-MIKI3.
+70|6643|The Netherlands
hi, I recently bought a 7900GT, but now my bf2 has massive lag , even with around 70-80 FPS

With my old VGA Club3D GF 6600 256MB DVI TV-out PCI-E I didn't get any lag at all with these settings:

DISPLAY MODE                1024x768@75Hz
CUSTOM QUALITY            CUSTOM

TERRAIN                         LOW
EFFECTS                         MEDIUM
GEOMETRY                      HIGH
TEXTURE                         MEDIUM
LIGHTING                        MEDIUM
DYNAMIC SHADOWS        LOW
DYNAMIC LIGHT              LOW
ANTI-ALIASING               OFF
TEXTURE FILTERING        MEDIUM
VIEW DISTANCE SCALE   100%

Now with my 7900GT and these setting I get 40-90 FPS and lag all the time especially the first 5 minutes

DISPLAY MODE                1024x768@75Hz
CUSTOM QUALITY            CUSTOM

TERRAIN                         MEDIUM
EFFECTS                         MEDIUM
GEOMETRY                      HIGH
TEXTURE                         HIGH
LIGHTING                        MEDIUM
DYNAMIC SHADOWS        MEDIUM
DYNAMIC LIGHT              MEDIUM
ANTI-ALIASING               2x
TEXTURE FILTERING        MEDIUM
VIEW DISTANCE SCALE   100%

So I figured something was wrong anybody who can help me?

oh btw.

Motherboard AMD Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe S939 Nforce4
Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+ S939 box Venince @ 2,3 Ghz
2x 512 MB DDR-RAM PC3200/DDR400
Maxtor 200GB Diamondmax 10 ATA/133 7200rpm 8MB

thnx ,

Last edited by -MIKI3. (2006-08-21 09:59:36)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6747|The United Center
RAM.  You need more RAM.
Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6757
omg, BUY RAM.

if you go buy 2x1gig sticks of ram, it will increase your game performance more than ANY video card you could buy.
tbcBeasT
tall lazy sod
+14|6636|Bristol, England
i have 1 gb of ram and can run the game fine on high-med settings
calamity
+1|6644|Canada eh? where that weed at
hmmm, i run everything on medium with 2 higher res settings at 60h with 2x anti on my 6800gsoc, i get a little lag but have narrowed it down to my hd, ram will most likely help
jsnipy
+3,276|6522|...

I have a GB of video ram and it runs fine ;P
Intheshadows
+5|6544
I have a 7900GT and with everything on high I run 100+ average FPS @ 1280x1024 full 64 man server

Full system:

AMD Athlon64 3700+ o/c'ed to 2.6 @ 1.5v
2 Gigs DDR RAM @ 2-3-3-5 1.7v
7900GT o/c'ed to 665 core / 1800 Memory volt modded 1.45v, watercooled
100 GB Maxtor boot drive, 200 GB Maxtor backup
550W Dynex PSU
SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6716|USA
I have the exact same card and have absolutley no problems at all.

System Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
4 Gigs DDR RAM
EVGA NiVidia 7900GT GPU
Sound Card: REALTEK HD 7.1
250 GB Seagate Baracuda Hard Drive
300 GB Seagate Backup Drive
Roswell ATX V2.01 SATA 500w Power supply
0akleaves
+183|6613|Newcastle UK
try lowering your texture setting.
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

when you replaced your card, did you delete all video drivers and installed the proper ones afterwards (yes, even though they are both nvidia cards)? if not use driver cleaner to get rid of everything and reinstall the corresponding forceware drivers.

lag towards the beginning of the round sounds like pagefile access. i agree that 1 gig of ram is not enough to run bf2 @ high settings. check your mem usage during gaming (using the task manager is probebely easyest). does it peak to the max value (1 gig)? if you are accessing your hd for a long time (look at the hd inidcator) after you have joined the game, you are writing/reading from the pagefile. this is a performance killer. especially textures and terrain take up a lot of ram. try lowering the settings to see if the problem continues and possibly think about buying 2 gigs o' ram

CPU wise everything looks ok. i sometimes run bf2 @ 2.0Ghz and still get my 100+ fps with no lag

hd is ok too (try defraging once in a while)

sometimes my isp goes whacko and i lag very bad (huge ping). do you also get this problem in single player?
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6570|Portland, OR, USA

Evil-fruits|ST4R wrote:

no... its a 7900 gt.. lol

you have one gb of ram, 1.5 gbs is recommended, you need 2 gigs, that is your problem

you should be having no trouble with this card (heh if you got a good one) i'm playing at 90ish fps at 1600 x 1200
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6805|Portland, OR, USA

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Evil-fruits|ST4R wrote:

So? Textures have next to nothing to do with the video card, only system RAM. To run high textures in BF2, you need 1.5 - 2 gigs of RAM, period (as you said).
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6639|Montreal, Qc, Canada
7900 GT and 1 GB of ram ... is no good, with 1 GB more you will be allright 100% sure.
Git.R.Don3
+2|6502

Nagarond.Damminson wrote:

omg, BUY RAM.

if you go buy 2x1gig sticks of ram, it will increase your game performance more than ANY video card you could buy.
-MIKI3.
+70|6643|The Netherlands
ok, so I'm getting another 1GB but a few questions:

1. Can my CPU handle 4x 512 MB at normal speed (400MHz)?
2. Is this possible:
       2x 512 MB
       1x 1024 MB

thnx ,

Last edited by -MIKI3. (2006-08-22 09:40:51)

']['error
Banned
+630|6644|The Netherlands
i have an 7900gt to, and tomorrow i will be getting my 2nd gig of ram
hmmmm i think my eyes will hurt when everything is maxed out
tehz
<3 Bosnia
+11|6500|gulf of oman
with that motherboard you will likely have to manually set your memory timings in the bios if you use 4 sticks of ram. letting the motherboard auto set the ram will cause it to clock down to ddr333 from ddr400.
make sure the ram sticks are all the same. set the timing and volts according to the ram manufacturer's specs.
tehz
<3 Bosnia
+11|6500|gulf of oman

-MIKI3. wrote:

ok, so I'm getting another 1GB but a few questions:

1. Can my CPU handle 4x 512 MB at normal speed (400MHz)?
2. Is this possible:
       2x 512 MB
       1x 1024 MB

thnx ,
1)yes, see above post

2) that won't run in dual channel mode
yuckfou09
hide your terrorists ^,^
+94|6677|Ft. Drum, NY
ok so i have the solution. Your card has faulty ram. call evga they'll tell you. I have the 7900 gt ko superclocked and the first one i had was shit. the card would show little purple spots on iron gator and i had to put all the settings on low for them to go away. Submit an rma to evga and they will send you a new card(take a month). My second card is the best. everything on high and i have 2 gb of ram.
Mr.Warner
+20|6643
Hello -MIKI3.

It is good that you are getting more memory, it will keep the game from paging the hell out of itself feeding that beast video card all the textures that it wants. . .   With regards to your memory configuration, there are really no issues with any configuration that you can possibly do; the machine will run, but not as best as it could.  Your memory will slow down to whatever point it has to to so that it can use all of the RAM that it has.  Least common denominator sort of thing.  To avoid this painful hit to your hard earned investment toward BF2 Ass Kicking keep a few rules in mind when you buy your memory.  I WOULD NOT DO THE CONFIG THAT YOU HAVE LISTED ABOVE!!!  I think you will regret it, you can disagree with me if you like, but please give my post it's due attention.

Memory is all about timing and speed.  2GB will not be much better if it takes forever to fill up all 2GB.  The memory bus is not that smart, it only can do one thing at a time, and at one speed.  Bits will be saved to ram as specific speeds governed by the speed (400MHz) at specific timing sequences (4-4-4-12).  The first is the speed at which you can dump bits to RAM (depending on the ability of the RAM) and the second is the amount of time it takes to move that saved data within the memory module.

Memory fills up and empties in order, one dim then the next, one bit, then the next.  Repeat when at the end.  It dose this the fastest when there are matched pairs of memory modules.  "MATCHED PAIRS" being the key words here.  If you install a config that has multiple manufactures, and multiple sizes your speeds will be greatly affected, as the memory bus will slow down everything to the slowest common denominator.  For example if your 2x512MB memory has a timing of 5-5-5-15 and your new 1GB stick has a timing of 4-4-4-12, under heavy load your timing could become as bad as 20-20-20-15.  That sucks hard core!!!

What this means for you is that you should, depending on your petty cash and the price of the memory that you have:

A)  Find the exact same memory that you currently have (2x512MB) from the same company with the same timing / model number and install that into your other 2 slots.  NewEgg.com has tons of stuff available for under 100 dollars, but you may have trouble finding the thing printed on that sticker on the side of your memory.

- the alternative would be -

B) Buy a matched pair of 1024MB sticks (or better yet 2 matched pairs) and sell your 512's.  It may be cheaper to do this because your 512's could actually cost more because of their age.  One gets you 2GB and two gets your 4GB.

Either of these options would work, but please don't buy the 1GB stick to add to your current memory.  Bad idea, and not worth your investment.

Good luck, I know you will make the right decision.

P.S. Your processor is AMD, and AMD procs. are their own memory manager, it is cool because it is much faster than the external memory managers that you get with Intel procs.  But an AMD is only able to manage 8 Gigs of Ram per core.  Dual Core gets you up to 16GB of ram.  So the moral here is don't buy more than 8GB of ram, not that you would, but just in case you get greedy.  I bet your MB would not even know what do do with it.

These rules worked great with my 2x7900GT's

-AMD Opteron Dual Core 2.6 Socet 940 (280)
-8GB (4x2GB) DDR400 Registered (has to be registered with Socet 940)
-Foxconn NFPIK8AA-8EKRS Motherboard SLi (I got it because of the SLi)
-2 Nvidia GeFore 7900GT SuperClock in an SLi config
-HighPoint RocketRAID 2310 PCI Express x4 SATA II Controller Card
-5 Seagate 300GB SATA drives running in a 1.2TB RaidSet
-WindowsXP Pro x64
yuckfou09
hide your terrorists ^,^
+94|6677|Ft. Drum, NY
^
who the f*ck writes this much----------------
yuckfou09
hide your terrorists ^,^
+94|6677|Ft. Drum, NY

Mr.Warner wrote:

yuckfou09, your nuts.  If he were seeing little green dots on his screen yes, that would be the case, but he his seeing crappy preformance in game.  Read!

--
Mr.Warner
hey d!ck, i had the same problem just letting him know what i did and it fixed it........b!tch
oh and it was purple dots  please read. pwnt

Last edited by yuckfou09 (2006-08-22 11:06:23)

-MIKI3.
+70|6643|The Netherlands
@Mr.Warner

WOW, THANKS! That really helped me

ps. are these good:

http://www.cdromland.nl/?siteOption=pro … num=351004
tehz
<3 Bosnia
+11|6500|gulf of oman

-MIKI3. wrote:

@Mr.Warner

WOW, THANKS! That really helped me

ps. are these good:

http://www.cdromland.nl/?siteOption=pro … num=351004
that wont work in your motherboard.

but something like this would
Vintageologist
Tankbuster
+31|6758|Vienna, Austria

Viper007Bond wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Evil-fruits|ST4R wrote:

So? Textures have next to nothing to do with the video card, only system RAM. To run high textures in BF2, you need 1.5 - 2 gigs of RAM, period (as you said).
Word.
You need more RAM, this is where the textures are put in, because if you don't have enough, some of the crap has to be put into the pagefile and swapped into the RAM again when needed -> lag. Get more RAM, ignore everything else that might have been said. I know what I'm talking about... really.

Edit: Oh well you already got it anyway... good

Last edited by Vintageologist (2006-08-22 16:33:47)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard