Poll

Do you think this could become a reality?

Ya thats awsome47%47% - 91
yes but im not gonna play it8%8% - 16
no never but i wish it would12%12% - 23
no nor would i play it31%31% - 60
Total: 190
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6887|Bryan/College Station, TX
The rules of the MMORPG would have to change in order for it to work in a FPS way. Simply put it could not be 24/7 on a world wide scale. It would have to be limited to certain areas and then moved as time goes on and as conflicts progress and result. There could be 24/7 battles in certain areas as someone in this thread already pointed out. 1 million tickets in a set battlefield. Large maps. Always two uncapturable bases for each side so that base raping is kept at a minimal. Constant battle until one side wins. Then there is a break of about 24 to 48 hours and the winners are annouced as well as all the best stats etc. These results are posted as well as a storyline written to sum up the battle which is being reviewed by Admin types every so often. Then the story links into another movement phase where the army that won pushes forward and starts upon another area. This is much like BF2:Combat which is a pay to play service. They however have set times in which these battles take place and obviously in this case it would be 24/7.

All the time while armies are moving back and forward new maps are being produced as they get into newer territory. Perhaps a new ally of the MEC (as mentioned in the thread) would arrive from the North flank and conflict with the US forces. Insurgents would be a good example. Perhaps these attack a different supply line than then main battle taking away the number of members that can take part in the main battle of the frontlines. This leaves the US at a disadvantage against the brunt of the MEC troops. A real life senerio in war plays out in which you just can't fight a two front war as effectively as a one front war. However unlike the MEC which would be a constant enemy the Insurgents once they win or lose disappear for the time being. Allowing the MEC to advance around or take that moment to press hard against the US and maybe win the battle and get to push back to the previous battle ground. It's all give and take depending on the story. Maybe there is a supply line break due to insurgent attack and the result would be less armor and aircraft for the US to use against the MEC. The situations are endless really in a live war senerio.

You also can easily add things like rank really does allow you to call in airstrikes or pilot tanks etc. Disobeying certain orders from top brass could also result in you losing rank if done too many times or even losing tickets on your team's points. There is all sorts of negatives that can be placed on not following order or not using teamwork. Given this would be a pay to play service it would also remove a lot of the idiot players who are on there just to fuck with people or not play seriously. If your paying for it you better be damn straight I'm going to take it seriously.

So I can see the MMORPG-FPS happenings. There is a solid concept for it and it can happen. However the resources it would take are huge. Not only would EA/DICE have to work out all the kinks in the system esspecially cleaning up the game so that it doesn't require uber highend systems, they would have to work on the network issues the game has already. Servers would have to exist for multiple battles at once and for each area of the real world. They already exist now but they would have to be networked in some way to allow for larger maps and battles that effect each other real time on two different servers. Seemless zoning would also be a must. There is no way you could play this game if you had to wait for zoning load times. Not in the middle of battle at least.

So the solution is. Better hardware on the company's side. More reliable networks. Full time staffers. Take the current BF2:Combat system and make it 24/7. Have a detailed and elaborate storyline. Find a way to make larger maps work with more people. Find a way to be able to remove or add vehicles according to story. Make new maps as armies progress or regress. A new ranking and unlock system.

Do all that and you will have a game that many would be willing to play. I know I would.

Cheers.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
dog7777
+0|6706
I have thought about this alot and it would rule. It could be like PLANETSIDE but current technology. ( If you dont know much about planetside goto www.planetside.com and get a reservist account and download game warning 1.3G) and play I have a pay account its worth it)

so instead of dropships you could have C-130's and black hawks
Arty strike instead of Orbital strike
probably lots more things that could happen but meh
Cubefreak666
I kill you in future, too
+34|6676|Germany
I thought of it a few times ago and talked about it with my friend
Something like Guild Wars+ Battlefield 2
D_Con_StrucT
+0|6542
www.webzengames.com/Game/Huxley/

I don't have an opinion yet, just putting it out there.

Edited to add some quick things:

Microsoft is behind this.  6 months after the PC version comes out, the xbox version should appear.  Uhmmm... killing xbox peeps who FPS with a gamepad.... yum.

Last edited by D_Con_StrucT (2006-07-14 12:38:13)

=|A mere Shadow|=
The Anarchist
+121|6670|Britain and Damn proud of it!
Apart from being frickin awesome, i think the possiblity of it becoming a reality is very very slim, way too many varibles and.. Arrgh the concept makes my mind hurt....
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6836|Jupiter
Maybe in 10 years or so.
BolvisOculus
Spagett!
+167|6663|Manitowoc, WI
whats with the revive, this is a thread from May
Why don't you just go to war?
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6670|Canada
no, y? b/c i play BF2 b/c its free. i dont believe in paying 50+ dollars to own a game, then spen more money every month just to b able to play it. its redundant. i dont like the idea of making sum1 pay to play a game they already bought.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6760
server would die
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Souls
+14|6707|Garden City, KS. USA
I think it could happen. 10 years ago did you ever think there would be a game like BF2?
_-_911_-_180891
+540|6546|Shanghai, ethnicity=German
Voted for "*" Ya thats awsome "*"
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6575
To a degree this kind of sounds like Armored Assault. 400 square kilometer island. 100+ people per server. 2 teams trying to conquer the island. You can play it in the morning take over a city or two. Go to work come back and finish up. Armored Assault is going to be good I mean its a sequel to Operation Flashpoint (greatest war sim ever) so it must be awesome even though graphics kind of suck.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6764|California

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6734|Tampa Bay Florida
you can only daydream for something as good as that.......
Disodium
+13|6557|Sydney
very possible, and planetside would be an example of a working concept even if it isnt incredably popular.
If it was made with the right balance of quality vs. game play then i would be happy to donate some of my pay to it monthly.
SonofASniper
Pump It Baby, Pump it!
+34|6580|Oregon
Ok, I didn't take the time to read it because I got the jist of it real quick.  As a few others have mentioned, there is another game that does exactly that, it is just futuristic and currently it is free to play for up to the first six levels.

It is called,

PLANETSIDE!!!!

Ok kiddies, look it up. Study it.  It has been going for years now and is actually getting better and starting to regain a lot of membership.  If EA would study that model, and then apply the BF story line, tweak it so that they don't make the same mistakes SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) made they will have a hell of a game.

I said this to some different people a year ago.  I was told not a chance in hell would anyone like the idea.  By reading the comments here and the poll, I guess I am being proven right.

SOS
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6635|Your attic
http://www.cad-comic.com/news.php?i=1175

Haven't played it myself, but if they can do it with mechs, they can do it with soldiers.

For those to lazy to click again, it's basically a giant ongoing war between 3 factions. You upgrade your mech and so on and use it in battle. Eventually one side wins and the whole thing is reset, sounds like a good idea for a BF MMORPG FPS
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6742

It sounds brilliant, I'd buy it, and get a job to finance the computer for it.
Tramp
+0|6547
How about make the game like BF2 in one big giant world. Have every continent and country accesible. And have every type of vehicle accesible: Tricycles to Jet airplanes. Every city and every state with all its buildings, houses, apartments, local gunshops, etc. And its every man for themselves! And with a little clock that changes as you move around the globe. Also have numerous Dooms day buttons that can be pressed by anyone to lauch nuclear strikes on a given target. Of course these buttons would probably be put in remote places around the globe making it super, super, super difficult for anyone to find them and of course hidden. I guess to make it a little fair they will be put in major countries such as: USA, Russia, England, China, Korea (maybe...).

Since this would be kinda like BF2 every is able to fly or drive anything they want, no intelligence required. Lets see.. you dont need to refuel, you dont need to sleep (your character of course) , Based on a 24/7 network, there will be Tons of respawn points all around, and Maybe flags for the most populated cities to capture. Of course clans or groups of some sort are welcome.

Anything else I'm forgetting?
destruktion_6143
Was ist Loos?
+154|6670|Canada
lame
Mudguts
+1|6536

Souls wrote:

I think it could happen. 10 years ago did you ever think there would be a game like BF2?
Exactly... it will happen, but I think GTA style would be even more fun. Gangs instead of guilds etc.. imagine 30 armed dudes on Harleys cruising the streets.. itd be classic!
beerface702
+65|6737|las vegas
hopefully this will come to fruitation. but not for a good few y ears

i would never leave my house. move back in to my moms...sell my car and upgrade to a startrek puter
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6574|Boston, MA
It can be done, Planetside did it.
Dersmikner
+147|6542|Texas
I've thought of this from the minute I saw the game. They'd have to design enormous maps, with interconnected "hotspots", so units could travel from city to city.

A game would last literally weeks or months. You would be on a team and every time you logged in, that's who you would be.

Your overall commander would send attack units to some areas, and once conquered he'd leave defensive units. It would suck if you were in a defensive unit, but that's warfare. You would have a Fleet Admiral, Admiral Vice Admiral, blah, blah, blah all the way down to E3 ( anyone below E3 can kiss my ass  ;-) ). Whatever the command structure is in the Marines, you would have that as well. We'd all be expected to play as our rank dictates, taking orders from above, giving them to those downchain.

It would also require having people from all time zones on each team because you'd hate to have 32 guys in Dallas "protecting" the Gulf of Oman at 3 a.m. central time, when a force of 32 kids from London strolled into town at 8 GMT. Slaughtering the sleeping is easy money.

A "be killed in action and you're out of the game - just like real life" game would be intruiging but might cause several to lose interest. Maybe die and you stay dead a day. Who knows... details...

Anyway, I believe that if the mission were to control all of Karkand, then leave a garrison and move attack troops to Sharqi, then on to Gulf of Oman, etc., and do it live and real time between two massive armies, it would quickly become the most popular computer game of all time and I'd probably pay about whatever they ask for it.

Last edited by Dersmikner (2006-08-09 07:20:17)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard