TrueArchon
Enemy Sniper..." *BOOM* "Nevermind... got him...
+61|6606|Las Vegas, NV USA
Ok, I'm in a bitching mood.  Don't know why, but I've got a feeling that it probably stemmed from starting to read a couple of topics, and then finding them closed by admins, because people start flaming the original poster.

So, let's get this out of the way...

NO, I DIDN'T USE THE SEARCH FEATURE IF THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN COVERED BEFORE!

... and there's a reason for it.

I start to read these recently new topics, and I will know that it's been covered before, but I don't care.  If it's an interesting topic, I'll read any new, recent insights for the topic on hand.  After all, some things are very common, and very popular with even as diverse a community as BF2 players.

Now, mind you, I can understand if the same topic has been mentioned within the past day or two, but to direct people to topics that are over two weeks old is only gonna bring about another complaint by many of these very same people:  REVIVING DEAD POSTS!

Anyways, back to this "Search" feature.  If you feel a need to make a friendly reminder of the "Search" feature... DON'T BE THE SECOND ONE TO SAY IT!  Let alone a third, fourth, fifth time, or more!  If you're the umpteenth person to mention the "search" feature, it only goes to show that you had no intention to read the post in the first place, because you would have already known that it'd been covered by a previous poster.

Also, keep in mind that these people who start up a post aren't putting themselves out to be abused by the "regular", grumbling members of the board who've been around since bf2s' inception.  Just because you've got a 1000 replies to you on-screen name, doesn't mean that you're given some privilege to heckle new members (let alone regulars) in some mock-moderator manner.

LET'S BRING SOME CIVILITY BACK TO THESE BOARDS!  DO IT ON YOUR OWN, AND DON'T RELY UPON THE OVER-WORKED, UNDER-APPRECIATED MODERATORS TO DO IT ALL BY THEMSELVES!

Ok, I think I'm good for now...

Sorry for the rant (but not).
Trel
+70|6689
Should have used the Search, man.
Good to be back.
FubarJonny
bUdSMoKEr
+47|6702
yea i mean come on its really pathetic. use the search function
TrueArchon

Trel wrote:

Should have used the Search, man.

FubarJonny wrote:

yea i mean come on its really pathetic. use the search function
LOL, I knew that was coming.  Just like I know that it's only the beginning of what is yet to come...
Battlefield2Player
Ak-101 Addict
+98|6544
I agree with you man.  If you search and bring back a week-old thread, people are going to complain about "reviving old threads", as you said.

It must really piss you off to make a signature about it...  j/k! 
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6541|Global Command
Ya, why search.
I would refer people to ; http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=9868

and take the spirit of that when it comes to searching.

After all, in that spirit, even if it has been covered ten times before, nobody is going to be as clever or insightful as you!
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6818|The planet Tophet
Yay I Agree
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6782|AUS, Canberra
in all seriousness, we do get a post like this every few weeks.
it simply comes down to the fact that if we get relaxed on telling people to search. then no one will. then this place will turn into an overloaded heck hole. its far better to have everyones input on the topic in one thread, rather than 5 threads on the same thing with varying answers (this also encourages debate).when we get multiple threads, we then get another thread asking which answer is correct. thus creating a never ending cycle off pain.

plus,and the main reason for it is its chuys site so if he says search before every thread then you search, if you don't your breaking the rules and can be removed.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6541|Global Command
Well, I guess he told us,  didn't he.   lolz!

(   *edit  I never disobey THA    )

Last edited by Alexanderthegrape (2006-07-12 19:42:17)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6732|California

TrueArchon wrote:

LET'S BRING SOME CIVILITY BACK TO THESE BOARDS!
https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/ticongeroga/civdis.gif
TrueArchon

THA wrote:

it simply comes down to the fact that if we get relaxed on telling people to search. then no one will. then this place will turn into an overloaded heck hole. its far better to have everyones input on the topic in one thread, rather than 5 threads on the same thing with varying answers (this also encourages debate).when we get multiple threads, we then get another thread asking which answer is correct. thus creating a never ending cycle off pain.

plus,and the main reason for it is its chuys site so if he says search before every thread then you search, if you don't your breaking the rules and can be removed.
I understand where you're coming from, I really do.

However, my point may better be expressed with some examples:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=34523
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=34477
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=34466
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=34588

All of these threads were just today, and every one of them had MORE THAN ONE person make a "search" reminder to the original poster.  Worse yet, several "search" replies were but a few words, but had been written quite a bit of time after the original "search" reminder.  Then it gets even worse than that.  There were legitimate replies to the OPs on their topics in between all these "search" reminders, but these replies are buried in between these reminders.

My gripe is that the OP is gonna read just about every reply to their own thread, and a single "search" reminder is not usually gonna escape their attention.  The remaining reminders are just excess.  If a poster does continue to disregard the "search" feature, PM it to a mod, and let them sort it out.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6561|Southeastern USA
there is also the matter of searching using the same keywords, you can have a similar topic, but if you don't use the exact same terminology the search will be negative
Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6818|Orlando, FL - Age 43
On the other hand, it is very annoying to create a thread and see another one on the same topic appear a week or two later and to have to cover the same ground over and over again.
spawnofthemist
Banned
+1,128|6654|Burmecia, Land of the Rain

kr@cker wrote:

there is also the matter of searching using the same keywords, you can have a similar topic, but if you don't use the exact same terminology the search will be negative
and teh fakt dat menee ppl typ3 shyte lyk dis nsted uv proper werdz nd shyt.

but common sense tells us to spell correctly and we shall find the replies to the horrendously worded original posts that use the correct spellings.
TrueArchon

Battlefield2Player wrote:

.... It must really piss you off to make a signature about it...  j/k! 
Hehehe.  Yeah, but only for a little bit.  I do tend to get over things pretty easily, so it'll probably not stay around for too long.
ericcartmanisbest
+24|6552|GREAT Britain
i know, i agree with you, i fucking hate the search brigade, theyre morons. they dont need to say shit, if its such a big deal the mods will delete it, either say something constructive or dont say nothing at all
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6768|Hell, p.o box 666

THA wrote:

Listen to this man, he know what he is talking about.

THA wrote:

OP I agree with you in one reason. Some older members of this community are not very helpfull if they post use the search in every formerly dealed topic, thats for shure. Sometimes I feel with the poor newbies and yeah, this kind of mod manner is unfortunatley becoming a part of this. But as THA said, this site will turn into an overloaded and not helpfull site. 1.000 posts about badges, ribbons, unlocks and stuff are not very helpfull, do you share my opinion?
ericcartmanisbest
+24|6552|GREAT Britain
but why does every tom dick and harry have to get all snobby and tell everyone to "search" , theyre morons. all it takes is a mod to say, "search next time", and then close it, i think the point he was trying to make is, about 50 million nerds post "search n00b!!! zomg"  in one thread

Last edited by ericcartmanisbest (2006-07-13 01:33:59)

TrueArchon

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

THA wrote:

Listen to this man, he know what he is talking about.

THA wrote:

OP I agree with you in one reason. Some older members of this community are not very helpfull if they post use the search in every formerly dealed topic, thats for shure. Sometimes I feel with the poor newbies and yeah, this kind of mod manner is unfortunatley becoming a part of this. But as THA said, this site will turn into an overloaded and not helpfull site. 1.000 posts about badges, ribbons, unlocks and stuff are not very helpfull,  ....
THA and fon|sl4y3r:

I do understand where you two are coming from.  I really do, and I can't debate against your reasoning.  In fact, in the original post, I didn't say that people shouldn't use the "search" feature.

Ericcartmanisbest summed it up, in a manner, just about exactly what I'm saying.  It is almost like a "search brigade" that reply lynches the poor OP, derails an already damaged thread, and then results in a piranha-like flame fest.  Sure, not using the "search" is bad, but it quickly degenerates into something even worse, that is almost justified as ok.  In fact, you now see posts that begin with:

"I already tried to do a search, but..."

... as though these people are trying to avoid being burnt at the stake by apologizing for something they don't know if they did wrong yet.

Anyways....

fon|sl4y3r wrote:

.... do you share my opinion?
I do share both of your opinions, and you two aren't the ones that I'm hoping read my original post to take something away as a bit of insight.  It sounds like you two already get it (which is good, considering I now see "mod" in your titles).

So, a definite yes, I do share your opinions.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6757|Houston, TX
It might come down to leaving the moderator comments (ie.. Please use the search, Don't spam, Don't bump) to the moderators.  Too many times have I seen someone take it upon themselves as a member to tell someone to use the search.  After a while the routine becomes old to that member and they get frustrated and add a flame.  Then it becomes a habit.  Pretty soon you've formed a "Search Brigade". 

The problem could be helped by members using the "Report button" more often than taking the matters into their own hands.  This might reduce the number of "Brigades" out there.  Of course, getting our long standing members to do this will be difficult.  Due to the amount of time they have been members and the seniority feeling that naturally comes with that time invested.

Just some thoughts....

KJ

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard