Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

Bubbalo wrote:

I'm not trying to muddy an water.  My point is this:

The US refused to ratify the UN Children's Rights Treaty

One of the reasons it did this was to retain the right to execute minors

As such, whilst commenting on the crime committed is appropriate, any who choose to comment on the punishment of execution of a minor being unfair ought first consider that the US went out of it's way to retain the same right.

Clear enough for you?
Apparently it wasn't clear enough for you, you did not answer my question. Please read and try again.

Would the US execute a 16 year old girl for having sex with an unmarried man ?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
']['error
Banned
+630|6615|The Netherlands

Kmarion wrote:

Again it is state law. I really can't understand you trying to draw moral equivalence to this. Answer me this very simple question.

Would the US execute a 16 year old girl for having sex with an unmarried man ? It's not that difficult.

Stop trying to muddy the water.
muddy in the water spotted!

https://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/7645/muddy.jpg
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6532
Again:  The answer to that question is irrelevant to my point.  What would be relevant is:

Would the US execute a 16 year old?

And, according to US Congress, they think they might.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

Bubble wrote:

Again:  The answer to that question is irrelevant to my point.  What would be relevant is:

Would the US execute a 16 year old?

And, according to US Congress, they think they might.
I am asking you, not Congress, stop dodging it.

Your "point" is irrelevant to the topic, hence you have turned it into your agenda. Check the title.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6532
No, it isn't.  If the "death penalty for a minor" part is ignored, it becomes "death penalty for sex", and the Middle East's issues with backward laws are already well known.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

First that can hardly be ignored. Secondly, my point of this post was to ask why things like this receive little attention. If our president uses an naughty word it's all over the news. Do you see where I am going?

Your comment "the Middle East's issues with backward laws are already well known." may be the answer. It's known and accepted.

The sites that show this stuff are far and few between. http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6532
Not accepted, rather not news.  Regardless, my point was that before you criticise Iran for execution of minors, keep in mind the US does also.  Point made, no?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

I understand the point. But it simply does not happen. You are reading into a technicality and are ignoring every bit of moral decency and common sense we US citizens have. It would never be allowed to happen here. (Especially for that crime which I still contend can not be ignored). I have every right to criticize that. In no way is the US similar in that regards with Human rights.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6532
Well then why haven't you ratified the convention?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

Doesn't make a difference. I can't argue the politics of the UN. It's not an effective organization anyways. I have enough common sense to be able to say it would not happen no matter what the convention said. I live everyday with Americans and I know how they feel. It's a distinct advantage I have over you.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6532
So, you're telling me that the fact that the US is the only recognised government not to ratify the convention is the UN's fault?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

Bubbalo wrote:

So, you're telling me that the fact that the US is the only recognised government not to ratify the convention is the UN's fault?
Um not at all? How did you ignore everything else and see that?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6532
Well then what was the UN politics comment about?

And if it isn't going to happen, why don't Congress just sign it?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

I dont know, do you? You have been trying to suggest for some time that it is a possibilty here but you won't answer me directly with your reply when asked. Why ? Obviously you understand it doesn't stand a chance. You are using this as your personal oppurtunity to point out some resoulution that was not signed by the US. It is so transparent it is obscene. You miss the more important facts. The UN does not determine how we run our society. Our state laws have done that .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6532
When have I ever said it was a possibility in the US?  All I have done is pointed out that the US reserves the right to execute minors.  And signing the Convention wouldn't be the UN determining how you ran things, but rather you saying "Hey, you're right, that isn't something anyone should do".
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

You havent said. What "I" said was "you" suggested it. And i believe that's what you have done.

Well then why haven't you ratified the convention?
Regardless, my point was that before you criticise Iran for execution of minors, keep in mind the US does also.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
-=NHB=- Bananahands
+58|6529
Religion of peace.... lol. And Bubalo you are just digging yourself a hole.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6532
My apologies, Kmarion.  It appears I should have better proofread.  That one post, however, was meant to be a restatement of something I'd said many, many times.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6812|Cologne, Germany

where is the coverage on this ? well, didn't you get this from a newspaper site ? that would imply there actually was coverage.
The important question is only the "degree" of coverage, if you will. and since most news organizations are also profit-orientated companies, they probably decided that this story wouldn't sell as well as some other story.
I am afraid it's really that simple.

Another possibility is that the editors simply decided that this story wasn't as newsworthy as other stories they had available. It's always a question of selection. The sad thing about any form of published information is that we do not get to decide what we get to see. It's always other people deciding for us, at least with the bigger news organizations. And those have always an agenda...
BVC
+325|6666
Thats disgusting....fuck sharia!
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6603

Those Mother******s call themselves civilised, Cruel Just Cruel...
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6520|Southeastern USA
when I referred to this on another thread, it was also my understanding that due to her disability she was practically raped

HOORAY FOR THE "PEACE LOVING NATION OF ISLAM!!!"

I could be wrong, as you said coverage is hard to find

as for executing minors, we don't execute anyone for being raped, minor or not, nor does the US make a habit of executing minors for capital crimes, but we may eventually need to, there is no law of nature dictating that all serial murderers will be of legal voting age

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-07-28 05:33:04)

Sgt.Zubie
+77|6546
We don't allow the UN to tell us what to do...you should all know that by now.

Let's say a kid starting around age 12 starts stealing and vandalizing property and generaly always in trouble with the law and in and out of juvenile detention. Say by age 16 or so he steals a gun pulls a home invasion ties up a family and rapes the females then kills them all.

That's why we reserve the right to execute minors. In even in this horrible senerio(sp) the kid may still escape the death penalty.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard