blue60007
+0|6845
Well you can't tack on extra slots, so your stuck with two, but there's a slight chance that there is a BIOS upgrade might allow for 1 gig sticks, otherwise you'll need to get a new board.
<eN>Madcat
+2|6842
my point is this game has too many damn requeirements,
Ash_Buckley
+0|6838
These are my best guesses without debuggin or decompiling the software to step through each process.

The client verification is done after the initial load to verify the datas integrity and to check the md5 checksum of the files installed/loaded to ensure a match with the servers.

Again they do the same here, but the intent is to compare the md5 checksum looking for altered game files.
NiteFever
+0|6840
but why does checking the md5 checksums take so long on certain systems
<eN>Madcat
+2|6842

de3ug wrote:

Anybody else noticed a file called "generate_md5.py" in their bf2 install directory?  I'm pretty sure this is the culprit for the long verification times.  I don't know for sure if this is how the verification is done, but MD5 is a popular way of authenticating that a file is the same on both a client and server, and a .py file is a python script.

Implementing the MD5 algorithm in C/C++ would take a lot longer than doing it in python.  However it would run extremely slow by comparison.  The performance can be improved greatly by compiling the python script into bytecode, which is not that hard to do.  However, it would appear that was not done here, since the .py files would then be accompanied by .pyc files.  I'm assuming that if this is the case, and EA has it's act together, that this will be fixed in the upcoming patch.

Now to stay closer to the topic, I don't know why the time varies so much from user to user.  My brothers machine with an AthlonXP 2800+ and GF 6600GT verifies in a minute or so, while my system with an A64 2800 and GF 5900XT can take more than 5 minutes.  Hopefully the survey will shed some light on this issue, good thinking.
I think this look spretty reasonable.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6843|Missoula, MT
Snowman, how are your survey results looking?
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6849|-
What have ya got for us Sn0wMan?!
Ronball9
Sleep Deprived
+8|6849
Any news?  This is where I am getting my disconnects now.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6843|Missoula, MT
Any compiled results yet?? We're "patiently" waiting...
<eN>Madcat
+2|6842
Snowman!!! Wake up mate!! RESULTS RESULTS RESULTS!!!
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6843|Missoula, MT
Snowman has left the building.  Thank you, thank you very much.
lowyaukee
+2|6836
His client data is being verified.... He is to be respawn.....
AndrewPoison
T5 gemustert
+2|6826|Germany
or he just wanted a few specs of typical BF2-rigs

no, come on snowy, post the results!
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6843|Missoula, MT
tick tock Clarice...
fistfullofclams
+1|6833
Found this on some forums hope it helps guys

By DarkSnake:

"Go to the folder C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2

Create a folder named "Common" and unzip the file Common_client into it. Do NOT delete the Common_client file, your game will NOT work if you do.

There should be a folder named "Objects." Unzip the file Objects_client into it. Again, do NOT delete the Objects_client file, your game will NOT work if you do.

That's it.

The differences this makes is much more noticeable for those with less than a gig of ram. Basically, when the map loads, the game has to unzip these files to get what it needs out of them. By removing the stuff out of these archives, the game doesn't need to unzip to get to what it needs, hence, a faster load time. I don't think this helps with client verification.

I have a gig, and I even notice a differance."

This was under "how to speed up loading times", but maybe it'll help your validation time too, who knows..
orb99
+0|6804
Well I managed to figure out and solve what was taking my "verify client data" part up to 5 minutes to finish.

Basically a while back i had redone my machine and forgotten to download the new IDE controller drivers for my motherboard, so the HDD was stuck in PIO mode.

Downloading the new drivers and setting the HDD to Ultra DMA mode the way it was supposed to be has reduced my load time from 5 minutes, to 30 seconds.

I don't know if this is going to help everybody, but it worked for me.

My machine isn't that great either, and i've heard of people with far better machines having the similar problems as i used to.

processor is AMD 2600+ OC'd to 2.0ghz
1.5gig of ram
FIC motherboard (KT-748)
NVIDIA GeForce 5600 (128 megabyte)

EDIT: by the way if you want to find out what your HDD is set at, just in case you wanted to check yours out, it's :

Start > my computer > control panel > system > hardware (tab) > device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controller > Primary IDE > goto advanced settings tab

and you should see it there.  Choose DMA/UDMA if not already on.

Last edited by orb99 (2005-09-12 01:41:27)

CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6843|Missoula, MT
Had that same issue with my dvd drives...darn the PIO mode!  Why is it even an option?
sysfried
+0|6825|Stuttgart, Germany

Sn0wMan wrote:

--> Take the survey!
I wanted to.. but you're missing my cpu! 4200+ Athlon64 X2 (DUAL CORE)

Btw...

I had my system set up with s-ata WD raid editions (stripe) and am now running BF2 off the same HD but single HD... no speed difference noticable... Will take the survey when my cpu get's listed!

:-)
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6843|Missoula, MT
Doesn't matter, we'll never get the results anyway. I think Snowman has forgotten about us.
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6849|-

CMDR_Dave wrote:

Doesn't matter, we'll never get the results anyway. I think Snowman has forgotten about us.
He's still alive, I know for a fact

He's getting around to publishing the info.
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6843|Missoula, MT

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

CMDR_Dave wrote:

He's still alive, I know for a fact

He's getting around to publishing the info.
And the crowd goes wild "Yeeaaahhh"!
AndrewPoison
T5 gemustert
+2|6826|Germany
Well maybe i should make another survey, one that will really be published ^^
KoJ
+0|6791|Norway
Hi.
You don't have my cpu type in your survey, so I'll post my info here instead.  Hope it is ok.

CPU: 1x intel xeon  3.0 ghz (soon 2x)
RAM: 1024 mb Twinmos dual channel DDR400 ( soon 2gb)
HDD: 2x80 gb S-ATA in raid 1
GPU: Fx5200... (VERY SOON x850xt pe.)

I see verifying client data for about 10 secs, but hoping too cut it down to about one or two secs..
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6821
CMDR_Dave... what is that "thing" in your signature? It is highly annoying.. I can't stand seeing it...
Ag3nT-()r@ng3
Another German Mod
+6|6809|Lake Constanze, Germany

Ryan_Mercury wrote:

CMDR_Dave... what is that "thing" in your signature? It is highly annoying.. I can't stand seeing it...
Well, i guess u definately need 'more cowbell' then

Greetz,
Agent

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard