Not
Great success!
+216|6592|Chandler, AZ
Well I feel much better! Thanks clever
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6791|Kansas, USA

Not wrote:

... when I'm pointing my nose down to close in on the jets, that horizon line leaves the midpoint of my target reticle and moves up. This is because the horizon line also acts as your missile placement on the Y axis.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there. The vertical position of the indicator (pitch) shows just that - your vertical position. The reason why it may seem like it is acting as positioning for your missle placement is because of the forward movement of your chopper.

If you are flying at say 40mph, see a tank, put your nose down to line up the tank with your center reticle and fire - you will miss the tank. Not because you didn't line up with the horizon indicator, but because the missles (along with the chopper) were already moving horizontally at 40mph.

However, if you are hovering and nose down at a tank to fire at it, your missles will impact much closer to where the center reticle is because your missles won't be affected by forward momentum.

That is not to say that your post is not without merit. Using the horizon indicator in most situations is a good
rough estimate of where to fire.
Not
Great success!
+216|6592|Chandler, AZ

Psycho wrote:

Not wrote:

... when I'm pointing my nose down to close in on the jets, that horizon line leaves the midpoint of my target reticle and moves up. This is because the horizon line also acts as your missile placement on the Y axis.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there. The vertical position of the indicator (pitch) shows just that - your vertical position. The reason why it may seem like it is acting as positioning for your missle placement is because of the forward movement of your chopper.

If you are flying at say 40mph, see a tank, put your nose down to line up the tank with your center reticle and fire - you will miss the tank. Not because you didn't line up with the horizon indicator, but because the missles (along with the chopper) were already moving horizontally at 40mph.

However, if you are hovering and nose down at a tank to fire at it, your missles will impact much closer to where the center reticle is because your missles won't be affected by forward momentum.

That is not to say that your post is not without merit. Using the horizon indicator in most situations is a good
I'll look into this more closely and add it to the guide with your name credited if it works out. From the sound of it though I don't doubt this is true, but I'd like to get a handle on exactly how much difference it makes so I can write it up accurately from first hand experience. I've never had any trouble using the horizon as the Y axis placement, but it's quite possible that that's due to the way I fly.

Thank you for the heads up. +1
bennisboy
+829|6661|Poundland
hey, to practice in attack choppers, do u have to set up a LAN server or something cos I swear there are none in SP levels
Not
Great success!
+216|6592|Chandler, AZ
Correct, you just have to host an internet game and you can play with the choppers.
BMF-Nichman
+6|6552
the dot isnt where the missles will land, they will never land in the middle. each chopper has a different width. sorry i cant tell you right now but i think they fire to the inside of the horizontal line _______  -[]-  _______

Last edited by BMF-Nichman (2006-06-27 14:08:36)

Not
Great success!
+216|6592|Chandler, AZ

BMF-Nichman wrote:

the dot isnt where the missles will land, they will never land in the middle. each chopper has a different width. sorry i cant tell you right now but i think they fire to the inside of the horizontal line _______  -[]-  _______
This is why I made the dot wide. It's not meant to be a pinpoint, due to the fact that the choppers each have different spacing of their missiles. Typically, you're not firing at infantry anyway. If you have a gunner worth the spit in his mouth he can take down infantry that's visible enough for you to throw a missile at. They're anti-vehicle missiles and that's what they should be used for unless in extreme cases.

Also, I made a point to note that everyone's video settings are different, and that it's important to find out exactly where your own sweet spot is. That applies to the chopper you're flying as well. The dot I drew in is just an example of where it "should" be. Mine is actually a little below it.

Also the farther away from the target you are, the less that spacing matters gradually. Face to face with another chopper it does matter, from a distance it matters less.

Please also keep in mind, reading a guide can only give you an idea of how to use this stuff. Nobody can read something and master every bit of it instantly. A lot of it is open to adjustment and learning for yourself how it actually feels in game.

Last edited by Not (2006-06-27 14:16:50)

Not
Great success!
+216|6592|Chandler, AZ
Today 07:19:21 -1 How to: Using attack chopper pilot missiles. DONT TELL EVERY BODY MY SECRET 

LOL, sorry! =X
Mr.E
HakLaw in the house
+103|6576
Nice guide for players that dont have a clue but experienced pilots would not always use this....I just actually go by my position at the time at take a guesstimate as to how much i have to tilt forward or slow down to hit the target....also to add....if your trying to hit infantry swing the chopper slightly(very) to the opposite side that the missiles are firing...that way you will get an accurate shot
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6668
This is useless for us joystick users who have a throttle and don't fly at +100%, 0%, or -100% all the time. In other words, this only works when you're flying straight and at full speed. In any case, I'll just rely on my feeling as I prefer to circle around enemies rather than fly straight.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Not
Great success!
+216|6592|Chandler, AZ

SargeV1.4 wrote:

This is useless for us joystick users who have a throttle and don't fly at +100%, 0%, or -100% all the time. In other words, this only works when you're flying straight and at full speed. In any case, I'll just rely on my feeling as I prefer to circle around enemies rather than fly straight.
I don't agree 100% there. I don't use a joystick and I'm rarely flying a constant speed. A friend of mine uses one and this works well for him. To each his own I suppose.

The main point of this guide, really, was to explain a function of the chopper HUD that few people know about, not to dictate how everyone should fire. Based on the majority of responses so far, that's exactly what it's done.
Hacial
404 - Not Found
+107|6635
Make this featured post?
8000rpm
+0|6631|Germany

bennisboy wrote:

hey, to practice in attack choppers, do u have to set up a LAN server or something cos I swear there are none in SP levels
In Dalian Plant is one.

Good tip with the HUD, thx. I'll try that. :-)
Not
Great success!
+216|6592|Chandler, AZ

Hacial wrote:

Make this featured post?
If the powers that be see fit.
eagles1106
+269|6599|Marlton, New Jersey.
im good with the rockets, i dont actually aim i just got used to their "physics" and where they will hit
nice guide though
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6693|Middle of nowhere

PitViper401 wrote:

Wow this is going to help me so much, I'd always just try and take my best guess at where they hit.  +1
same here, that's a great guide, thanks! :) +1
Hacial
404 - Not Found
+107|6635
Request featured post on this target, over!
elmo1337
Banned
+186|6574|The real world
Doesnt it depend on the speed of the helicopter to?
Not
Great success!
+216|6592|Chandler, AZ

elmo1337 wrote:

Doesnt it depend on the speed of the helicopter to?
I haven't had an extensive amount of time to play with the speeds since I made this post, PC troubles and all, hopefully within the next few days I'll be able to devote some serious time to experimenting with this and I'll update the guide if I find anything major about the speed.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6781|UK

Not wrote:

Psycho wrote:

Not wrote:

I'll look into this more closely and add it to the guide with your name credited if it works out. From the sound of it though I don't doubt this is true, but I'd like to get a handle on exactly how much difference it makes so I can write it up accurately from first hand experience. I've never had any trouble using the horizon as the Y axis placement, but it's quite possible that that's due to the way I fly.

Thank you for the heads up. +1
ofcourse its true, think of this example, you are flying directly downwards at your target, to hit that target you need to be using the reticle not the horizontal line. However if you want to destroy something and your not going straight at it i start firing my missles as the horizontal goes past thus getting the tank on the front, centre and back rather than firing with the retical and due to forwards motion only hitting 1 or 2 missles on its back and not destroying it.
incubis
+40|6660|CANADA
-1 people should take the time in single player to learnt hese things so we don't have to read about it in fourms...

there is many write ups about choppers
BlaZin'Feenix
I'm just that good
+156|6634|Cork, Ireland
+1 to you Not, just 'cos i like you
ChibiAlpha
+0|6666
Thanks for the tip, never thought of it this way. +1
mauirixxx
+1|6691|Kihei, Maui (hawaii yo!)
+1 - I've used the chopper for roughly 20+ hours now, and missile are hit or (usually) miss for me. Can't wait to try it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard