NASTIE_BUTLER
+55|6793|3 Miles west of smurf village
Just wanted to get the community opinion on how a clan should be run.

...should it be set on a hierarchy?

...should it be structured as a closed or open community?

...what management measures should it have?

...what qualifications?

...what should its goal be?
.Psycho~*DS*~
Banned
+64|6562
I think you should have a definite man in charge, so no anarchy.

However, the rest of the clan should have some say in everything. Personally, if you have a lot of members, you should have leaders for different groups (such as jet whores, etc) that way, each group will be bounded together, ultimately into one giant clan.

Also, I recommend it being an open community, open to visitors to see what everything is like.

As for the qualifications, mature attitude, great player, teamwork, etc.

Finally, goal should be to be number 1 or something high like that in TWL and CAL, any league would be great.
JaM3z
Banned
+311|6753

NASTIE_BUTLER wrote:

Just wanted to get the community opinion on how a clan should be run.

...should it be set on a hierarchy?

...should it be structured as a closed or open community?

...what management measures should it have?

...what qualifications?

...what should its goal be?
Yes there should be a man/women in charge to organise the clan, e.g matchs

Keep it closed keep it small, have a clan to big and you have members moan about they are not playing in matchs and stuff, also a closed group that plays alot and knows each others abilitys is ideal

On the qualifications side the only thing i would say is 500+ hours experience on one account, must play everyday and communicate well e.g mic, msn, xfire, aim, icq, irc, forums

Goal, well thats a bit dumb... to top every ladder go pro get sponserd... you know the rest..

Or..............................

You can have a fun clan where you dont care about that stuff, well i wanted to go to the top, but my clan left bf2 after the 1.3 patch, so im clanless now and mainly just own on my own.

/starts looking for decent clan
NASTIE_BUTLER
I was just looking for a precident.

We had a group that started out together as a group of friends who blackhawked together.   Then we all joined BSF because one of us was a member.

They had a strict hierarchial structure and a code of conduct, weekly reports and meetings etc and it never accomplished anything.  It made a game more like work.

Anyway we got sick of it and one of us bought a TS server one afternoon so we all (about twenty or thirty) just started to use that instead. 

I believe since it was a huge group that just moved over with no one person claiming ownership of it (the clan) or the TS we became something unique.

-All members have full admin rights to TS and a game server.
-All new members, as soon as they are accepted, gain those rights.
-No seniority exists.
-If a fight occurs the two parties are encrouraged to work it out amongst themselves like adults and if one or both can't deal they just leave on their own.
-New recruits are decided on a majority vote accessible to all members.
-If any member wants to start a league, server, or any other project they can do it and it's success or failure depends entirely on their own effort and leadership ability.

One would think that a community with no leader, admin, or censor would fall into anarchy.  But we have been growing steadily and have all kept a strong bond for the last nine months.

I was wondering if anyone else is involved in a community/clan/gang like this?
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6835|Jupiter
Gangs FTW?
.Psycho~*DS*~
Banned
+64|6562

NASTIE_BUTLER wrote:

We had a group that started out together as a group of friends who blackhawked together.   Then we all joined BSF because one of us was a member.

They had a strict hierarchial structure and a code of conduct, weekly reports and meetings etc and it never accomplished anything.  It made a game more like work.

Anyway we got sick of it and one of us bought a TS server one afternoon so we all (about twenty or thirty) just started to use that instead. 

I believe since it was a huge group that just moved over with no one person claiming ownership of it (the clan) or the TS we became something unique.

-No seniority exists.
-If a fight occurs the two parties are encrouraged to work it out amongst themselves like adults and if one or both can't deal they just leave on their own.
-If any member wants to start a league, server, or any other project they can do it and it's success or failure depends entirely on their own effort and leadership ability.

One would think that a community with no leader, admin, or censor would fall into anarchy.  But we have been growing steadily and have all kept a strong bond for the last nine months.

Sounds like a great idea. However, I have heard some bad things about some of your members, not sure if it's true though.
drug_dealer111
+44|6604|Team America!!!
stats shouldnt be that big of a deal since they are always changing. get higher players to try and teach the lower ones some tricks...and win...get points...ect but i'd say make sure to get the mature players that can have fun together and dont spaz out if they die cuz someone didnt do something perfectly for them...thats just my idea
Beer_Ranger
+18|6737|usa
Yeah, ive been in clans/community whichever you want to call it before.  It all depends on the maturity level of the ppl involved.  Usally things start out great, but eventually afew asshats get in somehow and muck things up. Then afew are still around and are still a good buncha guys.   *shrugs*
FriiginChomper
+41|6744

NASTIE_BUTLER wrote:

-No seniority exists.

thats kind of like my clan, except not all members have admin, but most have half the admin rights (so they can kick, warn, ban, stuff like that) But our TS server only has a few admins.

all new members that want to join, get to join if the majority of the clan says they are ok. and once they join they get the rights depending on how much they participate and how well there conduct is.

there has never been a fight, except for small ones and all they're rights are temporarily banned until they work it out on their own.

and we haven't started a league yet so i don't know about that.

Our clan runs great, we have two ranked servers, a TS server, and a website.
the majority of the clan is below legal working age and so is the leader. We have ages ranging from 13-37 (i didn't do that on purpose)

We have a TWL team and all of our members take turns going in the matches so we don't fight about that.

but the bad parts are that not all of our members are very active, and they don't play on our servers Marjory, they play other places but we still get together alot and play on the weekends.

www.mistbf2.cwhnetworks.com
.Psycho~*DS*~
Banned
+64|6562
Nice website, maybe we can do a little scrim?

www.deltasoldiers.com
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6812|Human Meat Shield
Eh.. Our community/clan gives admin to those people that donate. Reason being: It shows our gratitude in giving some of your blood. Do all people get it? No, they have to follow basic conduct rules, don't want retards running your server if you know what I mean -- No god-like admining nor stupid kicking.

If Drama happens, in which it will and have to be honest, it has; both parties work it out, if not I get involved Someone has to say "sorry" otherwise no one is forcing the other individual in staying. Keeping 30 people in-line isnt an easy task.

New recruits are decided on a 2 week trial with being in a squad or being shadowed by a person that has been in our community/clan.

As a leader I take responsibility for everyones actions. So if they come to a knife/pistol, I have to account for thier misbehavior, and act accordingly; thats what a leader is all about, not turn the cheek.

Sounds like much of your Clan is more of a Gang that bullies others. So basically you are a GANG of regulars that play together..much like our COMMUNITY -- without the bully part.

Have a nice day.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6763|California

There is a god. we must worship god or be kicked off TeamSpeak.
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6870|Australia

stryyker wrote:

I am god. You must worship god or be kicked off TeamSpeak.
fix??
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6763|California

kontrolcrimson wrote:

stryyker wrote:

I am god. You must worship god or be kicked off TeamSpeak.
fix??
unfortunately, no. i dont have admin on TS
mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6582|The Lost Highway
Clans are gay.
NASTIE_BUTLER

imdead wrote:

Eh.. Our community/clan gives admin to those people that donate. Reason being: It shows our gratitude in giving some of your blood. Do all people get it? No, they have to follow basic conduct rules, don't want retards running your server if you know what I mean -- No god-like admining nor stupid kicking.

If Drama happens, in which it will and have to be honest, it has; both parties work it out, if not I get involved Someone has to say "sorry" otherwise no one is forcing the other individual in staying. Keeping 30 people in-line isnt an easy task.

New recruits are decided on a 2 week trial with being in a squad or being shadowed by a person that has been in our community/clan.

As a leader I take responsibility for everyones actions. So if they come to a knife/pistol, I have to account for thier misbehavior, and act accordingly; thats what a leader is all about, not turn the cheek.

Sounds like much of your Clan is more of a Gang that bullies others. So basically you are a GANG of regulars that play together..much like our COMMUNITY -- without the bully part.

Have a nice day.
Imdead the structure you have described is typical of most clans.

And I believe that structure is why a great number of excellent players don't join them.

The concept that we created is as effective as it is simple.   Basically we treat every member as an adult and full member right from acceptance. 

- Forcing someone to say sorry does not solve the problem.  Letting them work it out themselves does.  No  involvement from a third-party mitigator is necessary.  -----uneeded task eliminated

- Involving server access each member is trusted to use their own judgement.    No policing within the gang is needed.  -----uneeded task eliminated

- There is no one person in our group that would be pretentious or foolish enough to take responsibility for others actions in a VIDEO GAME.  -----uneeded task eliminated

- Recruitment involves a finding a good player - who is willing to learn - communicates - and is driven to win to hang out for an undetermined amount of time and a vote is started..the majority decides.

- In response to your Bullies comments.  You might be referring to us going to servers and dominating them as we are all on the same team.  We wouldn't have it any other way....we are driven to work as a team and reap the benefits of our ability to work tightly together.  Yes, I have likened us to a group of guys hanging out on a street corner....if you mess with one of us you mess with us all. 

Our members have freedom to do as they wish, no role calls, useless moral codes, established committees, cliches....a new member has as much influence as a veteran.  This environment has created a very tight group of people who have mutual respect above all else.

I believe our gang is a polar opposite of your typical clan.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6763|California

mKmalfunction wrote:

Clans are gay.
not much of a positive person, are you?
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6789|The United Center

NASTIE_BUTLER wrote:

-No seniority exists.

I actually really like that.  With everyone in the clan being on the same level, there's less room for power struggles and disagreements between members.  You're all there for one reason.  You all do your parts and everyone knows it.

I miss the Blackhawks.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6763|California

ThomasMorgan wrote:

I miss the Blackhawks.
dont we all
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6789|The United Center

stryyker wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

I miss the Blackhawks.
dont we all
Well I wouldn't if someone would actually play 1.03.

I remember all the sweet pillowtalk...

"TMo, come back to 1.03.  You can play with Patton and me, we'll BH whore Wake and Mashtuur!"

...we have yet to play a round.  Ass.
weapon6
+0|6562
I've started 2 clans, and one went down hill and the other did great.

I started the first clan without knowing shit about clans. I got a server and built a website and we grew fast.  At one point we had about 40 to 50 members. Then, I tried to get organized by getting us in tourney’s, help with the site, and people to contribute. But, no one really cared or helped, so I left realizing we recruited the wrong people for what I wanted to do. The people were cool to hang with, but never helped out and I did everything.

A few years later, I found a new game I liked to play, and started a new clan with servers and a website. This time I researched and found this site:

[url]http://www.atomicwarrior.com/clubs/clanbible/index.html[/url]

I organized and did mostly what it suggests. The clan ran great, we were #1 in ladders and everyone contributed something. But, the game died, and there were no other games we liked, so the clan eventually died too.

Since your posting these questions, I'm guessing that you are planning to take or share in leadership?

If plan to lead, you have to ask yourself what you want this clan to be. If you want to compete, have a server, and a website then I would follow the Clan Bible's advice. Otherwise you'll be doing all the work.

If you just want to hangout and frag with friends (without competing) then I wouldn’t make it a clan. Just frag with your friends and kick asshats who wonder on to TS.

You say, “It made a game more like work,” but clans are work. You don’t need to have a strict hierarchical structure and strict code of conduct, just have enough structure so everyone contributes. And kick the one’s who don’t contribute in some way.
Defiance
+438|6714

I thought this would be obvious.

Well.

It should be run well.

[/smartass]
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6763|California

ThomasMorgan wrote:

stryyker wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

I miss the Blackhawks.
dont we all
Well I wouldn't if someone would actually play 1.03.

I remember all the sweet pillowtalk...

"TMo, come back to 1.03.  You can play with Patton and me, we'll BH whore Wake and Mashtuur!"

...we have yet to play a round.  Ass.
arghs fucking a. between 12:00 PM and 9:00PM PST, thats usually when we are on kthx
weapon6
+0|6562
Our clan was organized like so:

Council:  Founders and a select few.

Active Member: Any active person recruited into Clan

Captain: A Leader of Competitive Member’s in practice and matches

Found my old word doc of our rules:

1) Members are NOT allowed to cheat or hack.

2) Members are NOT allowed to be in other clans, guilds, squadrons, etc.

3) Members are NOT allowed back into the clan if they quit or are banished.

4) Members are NOT allowed to slander other gamers or whine while using in game chat. Remember, when wearing our clan’s tag, you are representing the entire clan by your words and actions.

5) Members are REQUIRED to spend 10% of their gaming time helping the clan. The Clan is not a free-ride – nor does it run itself. Therefore, every hour of online gaming requires six minutes of help, which, everyone can do. You can help recruit, work on website, setup scrims, admin servers, donate, etc.

6) Members are REQUIRED to post at least one thread in the forums every three weeks. This allows members to stay informed of clan events, and notifies the clan, the member is still active. At the end of a member’s third inactive week, their status will be set to inactive. After a sixth inactive week, the members name will be deleted from the clan’s member list; resulting in banishment (exemption: rule #7).

7) Members are REQUIRED to post in the MIA forum for absences more than three weeks long, in which, their status will be changed to inactive. Following four months of excused absence time a members name will be removed from the members list. In order to renew membership that past member must reapply.

8) Members are ENCOURAGED to wear the clans tag at all times.

That’s it.

We didn’t allow whining or slander to be typed in game chat so other people didn’t think we were asshats, but we allowed it in TS until anyone else on TS got annoyed and said stop. We allowed swearing cus we weren’t kids.

We only encouraged members to have members wear the tags, incase they wanted to have fun smurfing

Council members were the only one’s who could let people in and out of the clan – which worked great. Democracies aren’t needed, and are hard to get to work right.

Everyone had server admin, cus everyone donated money even though to wasn’t required, but if people didn’t donate they wouldn’t get admin.

And anyone who didn’t help the clan would get kicked fast.

That’s about it
Schlusi=[GER]
+11|6564|4856 Karkand,Hellstreet 4
Hi folks,

I´m a clan-member (www.eurotrooper.net), but I´m so pisst off! The thing is the hirarchie. Some people think they were god, jesus or what ever.
The last few weeks I played with guys who are not organized (called "fun-clan"). Ok, they are using a prefix but u can come and leave how do u want. There are no fixed training times and so on.

BF2 is a game (LOVE it!) and no f***k Job.
I want to have fun with it and no stress because of training-times and nOObs who think they are God!

Love, peace and harmony!

Last edited by Schlusi=[GER] (2006-06-22 02:42:47)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard