Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6510|Bournemouth, South England
Attention Soldiers...

"We here at EA/Dice are committed to bringing you the best possible gaming experience, whilst ensuring we still get paid for your impulse purchases.

Because our programmers are still in nappies, it is sometimes an idea on our part to release top quality patches to introduce great new bugs and crashes, and remove anything that might give you easy points.

Some of you will have noticed on our test servers a new patch (1.4) and a new map, which we cannot prenounce without thinking of the muppet show.

This patch has been in beta 1 for eternity, and beta 2 phase for quite sometime.

We at EA are now proud to introduce... wait for it...

Patch 1.4 (Beta phase 3)

This is because we can't be arsed testing 2142, so we thought we'd distract you and hope you forget about it. Our programmers working on the patchs and 2142 are paid by the hour, does it show?"
razz
+7|6684|Australia
No
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.

razz wrote:

No
You realise that now you have revived this thread people will post in it.
EVIL_STYX
TANK WHORE
+62|6684|FIVE RIVERS OF HELL
There stalling the 1.4 patch, just so it comes out about the same time as 2142. After the release of said 1.4 patch 2142 will be here and they won't support BF2 any longer. All you can do is hope it takes care of so many bugs without introducing new ones. If it does have issues they will not get fixed because they will be devoting there time to 2142. It's a stall tactic so they can drop BF2 all together...

EVIL_STYX OUT!!!
luckeydogg
+35|6531|C:/system32/pimp.exe

EVIL_STYX wrote:

There stalling the 1.4 patch, just so it comes out about the same time as 2142. After the release of said 1.4 patch 2142 will be here and they won't support BF2 any longer. All you can do is hope it takes care of so many bugs without introducing new ones. If it does have issues they will not get fixed because they will be devoting there time to 2142. It's a stall tactic so they can drop BF2 all together...

EVIL_STYX OUT!!!
Bullshit...  Or is this sarcasim?
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6533
No one said FAIL im surprised. lol
hurricane2oo5
Do One Ya Mug !!!
+176|6766|mansfield
fail
w0ls0n
+16|6549|Maine
I want to see where thats REALLY posted.
Pimpguin
+1|6494

hurricane2oo5 wrote:

fail
I hope trigger sees this.
EVIL_STYX
TANK WHORE
Why do you think their taking so long? Their trying to work the bugs out and they WILL drop and not support BF2 any longer. They will have 2142! 2142 at $60.00 a box set or BF2 at $10.00 a booster, what do you think...

EVIL_STYX OUT!!!

Last edited by EVIL_STYX (2006-08-13 18:21:47)

curtisdr
+1|6526
never mind...

Last edited by curtisdr (2006-08-13 18:21:54)

EVIL_STYX
TANK WHORE
LOL, thanks man!!!

EVIL_STYX OUT!!! ( because it pisses people off )
smk_valvanite
+12|6678|New Zealand, CHCH

EVIL_STYX wrote:

EVIL_STYX OUT!!!
makes me think you have an unhealthy obsession with shortwave radio?

Last edited by smk_valvanite (2006-08-13 18:30:38)

luckeydogg
+35|6531|C:/system32/pimp.exe

Pimpguin wrote:

hurricane2oo5 wrote:

fail
And he will do????
Windrider_Melb
Pwned so often there's an IPO.
+29|6507|Melbourne, Australia
Even without the hypothesised timing of the patch I was about to say the same thing.

In my experience this much time testing a patch means that they are planning on making it the last one for a long time.

We'll see a little new content that is (hopefully) tested to destruction and is the left-over remains of an expansion pack that never reached maturity. Probably a lot of small to middling tweaks and fixes with most of the glaringly obsecene bugs, glitches and holes fixed-up adequately. Some of the most annoying but hard-to-fix problems will remain. I don't know what they will be as I haven't any experience in the code, but I'll guarantee that the developer working on this patch is optimising the number of bugs fixed per hour of work. This will be especially true if they are working to no fixed deadline (which happens) in which case they will be trying to keep a "fit-for-public-consumption" version as recent as possible - by focussing on fixes that take hours rather than multiple days or weeks.

If they do now have a deadline, as suggested, they might try tackling a few biggies because they know for sure how much time they have.

Remember, writing code is only part of fixing bugs. First they have to identify the "buggy" behaviour, then find where in the code occurs, then figure out what the code is doing, then understand why it is causing that behaviour, then try to fix it without breaking anything else or find what else they need to fix. It's not as easy as it sounds, especially if it is someone else's code (which it usually is, and they usually kept poor notes, and didn't check things into Clearcase very often etc etc).

\\'

EDIT: Since the deadline appears to be really close they have probably already frozen the code and are testing the patch installer.

Last edited by Windrider_Melb (2006-08-13 19:17:38)

Slam
+74|6637

luckeydogg wrote:

Pimpguin wrote:

hurricane2oo5 wrote:

fail
And he will do????
go triggerhappy on ur ass
Karo6972
Syrup Man
+2|6797
Hmm...

Guess you are wrong?
EVIL_STYX
TANK WHORE
Hmm... I think your wrong!

That says nothing about any support for BF2, thats talking about MOD's, which we all know comes out after the support STOPS.

EDIT: Who is that in your sig SLAM?

EVIL_STYX OUT!!!

Last edited by EVIL_STYX (2006-08-13 18:57:27)

Dusk_X2
+6|6693|Kansas

EVIL_STYX wrote:

Why do you think their taking so long? Their trying to work the bugs out and they WILL drop and not support BF2 any longer. They will have 2142! 2142 at $60.00 a box set or BF2 at $10.00 a booster, what do you think...

EVIL_STYX OUT!!!
I think your right, and it pisses me off. I want to play 'modern combat'. Not some freakin sci-fi bs!

Titans my ass!

Last edited by Dusk_X2 (2006-08-13 18:50:45)

EVIL_STYX
TANK WHORE
I do not care for the theme of 2142 either! I think they can do so much more with the "MODERN COMBAT" theme IMO... just think how much equipment that they have not even tried to use yet. Not to mention how many different maps they could pull out there you know what... I don't dig the idea of Mech Warriors basically. Have you seen the footage of 2142? The active camo is cool, but you have little droids that watch your back for you, and many other things that don't interest me!

EVIL_STYX OUT!!!

Last edited by EVIL_STYX (2006-08-13 18:56:12)

Windrider_Melb
Pwned so often there's an IPO.
+29|6507|Melbourne, Australia

EVIL_STYX wrote:

Hmm... I think your wrong!

That says nothing about any support for BF2, thats talking about MOD's, which we all know comes out after the support STOPS.

EDIT: Who is that in your sig SLAM?

EVIL_STYX OUT!!!
I agree - that sounds like they are supporting content modders as the next stage of keeping the game alive cheaply. They might also see which mods get good feedback and package some of that content into another patch or set of tweaks. Kind of open-sourcing the content. Makes sense to me, but only if they freeze the codebase; any changes to the code might break "featured" mod packs.

Yeah who is she? ~ (drools)

\\'
Karo6972
Syrup Man
+2|6797
I was, of course, responding to the original post that assumed that 1.4 was going to be delayed until the release of Battlefield 2142, in order to 'promote' that the game is still alive even with the arrival of this new entry to the franchise... Instead, it is planned that this Tuesday it will come out with all the fixes that were orginally intended... The beta was some 'clever ruse' to delay the patch until later, but was in fact used to improve the contents of the patch. At least, that's what I'm getting out of this...

As far as the thinking goes that they shouldn't release 2142, I disagree.  BF2 has been out for over a year now, it didn't come out last month. 2142 brings the new customizing kit set ups as well as a new scenario, and updated graphics... Are you guys saying that a new entry is too soon at this point?  There are 485 people who are over 200k points... That means there have already been a large number of people who have achieved what, imho, was probably not meant to be attained... I, at least, am only a humble 1st Sergeant who's main goal is to leap the 30k hurdle for that spectacular star... I never thought that I would make it to 20k let alone as far as I have... I'm not saying that I'm ready to throw down the game, but I'm perfectly satisfied with my $100 product...
LBC|Jester
+0|6468|Oklahoma
Im not buying 2142.  All EA and DICE care about is releasing new content.  EA is all about expansion packs and new titles because that is what makes them the most money.  Why bother fixing a game when you can simply release another with the same problems.   I'll admit I still play Battlefield 2, problems aside the game is still fun.  However, Battlefield 2 will be the last game I purchase from EA.  Wanna know why?  Their track record for support.  Here is how 2142 will play out.  The game will be released, only the die-hard fans will buy it while a good majority sit aside and see how everything goes first.  A few more may drop down and decide to go ahead with a purchase.  Some people will hit the public forums and complain about glitches and problems.  DICE will work on a new patch.  The first patch will come out to only cause more problems.  Players will experience crashing to desktop and servers will fall victim to the crashing aswell.  They'll come out with a new patch and another and another that just can't seem to do the job, and while they are busy fixing the problems they created they'll make an announcement for a new expansion pack and some booster packs.  Why not spend all of your time fixing problems? Well creating new content is easier and it makes you more money, everyones a sucker. So think about this first before you decide to buy, are you ready for the same old shit?  Oh and lets not forget.  DICE themselves have said that Widescreen LCD support is "unlikely".  How many of you out there own a widescreen LCD for gaming?  Look at how many other games support widescreen.  DICE just cannot seem to get it right...so enjoy your heaping pile of shit called 2142.

Last edited by LBC|Jester (2006-08-14 02:48:15)

Tjasso
the "Commander"
+102|6525|the Netherlands
leave no patch behind
P581
Monkey
+44|6471

Penetrator_01 wrote:

Attention Soldiers...

"We here at EA/Dice are committed to bringing you the best possible gaming experience, whilst ensuring we still get paid for your impulse purchases.

Because our programmers are still in nappies, it is sometimes an idea on our part to release top quality patches to introduce great new bugs and crashes, and remove anything that might give you easy points.

Some of you will have noticed on our test servers a new patch (1.4) and a new map, which we cannot prenounce without thinking of the muppet show.

This patch has been in beta 1 for eternity, and beta 2 phase for quite sometime.

We at EA are now proud to introduce... wait for it...

Patch 1.4 (Beta phase 3)

This is because we can't be arsed testing 2142, so we thought we'd distract you and hope you forget about it. Our programmers working on the patchs and 2142 are paid by the hour, does it show?"
-1 karma for not being funny OR interesting

+1 karma for not using a spell checker! You are a rebel sir, I applaud you.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard