pfcilng
+0|6737|Northern Illinois University
Watched this special on N. Korea this weekend on CNN.  Did anyone else catch it?
Surprised to hear that people are going to China for freedom.
What are your opinions on N. Korea, and how should the problem be handled.
fdcp_elmo
Rules over Sesamestreet
+5|6726|The Netherlands
let them solve it themselves. or in a political way. but do not send US troops in any case
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6808|A Small Isle in the Tropics

Please don't treat them like Iraq. They are like a cornered animal, and you know what happens next.
Nipr.[net]
+0|6728|Robins AFB, GA
We're slowly but surely pulling out of Korea.  The DOD doesn't want to have anything to do with that one.  Too many dangerous ties between Kim Jong and his friends.  We're only there as peacekeepers now...if they suddenly decide it'd be a good idea to attack the US...well, then we'll have to break them like we have everyone else who has attacked us. I think the govn't is waiting for Kim to die off to see who takes his place.  There are certain people in his adminstration that will be significantly more...open to diplomacy.  Expect them to take over.  8)
doxy
+74|6761|Nevis
but there would be a reason, imagine kim jong il would have oil

//EDIT
i think he will never attack us, he threatens the world for money, some kind of blackmailing. he knows about his position in the world, and there are some lines he wouldn't cross, like attacking the united states. china won't let something like that happen, china and usa are close partners. beijing got billions of american dollars, remember ur employment sell out during the bush senior administration?

Last edited by doxy (2005-11-14 15:35:56)

crusaderop50
+1|6811
personally i don't give a damn.  let the n. korean do as they wish, they r already good as dead.
Kaiser|Soze
+0|6714
Why does everyone think that we went to iraq for oil?

The only resonable answer would be to relieve stress on the international market thus driving down our costs at home. Thats it!! We arnt taking it out of their wells and bringing it over here. This idea of stealing their oil or using it is ridicilous!!!!

95% of American imported oil comes from Canada. The other bit comes from Venezula. The oil found in the Middle  East has a high sulfer content that our US refeniers can not handle. So get off the oil idea for going to Iraq and as a reason for going other places to start a war.

Last edited by Kaiser|Soze (2005-11-14 15:44:59)

Nipr.[net]
+0|6728|Robins AFB, GA
Hahahaha...I love CNN-opinions.  You didn't follow world politics very much before the war, did you?  We didn't go to war for oil.  Jesus.  If we had, doesn't it look like it had THE EXACT OPPOSITE EFFECT intended? No one wants another OPEC.  I'm not entirely in support of the war--I think we should have done it right the FIRST time.  But we got another asshole out of power, and I'm not about to argue with that, even if it was a decade in coming.  But it wasn't about oil.  Anyway, getting off topic. 

We're not going to war with Korea now because:
A) S Korea hasn't ASKED us to
B) N Korea is not a major producer/trafficker of terrorists
C) Kim Jong has made it VERY clear he will use nukes if we do.  We can't afford that kind of war on the Korean pennisula.
There are more reasons, but I'm not writing my doctrate on world politics, so to hell with it.
Nipr.[net]
+0|6728|Robins AFB, GA
Oh, and thank you Kaiser.  I had to leave my desk for a minute and didn't see your post.  Another good point, though.
Kaiser|Soze
+0|6714
Ok, as an economist I have to say that you dont know what you are talking about doxy.

China is the largest holder of US tbills and currency for a reason. The yuan(chinas currency) is under valued by the chinese government. You ask, why would they do that? Well it helps with their major part of GDP, exports. The less valued that the exports are then the more that they can under cut other imports/exports produced around the world.

If the yuan starts to gain value then china floods the market with a certain amount of US dollars to bring its currency value back down, thus helping out their producers of exports.

Another thing, China is not a close trade partner of the friendly type. Its more of a you need us and we need you kinda thing. China isnt doing us any favors by copying American products, in violation of the of the agreements upon entering the international trade union. Also the undervaluation of the yuan and the trade surplus that we currently hold with China, helps them hurts us.

If you see something and dont understand then ask, dont make dumb comments that will lead to ridicule.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6741|AUS, Canberra
i think the only real fix is to send in team america...
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6747|UK

the_heart_attack wrote:

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6818|-

the_heart_attack wrote:

http://www.break.com/articles/americafy.html
pfcilng
A few more points to discuss.

Any ideas how N. Korea can be made to give up its policy on political opression and of blocking out the outside world?

What will happen to N. Korea's nuclear arsenal if Kim Jeung Il died?  Is there a potential for these weapons to get into the wrong hands  (not that they are in the right hands now) if N. Korea suddenly collapsed?
pfcilng

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

the_heart_attack wrote:

I wonder if Kim Jeung Il has come across a copy of Team America, I know they dont allow outside media.  But from what I have heard, he is a movie nerd.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6718|The United Center
north korea hates the US enough as it is...we really dont need to give them more reason to hate us.

pfcilng, i heard about him being a movie nerd as well...i also heard that he had seen it and found it funny.  i think i read it somewhere on msnbc.com...but im not entirely sure...it was months ago.
US|dirtysouth
purple sticky punch
+0|6785|englewood FL.

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

the_heart_attack wrote:

ahhh thats greattt.... great way to finish ma beer thank U..lol
Kaiser|Soze
+0|6714
Nuclear weapons are going to get on the black market, there is little way of preventing that. But we can stop the weapons from getting into the wrong hands.

A couple of weeks ago in the wall street journal the recent winner of the noble peace prize for economics was asked the very same question about how to keep weapons of mass destruction of the hands of terriosts. His answer was that the american government should enter the market and buy the weapons and a high enough rate so that no group could outbid us. That way we are more certain to keep the weapons out of others hands.
pfcilng

Kaiser|Soze wrote:

Nuclear weapons are going to get on the black market, there is little way of preventing that. But we can stop the weapons from getting into the wrong hands.

A couple of weeks ago in the wall street journal the recent winner of the noble peace prize for economics was asked the very same question about how to keep weapons of mass destruction of the hands of terriosts. His answer was that the american government should enter the market and buy the weapons and a high enough rate so that no group could outbid us. That way we are more certain to keep the weapons out of others hands.
I guess that would be a technique.  Not many options I see.

Any invading force will result in nulear weapons being used - N. Korea becoming unstable and weapons quickly moving into the wrong hands (what happened in Iraq with the conventional weapons).

If there is a uprising from the inside, causing a civil war, same result.

Gotta Love Team America.
Kniero
Banned
+1|6717|AZ

Kaiser|Soze wrote:

Ok, as an economist I have to say that you dont know what you are talking about doxy.

China is the largest holder of US tbills and currency for a reason. The yuan(chinas currency) is under valued by the chinese government. You ask, why would they do that? Well it helps with their major part of GDP, exports. The less valued that the exports are then the more that they can under cut other imports/exports produced around the world.

If the yuan starts to gain value then china floods the market with a certain amount of US dollars to bring its currency value back down, thus helping out their producers of exports.

Another thing, China is not a close trade partner of the friendly type. Its more of a you need us and we need you kinda thing. China isnt doing us any favors by copying American products, in violation of the of the agreements upon entering the international trade union. Also the undervaluation of the yuan and the trade surplus that we currently hold with China, helps them hurts us.

If you see something and dont understand then ask, dont make dumb comments that will lead to ridicule.
How do they flood the market with US dollars?
Why would you make a reply trying to clarify what others may not know and then use an acronym which others may not know (GDP - Gross Domestic Product)?
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6741|AUS, Canberra

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

the_heart_attack wrote:

funny stuff, although the pic of the guy when they sing rock 'n' roll seems to be singer of ac/dc (aussie rock band)

and kim jong ll knows about the movie cause i read an article about how he has banned anyone from NK watching it or they will get in big trouble!
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6808
Stay out and away from these Countries if they dont ask for our help. Their  systems will fail on there own if they arn't viable. We cant be police and no one wants us to. We should be  buying Arab Oil and Reading about them  in National Geographic. We meddled with them in 1947 and its been Trouble ever since. It may end well yet but not any time soon. I give it Eight more years. Monitor but Stay Away from North Korea or god help us all.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6726|United States of America
Lets go in and kick some ass, itd show ot bin laden america isnt some paper tiger.  Kill kim, kill his advisors, lets help these people, they dont have anything good over there.  And you all should remember 1989 in teh square when someone got smart enough to want freedom. thats what we should go in for, just to help. Free china and korea, and maybe even finish off vietnam, which we should have never pulled out from.
m4sopmod
+1|6724
North Korea i reckon is "playing" with everyone. On one hand it says its nuke are for friendly purposes and deterrent (deterrent to what i wonder -sif US is gonna nuke/invade the place if they don't touch anybody else) but on the other, it's selling nukes to rogue countries.

I find it funny that they are actually asking a nuke reactor for water filtering thingy from the US (correct if i am wrong on this) before they will give up their nuke intentions. It's like giving a candy bar to a 5yr old kid to behave - endless demands and blackmailing.

My solution:
1. Nuke em off the planet (sounds harsh and childish but that's what i do if i have the button on the nukes)
2. Let em starve themselves (then again they are selling nukes, drugs, counterfeiting for $$)
3. Like earlier threads have said, let the new "democratic" and "friendly" ppl take over (a bit hard since everyone has been brainwashed since young about the "evil" world outside North Korea and supresssion of free speech in the country)
4. Let someone in the regime assasinate Kim- Jong like what some officers in WWII did with Hitler cos of his madness though it failed (good try though)

m4sopmod
pfcilng

Miller wrote:

Lets go in and kick some ass, itd show ot bin laden america isnt some paper tiger.  Kill kim, kill his advisors, lets help these people, they dont have anything good over there.  And you all should remember 1989 in teh square when someone got smart enough to want freedom. thats what we should go in for, just to help. Free china and korea, and maybe even finish off vietnam, which we should have never pulled out from.
Mr. Miller, I see you have returned.  I guess that would also be a "technique" for handling N. Korea.

You might get flamed for the Vietnam comment, and probally the rest of the "Kill....." commentary.

Let the flaming begin.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard