nzjafa
+2|6771
in 07' i'll be going overseas for a year to study with AFS. AFS North Shore always has lots of meetings to prepare you for going away. i was at one of these, and they had all the hosted students (foreign students living here) to talk about their countries. i remember this girl from Latvia was real funny because she talked about all their weird customs, like jumping over fires and rolling in the snow after a sauna. these all seem pretty stupid, yet normal there. but then i thought, to overseas visitors, we must look pretty stupid too. just to note some examples, here are a few things that make up the NZ way of life.

in NZ, a heavily tattooed ass shows status,and bravery in battle. anywhere else, you'd be labelled a homosexual.

to greet a Maori traditonally, you perform a hongi, or an exchange of breath. you put your noses together and inhale the other person's breath.

rolling your eyes and sticking out your tongue is not a childish insult. its a very serious threat. during the land wars it was probably the last thing many british soldiers saw.
https://www.hps.com/~tpg/singapore/graphics/nz-maori-haka1.jpg

in maori culture the hairier your chest is, the braver you are considered. the Te Raupuraha Haka is a very famous and very respected war song and dance, although now it is just performed before rugby matches. here are the lyrics.
ka mate! ka mate!
ka ora! ka ora!
ka mate! ka mate!
ka ora! ka ora!
tenei te tangata, puru-huru!
na'a nei tiki mai whaka-whiti te ra!
a-hupane! a-hupane!
a-hupane ka-upane!
whiti te-ra! HI!
the bit i've highlighted means "this is the man, so hairy!"

according to legend, the sun moves slowly across the sky because the great warrior Maui beat the shit out of it using his grandmother's jawbone.

according to legend, Maui also fished up NZ from under the sea. he had no bait, so he repeatedly punched himself in the face until his nose bled enough for him to use.

unlike the awe-inspiring american bald eagle, our national icon is a bird called the kiwi. everywhere except here this is a name given to a fruit that resembles this pathetic little bird. it stands just over a foot tall, and can't fly. it is regularly eaten by things such as rats and ferrets. it can only lay one egg, because the egg is over half the size of the entire bird.

ceremonial battle dress for the Maori is a skirt woven from flax. no underwear. ceremonial battle dress for the pakeha is a skirt with tartan patterns on it. no underwear. makes you wonder.

the most respected men in the tribe wear long earings, feathers in their hair, and cloaks made out of feathers and animal furs. again, anywhere else you'd probably be labelled a homosexual.

i'm pakeha, and most people think the word pakeha means 'white man'. it doesn't. a Pa is a maori fortress which is built on hills and encircles a small village. we have a native parrot here called the Kea, and everyone hates it. if it gets near a car, it will slash your tires, pull your windscreen wipers off, tear off the sealant around the windows, etc etc, and then use these things to decorate its nest. if you put these two words together you get the word 'pakeha', which basically means 'man who steals from the Pa'. there has always been a long standing joke within the upper class white people here that maoris like to steal things. unfortunately they are all ignorant to the fact that that was how their forefathers got so rich in the first place.

i could go on, but this post is getting miles too long. but if you're still reading please share any stupid customs from your home country. i think it would be interesting to see which country or people practices the stupidest rituals.

Last edited by nzjafa (2005-11-16 18:59:47)

hurricane2oo5
Do One Ya Mug !!!
+176|6770|mansfield
in 07' i'll be going overseas for a year to study with AFS.

but what about battlefield 2 , 3 or maybe 4

lol
nzjafa
+2|6771
well i'll just have to go somewhere with computers. i'm thinking of just not going.... i'd much rather play computer games than have a life changing experience that will be on my CV for the rest of my life. ya know.
hurricane2oo5
Do One Ya Mug !!!
+176|6770|mansfield

nzjafa wrote:

well i'll just have to go somewhere with computers. i'm thinking of just not going.... i'd much rather play computer games than have a life changing experience that will be on my CV for the rest of my life. ya know.
yeh exactly man . bf2 rulez. i think they have net in the jungle nowadays anyways
BladeRunner
+5|6754|UK
The Haka was mostly performed (i think) to start with by women (like battle-cheerleaders in a way, maybe)
Watching the Haka is chilling.

'tis life, 'tis life
'tis death, 'tis death

..all i can rememeber..except the bit about the bloke with hairy legs

Last edited by BladeRunner (2005-11-15 22:54:13)

nzjafa
+2|6771
not in new zealand. the women stayed in the villages, while the men fought. but there are many different hakas for the other polynesian countries, and i don't know about them, so maybe theirs did.
yeah, you got the first bit. the rest mostly talks about the hairy man making the sun shine. it seems a lot more threatening when you don't know that the song is actually about a man hiding in a kumara pit.
but still, its a very chilling and moving spectacle to watch. the all blacks just took on a new haka too... i don't know if we've played you guys since it changed, i don't think we have

Last edited by nzjafa (2005-11-16 18:55:32)

=ST6=SewerMaster
AK Whore
+152|6801|Barrington, RI

nzjafa wrote:

you are welcome to come to my uncle's Hangi here in the US.  you get all the comforts of home, great food cooked in a specially built hangi pit, real Maori dancers flown in from NZ, lot's of alcohol, and a kickass light show.  he even has sheep.

Last edited by sewermasta324 (2005-11-18 16:24:31)

nzjafa
+2|6771

sewermasta324 wrote:

nzjafa wrote:

you are welcome to come to my uncle's Hangi here in the US.  you get all the comforts of home, great food cooked in a specially built hangi pit, real Maori dancers flown in from NZ, lot's of alcohol, and a kickass light show.  he even has sheep.
cheers bro i'll keep that in mind if i ever get enough money to go to the US. thinking of doing camp america after i leave school, so may be over there in the next 2 years, maybe
Chard
+1|6837|Christchurch, New Zealand
Kick ass post man, nothing like another kiwi to tell the world about our customs

What about the more you drink in New Zealand the more your respected
jax
+12|6773
NZ rock my socks. (i live in NZ)

oh yea and LMP is world famous in NZ, wat a stupid saying

Last edited by jax (2005-11-19 21:47:00)

nzjafa
+2|6771
cheers for the good words.

haha good point, but that aint exactly a custom, more of a sad part of our culture...
that and the shoes dangling from every second power line

and yeah, that saying never did make too much sense.
man kiwis just keep appearing all over the place. where u guys from?
Greenie_Beazinie
Aussie Outlaw
+8|6819
I've got a few maori mates
section9
+9|6853|USA
Very interesting post I recently saw something about the maori culture on high def.It was a good view.
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6779|NRW,Germany
I don´t exactly remember why or how but for some reason I recently landed on this site.
nzjafa
+2|6771
lol how on earth did you do that, you're german? and we don't all sound like that guy, don't worry.
and whats high def? is that a TV channel?
just a thought, who has heard of Marmite? the aussies probably have cos it resembles vegemite, except its much more potent.

Last edited by nzjafa (2005-11-20 12:02:10)

Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6779|NRW,Germany

nzjafa wrote:

lol how on earth did you do that, you're german? and we don't all sound like that guy, don't worry.
I really don´t remember. Think I´ve seen the link in another forum or so. I have to admit that the guy sounds pretty impressive although the story he tells is rather funny.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6503

and then, he said shouldnt you pet him first!
whaaaaaaaaaat
><>
+215|5256
ban
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6712|67.222.138.85
closed

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard