Mustang99
+9|6544
can somebody give me tips for getting vet ground def badge (maps servers ways of not getting killed and getting more ppl) i always seem to at least get 1 less person then i need.....
Viper38
+118|6690
Be commander ... sit on a TOW or LMG ... arty.

Try and search
deject
Got His War On
+37|6793|Golden, CO
wake islad, airfield, let USMC get beach, watch out for snipers.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6669|Washington DC

Mustang99 wrote:

can somebody give me tips for getting vet ground def badge (maps servers ways of not getting killed and getting more ppl) i always seem to at least get 1 less person then i need.....
If you want to get it legitimately to demonstrate you are indeed skilled like a veteran (and not use the cheap, no-skill commander technique that Viper38 told you about), then I've noted three prime opportunities.  By the way, I've just started to pursue this badge so I can't claim expertise ... I just remember how others have been successful.

(1)  As deject suggested, there are two machine guns at the Wake Airfield facing the Beach control point.  If your team holds the airfield, and the other team holds the Beach then there will be a stream of attackers coming at you.  Hop in one of the machine gun nests and fire away ... I saw one guy on the North nest mow down a half dozen of my team last night before we wised up and 2-3 respawned as a sniper.  Many people have said this is the way they got their badge.

(2)  On 64 player Sharqi, you have multiple opportunities if you are USMC and losing ground to the MEC.  This approach will involve falling back and using the ground defense at each control point.  First, at the beginning of the round get near the North Tow at the City Entrance and wait for transports and the APC to come down the road.  I typically do not enter the TOW until the vehicle crosses the bridge so as not to give away my position to the APC.  I regularly get 1-4 kills very early in the round using the Tow.
    Then, when the MEC take the City Entrance, get on the mounted machine gun at the Surveillance Post.  There is typically a large attack wave coming right at you.  And, if a tank or APC is on the way, you might get a shot from the TOW near the wall.  (If the MEC also have the hotel, then they will likely flank you from the left).
    Then, I'm assuming the MEC will attack the northern most control point (can't recall name) ... another great MMG position to take out infantry as the stream from the Surveillance Post..
    Finally, if the USMC is only down to the TV Station,  the mounted machine gun at the TV Station flag balcony will provide you another prime spot to take out attacking infantry as the come over the hill to the left.

(3)  The third opportunity is as USMC on Karkand if the USMC is much weaker than the MEC.  In this case, the MEC will come streaming to the Northeast uncappable, and there is a machine gun pointed right at them.  I've heard of others getting their veteran in this situation, but personally I've not had much luck with this one.
    Of course, there is also the MEC technique of hanging in the HJ-8's at the Square, Suburb, and Train Wreck and hoping to take out a few car loads of USMC ... once I got about 8 kills IAR just doing this, but the opportunities to get 10 seem remote using this technique.

Like the knife badge, I think this badge depends upon opportunity and the right situation.  Not every round will afford you with that opportunity so you might only legitimately get a chance at the badge in 1 of 4 rounds.  Also, a good commander is very important ... you want that UAV up over your position.  This way, you can be behind cover or prone until the targets are within firing range.  Just sitting in a MMG or TOW will get you killed by a sniper.

Last edited by OrangeHound (2006-07-03 07:43:52)

loonitic
...is a potty mouth
+286|6554|Valhalla
Sharqi or Kakand is best for this badge while being commander that how i got mine
Sin-nisterMinister
You have been blessed... with my rifle!
+43|6616|Bellmawr, NJ, US
I tried getting Vet Ground Defence on Sharqi.  No luck.  Most of the maps have the machine guns pointed in the most retarded directions.  As if the Marines had Gomer Pyle, who was drunk and high at the time, put them up.  The Wake Island nests will probably do the trick, just watch out for snipers.  One sniper on the hill will ruin your day.
l3of3l1c14
+3|6536
yah, just sit in a tow or HJ-8. arty peps and by the time u are done. you'll have ur expert or whatever ur getting.
PheloniusRM
+8|6718|Mission Viejo, CA
When I command on Kubra Dam as USMC, I always defend the uncap base. There are always people coming to try to steal armor or kill me or spawn camp. I hang out in the little building near the tow and the small building next to it has a stinger on top. I stay near the AA and shoot at the stuff that flies over and when I spot some person or vehicle I run over to the tow. I usually get 6-10 kills from that per round. Add that to the kills I get from arty while I am in the aa/tow and I get close to the 20 required for expert frequently. Soon, Ill actually hit 20.
Crazyfool_OA
+12|6783|Gloucester - UK
MEC, operation crapsweep, use the TOW to kill the APC's, Boats and Blackhawks as they come across the water. Make sure to do it on a server with >40 people tho, so that people actually use the boats and APCs as they're a lot easier to hit than blackhawks.
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6757
screw that commander crap, do it right - Keep it tight.
Dragon Valley the Tow on the corner of the Hill Village....
32 or 64 players, keep the tow pointed north wait for unsuspecting foes.
vassili
+66|6543
I need my exp but its just nog hapening
DrM
+33|6641
I like the Operation Clean Sweep option myself.
If you can spawn early, go AT, grab the transport and head to the top left ground defence point.
From here you should be able to get a good few boats and APC's. You can try for blackhawks as well if you are a good shot, but I tend to jump into the near by FAV for BH's.

Hope this helps man.

DrM
Mustang99
+9|6544
Thanks
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6550|Boston, MA
I got mine on a Karkand 64 player server. I started as MEC and did what orangehound was talking about with Sharqi. I started at the hotel and used that MG which only got me one or two kills because most people go through that alley. Then I just kept falling back to the square (try to get as many kills with that machine gun because that's the most useful one.) After a while I fell back to the suburbs, almost everybody forgets about that MG on the roof of that building and a lot of people like to go behind the buildings on the east side. This is your other best bet. I got mine at that point. The other good thing about that MG is that you can see most of the map, if you see a big vehicle coming, jump down and get the TOW. Blow up the vehicles, and those are some easy kills. They have a lot of nice MGs placed throughout the map, you just have to learn how and when to use them. I'd suggest going on a server with a lot of people though so it's harder for them to flank you, that and they are more likely to all just rush straight up the middle giving you the prime oppurtunity to take them down.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard