Papa Smurf 314
Right in the Smurfin' parking lot?
+90|6813|New York
Ok, well unlike all of you computer-savvy people, I ordered a Dell about a year ago.  I upgraded my 512 MB RAM to 2 GIGS of Kingston, and there hasn't been any lag in BF2 ever since.  As for the problem at hand, I have an ATI Radeon x300/x550 series 128MB video card.  Yes, I know, It sucks the biggest balls.  What I want to get is a NVidia XFX 7600GT. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814150140

The problem is, since I have a Dell, my friend says I won't be able to upgrade.  He says that the case will be too small or something like that.  I really don't want to be stuck with this shitty GFX card, and a shitty PSU for the rest of my life because I can't upgrade.

My Specs:
Dell Dimension 5100
Intel P4 2.8 GHz CPU
2 GB Kingston RAM Dual Channel DDR2
ATI Radeon x300/x550 128MB
I think I have a 305 Watt PSU which i KNOW i need to upgrade, which is why I want to get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817103929

My question is, will the video card I want to get and the PSU I want to get be able to fit into my case? Mind you, I am only 14 years old, so if I got some of my specs wrong, sue me.  I am also not rich, which is why I'm getting the 7600GT rather than a 7900.  This means, getting a new case isn't really an option.  I don't even think it's possible.

Please help me.  BTW, I know for a fact I have a PCI-Express slot on my motherboard, so the card is definitley compatible.
d3v1ldr1v3r13
Satan's disciple on Earth.
+160|6729|Hell's prison
I run an X800XL that fits in my compaq just fine, its pretty good, I run all specs on high no problem.  But I dont think youll have to worry about the 7600.  Should work fine.
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6891|-
If you have a PCIe slot on your motherboard then I see no way of it "not fitting".

Please note that your warrenty will be void by simply opening the case of your Dell.
Papa Smurf 314
+90|6813|New York

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

If you have a PCIe slot on your motherboard then I see no way of it "not fitting".

Please note that your warrenty will be void by simply opening the case of your Dell.
Okay, what about the PSU?
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6891|-

Papa Smurf 314 wrote:

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

You do need to upgrade, but the link you posted won't load.
Papa Smurf 314
+90|6813|New York

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Papa Smurf 314 wrote:

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

You do need to upgrade, but the link you posted won't load.
It loads fine for me, but thanks for helping me with the video card.
Orgtheone
+30|6706|The Dark Side Of The Moon
Simple buy a new case for about $50 they also come with a PSU of about 450w
then just slam you mobo and everything else there fuck the warrenty Dell are shite anyway
GermanLegionaire
...performing headshots!
+46|6628|Hamburg / Germany
off topic, but who is blazin in your sig? i guess, it is the ginger one?!?
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6891|-

Orgtheone wrote:

Simple buy a new case for about $50 they also come with a PSU of about 450w
then just slam you mobo and everything else there fuck the warrenty Dell are shite anyway
Never pass up the opportunity to get free hardware/parts, because if you complain enough, they WILL send you stuff.
Papa Smurf 314
+90|6813|New York
So there's really no easy way of getting a new PSU into my Dell case?
SiMSaM16
+48|6737|United States of America
I dont like Dell, Dell sucks. Its hard to update Dells. I say just get a new case.

I have an Antec 420W PSU I got for like $80 or something and its awesome. I have an X700 Pro that I'm not very happy with. I keep getting a VPU recover error when I play BF2. Ive been told that its caused by overheating, but I'm not overclocking or anything.
Orgtheone
nope Dell are made to measure like any brand name PC they are hard to upgrade so that you have to ask them to do it for more $$$ just buy a new case just take your time swopping everything over and you'll be fine
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6739|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
Your going to have to tlak to someone who knows more about this because the PSU may nto work with your dell, don't quote me on this, ask cyborg ninja or somebody like that, dw they'll raid the topic soon enough
Papa Smurf 314
+90|6813|New York
I know Dell sucks, but my case is HUGE. It's silver/white, not Black/Blue if that makes any difference for a Dell.  There is a lot of room length-wise for the PSU to go.  I wish I had a picture of it...

http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2005/dt/39094340/sc001.jpg 
^ That is exactly what mine looks like.

If I have to, then I will wait to save up money for a new case, but I've waited almost a year to really upgrade my computer.. Running BF2 on low-medium settings SUCKS.
Orgtheone
see if you can get the dimentions of the video card that you want then measure in side your case to see if the card fits well to see that the HDD & cables aint in the way

Last edited by Orgtheone (2006-06-29 00:57:14)

Papa Smurf 314
+90|6813|New York

Orgtheone wrote:

see if you can get the dimentions of the video card that you want then measure in side your case to see if the card fits well to see that the HDD & cables aint in the way
Trigger said the card would fit if it's PCI-E, the problem is fitting the PSU.
c0rce
+11|6612

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Since Dell will ask you over the phone to remove RAM and CPU's to diagnose problems, I very much doubt that opening your case voids your warrenty.

Your Dell case should be a pretty standard ATX case, so as long as you aren't buying n oversized video card you should be fine, just look where ther current card is and see how much extra length is left, is the psu in the way? CD rack etc...

Looking at an x300 here: http://www.firingsquad.com/media/articl … sp/1679/01
there doesnt seem to be much length difference to the 7600 series here: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/7600_Series.html

Last edited by c0rce (2006-06-29 01:11:48)

Papa Smurf 314
+90|6813|New York

c0rce wrote:

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Since Dell will ask you over the phone to remove RAM and CPU's to diagnose problems, I very much doubt that opening your case voids your warrenty.

Your Dell case should be a pretty standard ATX case, so as long as you aren't buying n oversized video card you should be fine, just look where ther current card is and see how much extra length is left, is the psu in the way? CD rack etc...
There's about 6 inches of free space between my video card and the edge of the case. lol For the 10th time, and I don't want to sound like a dick, what about the PSU? *Prays that I don't have to replace the case*
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6611|NYC / Hamburg

Papa Smurf 314 wrote:

Orgtheone wrote:

Trigger said the card would fit if it's PCI-E, the problem is fitting the PSU.
not necassarily. If dell really messed up and put a big cooler or something in a wrong spot it might not work. just measure it out (same goes for PSU) to be sure.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6739|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia

Papa Smurf 314 wrote:

I know Dell sucks, but my case is HUGE. It's silver/white, not Black/Blue if that makes any difference for a Dell.  There is a lot of room length-wise for the PSU to go.  I wish I had a picture of it...

http://asia.cnet.com/i/r/2005/dt/39094340/sc001.jpg 
^ That is exactly what mine looks like.

If I have to, then I will wait to save up money for a new case, but I've waited almost a year to really upgrade my computer.. Running BF2 on low-medium settings SUCKS.
i mean compatibility with your mobo
c0rce
+11|6612
"The size of an ATX power supply is 150MM wide, 86MM tall and is typically 140MM deep. Some power supplies of greater power or certain features, like modular interfaces, can actually be 155MM or deeper."

Worst case is that you measure your current psu and then compare it to one you want to buy.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6759
a normal psu should fit.. i did it on my dads dell, he had an X600 vid card, so i popped a 7800gt in it and replaced his psu w/ my old 400 watt.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6800
be careful with getting a new case. If the MB is OEM and custom made for dell, as well as the case, it may not work. Try and run a MB scan on it to see which MB you have and what kind of form factor it is before you go spend money on another case.
Scratch[USA]
+105|6590
@ Papa Smurf
Hey this is great.  I am also about to go down this path.  Dell Dimension 8400 also running the x300 (great 25FPS on Med settings).  Let me know how things go.  I just ordered a new vid card, but I feel that I am going to have to start all over and let the wife have the Dell.   Good luck
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6760|Riva, MD
That case looks like it's as wide, if not wider than, my Pavilion 750n and HP is pretty much the same as Dell but their cases aren't as boring looking, lol.  You shouldn't have any problems fitting any video card in there.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard