public doesn't pay money to parents to teach children do they?
If you are saying parents should instead PAY for their children's education this would put the real responsibility where it should be, but would put us a step back in time now wouldn't it?
Otherwise, I'd say that the only problem the government can really handle is how well funds are spent toward education and how well schools educate.
They can't control how good students are at learning, whether they want to learn, etc.
This doesn't leave them with a large portion of the responsibilty here.
That's why when they screw up the stuff they ARE in control of, it makes them look pretty bad.

Oh, and the educational system in my state BARELY supplies anything.
Our educational funds are ear-marked so bad we can afford new buses and buildings every couple years, but teachers have to pay out of their pocket for simple school supplies that the school budget can't cover every year.
Not to mention we have been on a system wide pro-rationing for almost 4 years now.
Meaning we have had cuts in academic and after school programs. (excluding ALL sports.)
This left my high school with some poor class choices my senior year, something I found VERY unsatisfying when I was trying to take a variety of classes to really choose a good major in college.

Last edited by Hellfire(Fish) (2006-08-24 21:34:13)

The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6653|Los Angeles

lowing wrote:

Personal Responsibility.

I agree with you almost 100%, lowing.

The sole caveat I would add to complicate this view is that a lot of inner-city schools are underfunded to the point of physically falling apart, not enough books to go round, high school band departments with 4 working instruments, etc. That's an issue. So even if you are a motivated student, in that sort of an environment it's difficult to succeed.

Meanwhile, public schools in rich suburbs have "cardio rooms" and treadmills with LCD televisions.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6837|West Yorkshire, U.K
who cares lol
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6804|USA

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

lowing wrote:

Personal Responsibility.

I agree with you almost 100%, lowing.

The sole caveat I would add to complicate this view is that a lot of inner-city schools are underfunded to the point of physically falling apart, not enough books to go round, high school band departments with 4 working instruments, etc. That's an issue. So even if you are a motivated student, in that sort of an environment it's difficult to succeed.

Meanwhile, public schools in rich suburbs have "cardio rooms" and treadmills with LCD televisions.
Any chance that those schools are falling apart, because of who is destroying them?? Personal Responsibility stretches into your community as well. When the cops try and come into these neighborhoods to try and arrest suspects or investigate a crime, they get treated like the enemy and have nothing but hostility shown toward them. Then everyone wonders why I cop gets edgy in these neighborhoods.

I used to live in Detroit, and every year the inner city communities would all get set ablaze on "Devils Night"  ( October 30th). Then all you would hear is bitching "about how the white man is keeping me down".
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6910|Argentina

lowing wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

lowing wrote:

Personal Responsibility.

Oh, Lowing, Lowing.  Kids never want to learn, kids want to skate, or to thorw a rock to birds, don't you get that?  The government responsibility is giving funds to schools so teachers are well prepared and they have all they need to educate those kids in the proper way with the proper stuff.  The personal responsibility you talk relays in the parents, who must encourage kids to study.  But, the government has complete responsibility in the quality of education.  What do you expect a kid to learn if the teacher who is educating him earns 22k a year?  The three more important issues in a country if you want to grow are education, health and justice
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6804|USA

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

Personal Responsibility.

Oh, Lowing, Lowing.  Kids never want to learn, kids want to skate, or to thorw a rock to birds, don't you get that?  The government responsibility is giving funds to schools so teachers are well prepared and they have all they need to educate those kids in the proper way with the proper stuff.  The personal responsibility you talk relays in the parents, who must encourage kids to study.  But, the government has complete responsibility in the quality of education.  What do you expect a kid to learn if the teacher who is educating him earns 22k a year?  The three more important issues in a country if you want to grow are education, health and justice
Ya might not have read my post earlier when I said it takes 3 for successful education

1. teachers who want to teach

2. kids who want to learn

3. Parents who will support that learning.

Bottom line.........Blame irresponsible parents and irresponsible kids for their lack of education. The schools are there, the teachers are there, the books are there.... GOOD KIDS AND PARENTS are not.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6806

lowing wrote:

Bottom line.........Blame irresponsible parents and irresponsible kids for their lack of education. The schools are there, the teachers are there, the books are there.... GOOD KIDS AND PARENTS are not.
And how do people become less irresponsible?  The first step is often a good e_______n, which will teach them responsibility.  (fill in the blank)

So perhaps spending money on educating adults is just as important as not leaving any child behind... you've just said spending on the children doesn't achieve as much when they have poorly educated parents, perhaps (*gasp*) affordable adult education and incentives for companies which encourage low income staff to study may help to break the cycle.  Of course, there's always the problem of who's going to do the shitty work once everyone has a decent education...
jonsimon
+224|6648
lol Wow, I took a good minute to figure out what fit in the blanks nuttah.
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6653|Los Angeles

lowing wrote:

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

Any chance that those schools are falling apart, because of who is destroying them??
You know lowing,I thought maybe a different approach with you might set up room for a dialogue rather than the kind of trench warfare bullshit that we've had before. I found somewhere to agree with you. Yet it seems you're unable to even acknowledge any view on anything that is not perfectly in alignment with yours.

You actually have some good points sometimes, but you never fail to sound condescending. I'm not saying I haven't contributed my fair share of insults, but I also don't think my worldview is infalliable.

Is it that you don't want to appear weak in some way? Or just that you are rarely ever incorrect, and no one else really gets it?

Why do you post on these forums? What is your purpose, and what do you get out of it?

I'm not asking loaded questions, I'm sincerely curious to know what you have to say.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6734|SE London

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

lowing wrote:

And how do people become less irresponsible?  The first step is often a good e_______n, which will teach them responsibility.  (fill in the blank)

So perhaps spending money on educating adults is just as important as not leaving any child behind... you've just said spending on the children doesn't achieve as much when they have poorly educated parents, perhaps (*gasp*) affordable adult education and incentives for companies which encourage low income staff to study may help to break the cycle.  Of course, there's always the problem of who's going to do the shitty work once everyone has a decent education...
What d'you think immigrants are for? lol
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6804|USA

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

lowing wrote:

No unorginalnuttah, the tools are in place for "adults" to e----------cate themselves if they choose to. Again it is called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!!......Sucks don't it??
jonsimon
+224|6648

lowing wrote:

UnOriginalNuttah wrote:

lowing wrote:

No unorginalnuttah, the tools are in place for "adults" to e----------cate themselves if they choose to. Again it is called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!!......Sucks don't it??
Uh, an education for anyone over the age of 21 costs money in America.
Dersmikner
+147|6651|Texas
You know, the more I think about it, it's funny that a bunch of people who are worth only some small fraction of what Bush is worth, and who have accomplished only a VERY small fraction of what he has, are sitting aroung talking shit about him, when we are nothing but the worker bees that keep his hive running.

Who gives a shit what we think? If I were the President I'd lay back in my bed in the WHITE HOUSE, stare up at the ceiling, and just once say "I am the most POWERFUL FUCKING MAN ON THIS PLANET. ALL others pale in significance before me."

Whether he won it, stole it, or bought it, George Bush is the most powerful man on this planet and can lead the world's only remaining Super Power into a war on the other side of this little rock, and if you aren't fighting in it all you can do is watch it on TV and complain.

You may think he's a tool, a moron, a crook, a pawn, or whatever, but the truth is that he has his hands on nukes, and you have your hands on a joystick.

He has summitted Everest. He is the leader of the Free World. He shapes the future, and odds are very good that you are insignificant. I know I probably am...
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6804|USA

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

lowing wrote:

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

Any chance that those schools are falling apart, because of who is destroying them??
You know lowing,I thought maybe a different approach with you might set up room for a dialogue rather than the kind of trench warfare bullshit that we've had before. I found somewhere to agree with you. Yet it seems you're unable to even acknowledge any view on anything that is not perfectly in alignment with yours.

You actually have some good points sometimes, but you never fail to sound condescending. I'm not saying I haven't contributed my fair share of insults, but I also don't think my worldview is infalliable.

Is it that you don't want to appear weak in some way? Or just that you are rarely ever incorrect, and no one else really gets it?

Why do you post on these forums? What is your purpose, and what do you get out of it?

I'm not asking loaded questions, I'm sincerely curious to know what you have to say.
Well some of it is that I like to debate, I think it keeps the mind on its toes, also, it forces us all to look up shit and research shit to try and re-enforce our view points. I also like the challenge of trying to convince someone to change their mind ( although it hardly ever happens, if even then). I also spend a lot of time on the PC doing work or reading the news, I am a news junk and I like to try and keep up on current events.

As far as my being condescending, some of the time I mean my post to be taken as such. Sometimes I loose my cool. Most of the time I am the recipient of such behavior, but it is all part of the game, I guess. I take no offense nor do I take any of this personally. I will also admit that is the only place that I have ever posted, and "debate and serious talk" is really the only place I read. A few exceptions of course. It is somewhat addictive I admit, guess I am lucky I don't have "My Space", huh??

You accuse me of "never being incorrect" well the truth is, how often are any of us incorrect??

As a conservative, I tote the banner of "personal responsibility". I believe it. It isn't just some "bullshit" I like to say. As a matter of fact I also live it and teach it to my sons. We all have to play the hands we are dealt in life and if you have 4 arms and 4 legs and a sharp mind,  you have no excuse to be in poverty or on welfare, in this country. Someone's failings in life are not "BUSHS fault" and I am sick of everyone shunning their responsibilities to themselves or their families on the govt.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6898

I don't even want to weigh in on this because my Ignorance Meter is off the charts. I will say that if you think America is great, especially because of Cheney/Rumsfeld/Bush (in order of moral bankruptcy), then you need to A) read B) read more and C) read even more. The people in America are often no different than in other countries; however, your policy leaders are certainly shifting from dark grey to black.

Reading is important, but try to choose unbiased sources. A good start from a respected, intelligent, and NEUTRAL author is Noam Chomsky. Start off with Failed States - you can try Hegemony of Survival but its a bit drier then Failed States.

Chomsky will admit when a policy decision follows historical precident (e.g. balance of power, protection/security etc.) even though that policy may be SOCIALLY uncomfortable - we have to face that decisions in grey areas happen all the time, and that given a limited resource base, someone has to win and someone has to loose because what society is going to say OK lets split it all evenly etc. At the same time he will point to facts that these decisions cause- such as the administration's (not just Bush's) War on Terror, and the 70% factual increase in terrorism it has caused.

What you want is to read sources that are objective and not tainted. There are many many books out there to read and much news media to filter through - I highly suggest staying away from any of the American news channels. They are so flagrantly tainted now that the Daily Show and The Colbert Report don't even have to work to make fun of how sick it is anymore - they practically hand it over on a platter to be made fun of.

You could watch some of these episodes that I have found informative:

Plea Bargain:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline … plea/view/

Dangerous Workplace:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline … lace/view/
Walmart:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline … mart/view/

Bush part 1:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline … iraq/view/
Part 2:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline … ruth/view/
Rumsfeld (Very good):
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline … agon/view/
Cheney (Extremely Good):
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/darkside/view/
Karl Rove:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline … tect/view/
China:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/tankman/view/

Missile Defense:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline … sile/view/

Drug Safety:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline … tion/view/

I've read so many books, watched and filtered through news media, and watched as much as I can find about America because I am considering moving there (this September in fact) to be there with my fiancee...and I want to know as much as possible. At any rate the latest objective books I've read, were Chomsky's but I've been reading for years now from so many sources I can't even remember what the hell I've read anymore. Try to stay away from the obvious positive or negative taint and remember that just because he is your President does not mean you should support him without criticism. If people rule without checks on their authority then you have totalitarian rule, and you don't have to go very far back in history to see how much fun that is (unless your ruling).

Finally, you asked for our comments, so if you (NOT the OP but anyone talking here) are going to argue, at least have a decent education to back up what you have to say. Flaming ignorance is just that - if you don't approach an issue objectively before you come to a decision, then you aren't worth talking to!

Edit: Oh yea, one thing - it is not like all Americans are ignorant or anything - most people have very reasonable outlooks and I've been to the US enough to know that most are genuine nice people. There are many problems with the way your specific society functions though, and you have to be an ignorant son of a ____ not to admit that and go rah rah americahhhh!

Your policy leaders and businesses/corporations (who are in bed together) sadly have the most swing when it comes to SOCIAL accountability and this is an obvious conflict of interest - hence when so ludicrously unchecked as it is in the States you get a whole lot of sick shit happening. Other countries don't neccesarily hate americans (exceptions I am sure) - but they hate your corporations and administrations that represent you internationally and basically use the world like a doormat. "Not our problem" is an often used quote which describes how these people think (even if their kids are growing up in a shitty society they just don't care). People were greedy 2000 years ago, and they still are now, it is not really suprising, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't complain about it!

Last edited by [CANADA]_Zenmaster (2006-08-25 18:45:37)

The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6653|Los Angeles

lowing wrote:

You accuse me of "never being incorrect" well the truth is, how often are any of us incorrect??
Maybe we should let our wives/girlfriends answer that one for us.

lowing wrote:

As a conservative, I tote the banner of "personal responsibility". I believe it. It isn't just some "bullshit" I like to say. As a matter of fact I also live it and teach it to my sons. We all have to play the hands we are dealt in life and if you have 4 arms and 4 legs and a sharp mind,  you have no excuse to be in poverty or on welfare, in this country. Someone's failings in life are not "BUSHS fault" and I am sick of everyone shunning their responsibilities to themselves or their families on the govt.
I agree with you, as would plenty of people who are relatively left-leaning, about personal responsibility. I doubt there are many people (aside from those abusing the system) who actually believe that the government bears full reponsibility for the happiness of its citizens. Personally I have never heard criticism of Bush that blames him for people's "failigs in life". The criticisms seem to be about his general incompetence.

lowing wrote:

if you have 4 arms and 4 legs and a sharp mind,  you have no excuse to be in poverty or on welfare
Indeed. Such a person would likely become the world's greatest drummer.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6804|USA

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

lowing wrote:

Maybe we should let our wives/girlfriends answer that one for us.

lowing wrote:

I agree with you, as would plenty of people who are relatively left-leaning, about personal responsibility. I doubt there are many people (aside from those abusing the system) who actually believe that the government bears full reponsibility for the happiness of its citizens. Personally I have never heard criticism of Bush that blames him for people's "failigs in life". The criticisms seem to be about his general incompeten

lowing wrote:

if you have 4 arms and 4 legs and a sharp mind,  you have no excuse to be in poverty or on welfare
Indeed. Such a person would likely become the world's greatest drummer.
oops, I guess my post lost a little thunder with the 4 arms and 4 legs quote huh? LOL sorry. What is really sad is I proof read it twice...oh well

glad to see we can agree on something on here, a major break through in world peace I think.

Last edited by lowing (2006-08-26 09:35:51)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard