^b0_hazard^
+0|6498
Probably, this isn't the first time you're reading about this kind of stuff, but i'm actually new to such stuff and i'm having problems with BF2 patch; the thing is I installed BF2 v 1.0 just yesterday and naturally I wantwed to update it with patch v 1.3, but after the instalation the game even didn't start up (just black screen and back to desktop - as much as I have read in this forum not the first time people encouter such a thing); so, the first thing that came into my mind is that updating from v 1.0 to v 1.3 in one step is not the right thing to do .. do I really need to install all the patches from the beginning (1.01, 1.02, 1.1 .. ) to finally get v 1.3 or it is problem in something else?
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6754|The United Center
This might sound stupid and basic, but did you install the 1.3 FULL patch or the 1.3 INCREMENTAL patch?

Sorry if this question is insulting as it isn't meant to be, but there are quite a few idiots running around these forums and it never hurts to make sure.
^b0_hazard^
+0|6498
Well, actually I can't answer that question 100% surely because it's not mention there whether it's FULL or INCREMENTAL; I didn't know that there are different types of patches for 1.3 so I just downloaded 1.3 patch from P2P network; I tend to think that it's full, because it is somewhere around 440MB
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6656|Washington DC

It looks like you have the full patch (448M) ... I've had the same problem with a patch in the past, and it was because my video driver was not updated (for me, I think it was patch 1.12 where BF2 suddenly needed an updated video driver).

If the video driver update does not correct the problem, could you post your machine specs?

Edit:  BTW, for the 1.3 patch, the incremental patches caused problems for a huge percentage of players ... so the 1.3 FULL patch that you are using is the correct approach to take.

Last edited by OrangeHound (2006-07-21 06:40:59)

^b0_hazard^
+0|6498
I updated my graphics card but it still doesn't solve the problem; so here is my system :

CPU Intel Pentium IV 3,00 GHz
RAM DDR 1,5 GB PC3200 (400MHz)
Video GeForce 6200 512 MB AGP 8x
HDD 80GB Ex celstor 7200rpm

Actually I have other problems with BF2 too - playing offline is perfect (no bugs), but as soon as it comes to online it doesn't last longer than 10 min; it's whether some mistical "BF2 Memory Errror" or suddenly back to destop and that's it;
OrangeHound

^b0_hazard^ wrote:

I updated my graphics card but it still doesn't solve the problem; so here is my system :

CPU Intel Pentium IV 3,00 GHz
RAM DDR 1,5 GB PC3200 (400MHz)
Video GeForce 6200 512 MB AGP 8x
HDD 80GB Ex celstor 7200rpm

Actually I have other problems with BF2 too - playing offline is perfect (no bugs), but as soon as it comes to online it doesn't last longer than 10 min; it's whether some mistical "BF2 Memory Errror" or suddenly back to destop and that's it;
Memory error?  Have you checked your physical memory for defects?  BF2 will use most if not all of that 1.5 GB, whereas most other programs will use much less.  I'm wondering if some of your high memory might be bad.

Here's Windows Memory Tester if you want to use it.
^b0_hazard^
+0|6498
well, I doubt physical memory has some defects (physical defects), I have had no problems before and memory chips are quite new; what about incresing virtual memery; couldn't that be the point? What do you mena by "bad"?

Last edited by ^b0_hazard^ (2006-07-21 10:53:20)

OrangeHound

^b0_hazard^ wrote:

well, I doubt physical memory has some defects (physical defects), I have had no problems before and memory chips are quite new; what about incresing virtual memery; couldn't that be the point? What do you mena by "bad"?
Let me clarify.  Many times a machine's POST (Power On Self Test) will not do a memory test.  It is rare but memory is sometimes bad, particularly new memory during the first couple of months of use may fail.  The only way that you begin to notice a problem is if the memory is exercized and then you begin to have crashes, blue screens, etc. as more and more of your 1.5 GB of memory is used.

So, basically, you don't know you have bad memory until you attempt to use the bad memory.

BTW, bad memory means that the chip has one or more bits that either cannot be changed, or when they get changed they change themselves.    This happens because a contaminate has gotten on your chip during the manufacturing process or perhaps the chip material has a defect.

Anyway, this is but one possible cause of your problem ... I only brought it up because you mentioned that you saw a "memory error".
Michel@NL
+0|6497|Netherlands
I have the same problem.
It worked all well for months.

Did a few reinstalls, with different upgrades styles. First the complete update 1.3, that didnt work, then a new install with all the incremental updates, that also didnt help

If i delete my bf2 profile in the my documents folder, then the game will start.

Today it didnt start, so i only deleted the Video.con file in the C:\Documents and Settings\Michel\Mijn documenten\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001 folder.
The game is now working, dont know for how long, but it works for the moment.

Last edited by Michel@NL (2006-07-21 11:20:09)

spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6738|Michigan
This may not be much help but try uninstalling bf2 and reinstall. You might want to delete your vid files too like Michel@NL did.

It sounds like 1.3 is working great for you with all the errors and crashing to desktop!!! LOL
^b0_hazard^
+0|6498
nop .. you got it wrong; I was playing v 1.0 with these errors and then updating to 1.3 which caused not being able to play at all
tgust5
+22|6634
i disable my firewall.  it works everytime.  bf2 is running smottly, i never loose connection, and i never get kicked bak to the desktop.  i contacted EA and thats wut they told me to do.
^b0_hazard^
+0|6498
yeah .. it could be a solution, but just partly because if I get BF2 Memory Error saying something about "memory.dll thread 3276 is deallocating main memory thread" I doubt that it has some connection with firewall, but i'l definetely try to do something about firewall
OrangeHound

^b0_hazard^ wrote:

yeah .. it could be a solution, but just partly because if I get BF2 Memory Error saying something about "memory.dll thread 3276 is deallocating main memory thread" I doubt that it has some connection with firewall, but i'l definetely try to do something about firewall
Well again, I would suggest the simple memory test before doing lots of work on your OS and BF2 installation ... two people apparently had problems with memory.dll and it was a bad stick of memory.  Then there was this guy who was having memory.dll "sanity" problems and it turned out he had 2 sticks of bad memory.

I'm only mentioning these because bad memory, though rare, is not unheard of.  It is a simple check.

BTW, there was another person with a cracked copy of BF2 (where one doesn't use a CD) and it was experiencing this error when upgrading off 1.0.

Last edited by OrangeHound (2006-07-21 12:48:24)

^b0_hazard^
+0|6498
so what do I need to do by "simple memory test"; can you suggest any software or other means?
OrangeHound

I already did mention the software for it above in the  "Windows Memory Tester" link.  But, in case you missed it, here it is again.

Again, this may or may not be your problem, but it is a good first step in diagnosing your problem (and much less tiresome than doing lots of OS & BF2 tweaking/reinstalling).

Last edited by OrangeHound (2006-07-21 12:51:30)

^b0_hazard^
+0|6498
sorry .. didn't really noticed that
szrz
+0|6515
1. open the computer ( turn off first)
2.check how many Ram banks are already used ( 2 or 3)
3. if 3 then remove one f* ram piece and bring your ram capacity to 1GB instead of 1.5 GB.

RAM PC 3200 (DDR 400) works in dual channel so make sure u have duo ( 2) pieces of ram in banks mached with same colour. U dont need 1.5 GB of ram if u have grapfics card with 512 MB

sorry for my poor english  and Good Fight

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard