Poll

How many Americans know of the burning of Washington D.C.?

Yes, you do know about the event.75%75% - 109
No, you didn't know.24%24% - 35
Total: 144
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6600|Southeastern USA
not again.......................<sigh>
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6746|NJ

kr@cker wrote:

Widow_Warrior wrote:

Im Surprised The French Helped Anyone , As They Are Known For Being Cowards
can't wait to go and ask for directions to the surrender museum
ahh crap kr@cker is going to France, the Frence people are going to have a new leader soon....

haha
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
I will need a minister of the ATFS, Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Strippers. Unfortunately for most of you I will also need the minister to be a stripper herself.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6592|Texas - Bigger than France
194 years have past since 1812.

Congrats on getting to page 6 everyone.
Widow_Warrior
+7|6539|SOUTH ENGLAND

redhawk454 wrote:

USARANGER01 wrote:

hey, um, does anyone remember when britian was getting their asses kicked in WWII then we came in and saved them?? and u cant say u were doing good by urself, because almost every single piece of military equiptment u had during the battle of britian, and almost all the food and supplies u had was comming directually from us
Dont get em started, our food was bad and we didnt include any tea.
DONT GET EM STARTED LOL AS IN EM US BRITS , THAT SOUNDS PRETTY RACIST!!!!!
AS FOR YOU SAVING OUR ASSES  USARANGER , YOU CAME IN AFTER WE HAD BEEN FIGHTING FOR YEARS , WE WERE DOING A GOOD ENOUGH JOB THNX
Widow_Warrior
+7|6539|SOUTH ENGLAND
Oh well  im gonna play some bf2 now . Looks like all you lot do is post in these forums !!! lmao
https://www.technikerboard.de/images/smilies/armyboot.gif
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6708|WPB, FL. USA
You Britt's call us Americans "Inbreeds" because we populated the Colonies {still goes on in W. Virginia - sad}.
We Americans say "the Britt's are still pissed because we didn't let them on the boat" {a hygiene thing I think}.

All said and done - WE ARE FAMILY!
We piss at each other together, we laugh together, we bleed together - and in the end we'll have a pint together.  God save the Queen and God bless the President and all that happy horse shit 

Kaboom
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6757|67.222.138.85

Widow_Warrior wrote:

redhawk454 wrote:

USARANGER01 wrote:

hey, um, does anyone remember when britian was getting their asses kicked in WWII then we came in and saved them?? and u cant say u were doing good by urself, because almost every single piece of military equiptment u had during the battle of britian, and almost all the food and supplies u had was comming directually from us
AS FOR YOU SAVING OUR ASSES  USARANGER , YOU CAME IN AFTER WE HAD BEEN FIGHTING FOR YEARS , WE WERE DOING A GOOD ENOUGH JOB THNX
WHY ARE YOU TYPING IN ALL CAPS, THIS IS THE FRICKIN' DEBATE AND SERIOUS TALK SECTION. If you can't say anything worth reading, I ask you to please stop posting here and go to one of the BF2 related threads. AS for Britain in WWII, yes you had been fighting them for years and weren't in a very good position. Even before the US entered the war, we had been giving you supplies and AA weapons, very beneficial. I'm not going to go into what if situations, but by themselves Europe wasn't doing to well. However, the fact is that the US were allies with the French/English/Russians(kinda) and that together we kicked Nazi ass.

Edit: Nice AFCCptkaboom

Last edited by Flaming_Maniac (2006-08-07 15:23:41)

Stags
+26|6706
It's true.

Seriously.  We are "family" even way back then.
Widow_Warrior
+7|6539|SOUTH ENGLAND

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Widow_Warrior wrote:

redhawk454 wrote:

WHY ARE YOU TYPING IN ALL CAPS, THIS IS THE FRICKIN' DEBATE AND SERIOUS TALK SECTION. If you can't say anything worth reading, I ask you to please stop posting here and go to one of the BF2 related threads. AS for Britain in WWII, yes you had been fighting them for years and weren't in a very good position. Even before the US entered the war, we had been giving you supplies and AA weapons, very beneficial. I'm not going to go into what if situations, but by themselves Europe wasn't doing to well. However, the fact is that the US were allies with the French/English/Russians(kinda) and that together we kicked Nazi ass.

Sorry about the caps ,,, my bad  a mistake .
But as for you giving us supplies ,,, yeah great , 1 thing comes to mind , the worthless sherman tank , yes you ripped us off
Widow_Warrior
+7|6539|SOUTH ENGLAND

AAFCptKabbom wrote:

You Britt's call us Americans "Inbreeds" because we populated the Colonies {still goes on in W. Virginia - sad}.
We Americans say "the Britt's are still pissed because we didn't let them on the boat" {a hygiene thing I think}.

All said and done - WE ARE FAMILY!
We piss at each other together, we laugh together, we bleed together - and in the end we'll have a pint together.  God save the Queen and God bless the President and all that happy horse shit 

Kaboom
I have never in my life called an american an inbreed , hell you have the only country in the world where there , is no such thing as an american ... am i right .. irish . italians , polish , germans , africans etc etc

and you call us euro trash , hell you are more european than myself
That said , can't we all just get along
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
Warrior I guess you're new to these forums, but there are more than a few guys on here that would attempt to turn a thread concerning how yummy chocolate milk is into some yank bashing. Usually ends up with the more sensible ones saying something just like that.
Flaming_Maniac

Widow_Warrior wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Widow_Warrior wrote:

But as for you giving us supplies ,,, yeah great , 1 thing comes to mind , the worthless sherman tank , yes you ripped us off
Are you kidding me, the Sherman tank is one of the major parts that helped win the war. Comparatively it sucked to the Tiger, but they were so much easier to maintain and could be produced in such greater numbers that they could have 1:4 loss ratios to the Tigers and still come out ahead. What would you have done if we hadn't given you any? Spit at the Tigers?
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6551|Los Angeles
First of all I want to say that I think this exercise in nationalistic dick-sizing is pointless, especially by Americans. Guys our nation has done great stuff in the past, but just like every other country out there, for every triumph we have a humiliation, a f*ck up, or a loss in battle or in war. And at the end of the day, we have other countries to thank for our continued existence.

At the same time, I think that it's great that people are discussing history, and probably researching it a bit themselves for the purposes of posting. If we're going to try to teabag and pwn in forums, better to invoke wikipedia. I think it's clear that Cheney/Rumsfeld/Bush never studied the American Revolution, because they're screwing up in Afghanistan and Iraq in exactly the same way that the British did in the Revolutionary war.  Let's not make the same mistakes when our generation is in office.

xGBlitzkrieg wrote:

We won our independence with the help of the French, Without them it wouldn't have been possible to finish the battle, however the american people fought the majority of the war with very little help from anyone, and then the french showed up just in time to give the British armies a final push and ended the conflict.
That's a little disingenuous, because you make it sound as though the British army was just teetering on the edge and the French came and dealt the decisive blow. Let's not forget that the British army captured NYC. The British Army captured Charleston. The British army held Boston. Basically the three major cities in America. The American army won a few important battles but lost most of them.

The American army was sticking together (barely) thanks to survival rations and some excellent leaders. The British were winning battles but losing the war.

For example look at American General Nathanael Greene, commander of the southern army in 1781. His fundamental strategy was to retreat, to run away losing again and again. Cornwallis spent 6 months chasing him and aside from empty battle victories, had nothing to show for it. Meanwhile he was having to chase Greene all over the place, all the while losing troops left and right. Greene's genius was to force the Brits to rely on sourcing supplies locally, so they were seizing local horses, dwellings, and sources of food, pissing off the locals and cementing in their heads that the Brits were the bad guys.

The real War of Independence was not starkly Americans vs Britains, because there were a lot of British loyalists in America who hoped the rebellion would be crushed by the Brits. But people like Greene and Washington realized that the War was more a war of public relations. They had the majority of Americans behind them, having been successful with for example anti-Brit propaganda and smart tactics like those by Greene.

The American army won the war for the hearts and minds of Americans. In my mind that was 90% of the victory, because then the war was the British Army versus an idea, and an idea can't be defeated with cannon and bayonets. The American army was still pretty screwed. But the American underdog story (ie, the romantic notion of founding a country based on ideas and liberty rather than on royalty, and trying to gain independence from the world's superpower) attracted a lot of foreign admiration who rallied to our cause, and without it we'd be spelling it "behaviour" and paying taxes to Great Britain.  Washington owed his victory at Valley Forge to a Prussian, Baron von Steuben, who professionalized Washington's troops. But most important for the Americans was the marquis de La Fayette, a French aristocrat who petitioned Louis the 16th for French forces in America. Without La Fayette's advocacy, the French Army would never have provided Rochambeau's troops nor Admiral de Grasse's fleet, both of which were critical elements in the successful siege of Yorktown and the ultimate defeat of Cornwallis that ended the war.

xGBlitzkrieg wrote:

Before we gained our independence we were british territory with british citzens and they fought back not the US of A it wasn't a country till after the conflict was over!
Not sure of your point here, but it's pretty clear that enough Americans considered themselves independent in 1776 when they drafted the Declaration of Independence, referred to themselves as the "United States of America" and sent it to the King of England. Maybe you think that America wasn't a country until the King of England said so, but if so I disagree with your logic as did most of Europe did way back in 1776, 5 years before the conflict was over.

xGBlitzkrieg wrote:

So you are all wrong you got beat by your own damn people, becuase the monarchy (The worst way to run a country) who kept everyone pissed off at something, or someone! You just remeber this whoever wins the conflict writes the history and thats why there is so much that will never be agreed upon.
Anyone familiar with North Korea will tell you that there are worse ways to run a country than a monarchy. And last time I checked here in the USA everyone is pissed off at something or someone.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6632|SE London

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Widow_Warrior wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Are you kidding me, the Sherman tank is one of the major parts that helped win the war. Comparatively it sucked to the Tiger, but they were so much easier to maintain and could be produced in such greater numbers that they could have 1:4 loss ratios to the Tigers and still come out ahead. What would you have done if we hadn't given you any? Spit at the Tigers?
Yup, the Shermans were great, not as good as the Tigers (esp. Tiger II 'King Tigers'). Although the British Challengers were OK and quicker than the Shermans or the Tigers, Montgomery beat Rommel in Africa with them and those were the big tank battles. of the war. The tanks weren't the most useful things though - it was the raw matierials and ammunition that were most important.

The Americans were very important in the conclusion of the war (although it was the Russians who were the most important really due to sheer numbers), if they'd got involved earlier instead of sitting on their arses at home it probably would have been an easier war to win - but then England could have put an end to the war almost before it started with an alliance with the Russians, but then who knows what would have happened.

All in all the US helped a LOT in the end of WWII, but they could have helped out a lot more, a lot quicker.
They just started off with the misguided view that it wasn't their war and they could stay well clear of it. When they realised they would have to get involved sooner or later and the war wasn't just going to go away, they were much more helpful.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6817|UK

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Widow_Warrior wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

You didnt actually start send Shermans to the forces in N.Africa untill Alamein. Before that you sent the grants, which were near useless because you couldnt go hull down as the large gun was on the side of the tank.
Flaming_Maniac
Why, why did this thread have to be revived?
Sea_JayUK
+19|6573|Notts
the White house is in fact white because the English burned the original building down. All that was left were the stone foundations on which the white house was built. The foundations were painted white too cover up the scorch marks.

Anyone who says anything regarding purity? Seriously...
CyrusTheVirus
E PLURIBUS UNUM
+36|6523|United States of America

ELITE-UK wrote:

If i remember, the usa nearly lost, britain was fighting wars all over the world and where bound to lose somewhere, i would say we kicked the americans ass for a while then we just gotten beat.
I also herd from videos n such when americans say 'we beat you guys before, we can do it again' HA! yeah right your having a laugh.
Ha Ha Ha. We don't need to fight guys - we look on you as our obedient little lapdogs now. Cheers for all the support in spreading freedom and democracy all across the world. It looks like it's just you guys, the US, Israel and maybe Australia that gives a shit about proper values and the wellbeing of those less fortunate than us these days.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6619|Oxford

CyrusTheVirus wrote:

ELITE-UK wrote:

If i remember, the usa nearly lost, britain was fighting wars all over the world and where bound to lose somewhere, i would say we kicked the americans ass for a while then we just gotten beat.
I also herd from videos n such when americans say 'we beat you guys before, we can do it again' HA! yeah right your having a laugh.
Ha Ha Ha. We don't need to fight guys - we look on you as our obedient little lapdogs now. Cheers for all the support in spreading freedom and democracy all across the world. It looks like it's just you guys, the US, Israel and maybe Australia that gives a shit about proper values and the wellbeing of those less fortunate than us these days.
Ha ha ha, you tell that to the ones you're spreading freedom to!!
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+795|6735|United States of America
Still, it's never been taught as a lost war in this country. If, in fact, it was I believe that the country would have no longer been in existence at the conclusion of it.
jonsimon
+224|6546

DesertFox423 wrote:

Still, it's never been taught as a lost war in this country. If, in fact, it was I believe that the country would have no longer been in existence at the conclusion of it.
Well it certainly wasnt a victory.
DesertFox-
Well, I'd say about 51% it may have been a victory. I believe most people here see it as a second revolutionary one. They would tell you that they thought Britain is trying to re-enforce itself and control the country as a colony once more.
jonsimon
+224|6546

DesertFox423 wrote:

Well, I'd say about 51% it may have been a victory. I believe most people here see it as a second revolutionary one. They would tell you that they thought Britain is trying to re-enforce itself and control the country as a colony once more.
We invaded canada and got our asses handed to us. It wasn't even 1% a victory.
DesertFox-
We didn't gain any territory in Canada but we didn't get handed asses. There were important victories such as Battle of the Thames and then the British invasion of the American territory was turned back around September of 1814.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard