modul8r
+0|6496
Hello BF2S help,

The issue I'm experiencing didn't always exist since I started playing BF2 a few months ago.  I wish I could tell you exactly when it started and, of course, what changed, but I can't.  It seems to have come out of nowhere and it always exists when I play BF2 online.  Here's what I can tell you though, and hopefully I can get some suggestions of what the problem may be:

I experience what I call a rubber band issue.  This term is used in MMOs, or it used to be, at least.  It simply means you do something (i.e. move the mouse left, to shoot at someone on your left) but it doesn't happen immediately like you're used to.  Instead, there is a short pause then it "catches up", if that makes sense.  Very annoying, as you can imagine, especially when I'm flying a chopper and all of the sudden I'm upside down, or I'm lined up for a TV guided and "it" happens as soon as I right-click, etc.

As far as how often it happens, it seems to come in bursts.  Sometimes it will happen every 30 seconds, sometimes more, sometimes less.  I'm thinking of recording a video of this if you all think it would be helpful.

I've noticed that if I check my ping (using tab, of course) when I run into this issue, it spikes sometimes to 150 or so.  Not always, but sometimes.  It's hard to catch because sometimes by the time I hit tab key, the issue is gone, so my ping is back down to normal (60 or so, depending on the server).  This, and the fact that the proble does not happen in single player, suggests a problem with my ISP.   I did a speed test and all is good though (6 megabits down, 300-something up last I checked, when I'm rated for 8 megs down, 512 up).  I always disable/throttle file sharing and so forth before I play games online.

My computer has plenty of horsepower.  Athlon 3700+, 2 GB RAM, 2 x 6600 GT (128 MB each), TruePower 550 W.

Also, FWIW, I frequently experience the issue where BF crashes upon clicking Join Game (even if I wait it out and do auto join).  Once I'm in BF2, though, I never crash.  I've tried every fix I've read regarding this.  I understand many others experience that issue, but as far as the rubber band thing is concerned, I haven't seen many posts about it.

I've re-installed twice to no avail, and used the full 1.3 patch, etc. (following recommended instructions).

Last, note that I also play Counter Strike Source and have never experienced this issue, or anything similar.  Once in a blue moon I get a nv4_disp BSOD upon launching CSS but it hasn't happened in at least a month.  As far as game play goes in CSS, it's smooth as silk.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.  Thanks in advance for your time.

-mod

Last edited by modul8r (2006-08-01 15:43:13)

gburndred
tiga tiga tiga tiga tiga woods ya'll
+95|6655|Calgary,AB,Canada
I get that same thing too. I go to shoot the gun, and nothing, normally i have to wait about 3 seconds for it to finally fire, and it always happens at the worst time in a battle.
Ben>You
+90|6543
Eh.. Lag is all i can say.
TheRealRyanRay
+22|6590|Gainesville, FL
have you  OC'ed your GPU? if so turn it down and try it again

Ryan
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6503|Melbourne

I have had a simular problem with my BF2 aswell, here is what i done to fix it:
First if your cards are overclocked, lose the overclock as this can cause system instability, update to the latest drivers for your video card and your mobo, run bf2 and see if there is any change, if not post back here.
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
modul8r
+0|6496
My GPU was overclocked at one point in time (a couple of months ago), but not for very long, and it wasn't overclocked much either.  Additionally, note that I have aftermarket GPU coolers on both cards.  Because of this issue in BF2, to rule out overclocking as being related, I previously disabled overclocking.  I'm not 100% certain if this issue occurred or not before overclocking - wish I was.  Still, I only overclocked after installing the coolerse, and I didn't overclock very much either.  I have notes at home of what temperatures the cores went up to and what settings I was using if needed.

Since I've been fighting this problem for so long now, and I've tried so many things, I decided to format my hard drive this past weekend.  At first, BF2 ran fine and I was very happy, of course.  But after the next day, the problem presented itself again and sometimes it was worse.  For example, last night, I would get ping spikes of up to 1000!  And "there is a problem with your connection" error messages over and over.

I ran a speed test with my ISP (grande communications in Austin, TX) and I'm getting over 8 megabits down, although my upload is only about half of what it should be (getting about 300 kilobit instead of 512 that it's rated for).  I want to call them to see if I'm getting packet loss, or if they are having issues, but I'm not sure what to tell them since my speeds are pretty good.

Am I the only person getting these insane ping spikes?  Again, note that I always disable all of my port forwards for P2P before gaming.  Is that enough, or do I need to actually close the apps, i.e. eMule?  Last, note that P2P stuff is on different computers - this computer is specifically for gaming (especially after formatting).

Any software out there that tests for packet loss (instead of just "speed")?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

-mod
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6762

The main thing I would suggest looking at is your packet loss and choke (easily done if you play counter strike just check out the net graph function - google it). Your problem sounds identical to what I have all the time - its not that upload and download speeds are poor - it is that the quality of your connection is poor resulting in too many dropped packets and too much congested communication. I found that especially during peak hours the problem was unsolveable other then to complain to your ISP.

Secondly, check that your cable modem or DSL modem is not over heating. They have an extremely common problem of having faulty power supplies or simply getting too hot that the bandwidth goes to shit and the signal coming in gets distorted with noise from the power supply overheating. Linksys is semi-notorious for this so make sure your router / switch / hub / modem isn't overheating.

Finally, check if your cable installer put on an atennuator. These drop down the signal (if it is too strong for your modems required range) but after a few months they can come loose and result in bad signal connections. Make sure your connection is very firm between all connectors. I found this out last week when my latency was jumping to 350 and I could not figure it out - the cable had come loose between the attenuator and modem. I ended up taking the attenuator off and the problem has been solved since.
broncobullfrog
Extra Tender Juicy SPINY
+58|6768|The 70's
http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/

This is a freedownload speedtest, very good, very accurate. checks ping worldwide, download/upload speeds and packet loss.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6762

The main thing I would suggest looking at is your packet loss and choke (easily done if you play counter strike just check out the net graph function - google it). Your problem sounds identical to what I have all the time - its not that upload and download speeds are poor - it is that the quality of your connection is poor resulting in too many dropped packets and too much congested communication. I found that especially during peak hours the problem was unsolveable other then to complain to your ISP.

Secondly, check that your cable modem or DSL modem is not over heating. They have an extremely common problem of having faulty power supplies or simply getting too hot that the bandwidth goes to shit and the signal coming in gets distorted with noise from the power supply overheating. Linksys is semi-notorious for this so make sure your router / switch / hub / modem isn't overheating.

Finally, check if your cable installer put on an atennuator. These drop down the signal (if it is too strong for your modems required range) but after a few months they can come loose and result in bad signal connections. Make sure your connection is very firm between all connectors. I found this out last week when my latency was jumping to 350 and I could not figure it out - the cable had come loose between the attenuator and modem. I ended up taking the attenuator off and the problem has been solved since.
motherdear
+25|6668|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
if you haven't defragged it then i would say that it is the good old 1.3 patch.
modul8r
+0|6496

motherdear wrote:

if you haven't defragged it then i would say that it is the good old 1.3 patch.
Even though I just formatted a few days ago, you think I should defrag since installing the full 1.3 patch?
Kaosdad
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
+201|6696|Broadlands, VA
Remeber that I suck at this game.  However, it was only after 1.3 that I could see insane lag on servers with sub 50 ping, CTD and the exact effect you described in your initial post.

Before you tear your hair out - let's see what 1.4 brings us.

Also - recall that 1.3 not only b0rk3d desktops, but also servers!
modul8r
+0|6496

Kaosdad008 wrote:

Remeber that I suck at this game.  However, it was only after 1.3 that I could see insane lag on servers with sub 50 ping, CTD and the exact effect you described in your initial post.

Before you tear your hair out - let's see what 1.4 brings us.

Also - recall that 1.3 not only b0rk3d desktops, but also servers!
Kinda off topic here, but since all these problems with 1.3, why didn't everyone (servers and clients) roll back to the previous version?
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6757
I am having the same problem with the stutter lag.

Could I ask does it happen more at peek times E.G. 6-11.

I have just contact my ISP and it turn out I have been put on a fair user program, because I was downloading during these hours and this was cutting my bandwidth during these hours.

I have been told as long as I dont download during them time for the next few days, I will be taken off the FUP thing and my bandwidth will be put back to normal.

Just an idea but you might want to check with your ISP about this and se if you have been put on it as well.

I will let you know in a week or so if this works and my game gets back to normal.

Hope this helps.
GR34
+215|6562|ALBERTA> CANADA
its happend to me in the beta but when it happens i get infinate ammo
modul8r
+0|6496
I *think* I found the culprit - ZoneAlarm (free).

I observed the issue-at-hand last night, closed BF2, disabled ZoneAlarm then opened BF2 and all was well.  What a coincidence that I got 3rd place or something on the first map I played.

I'll do more testing tonight and let you all know for sure, for the record.

Thanks again for the help, everyone!

-mod
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6670

modul8r wrote:

I *think* I found the culprit - ZoneAlarm (free).

I observed the issue-at-hand last night, closed BF2, disabled ZoneAlarm then opened BF2 and all was well.  What a coincidence that I got 3rd place or something on the first map I played.

I'll do more testing tonight and let you all know for sure, for the record.

Thanks again for the help, everyone!

-mod
I confirm those findings.... it seems to be the way it handles connection attempts after you shut down p2p... when it comes to blocking up to 50 connection attempts per second from other p2p's peers.... it fails.  I usually shut it down and stick with Windows firewall when I've been filesharing to get a linux DVD or other completely legal and in no way dodgy p2p activities

Zone Alarm is best to keep on if you run any programs which you don't want to get on the net, as Windows Firewall will let them through for a while until you block them.

If you watch the Inbound Protection figures you can tell if this is what's happening to you... during 'rubber banding' the attempts will be going up very fast (I've seen it ticking up at up to 50 per second), whereas if you haven't p2p'd for a few days it'll go up once or twice a second.
modul8r
+0|6496
Actually, I have a separate machine that I use for P2P.  ZoneAlarm was (most likely) causing this behavior without me running anything internet-related besides BF2.
horny_trojan
+39|6728|Los FUCKING Angeles
werd
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6670

modul8r wrote:

Actually, I have a separate machine that I use for P2P.  ZoneAlarm was (most likely) causing this behavior without me running anything internet-related besides BF2.
Still, check and see whether the Incoming Protection events are ticking up, because it's only when ZoneAlarm is actually doing something that it messes up my game.  Even when I switch it to 'Game Mode'...
modul8r
+0|6496
To wrap up this topic, I'm highly confident that ZoneAlarm was my problem.  I played again last night and did not experience the said issue.

Hopefully this information ("try disabling your software firewall, such as ZoneAlarm") can/will be added to an existing help sticky, to save others from all the time I spent putting out this fire.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard