CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6546|SoCal
Ok, as a computer proffessional with a degree in electronic engineering I must tell you all that any dual core processor will not be anything special at this point. For one, the software is not designed to take advantage of it and 2nd these processor are dual core but the bus they use to transfer data is shared by both proceesors on the motherboard so only one processor at a time is actually doing anything at any given moment, the other is stuck waiting for it's turn. Unless the motherboards are being designed to give each processor it own bus to use it is nothing more than hipe. Prime example is dual channel memory modes, each stick has it's own path for data enabling both sticks to be accessed at once, so 2gig in dual mode means you are accessing all 2gig at one time were 2gig in single channel mode you never access more than 1gig at a time.

If you really want to be impressed look into Nvidia's 950 chipset motherboards with Dual SLI Northbridge chips, just remember though, If I can play bf2 at 1600x1200 and max all ingame video settings with my ahtlon64 3400+ and my 7800GS and it plays smooth as glass (unless my internet is bugging in which case no amount of hardware will help a problem that your ISP needs to fix) then you are spending alot of your hard earned money so you can brag about it. Anything above 60Hz or 30 fps is beyond the human eyes ability to see mine at 70fps versus anothers at 100 fps would not be any different except I got more money then they do.
Incontrovertible
+1|6765|Brisbane, Australia

CronicjoeBlunt wrote:

Ok, as a computer proffessional with a degree in electronic engineering I must tell you all that any dual core processor will not be anything special at this point. For one, the software is not designed to take advantage of it and 2nd these processor are dual core but the bus they use to transfer data is shared by both proceesors on the motherboard so only one processor at a time is actually doing anything at any given moment, the other is stuck waiting for it's turn. Unless the motherboards are being designed to give each processor it own bus to use it is nothing more than hipe. Prime example is dual channel memory modes, each stick has it's own path for data enabling both sticks to be accessed at once, so 2gig in dual mode means you are accessing all 2gig at one time were 2gig in single channel mode you never access more than 1gig at a time.
Lol, never heard of a Mac? OS X has been taking advantage of dual proc/core for years.
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6618|Quebec city, Canada
On benchs, I see better results with dual core cpu than with single-core cpu with yeah, at this moment we cant take benefit of them completely

but anyway dual core cpu are not too expensive so why not go for them ?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709
FFS were not talking about dual cores... were talking about core 2 duos... and dual core cpus are for the future
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jnick
+22|6775

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

FFS were not talking about dual cores... were talking about core 2 duos... and dual core cpus are for the future
FFS Core 2 Duo's ARE DUAL CORE.

And to all the people, including the "I have an electrical engineering degree" dual core processors ARE beneficial. Learn what DUAL CORE actually means. It's NOT to processors. It's two CORES, one PROCESSOR. Therefore, it doesn't matter if there is only one bus to transmit data, as it only NEEDS one bus.

I can play Battlefield 2, render a DVD, and listen to music without a hitch thanks to dual core. Let me see you do that on any single core processor.

Just because an app s multi-threaded, doesn't mean it won't be beneficial. I can run one core DEDICATED to BF2, while the other handles any background services or other programs.

Not only that, but Conroe has a brand new architecture. Basically, a Conroe at 2.4Ghz, ($350)  is equal to an AMD at 2.8Ghz ($1,000). Now let's take that 2.4 and overclock it a little . . . are you starting to get the picture?

I think it's time some of you guys research what Core 2 Duo's are . . .
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6619|Canada
quite better i must say, but thats just me.
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6546|SoCal
ok, first off Intel core 2 duo e6700 (2.67GHz) $645 the 2.4 is $425, NOT $350, the extreme is $1200, AMD Athlon 64 FX62 $835.33, so if I go with you the first thing you'll notice is that Intels 2nd BEST processor is the closest in price to the BEST processor, which show that you will ALWAYS pay 1/2 to twice as much for Intels as you would for the AMD, if they were car companies having their cars reviewed they reviewers compare same class cars of each maker, what you are doing is trying to compare a tercel to a accord instead of comparing it to a camary which is what you should do.

Now you cannot honestly tell me that you believe that a core2, which is TWO PROCESSORS in a SINGLE CHIP SHARING ONE BUS FOR ALL DATA TRANSFER, does not have to take turns???
If this IS your stand on this then you should work for Caltrans so you can show them how to condense 2 lanes for traffic into just one WITHOUT EACH CAR TAKING TURNS TO MERGE, or I guess you might believe both lanes can just keep going at the same time and by pixi dust magic, nothing crashes. The only way each core can move data at the same time is for each one to have it's own dedicated bus to use, EXAACTLY how memory works when in a dual channel configuration.

Lastly, I don't if you're AMD or Intel, ALL PCI EXPRESS based systems have a flaw that will be it's undueing and that is If you have 1 pci-e device it gets 100% odf the bus bandwidth, add a 2nd, now each only get 1/2 of the total, a 3rd now all are 1/3 total, 4th, you get it. So with the intergrated pci-e sound, SATA & usually the nic card too, thats 1/3 there, add 1 video, 1/4 sli video, 1/5. Don't believe me? Look it up yourself, try www.tomshardware.com , while your there look up NEW 950 nvidia chipset that is DUAL NORTHBRIDGE CHIPS THAT ACTUALLY HAS THEIR OWN BUSES not to meantion one the the northbridge chip has a built in memory controler so if they want they can design a board that has memory slots on it just to install DDR memory dedicated to the northbidge, That is the chip that controls the buses of most crucial areas like hard drive, pci express bus, etc.

That is just a tiny piece of the whole hardware part but there is still the software side of it too. If the software is not expressly writen to use any feature from dual core to a usb port that has special instructions you will not ever fully benefit from it , in fact it can cause you problems, case in point, BF2, you must set the SLI settings of a SLI video installed system to Single GPU SLI mode, which is a compatiblity mode, you know that windows safe mode is a compatibilty mode too, would play bf2 in safe mode? I wouldn't.A benchmark program is only good for one purpose, that is to gauge the effect any change from settings to drivers, you made and if performance got better or took a hit.  If I got say, 3dmark and it happens that the programer knew more about the insturctions in AMD's and Nvidia based video then Intels and ATI video you would find that AMD/Nvidia scored better than Intel/ATI combos, but 3DMark is not gonna have a little note that tells you what the programer knows or doesn't know. Sure with Intel you can rip MP3's or DVD's and play bf2 and you can'yt on a AMD but guess what, stop the dvd stuff, bf2 is still running exactly the way, no less performance if you are yet no gain in performance in bf2 when you're not so no edge, I got 5 PC's and a alienware laptop so if I want to do both I do both and I don't have to stop playing bf2 becasue it is done reading and now needs a blank or to click next cause I'd do it on the laptop next to me

I could keep going there is a lot more info you obviously didn't know when you posted but I believe I have given enough to back my claim to my knowledge of a computer besides a couple of qoutes around a poor attempt at an insult. Now for some credentials too:

ITT TECH Graduate GPA 3.2 Honors
Dec 1996
AA in Electronic Engineering Technology
Which covers from basic electrontics thru all types of electrical Technology including Satellite communications & even Programing in DEBUG, also known as machine language, that is how data is done at the motherboard level.
I have 10 years experience just since a Graduated alone so I will not even bring up the 15 yrs before that. worked for companies like FEDEx and GTE to a government employee for a county in California. oh yea and have been 1/2 partner in my own company for over 7 yrs and that is why I "used to work for the others" and not currently.

I do not know everything there is to know, nobody does, you can't there is too many different hardware designs meaning too many possible varibles depending on what is used with what and how.Do I know more than you? Honestly I probably forgot more than you know and you still might know something , or a trick that I don't but I will learn it soon or later while you miss things because you are too busy knowing everything already. What you have is  like having SATA and then telling me that I don't know what I am talking about when I say SCSI is better than SATA. I have built IBM 700 servers that ran 4 pentium pro processors in them, sepperate processors, on sepperate buses, hmmm imagine that
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6546|SoCal
Oh btw an important fact you should read up on call latentcy, which is the delay time from when a request is made to when the response occurs, a Dual core based processor has 2x the latency of a single core processor so I guess when I click or otherwise make a "request", my processor will start the task twice as fast as yours, good thing you got dual core, sound s like you're getting a late start everytime so you're always having to catch up
alexilaiho68
Where's my coffee gone!?
+45|6492|Australia
I'm getting a:

AMD ATHLON 64 - AM2 X2 (dual core) 3800+

is this bad for BF2? D:
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6546|SoCal
Dual core AMD or Intel is not "BAD" per say for bf2 or other things for that matter. The only "problem" if you will is that because of how the motherboards are designed is making dual cores less effective then they could be if they took the same approach they did in developing dual channel mode architecture for memory buses.Dual core has the potential to be big but it is not there currently. Here is how you can decide what you need, when a game you like is running on your system and you cannot set your video options to the best settings and the res mode of 1600 x 1200 or higher 32bit color etc. and plays smooth and fluidly then start wieghing your cost ver. benefit options and go from there, but if it does then until the does becomes does not, save your time and money and don't worry about it
CronicjoeBlunt
+5|6546|SoCal
Oh one other important thing when upgrading or considering to. You have heard the saying, "your chain is only as strong as your weakest link" I'm sure, well your computer is only as fast as the slowest device in the "chain" or path that data must use so the whole thing works as it should. There are certain keyboards that are better than others, or the type of connection, PS2 or USB? The combination for component's snd you're load progess bar under the winxp logo on the load screen only goes once and bam you're desktop is up. think about how many times does yours go by? The less going on at idle the more ready to be used to do what you want it to do, probably at least 45% of the time a customer of mine can see more improvement verses cost by upgrading the leak link in the chain of their pc they own instead of going for a new system. go check out alienware and make your dream pc online, act like money ain't shit to you. I did and the tag was $6999.99(including 21" monitor, keyboard, mouse a 5.1 speakers),  I did a couple of minor changes for a total of $475 too my own system after considering the whole pc option and enjoy bf2 with the best settings possible and play smooth enough to be in the top 10 at the end of the maps for my side. The Alienware $7000 pc, I made someone pc almost exactly like it for half that price, but $3500 is alot more than $475 and benchmarks and everything else aside, my pc plays bf2 as good as his did so if you had $3500 and could make your pc run the way you expect it to for $475 or upgrade for $3500. what could you spend the other $3025 on?
alexilaiho68
Where's my coffee gone!?
+45|6492|Australia
I'm not that good with hardware, I only know the basic shit, and, I hve trouble reading big messages lol..

So, is it good or not to have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+?
plus 2GB of ddr2 ram
and a new mobo I havnt figured out yet
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6644
Oh dear god CronicjoeBlunt, you go on about a degree in electrical engineering.

Any qualification in English would beneficial to your atrociously bad grammar, use the enter key.

I've only read the first few lines of your "I'm an electrical engineer, all must bow before me" post and frankly who cares? I've met loads of people with degrees and plenty of professors at university and the shear number of dim-witted fools is amazingly high.

Try to keep it to the minimum text, don't go off on rants and make it readable.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709
E6600 is 350 bucks at some places, 315dollars in thousands. depends where you get them, newegg jacked up their prices real high... the sellers jack up the prices, not intel

you do know you can turn off one core on core 2 duos so that all the 4mb cache goes to one core...

Last edited by cyborg_ninja-117 (2006-08-15 04:54:32)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6644

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

E6600 is 350 bucks at some places, 315dollars in thousands. depends where you get them, newegg jacked up their prices real high... the sellers jack up the prices, not intel

you do know you can turn off one core on core 2 duos so that all the 4mb cache goes to one core...
I'm laughing at AMD dual core processor prices at the moment , I bought a X2 4800+ a bit ago for £370 and dont_be_ss was talking about buying one (a Fx-60 iirc) and they've suddenly shot up in price to something like £450.

EDIT: Oh, looks like they've gone down now. The pricing of the X2's have been all over the place in the last few days. Must be shortages going on.

Last edited by EvilMonkeySlayer (2006-08-15 05:01:19)

a fly
+105|6637|The netherlands

Nyte wrote:

I don't think any of us have a Core 2 Duo system yet.  People are still pre-ordering.
Nyte, please, dont be a fag my bro games with dual core for half a year now, no problems ever
alexilaiho68
Where's my coffee gone!?
+45|6492|Australia

alexilaiho68 wrote:

I'm not that good with hardware, I only know the basic shit, and, I hve trouble reading big messages lol..

So, is it good or not to have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+?
plus 2GB of ddr2 ram
and a new mobo I havnt figured out yet
yes, please answer me..
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709
get conroe... AM2 needs really expensive ram to get good performance
alexilaiho68
Where's my coffee gone!?
+45|6492|Australia
hows

kingston 2x 1GB DDR2
or
Corsair 2x 1GB DDR2?

I'm sure these two are good ;/
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

alexilaiho68 wrote:

hows

kingston 2x 1GB DDR2
or
Corsair 2x 1GB DDR2?

I'm sure these two are good ;/
G.skill is better
alexilaiho68
Where's my coffee gone!?
+45|6492|Australia
But would they give me good performance? with the AM2
ghettoperson
+1,943|6642

a fly wrote:

Nyte wrote:

I don't think any of us have a Core 2 Duo system yet.  People are still pre-ordering.
Nyte, please, dont be a fag my bro games with dual core for half a year now, no problems ever
Uhhh, how about you don't be a fag? I'm the last person on this forum to stand up for Nyte, but Core 2 Duo was released last month. Your brother may have had a dual core proc for half a year, but dual core existed well before Core 2 Duo.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

ghettoperson wrote:

a fly wrote:

Nyte wrote:

Uhhh, how about you don't be a fag? I'm the last person on this forum to stand up for Nyte, but Core 2 Duo was released last month. Your brother may have had a dual core proc for half a year, but dual core existed well before Core 2 Duo.
they were released yes, but hardly any1 has them... i got one i am teh luckys
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6588|Ohio, USA

max wrote:

it wont really cause any difference to a high-endish AMD/P4/P-D. when i clock up my opty from 250x10 to 290x10 i dont see any improvement in gameplay. at high settings with an average resolution (1280x1024) the game is mainly gpu limited. at low settings this may be different but who cares if you get 200 or 300 fps
this is true max, but when it comes to benchmarks... 100fps is a HUGE difference :p
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6745|Toronto, ON

a fly wrote:

Nyte wrote:

I guess my previous monotonous and neutral statement sounded too ... err ... "faggy"?  And I never said anything about problems or dual core.

(Oh, Canada still hasn't got the conroes yet.  Still waiting).
Alpha as fuck.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard