TheOne 3had0w
+3|6460|Austria
hi guys,

any idea?
i just use 2 ide hdd with 80GB
is SATA faster?
i heard a method to make 2HDD´s as one ?!
it makes the acces and write time mutch faster.. ?
thx
[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6565|Iceland
post this on the tech forum...
Ghost_of_Viking
+11|6452

TheOne 3had0w wrote:

hi guys,

any idea?
is SATA faster?
thx
SATA is faster

2HDD's as one makes them slower

Last edited by Ghost_of_Viking (2006-08-03 13:55:46)

SGT_Squirtle
+13|6687
IDE = 100mb per second

SATA = 150mb to 300mb per second depending on the model of drive you by

SATA in Raid0 (2 or more drives acting as 1)... not sure of the data transfer rate but I'm pretty sure it's faster than using SATA in IDE mode.

I went from 2 80GB IDE drives to 2 320GB SATA drives and my performance went through the roof as far as disk access was concerned. I also run them in RAID0 so it's nice to look and see that my C: drive is .6 TerraBytes
bigp66
+63|6519|memphfrica-memphis,TN

[n00b]Tyler wrote:

dick
[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6565|Iceland

bigp66 wrote:

[n00b]Tyler wrote:

dick
wow just wow
alpinestar
+304|6567|New York City baby.
Yes get raid controller and put em in raid 0
I got 2 350 gb for 90$  work as fast as raptor.

Last edited by alpinestar (2006-08-03 11:56:49)

alpinestar
+304|6567|New York City baby.

Ghost_of_Viking wrote:

TheOne 3had0w wrote:

hi guys,

any idea?
is SATA faster?
thx
SATA is faster

2HDD's as one makes it slower
wtf are you talking about ?
Greenspan
Fed. Chairman (Ret.)
+12|6458
Yes, if you use RAID 0 you will get one 80GB drive that in theroy is twice is fast. The problem is you need to buy a RAID controller (unless your motherboard can already do it, doubtful). Usually, these plug into an IDE slot., and cost ~$50 for a controller that can do 2-4 drives. Make sure it can do RAID 0.
NasmNLH
+6|6619

alpinestar wrote:

Yes get raid controller and put em in raid 0
RAID0 (Disk striping) will increase your disk performance.  Getting a raid controller is recommended for performance, but windows can do "software raid" so you don't need to buy a controller (at the expense of some potential performance).  The way I see it is cheap RAID controllers probably aren't even much faster than "software raid".  Nice (more expensive) raid controllers that offer "true hardware raid" are extremely expensive, but probably worth it if you can afford it (probably not since you have 80GB HDDs). 

Important Note!

Given a RAID0 setup, if any of the drives in the array fail, then all of your data on the array will be lost!  RAID0 increases your chance of losing data.  If this isn't of concern to you and/or you have good backup strategies this may be non-issue and worth the performance increase. 

Just my $0.02.  I am willing to answer specific questions on the topic.

Good luck,

NasmNLH
TheOne 3had0w
+3|6460|Austria
well thanxX allot..
i hava a mobo with sata2
"ASRock 939Dual-SATA2"

where can i check if it use raid0 ?

and is it needet to use 2 of the same HDD´s?
or is it possible to mix it ..
well i guess i need to of the same.. but .. maybe

Last edited by TheOne 3had0w (2006-08-03 12:13:31)

NasmNLH
+6|6619

TheOne 3had0w wrote:

well thanxX allot..
i hava a mobo with sata2
"ASRock 939Dual-SATA2"

Not to be a jerk, but your manual.  If you don't have your manual and can get a specific model name/number for your motherboard then you can get that information (and the manual) online at your manufacturer's web site.
TheOne 3had0w
+3|6460|Austria

NasmNLH wrote:

TheOne 3had0w wrote:

well thanxX allot..
i hava a mobo with sata2
"ASRock 939Dual-SATA2"

Not to be a jerk, but your manual.  If you don't have your manual and can get a specific model name/number for your motherboard then you can get that information (and the manual) online at your manufacturer's web site.
looooool well there was my fingers faster than the brain ..
well ill check it out thx
general_rookie
Get off my lawn, whippersnapper!!
+6|6666
Do a raid 0 stripe of 2 Serial ATA II hard drives.  Striping is a form of hard drive configuration where data is written to 2 hard drives simultaneously.  Half the data writes on hard drive 'A', while the other half writes to hard drive 'B' all at the same time.  This in essence makes your hard drive writing and reading twice as fast.

Make sure both hard drives are the same size and speed, however different manufacturers.  Two different brands will guarantee they wont ever go bad at the same time.
NasmNLH
+6|6619

general_rookie wrote:

Make sure both hard drives are the same size and speed, however different manufacturers.  Two different brands will guarantee they wont ever go bad at the same time.
First of all, two different brands of HDDs will not GUARANTEE they won't ever go bad at the same time.  I think if you did a study you'd probably find HDD failure is often caused, in part, by the conditions the drive is operating in (hot, dusty, underpowered, etc) and drives purchased at the same time could fail at similar times.  That said, it is at best educated speculation on my part.  Granted, different HDD manufacturers can have different MTBFs (Mean Time Between Failures) for their different drives, but that doesn't mean drives with different MTBFs can't fail at the same time.  What is sure is that different brand HDDs will not "guarantee they won't ever go bad at the same time". 

Secondly, if one drive in your RAID0 fails, that array is disabled and you lose all of your data on it (unless you have it backed up).  So it doesn't really matter if they fail at the same time or not, because one bad drive kills the array.  That is not to say however that you can't still use the one good drive left in a new RAID0 with a new HDD after losing all the data on it. 

Sorry if I'm coming off as a jerk, but I don't want anyone to get inaccurate information. 

NasmNLH

*Edited to be less of a jerk.  Sorry.

Last edited by NasmNLH (2006-08-03 14:31:27)

Ghost_of_Viking
+11|6452

alpinestar wrote:

Ghost_of_Viking wrote:

TheOne 3had0w wrote:

hi guys,

any idea?
is SATA faster?
thx
SATA is faster

what does it look like? I answered the man's question?
but you're right, it should be "them" and not "it"
NasmNLH
+6|6619

Ghost_of_Viking wrote:

alpinestar wrote:

Ghost_of_Viking wrote:

SATA is faster

Perhaps "2 HDDs as one" isn't the most accurate wording of things.  I get the impression most people here are thinking of RAID0.  Viking, is that what you're referring to?  I agree that SATA is faster than IDE.  I disagree with you if you're saying RAID0 is slower than a single disk configuration.  Two identical HDDs in a RAID0 configuration is going to be faster than one of the same HDDs alone.  If you're thinking of "2 HDDs as one" as spanned volumes or "JBOD", then perhaps you may be correct.  I would not be prepared to argue the performance of spanned volumes (JBOD).

Last edited by NasmNLH (2006-08-03 14:10:29)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6691|California

15,000 RPM SCSI drives sould do the trick

theoretically, there is no way to make a HD run faster, becaues they have set RPM levels
Ghost_of_Viking
+11|6452

NasmNLH wrote:

Ghost_of_Viking wrote:

alpinestar wrote:

Perhaps "2 HDDs as one" isn't the most accurate wording of things.  I get the impression most people here are thinking of RAID0.  Viking, is that what you're referring to?  I agree that SATA is faster than IDE.  I disagree with you if you're saying RAID0 is slower than a single disk configuration.  Two identical HDDs in a RAID0 configuration is going to be faster than one of the same HDDs alone.  If you're thinking of "2 HDDs as one" as spanned volumes or "JBOD", then perhaps you may be correct.  I would not be prepared to argue the performance of spanned volumes (JBOD).
aha yes, now I get the point. I thought he ment making 1 160GB partition out of 2 80GB's.

my apologies
TheOne 3had0w
+3|6460|Austria
well i order today 2xseagate baracuda SATA
how can i get them in raid0 ?
set it on the mobo ?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard