INCSOC
Member since 1984
+113|6699|Denver, CO
Yes and No...

Lately, i've been really trying to improve my score per minute ratio, because the road to Sergeant Major is VERY long, and I would like to get there faster.  I've been exploring a lot of options on how to do this. 

Karkand Medic.. yes, very effective but it gets old REAL quick.  Others are not very appealing either.. ie... spawn camping alleways in armor, circling tv station in a chopper, grenade spamming karkand, etc... Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing those things... i just don't like to do them myself... So, I tried some of those 'High Points' servers.  I'm talking about those 16/64 maps where the games last a lifetime.  What i found out is this:

Pros:
You can potentially get really high scores. 
If you're good, you can often dominate the whole map.  Armor/Chopper can potentially last a whole hour without dying once.
You can feel like you really matter and are actually playing the game instead of dying every bloody second.

However, if you think you can just jump on one of these servers and start kicking ass ... think again.
Cons:
1.  Balance... or lack of it... is very frustrating on a lot of these.  Very often the teams are heavily outweighted towards one side on these servers.  Most often on maps like Karkand and Sharqi the games only last 3-5 minutes and the round ends with 10 points as the high score.  Waste of time in my oppinion.

2.  Action?? Where is everyone??  This happens a lot on maps like Wake Island and Kubra.  If you get stuck on Chinese side... you may never see the enemy.  The lucky 2 will grab the J-10s and if they're ANY decent that round will be over before US even makes it to the island.  Same on Kubra, substitute planes and island accrodingly

3.  Requesting a supply drop.  hello?? COMMANDER??? this is the most common.   Nobody wants to be commander on these.  Well... neither do you.  If you become an action commander... guess what... no points for you.  You may dominate the game and kick ass... or sit back and watch your bases get raped... it don't make one bit difference for the exception of win/loss... this one SUX

4.  YES! 10 more tickets... it's been over 2 HOURS!!! ...... whaT?!? .......... WtF?! ........... why is taht tank flying?! ........... CONNECTION PROBLEMS?!?!?!?!? )!(@*)$&*!))@(($#*)$(@* SON OF A!!!  ... yeah... i know...

The right combination:
So... all it comes down to really, is just choosing the right server and it can really be worth your time.

a.  Choose a server with somewhat balanced teams, it doesn't matter who wins or loses.  The game will last a long time and everyone will get tonns of points.
b.  Choose the right maps, Operation Clean Sweep, Dragon Valley, Fushe Pass all have flags spaced not too far away from each other.  Most of your points on these will come from capturing and recapturing bases over and over.  If both teams have a squad of at least 3 people that work together, on maps like dragon valley you rack up MAJOR points REAL quick.
c.  RUN AWAY! Don't die... Only 15 seconds to respawn? yeah... well another MINUTE to get back to where you died, meanwhile whatever killed you already recharged, did something useful, AND is waiting to kill you again.   if you stay alive you can make MORE points faster.  You neutralized the base and hear that arty... just GO... you can come back later.  The key point here is WORK FAST.  You really get the hang of it after a while.
d.  Pick your kit to serve your purpose.  Remember you need to move fast and stay alive.
My favorite options:
1.  APC/Engi (With a squad or without) - Really fast... owns smaller threats... only real concern is Helis/Planes/and good Tanks
2.  Spec ops / AT squads - Nothing like a buggy full of spec ops... taking bases... blowing Tanks/Apcs to smitherines... only real threat is Heli and if you encounter a tank/apc while going TO a base hehe... oops
3.  Solo sniper or Sniper/Support combo - those claymores are SICK.  There's always a place to hide to cap a flag.  With 2 claymores the only concern you have is Arty and Heli.  Armors and APCs usually can't find you and you can just run away.  Just remember to pick a good spot.
4.  HELI! but you gotta play wisely ... you can jump bases like a friggin grasshopper on crack.  I like to neutralize 3/4 of all bases and then just go around killing the enemy trying to recap them and capturing an occasional base or two.  If you're good and flying and most importantly LANDING lol... you'll have no problems at all besides another Heli/good plane pilot and an occasional good shot by a Tanker or AA (hardly a concern).  Just remember to keep the balance without owning the other team... otherwise you're just gonna piss the other team off and they'll start TRYING to kill you.  You don't want that.  You want a long game with LOOOOTS of points

Well... there we are.  Let me know what you guys think
spawnofthemist
Banned
+1,128|6662|Burmecia, Land of the Rain
You have been awarded: Karma Point!

Last edited by spawnofthemist (2006-07-17 11:06:34)

SoC./Omega
+122|6561|Omaha, Nebraska!
That wait til SGT Major is gonna kill me also, i cant wait til i finish the dam rank. Thanks for the tips ill go try them!
INCSOC
Member since 1984
+113|6699|Denver, CO

spawnofthemist wrote:

You have been awarded: Karma Point!
spasibo
My_pet_squirrel
Have you seen my nutz?
+126|6640
Infantry only 16 player 16 maps size = perfect play like karkand  witht he rkpm I had 63 kills a 6 deaths like 3 days ago i died a hell of alot but there was always a medic =p
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6781
Instead of 16/64, just go 32/64. Nice long rounds, a bit more breathing room, and a much bigger chance to play armor/heli/jets. Make sure you have an hour or two to play them. Also, make sure to remember the server name (in case you get kicked).
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6611|Reisterstown, MD

Actually, I found the time between FSgt and SgtMaj to go quite fast and I usually don't play on high point servers and what not.  I think I need like 6,000 pts for SgtMaj which is nothing compared to the 30,000  I needed just a few weeks ago.  I think if you are consistent, you will widdle down the pt total without you even knowing it.
[-CGZ-]BioRaveN
Don't make me toothpick you.
+31|6725|The beautiful hills of Sharqi
I can get around 80-110 points a round on sharqi 64/64 All you gotta do is cap flags, revive people, and kill people...
]GoD[JiN
+4|6580
2 hrs in a 16/64 server ....what 150 pionts ?
2 hrs in a 64/64 server play 3-4 maps at mebe 50 pionts a map ......200-250 pionts \o/

seems like a waist of time pionts wize but yess ,you do feel like you count more in a smaller memberd server bit slow going at times 16/64 one side seems to spend all its time re-caping the caps you just got ......ring-a-ring-a-rosie

its more down to witch oen do you like playing the most witch is more fun to you ?
iPoon.be
Internet Poon
+145|6550|Belgium

]GoD[JiN wrote:

2 hrs in a 64/64 server play 3-4 maps at mebe 50 pionts a map ......200-250 pionts \o/
I had 230 in my last high points round :p
INCSOC
Member since 1984
+113|6699|Denver, CO

]GoD[JiN wrote:

seems like a waist of time pionts wize but yess ,you do feel like you count more in a smaller memberd server bit slow going at times 16/64 one side seems to spend all its time re-caping the caps you just got ......ring-a-ring-a-rosie

its more down to witch oen do you like playing the most witch is more fun to you ?
well no... that was the whole point of this thread... I can easily get about 160-180 points per 1 hour game, or 320-360 in 2 Hours.  Thats about 3 PPM.  On the average my 64/64 Games last 15 minutes and i get about 25-30 points... which is 200-240 in 2 hours. Thats about 2 PPM.  thats a 33% difference.... pretty substancial to me.

See the thing about the shorter games is that you spend more time dying/running to battlefield and less time actually making points.  To put it in perspective for example:  On the average it takes me 15 seconds to spawn and 20 seconds to make it to the battlefield.  so thats 35 seconds per death.  I die on the average 5-6 times per game.  thats 210 seconds or 3.5 minutes.  23% of my average game is spent dying and running to action... lame. 

On the HP server you don't die as often i die maybe 8-10 times max per whole game.  It does however take a bit longer to get to where you left off or basically to another point so.  15 seconds to spawn and 40 seconds to action.  thats 55 seconds per death.  440 - 550 seconds or 7.33 - 9.16 minutes.  which is 12% - 15.3% spent dead and running.   once again... pretty substancial to me.

Point-wise this is very benificial, without posessing some extraordinary button jamming skills.  But like you said... it's whatever fun to you.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6776|United States of America
If there was negative karma I would give it to you.
Scratch[USA]
+105|6567

iPoon.be wrote:

]GoD[JiN wrote:

I had 230 in my last high points round :p
How long did it last?
Doing the math, it still works out to be the same as playing 4 - 5 64 player rounds in the same amount of time.  No advantage in High Points servers except for getting awards with time requirements.
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6797|Kansas, USA
IMHO, The high point servers do not translate into more points per minute. They just translate into more points per round. But, since the round takes longer there is no benefit, except one.

The high point servers are perfect for getting those difficut In A Round requirements for some of the badges.
INCSOC
Member since 1984
+113|6699|Denver, CO

Talon wrote:

Instead of 16/64, just go 32/64. Nice long rounds, a bit more breathing room, and a much bigger chance to play armor/heli/jets. Make sure you have an hour or two to play them. Also, make sure to remember the server name (in case you get kicked).
i guess the lesser of two evils.  a pretty good mix of the two.

Miller wrote:

If there was negative karma I would give it to you.
may i ask why?

Psycho wrote:

IMHO, The high point servers do not translate into more points per minute.
see my reply to GoDJin... if you do it like i say in my original post... it does

Last edited by INCSOC (2006-07-17 12:23:03)

horny_trojan
+39|6731|Los FUCKING Angeles

]GoD[JiN wrote:

yeah, see what psycho said, I think these high points servers exist b/c of the "xxx kills in a round with xxx kit" requirements for badges.  Given two hours per round, you can meet these requirements in almost any kit.

Last edited by horny_trojan (2006-07-17 12:19:52)

alpinestar
+304|6616|New York City baby.
There is no spoon.
frankhamand
=MIA=
+17|6595
high point servers are no good for SPM, just for highest score per round, you get score slower but games last longer, so you get more points per round but less rounds in, i never play it, so boring, 64 player gets me a lot more points anyways
Cursed You
+64|6608|Idaho
I played on warlord server that was "HIGH POINTS LOL", but it was 32/32 on a 64 player map.  I was commander and well if we had won, I'd of gotten 176 points.  It lasted forever, which was good commander time, but I still like the action packed rounds.
tvmissleman
The Cereal Killer
+201|6679| United States of America
i got 215 points on karkand as commander on a high score one time
JaM3z
Banned
+311|6731
i get like 100+ points everytime i play with elmo,terror, spawn and milk infact we all userally get a 100+ points a round just get a squad together of people who you play with alot and rent a TS server, good comms = good fun......

gratz to elmo for becomming a sergent major
Chao2
+8|6735|UK(stats says usa by mistake)
Got 179 on Sharqi on Sunday, round lasted forever, 10 vs 10 and I was a medic. 50 kills and the rest revives/heals/caps. Was insane, mainly good for getting best round scores and medals etc. Having huge best round scores makes me feel good for some reason lol.
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6813|Jupiter
Do High points servers work? Im going to find out!
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=35308
Nabraham
EWWW!!! Thats Nasty!!!
+18|6704|Enon
Although i think the high point takes forever servers can be fun to play on some times, i still have fun playing on normal length games.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard