wyattwolf
+2|6525|UK

t_malmsteen wrote:

Lt.Garbo wrote:

Hell all!

I recently posted information about a fix for the Crashing to Desktop when clicking the "Join Game" button.  After months of research, I have discovered that the problem ISN'T EA or BF2 OR the Patches -- it's Windows.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

Enjoy!
The way to fix this issue is to: Check that little box to the left of JOIN SERVER..(Auto Start Box)  Then when you click to play that server and the map etc loads, the game will connect you to server when it is ready.  It crashes to desktop when you click the join server button too soon due to it not being totally done preloading and ready to start.  Yes this is an EA error due to the JOIN SERVER button showing up too soon.
have ticked little box and sure its only been one nights game play for 40 minutes approx but not once did I CTD!! plus I seem to have more CTDs etc when playing AF maps....anyone else have this?
Disodium
+13|6520|Sydney
Check your RAM,
I had CTD until i found 1 stick of 512 out of 1GB was faulty.
Discarded that stick running with the fully checked and OK'd one and have never had a CTD since.

I used:
http://www.memtest86.com/
Vampira_NB
Trying is the first step to failing
+76|6680|Canada Eh?
BS, I d not have service pack 2 installed, and I still crash to desktop
wyattwolf
+2|6525|UK

Disodium wrote:

Check your RAM,
I had CTD until i found 1 stick of 512 out of 1GB was faulty.
Discarded that stick running with the fully checked and OK'd one and have never had a CTD since.

I used:
http://www.memtest86.com/
seriously doubt the many folk who suffer with CTD all have RAM issues!
Disodium
+13|6520|Sydney
Yeah i know, but it worked for me :S
ThePunisher_ITA_
+59|6609
Didn't work for me.
Cold Fussion
72% alcohol
+63|6674|Sydney, Australia

SunTzu wrote:

I applaud the effort, even though it landed like "Eddie the Eagle" (google hunt)
Eddie was cool.
PASSUBY
+30|6639|Louisiana

MrBrain wrote:

ZkylonB wrote:

Maybe the 1.3 patch made it so you connect to the server more.

So you'll get less lag.
haha, hilarous! When will someone code a bittorrent program that connects "more" so I can get faster downloads?

No, but seriously. I have an LCD that shows CPU/network/memory and I've studied it while waiting for "verifying client data". Almost no CPU is used, network lies at <2kB/sec both up and down and memory is constantly increasing until the "join game" button appears. I run Windows 2000 and I if doesn't wait 5+ sec before clicking join game after a new map is loaded it's an instant CTD...
I have noticed the same thing! But, I use XP not 2000.
[LdB:MaxX]
Noobs: For Dummies
+2|6554

t_malmsteen wrote:

The way to fix this issue is to: Check that little box to the left of JOIN SERVER..(Auto Start Box)  Then when you click to play that server and the map etc loads, the game will connect you to server when it is ready.  It crashes to desktop when you click the join server button too soon due to it not being totally done preloading and ready to start.  Yes this is an EA error due to the JOIN SERVER button showing up too soon.
Actually this isnt true.

My CTD's happen before i have a chance to click Join Game. After verifying client data, the Join Game icon appears, but even if you dont touch anything, the game will still crash. Auto Join enabled, still the same issue, it will crash either way.

Also, to the OP, If this was a windows fault, or if their was a way you could stop CTD's via "tweaking" windows, dont you think dice would have let us know in a community announcement? Obviously, these CTD/Server Side Crashes have nothing to do with windows (well, not directly), but BF2 itself.

Although, i give you credit for studying a fix which may have actually fixed it for some people. so +1

Last edited by [LdB:MaxX] (2006-07-08 00:22:02)

wyattwolf
+2|6525|UK
so far the auto join thing has been working for me, takes a little longer to get in to game +1 for ya chap (wel I would plus one ya but cnt find the post...)

seems to still load when you first spawn, as very pingy when moving, I just hit the deck and hope no one is around to get easy kill while waiting for everything to settle down before I can participate in the fun!!

Last edited by wyattwolf (2006-07-08 01:31:53)

Lt.Garbo
Commander God
+41|6662|Denver, CO
==============
UPDATE ON THIS FIX
==============

Ok, so after applying this fix AND not clicking on the "Join Game" button for at least 5 seconds after it appears from the load menu, my GAME HAS NEVER CRASHED SINCE POSTING THIS FIX.  I always join any server and don't see my desktop until I hit the Quit button.

It's been over 1 month, so no CTD's is pretty good I think.
tgust5
+22|6633
All i do to get rid of the crash to the desktop and losind conn. is just disabling my firewall untill i stop playing.
plus 1 for figuring that out though
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6552|Doncaster, UK
Okay, just to add my experiences here. After reading this thread I thought I would try the "pressing ESC" solution, and the "leaving it alone for a bit" approach and didn't have any problems for a while, then over the weekend, bit CTD probs.

I couldn't think what had changed, no windows updates or anything, so I thought I'd give the HDD a quick defrag and lo and behold, a large unmovable file that couldn't be defragged had turned up that had not been there before. On looking at the defrag report, it turned out that this file was my pagefile.sys, my virtual memory for those that don't know.

So I'm turned off VM, restarted the PC, did a full defrag, turned VM back on, wrote a new version of the pagefile.sys and voila, CTD has gone away again.

Seeing as nobody has a definitive answer as to what the solution is, I just thought I'd throw this one in for people to have a go at. Clearly if you have very little RAM, disabling VM is a bad idea, but I believe windows only takes about 300-500Mb RAM to run so if you're above this you shouldn't have a problem carrying out this procedure.

Just my $0.02

Doc
elmo1337
Banned
+186|6565|The real world
uuh I get ctd almost everyday, and I dont even have sp2
wyattwolf
+2|6525|UK
since last post I have not has single CTD and all I did was tick the JOIN WHEN READY AUTO thingy box, no tampering with windows.

not playing loads like some of you guys, but few times a week and was suffering with CTDs, but not anyfor some time now...bet it does it just to annoy me later on....
romanov_666
+0|6499
Typical windows!!! just built 2nd new pc, installed windows and hardware drivers follwed by BF2 and everything was just dandy. Installed windows security updates latter and that was the end of everything gaming wise!!! but thats another story!!!! Will try out ideas and see!!
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6533|Portland, OR USA
erm, from looking at this, you're more or less just openning holes into your PC.  Modder beware.

Personally, I never CTD and am running XP SP2.  My $0.02
Cowbell_Kevin
+8|6550
Its amazing how many people would actually download this, turn off their virus software, and run this "fix".

Wake up people.  If you want to have someone take all of your bank account and credit card numbers, just keep installing stuff because Jo Blow said it was a good idea.
pdanrichey
+5|6813
Well, this had the opposite affect on my PC.  The PC now crashes to desktop when it didn't before.  I was just having problems joining a server...the game would lock for about 15 seconds, play the same sound over and over again, then say that I lost connection with the server and take me back to the server list...wow, this sucks!  I guess I'll have to get the good ol' windows CD out to fix this crap.

Also, I have noticed that PC's with Windows XP Pro SP2 have this problem.  Any other PC I have with Windows XP Home SP2 does NOT have this issue...
pdanrichey
+5|6813
UPDATE!!:

I deleted my BF2 folder in "My Documents."  Everything is fixed!!  No more CTD, no more "lost connection with server" BS.  Haller to all and to all a good haller!
SGT_Sniper
+0|6430
heya all, i was wondering if ppl are still having CTD issues with 1.4 patch. the CTDs are random, it either happens when i join, or when i have just started playing or when i am flying around or shooting stuff. i have done a complete reinstall and repatch, manual PB updates and still get the same problems. any other game i play the situation is totally the opposite smooth and clean gaming. its EA/Dice, why cant they learn FFS.  i will try the deleting the BF2 folder in my docs, but that will be a pain in the a$$ to reconfig. anyway if there is any help plz let me know.
=)HA(=FemaleDriver
+8|6308
Sometimes only our clan members CTD so that makes me believe it's a hacker, depends on the the time of the day, then you can plan on  each member getting crashed (in a row), some more than others depending on their higher points, but it moves in a rotation, that is for sure. Higher scoring members crash more often in the rotation. Ping for most of us is under 32.
B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here
+118|6396|Penrith,Nsw, Aus
lol its not a hax u noob
Pice_of_paper
oBy| Back In Business
+28|6468
are u sure it's safe? it just says that it's deleted som adaware - spyware thing immediately :S
Lord_Palm-Of_Doom
+11|5550|San Diego, California
Hey, just saying you wrote "hell" instead of "hello" at the top.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard