ClarkVent
+0|6739
I never followed any of the SF threads because I was under the impression this was simply a different game running on the same engine and with the same BF2 theme.

Yesterday, after another day of hard work, I thought it was time to unload with a nice round of BF2. In the game, I hit the Multiplayer button, stop the refresh and type "EA EUR" in the server text box (since I only play the EA Europe servers). 5 Servers. Hmmm. That's weird. From 400+ down to 5.

Now the v1.03 patch kinda screwed up the filters - typing "EA Europe" in the server box would not find anything, while typing "EA Eur" would find the servers I wanted. So I thought maybe something changed and I tried only entering "EA". Nope, did not work either. So I go reload the entire server list. Only a few hundred popped up. It used to be over 4000 so now I was beginning to wonder if there perhaps was a new patch. I close BF2, fire up my webbrowser and surf to the EA site. W00t!!!11one1!eleven! A new patch! And holy crap, it's a 280MB download so I bet they must have solved all the problems the v1.03 patch was suffering from! Maybe the server filters will work again, and the friendly-showing-up-as-enemy problem, and all the other little annoyances!

I download the full 280Mb (after finding a server that's actually faster than 5K/s), and install the patch. It takes a while to patch, but then again it is a huge patch. I fire up BF2, check my BFHQ page and immediately notice there are a few new unlocks. Ok, so far so good! I go to the Multiplayer page and again type "EA EUR". None show up. WTF? Maybe the servers aren't patched yet. Just to be sure I type "EA". There they are. So in fact, instead of solving the filter, it's now actually much worse. Typing "EA Eur" will not find anything. Typing "EA" will find waaaaaaay too many servers and I have to scroll like a mad-man to find the servers I want.

Ok, I find the EA Europe servers - now let's find a map to play. "Strike at Karkand". Nope, don't like that map much. Too many people there trying to get their basic knife badge, or basic explosives badge. Not much game- and or teamplay there. Next server. "Strike at Karkand". Hmmm, next. "Strike at Karkand", "Strike at Karkand" and "Strike at Karkand". What the hell is going on here? All the EA servers are playing Karkand! I join one, and I see only "Strike at Karkand" at the last-played list. Oh well, maybe for a few minutes.

I notice I get killed a whole lot more (and faster) than usual, people are still jumping around like the good little bunnies/dolphins they are. I see people throwing C4 around like there's no tomorrow - in fact, I see all the stuff happening I was hoping a 280Mb patch would, well, patch.

So I close BF2 and fire up my webbrowser again. Read a few forums (fora? forii?) and to my utter disgust I read the patch is mostly so people who bought SF, can play "vanilla" BF2 with all the extra's SF offers them.

So let me get this straight. I just downloaded and installed a 280Mb patch so I can get my ass handed to me in a game by people who bought SF? And these people have an (unfair) advantage over people who didn't buy SF and are not intending to (read: me)? You are telling me the people at EA/Dice/whereever said "screw the people who already forked over $50+, let's try to make even more money"? I downloaded a 280Mb patch for this?

I hope I'm wrong and I've been reading it wrong, but I feel like I've been taken up the ass with a noob-tube by EA. I am not going to fork over more dollars, just so I can enjoy the game again. I thought I bought an enjoyable game when I paid almost $70 for it. They never told me they were going to "inject" advantaged players that will make my game less enjoyable. If I knew that beforehand, I would have never bought BF2 and would have stuck with Tribes Vengeance, or Wolvenstein, or hell, even Freecell.

Please don't tell me to go fork over another $20 (or whatever the SF patch costs) and shut up. I won't. I mean, what's next? They will sell a patch that enables other players to Nuke the entire map? And another paid patch so you can build Nuke-shelters? Fark, maybe take away the ammunition, and have people pay by the bullet.
Sud
+0|6739
Yep, out comes the expansion, while the original game is still in alpha test. Nice eh?

Absolutely no balance issues, bugs, glitches, hack fixes or improvements from the patch. More issues now likely that you gotta TK or kill an expansion to get their gun.

Last edited by Sud (2005-11-23 10:04:36)

ruthless20
+0|6734
Your right man, WTF is this. Same here I went and downloaded the patch and I was like alright... they fixed some true bugs, I fired it up and I saw all these new weapons.... I thought it was a bug. What he hell is this?!?! I love BF2, its like the best game, but this patch.. quote me on this "****ING SUCKS ****S!!!!". Yes dude you are right.... I played solitare insted of BF2 because that is a load of bullshit and now I don't even think I want special forces because I am not giving into this crap.
-------------------
KEEP BF2 THE SAME!!!!!
Chanquad
+-1|6779|Sweden
If you want teamplay and play with less bunnyhoppers.. STAY THE HELL OT OF STRIKE AT KARKAND!
ruthless20
+0|6734
Is that even relevent?
Paladus902
The Last Man Standing
+1|6777

Chanquad wrote:

If you want teamplay and play with less bunnyhoppers.. STAY THE HELL OT OF STRIKE AT KARKAND!
What he said...

But anyway, I will probably get BF2.  I mean I loved the core game as it was fantastic, and I have found some nice servers in the past.  Im not going to give up just because some newbies roll in.  I say lets take the fight back to them !!
Gilgalad
Renaissance Soldier
+2|6769|Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
10 hours of play and you are some expert on game balance?

Anyways, to my more constructive point...

The unlocks are ALTERNATIVES, NOT UPGRADES. Best example, the SF assault weapon FS2000 seems to be slightly weaker than the M16, but has full auto and keeps the grenade launcher. Sounds like a good alternative to the M16, but maybe not to the users of the AK-47 and AK-101.

The new medic gun (G36E) gives another medic alternative but is limited to 3 round bursts (like the M16). This allows 3 round burst lovers to keep that ability while MEC and China. Balance issue? No.

Is it unfair that a person with rank of Sergeant Major has access to all of the original guns and you don't? Definately not. Is it unfair that SF users with higher ranks (Sarge Major gets all 5 unlocks besides flashbang) can get these extra guns? No. At least get 10-20k points before complaining about your lack of certain unlocks.
Sud
+0|6739
10 hours of play and you are some expert on game balance?
Other accounts and time spent in the demo amount to hundreds of hours, plus I've been multi gaming since BBSes were able to jack together several nodes into a Sirdoom/MajorBBS emulated LAN game of Doom, and have my own gaming projects, so I'll thank you to keep your assumptions to yourself, k?

The unlocks are ALTERNATIVES, NOT UPGRADES. Best example, the SF assault weapon FS2000 seems to be slightly weaker than the M16, but has full auto and keeps the grenade launcher. Sounds like a good alternative to the M16, but maybe not to the users of the AK-47 and AK-101.
Complete and utterly invalid blanket statement. How about you try comparing SAW to PKM? SAW is utterly useless. On the flipside, I find the medic unlock useless. I get double the performance out of the default USMC or MEC medic rifles. You'd also be hard pressed to find an anti tank who will take MP5 over Dao (which goes to infer that just because something is different doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't better or worse than something else overall).

I haven't had any exposure to the SF weapons so I can't venture a guess as to their functionality, but I do have this much to offer: with the standard guns and unlocks, EA really didn't have any motives behind them when they designed them. But with the SF unlocks - they have a motive. If EA was smart (from a marketing perspective, not a gameplay perspective) they would overpower the SF unlocks as much as they could possibly get away with to encourage people who don't own the expansion to get it. It's the same type of scheme that games like Anarchy Online run - sure you can play the free account, but look at how gimped you are compared to Mr. UBER expansion pack! But this is speculation until I can confirm the power of the weapons. The trend in the gaming industry is not to mix expansions with vanilla games, simply because the expansions always tend to overpower the vanilla (or else they mix them just to incite jealousy or frustration to force the players to get the expansion).

The new medic gun (G36E) gives another medic alternative but is limited to 3 round bursts (like the M16). This allows 3 round burst lovers to keep that ability while MEC and China. Balance issue? No.
Balance issue? Yes. I am a HUGE fan of the 3 round burst gun that comes with the USMC. I like it loads more than the AR101, and perform significantly better with it. I have always had to accept the fact that if I'm on MEC or China, I will not have access to that type of gun. But now SF users can negate the weakness that is lack of choice? That right there is the root of inbalance, it stems from an inbalance that was present in the original game and is amplified by SF because now everyone but me (and any other vanilla users) can negate that weakness.

Last edited by Sud (2005-11-23 10:54:05)

CBRad929
+1|6775
I have close to 350 hours and I have to agree with the original poster.  At the very least they should have given the option of allowing people that want to play vanilla BF2 to do so.
BaulRag
+0|6725|USA
i agree with the original poster as well.
i bought a game, i liked it. i played it as much as i could. now, i have to cough up more cash if i want to keep playing, as i will get booted from a server when it rotates to a SF map which i do not have.

why can't i just play bf2?
ClarkVent
+0|6739

Chanquad wrote:

Perhaps you didn't read my post correctly. The problem was I didn't have a choice! All the EA servers were playing Karkand and by the looks of the "last-played" list (on those servers), they weren't rotating maps - at all. I haven't fired up BF2 today yet, so maybe it was a glitch that has been solved since. I sure hope so.
ClarkVent
+0|6739
Well, I just checked. First of all, the server filter is totally messed up now. It's much, much harder to actually find the servers I want. And all the EA Europe servers are either playing "Strike at Karkand" or "Devil's Perch" (which I can't play since I don't have SF) and don't rotate to other maps.

Thank you EA, for completely screwing up this game for me and countless others.

Last edited by ClarkVent (2005-11-23 11:37:45)

Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6732

The only thing I've noticed theyve done in the ORIGINAL game is change the M95 crosshair, and theyve fixed the bar showing you how away you are from your next rank.
Buzerk1
+44|6828
I do feel for you guys...
RadeonII
+1|6767
well next they`ll package both games as 1 and resell the whole mess as BF2 Gold or something. this is turning out to be horseshit
_|x|ake|x|_
+0|6743|greenville, sc
yea....its pretty crappy
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6811
About being killed faster.. I noticed that too, and they were using AK's and some older weapons too. Did they lower everyones armor or change the old weapons? It sure seems so. Everytime I spawn I get snipped to death without even seeing the target.
RadeonII
+1|6767
new maps you cant play unless you buy the expantion pack even with ( same version only ) checked.  thats fucking BULLSHIT. I can just picture some suit sitting back behinde his desk wondering how to milk us gamers out of even more money.  whats next??? we`ll have to pay for new maps as they come out ??? pay for patches to fix their BUGGY ass game ?
ruthless20
+0|6734
I should just pirate this game and distribute it to everyone... I seriously cannot explain right now how angry I am... fillin the stars... **** you EA I hope you go ****ing bankrupt you lazy sons of a *****es. ****!!!!!!!!!!
EA ADDS THEIR LOGO TO THE SPLASH SCREEN AND GUESS WHAT?? NOW THE GAME SUCK MORE THAN EVER! ANOTHER **** UP BY EA! HELL YEA!

Last edited by ruthless20 (2005-11-23 13:17:41)

RadeonII
+1|6767
BF2 sf sales pitch  LOL

You worked your tail off to get into an elite unit. If you were going to end up in combat, you wanted to have the best of the best at your side. Heading into a firefight with some greenie fresh from Basic and Advanced Infantry Training is just plain suicide. You trust these individuals with your life. It takes an extraordinary person to crave a job like this, but you just can't sleep at night knowing that somewhere in the world, a monster with an AK-47 and a head full of hatred is planning to unleash unspeakable terror. This is what it means to be an elite soldier.

Battlefield 2: Special Forces builds on the authentic action of the original title. This expansion pack takes all-out modern warfare to strategic locations around the world. Become an elite soldier or insurgent in intense online battles as you unleash the latest weaponry on land, in the air and at sea. With authentic weaponry, a full arsenal of technologically advanced gadgets and night-fighting stealth tactics, Battlefield 2: Special Forces brings you one step closer in your fight for the new world order.
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6785|Canberra, Australia
Hang on guys, its not EA's fault that some of the servers are only playing one map.  That is the Server owners.

Would you rather the Community be devided, that what would happen if they didn't mix the games.  Also some of us can't wait to playwith Zip Lines, Grappling Hooks, and other armies...

AND NIGHT VISION

You people could bitch about everthing.
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6800|Marathon, Florida Keys
arg, i can stick with 250 ranked servers, or i can get shot at by people with guns that i dotn have.....hmm, i'll own them anyway, installing patch in 8 min, gg.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
ClarkVent
+0|6739

IronGeek wrote:

Hang on guys, its not EA's fault that some of the servers are only playing one map.  That is the Server owners.
And who are the owners of the "EA Europe Official" servers, hmmmm?

Would you rather the Community be devided, that what would happen if they didn't mix the games.  Also some of us can't wait to playwith Zip Lines, Grappling Hooks, and other armies...
Fine and understandable. I myself can't wait to play with Nukes. Think that should be an option for those that fork over another $30 or so? Of course not. Create a new game, don't mix and match games. Or level the playfield and give everybody who paid for the game the same weapons.

You people could bitch about everthing.
No, only when we're being screwed. And BF2 players are currently being screwed like an Afghan sheep.
ayb
+0|6746|Orlando, FL
noticing some lovely new bugs however. anyone else seeing shadows cast THROUGH solid objects?
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6839|-
Okay, we get it, you're pissed off. I'm closing this thread until you cool down.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard