AK5489
+16|6519|US
engineer and occasionally counter sniper if someones being gay and picking off people at uncap
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6754|London

Sniper, to claymore the assets and I need 100 hours for my badge
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Ir0n-M@n
has the greatest stats on earth
+125|6756|Germany
always pretends on the situation:
mostly i just take the kit with which i need some hours until i have my expert.. when my utilies get destroyed i will try to kill the bastard, when i die i will repair them..
when there are any soldiers coming.. same procedure then a kit with a pwning weapon
when there is a vehicle at the flag -> spec ops or anti tank

oh:  on sharqi as mec there is obviously only one good choice: sniper and mining the tower xD pwnz
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6707|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
whatever kit im going for expert , currently going for expert engy so
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6750|Toronto | Canada

a fly wrote:

LSD_Wash wrote:

It seems most commanders I see posting talk about being engineers and occasionally snipers.  I am almost always special forces when I'm commander because I tend to keep an eye out for baddies coming toward assets.  I generally have a better chance again ANY approaching threat with special forces since it has a decent gun and I can use C4 if the baddies are in a vehicle or god-forbid, they steal our tank or APC.

So, the value of the engineer kit is obvious (repairs), the sniper kit is obvious to an extent (claymores warding off C4 guys), and I hope I have explained the Special Forces value, but I see no point in commanders being medic, assault, or AT.  Anyone disagree?

Thoughts?  Comments?  Insults?  Witty banter?
oke, first of all, do you only play karkand? cause there a tank/apc is a big deal, but any level with choppers/planes its not.

things handy when commander:

medic - if a teammate is wounded, you can easely see it on the map.
engi - repair assests, protect the base with mines, see health of cars on the map.
ammo - well, i cant think of anny, cause with 1 bullet shot there is a red thing around the person on the map.
anti tank - defend a flag, dao = infantry pwnage, sraw is anti armor......
sniper - prevent noobs from knifing you, so they can wank to it later that night.
spec ops - you sayd it, and c4 to protect a flag if needed
i got the feeling a forgot a kit, but its problebly useless as commander........ *hind hind*
assault 
Bevo
Nah
+718|6533|Austin, Texas
I use a number of kits.

Sniper on smaller servers. I can usually set up a perch at a FAR distance and pick off a noob or two when I dont need to pay attention to the command screen.

Anti-tank. To kill that little spec-ops in the buggy heading towards the uncap.

Special Ops. On a smaller map I may head across the map and kill the opposing commander's toys. At a choke point I may chuck some c4 around and wait for the pour soul who tries to cap it.

Engineer. Rather obvious. Mines for protecting bases, and that handy wrench thing.
Chuckles
+32|6559
I go engineer on all maps but Sharqi so I can repair my assets.  On Sharqi I use the sniper kit so I can claymore the door to the stairs and the ladder that goes up to the flag.  And you can go up to the roof and pick guys off that are coming your way if you catch them during a scan.  If I can hold the TV Station we win about 98% of the time, so I permit myself one selfish supply drop right at the beginning of the round so that I've always got claymores.  Then I hide on the stairs and set more if I see them go off.  If they come at me with their helicopter from the roof I reset my claymores so it gets them coming down the stairs.
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6717|Antarctica
Usually medic, AT, or engi.  The rest are pretty useless for commanding.

edit: and also Spec ops to plant traps on flags.

Last edited by VeNg3nCe^ (2006-07-12 15:33:01)

Arcano-D.E.S
+13|6558
Really depends on the map and the situation. I default to engy for repairing assets. If it is an armour heavy map I will play engy and grab a transport. I like to stay behind the action but close enough that I can rush forward and fix tanks and other vehicles. If vehicle theft is going on like the MEC chopper at Sharki I will play Spec ops to booby trap the chopper to keep it out of enemy hands. On smaller sized maps I may need to fight so Medic or Support for those (just to keep people up and supplied.)

I really don't see any reason that a commander should be AT or Sniper. Neither of these really does anything for the team except in very select situations.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6703|Devon, England
im needed to much on my team to just sit back and watch the battle, hoping that people follow my dvice and orders.

i am one of the few combat commanders that cna do BOTH at the same time, and i do a pretty good job, usually ending up with most of the kills on my team.

i dont play commander THAT much.

i also completly SUCK at placing artillery in the right places. the arty always goes where i dont want it to...

so il play with whatever kit is needed at the time. if im not needed, then engy,

Last edited by FFLink13 (2006-07-12 16:13:24)

rugburnv2.0
+2|6515|MN
I'll agree that engy is the best, but lately I've noticed Assault throws the spec ops guys off - you can noob toob them in the buggies or hit them at range with some power, with the plus of having body armor.  The grapple helps you get into those hard to reach places, too.
metal1215
+18|6657|Varsseveld, Netherlands
I think commanders should always be engineers, they need to repair their own assets
the only things comms should be doing are: - giving orders
                                                                - providing support (uav, supplies, vehicle drop etc.)
                                                                - protecting/repairing their assets
                                                                - giving squads information/tips about how to move to a position
                                                                   etc.
bullit
Tank Troll
+71|6701|London, UK
On sharqi as USMC i defend the TV station by myself as a sniper planting claymores at the flag and making sure those damn MEC dont get their hands on it or else iam dead and so is the rest of the US team without the armor or chopper

I reload myself with claymores by running up to the helipad and giving myself ammo with my supply crates and i guess you kno the rest of the story...

On other maps iam sniper and just sit in a vehicle getting my transport requirements up at the uncappables

Last edited by bullit (2006-07-12 16:00:35)

Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6745|Singapore
Specops, I plant c4 at any flag and if it turns grey/white, boom.
fotrsaken
+1|6522|NYC

LSD_Wash wrote:

It seems most commanders I see posting talk about being engineers and occasionally snipers.  I am almost always special forces when I'm commander because I tend to keep an eye out for baddies coming toward assets.  I generally have a better chance again ANY approaching threat with special forces since it has a decent gun and I can use C4 if the baddies are in a vehicle or god-forbid, they steal our tank or APC.

So, the value of the engineer kit is obvious (repairs), the sniper kit is obvious to an extent (claymores warding off C4 guys), and I hope I have explained the Special Forces value, but I see no point in commanders being medic, assault, or AT.  Anyone disagree?

Thoughts?  Comments?  Insults?  Witty banter?
u said they probably steal an apc or a tank so why not be Anti Tank
fotrsaken
+1|6522|NYC

bullit wrote:

On sharqi as USMC i defend the TV station by myself as a sniper planting claymores at the flag and making sure those damn MEC dont get their hands on it or else iam dead and so is the rest of the US team without the armor or chopper

I reload myself with claymores by running up to the helipad and giving myself ammo with my supply crates and i guess you kno the rest of the story...

On other maps iam sniper and just sit in a vehicle getting my transport requirements up at the uncappables
u suck because your a statpadder. Well i guess i stats padded yesterday and got basic resupply:)
iPoon.be
Internet Poon
+145|6541|Belgium

Paco_the_Insane wrote:

i agree with fierce, engy is the best. and if your in a transport, you can sit next to the asset and command and it will repair while you command.  i also like to put mines down so the spec ops cant drive into it with a jihad jeep
Also, if you use scan, you can see when theres a spec-ops moving to your assets, as an engi its best to throw grenades there or snipe hime with a HMMWV or something.
voltage
+46|6852|Sweden
Spec-ops.

I use supply drops to repair assets. There's always more supplies available than anyone ever needs, they reload quickly and are always available.

And of course I don't drop it until the enemy have been taken care of.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6855|Reykjavík, Iceland.
I used to be engineer always as commander to repair, but im trying to balance out my kits (< look at my stats :S=
Ducksteina
Choleric groundpounder
+42|6557
I'm always engineer when commanding.
Why?
- repairing assets
- getting more time with the engineer kit
- defending base with mines
That's it.
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6535|Little blue planet, milky way
I must confess, I also tend you use whatever kit I need time on (or kills if I'm going for a badge). But that's not to say that there aren't OBVIOUS advantages to choosing your kit for tehe benefit of your team.

But let's keep in mind that a commander doesn't ALWAYS stay back and do nothing (altough he most frequently SHOULD).

Agreed, on maps wher your assets are under constant attack, it's nice to be engy... And being engy gives you the ability to see health on your vehicles, so you can more easily determine which of your vehicles are most depserately in need of a supply crate.
Same thing goes for support and medic, you can see health or ammo status. It's PARTICULARLY good to be medic on infantry maps like sharqi and karaknd, because then you can see if the freindlies in the area you want to arty are dead or not. You dont have to wait the precious 15 seconds for their corpse to dissapear to be sure not to get TKs. Agreed, ammo status isn't exactly critical to see, so I'd normally bypass the support class when I'm commanding.

Spec ops.... I dont think so.. I'd choose the kit because I need the time, not because it's most practical. If you're a defensive commander, you'd do better to lay claymores or mines, as you wouldn't have the time to focus on your C4 traps.

Assault. I can't really see this one as a defensive commander either... Sure he's great as frontline commander. Same as support, but no.. defensive commander, I see no benefits to your team from using the support class.

Sniper ? Well, for the claymores I suppose... Otherwise, again a useless kit for commanding.

AT: Well, I suppose untill the new patch is ready, it's nice to be able to shoot out the enemy cartillery before it destroys your assets... But it's tough to keep track of commanding AND defending the assets, so I'd have to say.. no... Go for engy and repair instead.

There may be SOME maps where there's a benefit to being some of the lesser played classes. For instance, If I'm china CMDR on Dalian, I like to hide in the buildings at main entrance, and GL infantry that comes by to take the flag. But more often I need to be AT to take out cars or the likes. But again.. Engy is just as efficient with his nades and mines.
On the small Zatar map I tend to go sniper as commander for the claymore defends and the chance to hide AWAY from the flag and still be able to take out anyone approaching it.

In conclusion, if you're a defensive commander, go for engy/medic.

As for frontline commanding.... Well, chose whatever kit you usually use when you're on the front lines... Simple as that.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard