Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6781|Dallas
Guitar, but only if I could play like Satch someday.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6690|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
My Organ
Microwave
_
+515|6672|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
I play piano, grade 5 and rising!

It's good 'cos it's so versatile, so i love it!
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6592
There is an instrument called a "gangbang" (not sure on the spelling) . Its no joke. I played one when my school was doing gamilan music.

I would like to play Harmonica/Bagpipes/Electric Violins
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6767|Chicago.

jermyang wrote:

why do you guys like bass? it's not all that interesting
bass is only an instrument because if there were no bass, then music would sound bad, but i assume most people think guitar is more fun, solos and stuff
bass solos never sound as good as guitar solos, NEVER.
besides, if you know guitar, you know bass.
Its not interesting? Pfft....

I'll tell you why I play bass.

Because everybody and their brother play guitar. Because I enjoy being an integral part in my band. Because I have a distinct sound. And YES, because I improve the sound of the music I play.

I can argue that bass solos sound better than guitar solos, and the fact that you say otherwise means you have never heard any GOOD bass solos.

One more thing, There are definate similarities between guitar and bass, but they are not Identical. From that post, I take it you don't play any insturment, so don't try to speak with authority over those who actually play.
Viper38
+118|6687
Great post ... I play the bass and guitar but I really, really want to learn to play the drums.

As for the above posts, the bass is one of the most important instruments in any band, it is the bridge between the  rhythm and the melody and is vital for the cohesion and tightness of any band. Moreover, if you have never listened to Jacko Pastorious play the bass you have never heard the instrument being played as sweetly as it can be. And for the record, just because you play the guitar does not mean you know how to play the bass - I don't just meaning in terms of different technique such as slapping or tapping but the effective use of timing, clicks, dampened notes and dead notes.

Bass FTW

Edit: What Bass do you play Bigmack?

Last edited by Viper38 (2006-06-26 10:41:43)

BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6767|Chicago.

Viper38 wrote:

Edit: What Bass do you play Bigmack?
I play a 2002 Squier Precision Bass. All I could afford with a budget of $300. But hey, its MADE by Fender! ;-)

HBU? What do you play?

Last edited by BigmacK192 (2006-06-26 10:44:01)

LockerFish
+47|6723
I play tenor sax, bass clarinet, a bit of piano, and drums as of now. I'm pretty comfortable with those, but if I could, I'd like to know how to play the piano. Because piano=scales=marimba which could = guitar with enough work.
spawnofthemist
Banned
+1,128|6659|Burmecia, Land of the Rain

jermyang wrote:

bass solos never sound as good as guitar solos, NEVER.
besides, if you know guitar, you know bass.
"Anesthesia" "Orion" or "Call of Ktulu" by Metallica.. all are bass solos.. Cliff Burton.. look him up.. asswipe...
and bass can be harder to play technically than guitar.. due to higher string gauges and tensions..

BigMacK192 wrote:

I'll tell you why I play bass.

Because everybody and their brother play guitar. Because I enjoy being an integral part in my band. Because I have a distinct sound. And YES, because I improve the sound of the music I play.

I can argue that bass solos sound better than guitar solos, and the fact that you say otherwise means you have never heard any GOOD bass solos.

One more thing, There are definate similarities between guitar and bass, but they are not Identical. From that post, I take it you don't play any insturment, so don't try to speak with authority over those who actually play.
QFT Mack.. bass rules.. as does guitar.. as do all instruments..

and i play a Black Rickenbacker 4003 and Metallic Navy 24 fret Yamaha basses, ESP Explorer LTD (the cheap one) like james hetfield of metallica and an Ibanez S series like Herman Li from DragonForce
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6577|Canaduhhh.. West Toast
holy band class batman... you all could start the bf2's marching band or something... play us into battle boys

id like to play the Holophonor
Viper38
+118|6687
I was very lucky with my bass as I got it cheap of my bass teacher on my 18th birthday. Its a gorgeous  Bernie Goodfellow Five - doesn't mean I can play it well
Tripp
I wanna be on you
+116|6544|So Cal
being that I work at Line 6, I am surrounded by guitars and bass guitars, so those would be my choices.
lord_tyler_486
+54|6769|Upper Franconia
Some light strings
Mouse315
Bash.org Junkie
+105|6537
I play French Horn, Trumpet, Mellophone, but I'd like to learn Bassoon.
JOJOBA
my penis itches
+18|6550|Columbus, OH
i play piano, been playing for almost 12 of my 17 year life.  its alot of fun, playing challenging music is fun.  id like to learn the bagpipe.
HolmWrecker
+2|6726|Nibiru
I was a born drummer. Never in a band other than grade school. But to this day I drum on anything all the time. Drives my wife nuts. On the oven top I can actually crank out some good rhythms.
I had a fiend in school that was super musical and could pick up any instrument and rock it with out ever even seeing one before. I saw him play various horns, keyboards, wood winds and guitars and play them near perfectly every time...made me wanna puke with envy! Hehe. Dude could also draw like crazy stuff. I've also noticed people like him are just flat strange/eccentric. I guess having that portion of the brain unlocked makes other areas of strange behavior.

Last edited by HolmWrecker (2006-06-26 11:42:21)

spawnofthemist
Banned
+1,128|6659|Burmecia, Land of the Rain
for all the guys who wanna learn the bagpipes..

you really dont..

they're a bitch to play.. smokers are fucked as you need good lungs..

they're really difficult to even get a note out of at first..

plus.. they make you look like a gimp..

trust me. i'm scottish lol
Mushroomcar
I L0v3 C4k3
+18|6737|Sweden
The triangel!!!!
it's a metal triangel which you hit with a metal stick, and it sounds like pliiiiiing!
gburndred
tiga tiga tiga tiga tiga woods ya'll
+95|6655|Calgary,AB,Canada
THE BANJO
We could have a hootenanny

Last edited by gburndred (2006-06-26 12:34:15)

|60|Cobalt
Terror in the Skies
+30|6769|Leipzig/Germany
i'd like to play piano
i already play e-guitar
No 1 Gooner
coopj Dependant
+98|6589|England
I sing,play guitar and piano! the drummer in the band im in makes me stand open mouthed sometimes! his hands are a blur,that impresses me alot..but i dont know if ive got that much energy! if it was an instrument id like to play id say the violin but if it was to master one it would be the guitar! so easy to write songs on! great poll!
herrr_smity
+156|6645|space command ur anus
i have a guitar that i would like to learn how to play
Mackaronen
+18|6654|Uppland, Sweden
Harmonica so i could play the blues.
XxUNDEROATHxX
=(1C4L)=underOATH
+52|6673|Chandler, AZ
I play the Drums right now. Id like to learn to play Bass Guitar, but theres too much learning involved...

With drums you dont play notes really, you just play beats and develop your own style of play. I have a Tama Superstar EFX in silver. I also have a Tama Iron Cobra Double bass pedal, remo heads, Zildjian A Custom 4-Piece Cymbal Pack, Paiste Total China, and a Paiste ride cymbal....

A guy in my band has all the recordng stuff, and I do the editing for my band....
uber73
+188|6769|Brisbane
i play leccy guitar (20 years now.... dear god!!), picked up bass about 2 years ago...  have lots of kit, lots of guitars...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard