mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6786|d
I was reading today how time travel is theoretically possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_travel

very interring stuff, so i wanted to know other interesting theories that other people know off.

None of that conspiracy crap please.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6604|SE London

Interesting.

I'm a big fan of physics stuff and read a LOT of books on the subject I had fogotten the Hawking quote, which I do really like and agree with : "a time machine will be built someday, but has not yet been built, so the tourists from the future cannot reach this far back in time."

Cheers for reminding me of that.

If you're interested in this sort of stuff I recommend reading into some of this stuff. 'A Brief History of Time' by Hawking is quite a nice simple introduction to all this sort of stuff, 'The Elegant Universe' is an interesting introduction to String theory (there's a crazy one for you to look up), 'The Universe Next Door' by Chown is very good too and the best of the lot - although VERY complicated and heavy going is 'The Road to Reality, a complete guide to the laws of the universe' by Penrose.

String theory is interesting stuff, check it out.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6786|d

Bertster7 wrote:

Interesting.

I'm a big fan of physics stuff and read a LOT of books on the subject I had fogotten the Hawking quote, which I do really like and agree with : "a time machine will be built someday, but has not yet been built, so the tourists from the future cannot reach this far back in time."

Cheers for reminding me of that.

If you're interested in this sort of stuff I recommend reading into some of this stuff. 'A Brief History of Time' by Hawking is quite a nice simple introduction to all this sort of stuff, 'The Elegant Universe' is an interesting introduction to String theory (there's a crazy one for you to look up), 'The Universe Next Door' by Chown is very good too and the best of the lot - although VERY complicated and heavy going is 'The Road to Reality, a complete guide to the laws of the universe' by Penrose.

String theory is interesting stuff, check it out.
Yea i love that quote, also this one by Albert Einstein

"Imagination is more important then knowledge"

therefore if knowledge is power, what is imagination ?

Just looking at the string theory, "The Theory of Everything" , that is really mind blowing shit.
alpinestar
+304|6619|New York City baby.
I know how to slow down time consciousness, it's called magic mushrooms

Last edited by alpinestar (2006-08-18 15:46:02)

CommieChipmunk
+488|6593|Portland, OR, USA
the wormhole method is the only one that sounds slightly plausable IMO, you cant really create them though (unless you can find a way to rip space) and according to string theory they might not or might actually exist. It all depends on how far you read into it
safshep
What's so special about titles anyway?
+40|6769|Minnesota, USA
If you are interested in physics and similar subjects I would recommend reading "Chaos: Making a New Science" by James Gleick.  It is a bit out of date (1987), but it is still very interesting.  Lots of interesting stuff on fractals and randomness.
Spumantiii
pistolero
+147|6705|Canada
think about this though, if time travel were ever invented, time travellers would be here, and since they aren't, it won't be 
CommieChipmunk
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/

most amazing show ever.  I would seriously recomend watching all of it if you have the time.  It really makes you think and its kinda dumbed down a little bit for teh novices... still really good though
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6786|d

Spumantiii wrote:

think about this though, if time travel were ever invented, time travellers would be here, and since they aren't, it won't be 
maybe they are here but they dont want to tell anyone so that they dont screw up the fabric of time. LOL.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6588|Area 51

Spumantiii wrote:

How do you know that they aren't here? Maybe you are one but you can't tell us that u are from the future and therefore we are meant to believe that there are no time travellers in this period of time.

Last edited by RDMC(2) (2006-08-18 15:59:18)

CommieChipmunk

Spumantiii wrote:

what if we are the first "wave" if you will.  Like we will be the ones to discover it, go back in time ( which would start other "waves" of time ) idk how else to describe it but i've been thinking about that one for a while.  It gets pretty confusing.
Spumantiii
pistolero
+147|6705|Canada
as soon as time travellers get 'here'  the future of 'today' will cease to exist.  It's impossible to mask your presence, even the air from your lungs would contaminate the timelines.  If there are multiple timelines/universes, then it's no longer 'time' travel, it's stepping into other timelines, parallel to yours, you can never leave the single dimension that is 'time' how we understand it.  It always moves 'forward' if not then it must go 'sideways', but it can't go backwards.  Paradox prevents your own existence in this case.  The closest theory involves infinite timelines all coexisting in the progression of 'time'  you could chnge your own 'future', but then you would be stepping ino an alternate timeline, and your 'future' would no longer be changed, you'd just be in the correct timeline for the future you just created for yourself.  No two timelines coincide, time can be compressed but not reversed, even if you were to step from timeline to timeline, you'd still be moving forward in relative time.

Last edited by Spumantiii (2006-08-18 16:29:09)

Spumantiii
pistolero
+147|6705|Canada
I couldn't be from the future, but I could be from a different past.
Spumantiii
pistolero
+147|6705|Canada
think of it like 2 cones joined by their apexes.  The joining point is 'now' .
The flat plane that exists on the same height as 'now' represents stepping sideways.  The cones represent the possible path you've taken/ can take through time.

future
                  \     /
                   \   /
                    \ /
----------------------------------- >you can step sideways here (this is now)
                    / \
                   /   \
                 /      \
                 past                                  ^
time is always moving in this direction   |
the past (in any timeline) will always exist and cannot be rewritten, however, in theory it is possible to jump to a different future by moving sideways into a different timeline
confused yet?

using this principle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohm_interpretation

it indirectly shows that small enough pieces of matter are in fact capable of 2 things,
moving to other timelines, or being intrinsically connected to similar particles in other timelines

Last edited by Spumantiii (2006-08-18 16:45:33)

Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6678|United States of America

mafia996630 wrote:

I was reading today how time travel is theoretically possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_travel

very interring stuff, so i wanted to know other interesting theories that other people know off.

None of that conspiracy crap please.
Time is a sequence of events, thus you can alter perception but you can't reverse a sequence of events that has already happened.

It is a flawed theory.

Traveling faster than light can only distort the visual perception of events.  Vision is only one of our senses.
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6676

Spumantiii wrote:

think of it like 2 cones joined by their apexes.  The joining point is 'now' .
The flat plane that exists on the same height as 'now' represents stepping sideways.  The cones represent the possible path you've taken/ can take through time.

future
                  \     /
                   \   /
                    \ /
----------------------------------- >you can step sideways here (this is now)
                    / \
                   /   \
                 /      \
                 past                                  ^
time is always moving in this direction   |
the past (in any timeline) will always exist and cannot be rewritten, however, in theory it is possible to jump to a different future by moving sideways into a different timeline
confused yet?

using this principle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohm_interpretation

it indirectly shows that small enough pieces of matter are in fact capable of 2 things,
moving to other timelines, or being intrinsically connected to similar particles in other timelines
Hmm, moving along that plane would require shifting of the past and future cones along the plane, which would require reconfiguration of matter to ensure the continuity of the past and future, which would take time (unless you've got an example of a star trek style matter transporter), which would mean that you are actually travelling within the future cone.  Moving sideways to a point where you own all the gold in the world would require either rewriting the past or transferring the gold to yourself through some kind of teleportation... and if you can teleport then moving the gold is a possibility within you future cone so it's not travelling sideways either.... IMO anyway.

edit: and I'd see the present as a sheet with a hole in it, the future as a cone still, but the past as single line not a 'possibility cone'.

Last edited by UnOriginalNuttah (2006-08-19 04:20:49)

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6601|Florida
Nuttah, you sound like Doc from Back to the Future.......your just missing the line about the Flux Capacitor lol.

I dont think "time travel" is too far fetched of a theory.  I dont get my excitement up about it, because really, I want to see it before it technically happens.  Something I have always wonered.....

If you start at the point of the international date line, IF you were to be able to circle the earth fast enough, could you move forward in time?  Obviously, you would have to travel faster than the world rotates, so it would have to be pretty rediculous fast.  But provided that you have some sort of craft that can withstand the pressures.......Its always been a thought of mine.....could it be possible?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6604|SE London

Spumantiii wrote:

That's not what Stephen Hawking has predicted. If you read the early posts in this thread carefully there is a quote about that very point.

Time travellers would theoretically only be able to travel through time periods after time travel had been invented, due to the need for the correct device at each point in time you wish to travel to.
dalexa
+4|6628|portugal
you guys are all wrong... i'll explain my theory...

there is no present... all that you do is part of the past... why? because time is always in motion and because of that everything, no mater how brief and close to "now" is, is never "now".
there is no future... why? because it can be altered from the slight change you make... a sneeze changes all that is going to happen because it changes the way that the sneezer is going to interact with everyone...

so it's like...

past                 closest past        uncertain events
|-------------------------|-----------------------|

time travel? can't happen because it will change things in a way that can make everything different...

if someone from the "future" would come here and interact with anyone, he would change the whole path from there to the point where he travelled from... he might not even exist anymore...

but this is just a theory of a guy that believes that the solar system is just an atom from something huge (comparing to our size) and that in the jurassic there was an intelligent life form that wipedout almost the whole planet with an atomic war/accident...

and don't steal my wacky ideas...
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6678|United States of America
Yeah, but people that don't sneeze could time travel.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6786|d
i have to say dalexa theory is the best. its kind of combines all the other theories.
anyway so some one answer my question from b4:

"
"Imagination is more important then knowledge"

therefore if knowledge is power, what is imagination ?
"

i would say control.

also check out Homunculus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homunculus
Kirokura
+26|6561|Sweden

Spumantiii wrote:

If you had a time machine and could travel anywhere in time would you really pick this era?

Oh, and anyone here is is from the future, could you please tell me when 1.4 actually will be/was released? Next weeks lotto numbers would be nice to.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard