Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6604|Greenwood, IN
I said, I feel like that... I don't know how everyone else feels.
ROCKowmCo
I'm your huckleberry
+9|6521|Centrally Located NC
Brizzer,  a couple of thoughts I'd like to share with you if I may:

1.  If you've already signed paperwork the recruiter gave you, then ignore the rest of my post.  Thank you for your commitment.  We're all rooting for you.

2.  Before you sign anything, take it home and call or email someone who's been there and ask them what the hell all the jargon means.  The recruiter is under unbelievably intense pressure from his commander to sign people up for the jobs most people don't want.  Follow theknuck's advice and search online for the job, or "MOS", that the recruiter wants you to sign up for, to get a real idea of what you are getting into.

3.  Whatever you end up doing in the military, it WILL change you, but you have to give everything you've got to get the most out of it.

4.  I was a naive but intelligent kid when the recruiter showed up.  He said I'd be working BACK behind the lines with computers.  Didn't sound dangerous at the time.  I ended up behind the ENEMY lines holding a hand-held computer connected to a laser target designator talking to attack aircraft on the radio while spotting targets for their laser guided munitions.  Not exactly what I bargained for.  But I wouldn't trade a minute of it.  The people you work with will eventually become your brothers, and you will never forget them.

Not in any way trying to discourage you, I just want you to enjoy your new life.  Demand explanations from your recruiter and if it doesn't sound right, ask someone else.  The recruiter will bend over backwards to keep you on track and happy.  Don't worry about pissing him off, after he takes you to the processing station, you'll never see him again.

Thanks again for your commitment to serve.
travisb05
bullseye (+)
+58|6698|U.S
good luck you are going to need to be fit to be in the army
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6643
try the watermelon diet.  I lost 10 pounds in 10 days so i could join back in 2000
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6604|Greenwood, IN
I've updated my log.
sidious1
+15|6541
Brizzer, good luck sir, and God bless.
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6654|Brisbane, Australia

lol, looking at the one of the sigs in the first page, I declare, YOU NEED GRAPHS!!!

Anyway, I would love to join the army of some sort, but I am to, I guess mentally weak, Im a pretty strong catholic and dont really want to kill if I have the choice, I might look into the reserves one day though
RTG_ILLUSION
Like I fucking care
+29|6526
Join up and die.  Im dead.  I died in WWII.  Im fucking dead.  Can you say that?
T4rd
+44|6675|West Point, NY

RTG_ILLUSION wrote:

Join up and die.  Im dead.  I died in WWII.  Im fucking dead.  Can you say that?
lmao.. wtf?

Anyway, I went Active Duty Army Feb. 2005 and am enjoying it so far.  My first dity station has been here in South Korea for a year and I'm about to PCS (leave) to Ft. Benning (3rd Infantry Division) from here in 2 weeks.  It's about to be a big change for me cuz here in South Korea, it's sham as hell and I'm in a garrison unit.  Meaning it's not real hard work and we dont really train for war here because I'm signal (25B is my MOS) and I only work on the computer network here.  At my next duty station, I'm most likely going to be deployed and be in an Infantry unit and one of the few signal guys there.  So I'm going to be in a totally different environment.  Get used to that in the Army.  The Army puts you in a LOT of different situations and you must be able to adjust yourself quickly and not complain about it.  "Overcome and adapt" is the phrase that comes to mind cuz I hear it a lot in the Army, and it's definitely good advice.

Looking back on what I've experienced so far though, it's been fun as hell.  Especially in Basic training and AIT.  You'll make some good friends there and go through a lot together.  Then you'll seperate, go to a new duty station, and make new friends and create some good stories with them.  It's definitely good to be single in the Army though.  I'll let you make your own assumtions on that .  If you're married or in a serious relationship, I feel for you.  I've been married 2 years and only been with my wife and son for 4 months of it.  I'll be back with them in 2 weeks, prolly be there for a few months, then get deployed to Iraq somewhere for another 6 months to a year.  You MUST be prepared for those sacrifices though.  I CAN NOT stand seeing people join the Army, then say "I'm getting DEPLOYED?!  ZOMG.. WHY?  WHY?  WHY MEEEE???!?!!  I cant take that!!."  Then they go claim some medical injury (or injure themselves), so they can get chaptered out of the Army after our government has spent SEVERAL thousand dollars on that ONE person to go through training, feed them, cloth them, and take care of them while they've been in.  I want to beat the living crap out of them when I see that.  And I guarentee that you'll see it too.

Dang.. I really went off on a tangent there.. heh.  Sorry for all the text.  Take it for what it's worth though.  Just telling you my experience so far.  Good luck!
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6643

T4rd wrote:

RTG_ILLUSION wrote:

lmao.. wtf?

Anyway, I went Active Duty Army Feb. 2005 and am enjoying it so far.  My first dity station has been here in South Korea for a year and I'm about to PCS (leave) to Ft. Benning (3rd Infantry Division) from here in 2 weeks.  It's about to be a big change for me cuz here in South Korea, it's sham as hell and I'm in a garrison unit.  Meaning it's not real hard work and we dont really train for war here because I'm signal (25B is my MOS) and I only work on the computer network here.  At my next duty station, I'm most likely going to be deployed and be in an Infantry unit and one of the few signal guys there.  So I'm going to be in a totally different environment.  Get used to that in the Army.  The Army puts you in a LOT of different situations and you must be able to adjust yourself quickly and not complain about it.  "Overcome and adapt" is the phrase that comes to mind cuz I hear it a lot in the Army, and it's definitely good advice.

Looking back on what I've experienced so far though, it's been fun as hell.  Especially in Basic training and AIT.  You'll make some good friends there and go through a lot together.  Then you'll seperate, go to a new duty station, and make new friends and create some good stories with them.  It's definitely good to be single in the Army though.  I'll let you make your own assumtions on that .  If you're married or in a serious relationship, I feel for you.  I've been married 2 years and only been with my wife and son for 4 months of it.  I'll be back with them in 2 weeks, prolly be there for a few months, then get deployed to Iraq somewhere for another 6 months to a year.  You MUST be prepared for those sacrifices though.  I CAN NOT stand seeing people join the Army, then say "I'm getting DEPLOYED?!  ZOMG.. WHY?  WHY?  WHY MEEEE???!?!!  I cant take that!!."  Then they go claim some medical injury (or injure themselves), so they can get chaptered out of the Army after our government has spent SEVERAL thousand dollars on that ONE person to go through training, feed them, cloth them, and take care of them while they've been in.  I want to beat the living crap out of them when I see that.  And I guarentee that you'll see it too.

Dang.. I really went off on a tangent there.. heh.  Sorry for all the text.  Take it for what it's worth though.  Just telling you my experience so far.  Good luck!
awwww man if you liked Korea, you are gonna hate FT Benning.  never been to korea, but everyone I knew that went wanted to go back when they hit the states.  whats your MOS?
T4rd
+44|6675|West Point, NY

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

awwww man if you liked Korea, you are gonna hate FT Benning.  never been to korea, but everyone I knew that went wanted to go back when they hit the states.  whats your MOS?
Yeah, I know it's going to be totally different from here.  But I know I'll be alright.  I'm a 25B:  "Informations System Operator."  I work on computers, computer networks, FBCB2, and a lil communications stuff with SINGARS and such.  I'm pretty sure I'll be able to hang with the grunts there though.  I'm good at PT and am pretty squared away for the most part.

I actually sent you a PM a while back that you havn't responded to about Ft. Benning.  Did you get it?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6643
i cant believe you just said FBCB2oh yeah, i thought i replied man sorry.  FBCB2....lol hell yeah you're in the army.  that damn thing always crashes five minutes after you boot it up.  blue force is better isnt?  My time in FT Benning was 5 months as a basic trainee so I think I have an automatic disliking for that place. stay away from columbus, Atlanta is pretty crunk but its also a 90 minute drive.  ahhh,  the PX is alright and from what i remember the barracks were pretty modern 6 years ago.
T4rd
+44|6675|West Point, NY
Stay away from Columbus?  Lol.. that's where I'm going to be living.  I already have an apartment ready there for my family once I get back.  Is it that bad?

I've already been to Ft. Gordon for 6 months when I re-classed to 25B and been to Atlanta.  Just never to Benning.  I actually havn't worked much with that FBCB2 crap since AIT, we were just trained on it and it seemed like total crap, lol.  I can understand you not careing much for the place since it's where you did basic at.  I'll prolly go ahead and go to Airborne school there since I know it'l be fun and not a prob for me to do.  Plus it's right there where I'm living anway, so why not?  I'm guessing you've been to it..?  I'll prolly be doing WLC there soon too.
ROCKowmCo
I'm your huckleberry
Columbus ain't as bad as some military towns - Fayetteville, N Carolina and Lawton, Oklahoma come to mind.  I seem to remember getting a tattoo at a hole-in-the-wall in Columbus back in the early nineties

Just be prepared for the god-awful heat and humidity.  I remember flying in from AIT for jump school and feeling the humidity on the commercial puddle-jumper when we were still a few thousand feet up. 
Jump School in the summer = piss-poor planning on my part.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6643

ROCKowmCo wrote:

Columbus ain't as bad as some military towns - Fayetteville, N Carolina and Lawton, Oklahoma come to mind.  I seem to remember getting a tattoo at a hole-in-the-wall in Columbus back in the early nineties

Just be prepared for the god-awful heat and humidity.  I remember flying in from AIT for jump school and feeling the humidity on the commercial puddle-jumper when we were still a few thousand feet up. 
Jump School in the summer = piss-poor planning on my part.
oh fuck yeah it gets so hot.  I started basic in the month of august and they had us running laps in that 110+ heat with a gazzilion percent humidity.  One of the few bad times that I could distinctly remember, but, that was basic so ya know....

gonna be in fayetteville in jan, i hear it gets bloody cold.

Lawton definatlely a shit town, you gotta drive 40 miles outside state lines to Wichita Falls, Texas just to get to halfway decent club, and that one sucks.  I swear to god, all Grahams Central or Grand Central titled clubs BLOW
-EcS-Blade
Mr.Speakman
+153|6639|Manchester UK

ImmortalTechnique wrote:

You know you've failed life when you are joining the US army and posting your "Weight Lose Log
" on a video game forum, while incorrectly spelling "loss".
Twat
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6643
20+ lbs being loss in two weeks is borderline dangerous.  but, it is mostly water weight I can assure you, keep up the good work man and you gotta learn to love running
instead of 5 miles a week why dont you try running a mile and a half or so a day until you're able to pick up a little bit more each time.  also, if you smoke, dont.  stay away from carbs, dont eat 4 hours before you goto sleep for the night.  drink a lot of water and take vitamin B12.  dont skip meals because that will fuck up your bodies matabolism.  but run run run run run man, not only to lose weight, but to get used to it because chances are you will do a whole buttload of running every morning.  I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE running man, but ya gotta do it not only for the army but for yourself.  I wouldnt be the specimen of human perfection I am today if it wasnt for the condition the army got me in. jokes. but all this shit is advice that was given to me over the years and someday your gonna catch yourself saying it to somebody else.  just dont give up man.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2006-07-17 14:56:41)

JohnClark
+5|6585|Groningen-The Top of Holland
I was in our little, heavy army. I had a good time there, sure you will if you wanne go for it.

Have a good life m8.
ROCKowmCo
I'm your huckleberry

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

gonna be in fayetteville in jan, i hear it gets bloody cold.

Lawton definatlely a shit town, you gotta drive 40 miles outside state lines to Wichita Falls, Texas just to get to halfway decent club, and that one sucks.  I swear to god, all Grahams Central or Grand Central titled clubs BLOW
If you've been through a winter at Ft.Sill, then Fayetteville will be a breeze.  You know, my great-uncle told me once that the coldest place on Earth is Ft. Sill, Oklahoma.  He's a retired full-bird who was in WWII in Germany, then Korea, and stationed in Alaska and various other places.  But he said the rain and ice combined with that awful wind was the harshest winter imaginable.  Personally I think it's a toss up between Ft. Sill and Hohenfels, Germany.

I remember a strip joint in Lawton called the China Dragon or Red Dragon or something.  All the girls were the skanky rode-hard-and-put-up-wet type.  But right down the road was a little joint with down-home corn-fed decent looking girls from Oklahoma University trying to make a buck.  They all seemed really sad though.  I think that's what turned me off to strip joints completely.

Sorry Brizzzer for the thread hi-jack.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6604|Greenwood, IN
Well, i've update my first post with current update.  I got a bit distracted these last few weeks but everything is back on track.  I've gotten together with my recuriter to do PT training every Thursdays.  But, it seems I need a little extra help to take the weight off.  Thats were Stacker 2/3 comes in.  But, still looking forward to going in.

Post Updated: Here

Also I have no had a PC ether lol so anyone care to update me on the BF2 scene?
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6577|Florida
Congrats on joining up Brizzer, I myself am enlisting to the Air Force next month.  Some of you may crack jokes for going to the Chair Force but I dont mind at all .  +1 for enlisting and being a fellow Indy resident.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6569|Portland, OR, USA
bf2? havent missed much, glitches, some CTDs.. pretty much the same..

it sucks that people have to join the army as a final resort in this country. heh american dream...
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6486|Melbourne

Im also joining the Army, Austalian Army that is Would like to train for rifleman then onwards to Scout/Sniper, i already have a ghille suit i use regually, but i have cert 3 in I.T. so i might be put into the Computers side.  good advice on the running to, learn it. live it. love it. thats my moto.

Last edited by R3v4n (2006-08-30 21:38:55)

~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
LoonykStephane
+34|6536|Kingston,Ontario,Canada
Good luck,
               as for the weight loss...here my input on it.
Join in  15 Feb 2002 at 180 pounds 6 ft 3 in

Now     31 Aug 2006 at 265 pounds 6 ft 3 in

I join at 22, I was a skinny boy with a 2 day old daughter. Nothing in front of me...no money, no house and a kid to feed.
Now I make $ 49 985.21 per year...got 3 kids, a house, a Van (3 kids no choice) and I can look at myself in the mirror knowing that I did make the choice of my life in Nov 2001...JOIN THE ARMY.
If you think you can do it....don't join...BUT if you know you can do it...ARMY is your home.
It's all about the ATTITUDE...know your role...give all you got, cause it's all coming back to you
Dieselboy
Flicker of beans since 1986
+87|6549|Reading, Basingrad
Go for it you won't regret it!!

I signed up for the british army on my 18th birthday and was posted to 5th AB
3 years later applied for the Pathfinders and passed a complete bastard 5 weeks of Cadre.
Served with the PF in Sierra Leone and Kosovo
Left in 2002 as a Sgt and loved every minute of it

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard