M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6725|Medicland, sthlm

OK, so who am I to write this post? I’m new to the game, my stats suck, I got no ribbons, and all that crap, but still, I’m an excellent machinegunner. Why? Well, let’s say I understand the function of the support class.

Along with that, I was a machinegunner during my military service. Along with acting as fire support in several other games, and always playing for the team, not for the kills, I got a pretty good grasp on the subject.

So you’ve decided to go for support? Good for you, welcome to the family… But, before we accept you into our triggerhappy brotherhood, there are a few things you have to keep in mind, namely the 4 rules of the support class.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1: You are not a killingmachine: Surprised? Well, it’s true. You are NOT a killingmachine. You have the potential to be one, but by default you are not.

#2: Ammo has a purpose: You think those ammo-bags are a nifty thing to carry around? Indeed they are, share the happiness.

#3: You are a roadblock: Your purpose is to deny enemy infantry access. Think of yourself as a bouncer.

#4: Machinegunning is for cool people: Not everyone is a good machinegunner. Accept that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will now delve deeper into each topic. Hang on kitties, this ride isn’t for the weak.

#1: You are not a killingmachine:

It’s true. Your main purpose is not to get kills, your main purpose is to help your other teammembers get kills. Your machinegun is decently accurate, and you’re probably more skilled at handling it than I am, but if you’re out to get a shitload of kills, grab a n00btube and head on in, guns blazing.

If you are good enough you can be a killingmachine, but remember, you got low stamina, you need to get to at least medium range to be effective, and for god’s sake, only fire from anything else than prone when the enemy is at point blank range, your machinegun doesn’t like it any other way.

#2: Ammo has a purpose:

Ammo was invented for one reason and one reason alone. The purpose of ammo is to be depleted. Shoot things! Shoot lots and lots of stuff! And when you’re not shooting, make sure that your teammates have the means to keep shooting. Bullets win wars.

You get points for dropping ammo, hence, dropping ammo is a good thing. Advance to the frontline, but before you get into the thick of it, drop your ammo bags so your comrades can pick them up. You get points, they get bullets and grenades, they deliver said munitions to the enemy, enemy dies, everyone’s happy. It’s that simple.

There’s another neat twist to ammo bags. You are the machinegunner, yes? Shooting us fun, yes? Ammo is not a constant? Well, in your case it is! You have a machinegun and UNLIMITED ammo. Repeat after me: I have a machinegun and UNLIMITED ammo. This is a good thing. Having been a machinegunner during my military service, I know the weight of ammo. Ammo is heavy, and you can only carry so much of it. But, in BF2, ammo weighs nothing. You have an unlimited supply. The only excuse for a machinegunner to let his weapon fall silent is that he’s out of ammo. Which is impossible ingame. Know where I’m going?

#3: You are a roadblock:

Murphy’s first law of combat is: “Incoming fire always has the right of way.” This translates into, whenever someone is shooting at you, get out of the way. This applies to the enemy too. If you shoot at them they either:
A – Get out of the way.
or
B – You score a kill.

Simple mathematics.

The great thing about the machinegun is it’s ability to deliver a lot of bullets into an area in a short period of time. If it’s raining bullets, the enemy won’t go there generally. This gives your team the option to sneak up, pop a few grenades into the area you’ve contained the enemy to, and thereby score for your team. Maybe you’ll even get an assist.

Denying the enemy access to an area by raining buckets of bullets on them is a good thing.
Needless to say, if you just spray and pray, you’re a sitting duck, But firing in bursts, and lot’s of them, has the same effect, only with excellent accuracy. This is a good thing.

#4: Machinegunning is for cool people:

One thing I’ve noticed about a good machinegunner (IRL that is), he’s a mellow guy. Keeps his cool. Hand a machinegun to another grunt and there’s bullets all over the place, BRATATATATATATATATATATA!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Hand a machinegun to an experienced gunner, and you’ll have a shitload of bullets in all the right places. Keep your cool. Take your time. Don’t let the trigger get it’s grip. Bullets are meant to be dispensed, but let each bullet have a purpose.

That is all. Feel free to comment, these are just my thoughts on the subject.
section9
+9|6818|USA
lol
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6735|Dallas
Feature Post Request!
divided
Clear!
+3|6744
I should make a bunnyhopping/dolphin diving/superman gliding guide.

Last edited by divided (2005-11-19 11:12:12)

Heretic
+3|6748
38 kills in a round with the MEC support gun ( not the pkm )

I am a killing machine ! But ! I always deplete my ammo bags after each burst. 
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6753|The Hague, Holland
You really like the word bullet dont you:P?
Nice guide:)
DTAC
+9|6711
It's almost poetic!
RKF77
+1|6722
haha, this is a freaking awesome post.

However, I would like to add that with the PKM and some patience in certain spots on certain maps, you CAN be a killing machine.  PKM > *
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6745|NRW,Germany

Cougar wrote:

Feature Post Request!
I second that
cmdwedge
More TK's than you can poke a stick at
+5|6781|Canberra, Australia
That's a fantastic post!
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

Very good guide. I hardly ever go support, but it is a good class. thanks for the tips.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6818|"Frisco"

Indeed. Two features in a day? And on a weekend! What's going on!?
OholibaH
The Disconnected
+0|6807

Tigg@lot wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Feature Post Request!
I second that
Dito!

Very nice guide!
{DS}Serge
+-1|6705
whats the point of this post???
RKF77
+1|6722

{DS}Serge wrote:

whats the point of this post???
What's the point of yours?
joemah
+6|6713

Cougar wrote:

Feature Post Request!
I agree.
evillbill
+-1|6706|West Oz
Yeah I get the whole zen thing of being support. Support is fantastic when you are a squad leader and you have a fairly coherant bunch of guys working together. You get a point for virtually every kill they make so, you don't need to be at the front.

Here are a few thing to do when acting as a Support SL.

When capping flags, or going defense, try to spread ammo packs bags near corners and along wall. Snipers love guys out in the middle of a compound.

drop ammo packs

Moving around as support should be like this: get up -  run - lie down - repeat.

drop ammo packs

If there is a pinch point from the nearest enemy flag to the capped flag then hang near it under a bush/tree/alcove.  I have chopped up entire squads running down a narrow gap between 2 buildings.

drop ammo packs

5 rounds a burst on the PKM, wether you need it or not.

drop ammo packs

Never go zoom. If the enemy is too far away to see in nomal mode, then harsh language is about as effective as the machine gun at that range.

drop ammo packs

If you have to shoot an enemy from the hip then you need to be able to see the crumbs on his chin. If you shoot standing up while zoomed, then you are just someone elses 2 points.

drop ammo packs

And as M90medic said - bullets are free and plentiful. Spread em around. (did I mention  that?)

*sorry about the partial thread hijack M90*
Sole
+1|6705|Wateringen, The Netherlands
Cool post there M90Medic. It's kind of familiar to me, as a good online friend of mine was a KSP58 gunner during his military service and well... he talks nothing but machineguns and how to use them, heh. (He was also the one that persuaded me to get BF2 )
M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6725|Medicland, sthlm

Sole wrote:

Cool post there M90Medic. It's kind of familiar to me, as a good online friend of mine was a KSP58 gunner during his military service and well... he talks nothing but machineguns and how to use them, heh. (He was also the one that persuaded me to get BF2 )
The KSP58 is a soldiers best friend. I still dream about her... Sara... Mmmmmm...
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6818|-

M90Medic wrote:

So you’ve decided to go for support? Good for you, welcome to the family… But, before we accept you into our triggerhappy brotherhood, there are a few things you have to keep in mind, namely the 4 rules of the support class.
You rang?
Burning_Monkey
Moving Target
+108|6808
I've been trying to use the support class more lately.  I fear that I am too much of a spray and pray kind of guy.  Gotta learn that fine art of trigger control.
Umbra Acciptris
+1|6726
I took the PKM for when I am squad leader.  I prefer support in that role, I can stay back, cover thier rear, and give them extra ammo if they get pushed back, or we relocate. . . not to mention the spawn point if they die.
M90Medic
Wiki Contributor
+2|6725|Medicland, sthlm

I will update the post as more inspiration comes along. Specific tactics, screens and such.
IlIlIlIlIl
make it funny plz
+3|6720|Netherlands
i love to be a support gunnen and i have made allot of kills with the pkm so i love the pkm
MurrayP
PKM Assasin
+0|6780|USA, IL
Im better than decent with suport and im not a very patient guy, I also dont fire in bursts... I lay down pause for a second (So my accuracy goes up) then shoot, if fire is being retrned the I get up and run my butt off jumping 6 feet in the air while laying and standing simotanously mid-air.  I run in and get kills leaving ammo behind for the players that are scared for thier lives hanging back - when I realize that this is just a game - and I hop aim and kill everyone with very little reloading..... good advice though.... at least for real life.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard