Aardcore
+60|6715|USA, Arizona
Definitely the turn of an era if you ask me. Kind of like when the Concorde was de-commisioned for commercial use as a means to fly from destination A to B... they feel like kindred spirits here, yes.

A Very sad day indeed

Next thing we know, A-10's, F-16's (not my favorite, but still) and other machines we know and love, creating that icon of American Military might great... will be set away for retirement.

We can't love machines like we can love a human... but we sure as hell can love them like we love legends.
^AgentHawk
Clear! You're good to go!
+17|6488|"Near Det.", MI
My favorite plane of all time is the B-29 Superfortress. To me, it's still the best bomber their is.
I loved the F-14 and fell in love with it because of the movie Top Gun...and I still love that fighter. It's really sad to see it go, but it will be put to good use.
howler_27
+90|6689
For all of you Tomcat lovers, there is a friggin' awesome tribute video to the plane on www.military.com in the "Shock and Awe" section.  You do have to register to view it though.  Well worth it.
Barney_T_Dinosaur
Time to Die Kids!
+41|6662
such a cool plane, and heres another tribute if anyones interested, i think it was posted on the forums a while back http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 2128183770
howler_27
+90|6689

Barney_T_Dinosaur wrote:

such a cool plane, and heres another tribute if anyones interested, i think it was posted on the forums a while back http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 2128183770
That would be the video that I'm talking about.  Thanks for posting it.  +1
Raptor1
+19|6490
Yeah, the F-14 was the best navy plane out their, now all they have is that F-18, not nearly as cool
K8Kommunist
+26|6568
Only ever got to shoot down two MiGs
howler_27
+90|6689
No doubt, but think of the hundreds that didn't leave the airfield due to the fact that they knew they'd have to face the F-14, lol.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6551|Southeastern USA
easily the top fighter of the last century, the whole top gun school was built in recognition of the fact that a new breed of pilot was needed to take full advantage of it's capabilities, the worst thing about it's career was the fact that it took so long to design an engine capable of meeting the airframes expectations
eagles1106
+269|6585|Marlton, New Jersey.
i dream about flying an f-22
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6722|California

alas, a great chapter in Aviation History comes to an end.
Echo
WOoKie
+383|6722|The Netherlands

berlin wrote:

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go

Highway to the Danger Zone!
Ever since i first saw top gun ages ago, the tomcat is just my favorite plane ever!

Its sad to hear it is taken out of service.

https://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1668/f141rv1.jpg
Sorcerer0513
+18|6544|Outer Space
This is the full version of the vid I think.

Why are they even replacing them with Hornets? According to wiki, Tomcat has grater range, speed and service ceiling. Hornet has a better rate of climb though.

Why replace them now with hornets, when F-35 is coming so soon. Seems like a waste of money to me. But, seeing I am not a pilot nor a politician I guess I am not qualified to comment on either of the issues.

But that plane sure is hot(never thought I'd say that about a plane), and I'm sorry to see it retired .
Poncho
and I'm not a raincoat...
+91|6709|NL
I saw it all...
howler_27
+90|6689
Enter the Super Hornet.  Larger size, engines, better avionics, payload capabilities, and fuel efficiency.  Apparently, the airframe has better lift and loyerability with the new chines and wing layout.  The hornet is a killer, don't doubt it.  However it seems just like that, a hornet. Small, large numbers,  wereas the Tomcat had an animalistic aura about it.  A big bird of prey that'll sink it's talons into anything willing to challenge it.  Gotta give it up to the Grumman Corp.  They've been building heavy reliable planes that have made their marks through many wars.
elite
+89|6716|Sheffield, England
they will sell it to canada....canada needs planes right
Aardcore
+60|6715|USA, Arizona
Ha! Just as even I stated it, the video itself says that this is the end of an era LOL Ah yes, how sadly true that is
howler_27
+90|6689
I don't think they can put floats on a Tomcat, lmao.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard